AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2024-03-28, 00:19   Link #1
D10

Houseki no Kuni (Land of the Lustrous)

I didn't see a discussion thread about this series other than about the anime, and while the anime is fantastic -- I think the manga is just an incredible piece of work from both an artistic and story-telling perspective.

Although it's about to end, I felt like it's a series that's worth discussion, particularly as we've seen Phos' story play out now with the recent chapter.

There are a lot of times throughout this series where I've felt the paneling and/or artwork was drawn extremely well and excelled above other series in representing the various emotions that the characters were feeling and I'd say the Phos panels in the last chapter were probably the best in that regard so far.

There's probably like a chapter or two left, but if anyone's been following the series and has any thoughts, feel free to post here!
D10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-03-31, 12:21   Link #2
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I'm a big fan of the anime and actually thought the manga had just ended so I marathoned it this week. Of course the ending is going to be chapter 108.

Phos' journey was really quite something. Mostly full of suffering and misunderstanding. I hated how the entire conflict was resolved. The earth gems hated Phos for going to the Moon, yet when they were ultimately taken there, they integrated into Lunarian society easily like nothing ever happened. It felt like none of them ever really cared about Phos or tried to understand her in the end. The most reasonable one was Euclase, but the others only listened to her when it was convenient. By the end I didn't care about any of them, even the ones I used to love.

Not sure I like the nihilistic nature of the work. I've rarely seen a manga take it to this point. Humans were never said to have any redeeming features, and the fact nothing of humanity remains is seen as a very good thing.

Waiting to see what the final chapter will be like.

Tags
hnk, houseki, lustrous