AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Angel Beats!

Notices

View Poll Results: Angel Beats! - Episode 2 Rating
Perfect 10 20 21.51%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 30 32.26%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 30 32.26%
7 out of 10 : Good 8 8.60%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 3.23%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.08%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.08%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-04-14, 09:37   Link #1
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Angel Beats! - Episode 2 Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Angel Beats!, Episode 2.

Thread Guidelines
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Spoilers about future events must not be posted in this thread.
    If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if it has not aired yet.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
Spoiler Policy
  • Any spoiler that reveals future events, even under a spoiler tag, will be deleted.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    to locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Old 2010-04-14, 10:14   Link #2
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Was anyone else miffed at how the story introduces us this awesome guild and then it immediately has to be blown apart. It's a bit of a coincidence that Tenshi just happened to have shown up at the exact time that the SSS team showed up. Or was Tenshi tailing them from the start?

[edit]

Pellissier - It's great to finally see another person with a Summer Wars avatar.

Last edited by Haak; 2010-04-14 at 10:54.
Old 2010-04-14, 10:18   Link #3
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Was anyone else miffed at how the story introduces us this awesome guild and then it immediately has to be blown apart. It's a bit of a coincidence that Tenshi just happened to have shown up at the exact time that the SSS team showed up. Or was Tenshi tailing them from the start?
Well it seems that Tenshi is probably always looking for a way to slow down S3. Given that there was a previous Guild it seems that after a while Tenshi finds out where the Guild is and it has to be moved. It could just be that the story happened to start around the time Tenshi finds out where the new Guild is.

Plus the way the episode progressed was a great way to get Otonashi and Yuri alone so we could learn about her past and why shes leading this rebellion.

oh and man did they FAIL on that cannon lol.
Old 2010-04-14, 10:19   Link #4
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

I thought it was weird that Tenshi made it there before them but they didn't run into her on their way down. I guess there was more than one route down all of those levels or something.
Old 2010-04-14, 10:22   Link #5
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
I thought it was weird that Tenshi made it there before them but they didn't run into her on their way down. I guess there was more than one route down all of those levels or something.
Thats what i thought because when they are showing what corridor they are in there were also numbered so i figured there must be multiple ways to get into the Guild like one big maze to make it harder for enemies to navigate and to slow down Tenshi with the billion traps they had set up
Old 2010-04-14, 10:46   Link #6
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Well it's been suggested that the traps suddenly went online and got nastier, so we could assume that maybe Guild detected that Tenshi was coming and activated them at almost the same time SSS decided to come.
Old 2010-04-14, 11:10   Link #7
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Well it's been suggested that the traps suddenly went online and got nastier, so we could assume that maybe Guild detected that Tenshi was coming and activated them at almost the same time SSS decided to come.
I thought they said the Guild was suppose to turn them off but then they found out Tenshi was coming and turned them back on. Are they automated or do they need to be turned off by someone in the Guild?
Old 2010-04-14, 12:01   Link #8
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
I thought they said the Guild was suppose to turn them off but then they found out Tenshi was coming and turned them back on. Are they automated or do they need to be turned off by someone in the Guild?
The implication I got was that they can be turned on and off from somewhere inside Guild, and their monitors told them that Tenshi was coming so they scrambled to turn them back on, despite the combat arm of the SSS's plan that day.
Old 2010-04-14, 13:33   Link #9
SidVicious
Anime addict

TK = awesome
Old 2010-04-14, 14:28   Link #10
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

I found it more interesting how some of the traps were very sophisticated. I mean, cutting Lasers!? and some of them look like it took them ages to design and build. Just who were these people when they were alive?
Old 2010-04-14, 14:38   Link #11
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
I found it more interesting how some of the traps were very sophisticated. I mean, cutting Lasers!? and some of them look like it took them ages to design and build. Just who were these people when they were alive?
No joke, there was actually a 'Laser Club' in my old college.
Old 2010-04-14, 16:35   Link #12
Edgewalker
Nani ?

Quote:
A Wizard did it.
Old 2010-04-14, 17:21   Link #13
SwiftStrike
Reaching for the Heavens

they kinda do look more human-proof than angel-proof lol
Old 2010-04-14, 17:31   Link #14
Dextro
He Without a Title

Well I enjoyed this episode a lot more than the first one and I do mean a LOT. The pacing was right now that everyone and the setting were "introduced" in the first episode and also the gags had enough room to actually be funny instead of being crammed in just to prove that it's a comedy.

As for the story I have to say I'm not really expecting much more than a story filled with funny ways of the characters getting killed but since this is Key and Jun Maeda we're talking about I'm pretty sure that things will eventually get serious and we'll get an interesting story to look forward to. I do believe however that the best way to enjoy this is not to expect too much and just laugh at the jokes so I'll stick around.
Old 2010-04-14, 17:34   Link #15
yononaka
nani ni tatoemu

Quote:
Trap otaku? High school physics club members?

I remember people were discussing earlier about why don't they make nukes, and some were saying that may be too complicated for them. Compared to guns, sure; but if they can make lasers, maybe not.
Old 2010-04-14, 17:47   Link #16
Emerald Emblem
Casual gaming

I do believe the traps are there basically to stall for time, I mean how do you hurt a being blessed by god?

Current Anime DVD: Kannagi + Clannad AS <3 | Current Anime Blu Ray: None </3
Old 2010-04-14, 20:01   Link #17
Kudryavka

I still think that there should've been a trap where the trespasser gets headshot. I mean, Angel only activates Distortion after she's been attacked, so if the first trap was an automated sniper, she'd be down. Considering that her actions are controlled by her brain, she wouldn't be able to heal either.
Old 2010-04-14, 20:48   Link #18
Matt122005

Perhaps its only me, but I'm getting some strong vibes that this series is going to get deep.....very deep.

This isn't just your average story they've got going here, this is a story with some serious religious/philosophical undertones.

I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with it.

Also, did anyone notice the quick brief fact that was introduced?

"Nobody who is here committed suicide."

A quick fact that was thrown out fast that I suspect is going to play a bigger role in the story later on.

So you have a group of people fighting against an entity called "Angel", who have no real knowledge of who she is or who she works for, other than that people who obey her disappear eventually.

They don't want to disappear, but they also don't know what will happen if they do.

The girl mentions that she is fighting God, but at the same time, admits that she doesn't know whether he even exists.

It should also be mentioned that there is no reference to "God's", plural, or spirits. The only reference to a deity has been "God" singular. Which means its already taking a unique approach to a story about "what happens when you die" in Japan, considering that there is a only a small percentage of people there that have a belief in a single God.

The main character's forgotten memories will most likely play another huge role in the story. But as to how, I'm not sure.

Either way, this will be interesting.

Also, added note. The likelihood that this is "purgatory" I believe is low. There aren't enough people there, they don't get that many new recruits that often, and only a couple of people are non-Japanese? I think KEY's writers came up with something unique and new for us to try and figure out.
Old 2010-04-14, 20:53   Link #19
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

Key is always about philosophy on life.

All their other works have been based around themes, e.g. Clannad and family.

With Angel Beats!, I think Jun Maeda said it was life.
Old 2010-04-14, 21:28   Link #20
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Sophisticated...but hardly original.