2 out of 10: Very Bad... 0 0%
1 out of 10: Torturous... 0 0%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-05-01, 01:57   Link #141
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
But this isn't the episode to show that as an example. There was no reason to have the Gundam disassembled in the first place. The situation was made more hectic and dangerous because they had to launch both parts into the sky and have them dock there. If Flit just pulled up with a ready Gundam then it would have been fine. Flit trying to be cool isn't a desperate situation.
Once again, he was probably trying to hide it's development in the first place. You know just like how he was hiding the AGE-1 during Asemu's arc? We know the Vagans FEAR the Gundam (Gundam type MS) and have actually tried looking for the Gundam and AGE-System, having it not as a complete MS vastly helps its disguise and transportation. Also seeing that the AGE-3 in it's Ware parts seems to have good (if not better) mobility under atmospheric condition than putting it on say, a transportation truck, added with the extra disguise advantage, so it is also quite logical moving them around that way.

The suggestion of flying in with a complete Gundam into an active warzone is insane. Flying in as a Gundam-type MS, which is THE number one target for the Vagan, just draws more attention especially during a full on invasion, Flit will be engaging in full on MS battle before he would even reach Kio, by that time Kio would've been toasted.

Quote:
The bad idea is making the core of the Gundam some fighter that can be shot down. Keeping AGE-3 as one Gundam and simply having the ware parts be more advanced in terms of self-defence should be easier than doing this.
No it isn't. You've seem to have completely missed the point that before the core part of the AGE-1/2 is the full body and the head minus the limbs, when the AGE-1/2 loses it's limbs the body/head part is pretty defenseless (no more or no less than the Core Fighter at this point in the story, but I believe the Core Fighter actually has AGE-2 style missile packs on it which turns into the AGE-3 backpack, so the Core Fighter is actually more capable), PLUS added the fact that 1) it is carrying a lot of dead weight, and 2) not capable of flight, the evolution to the Core Fighter is completely an advancement because the Core Fighter is the head and the backpack thus giving it plenty of thrust to fly under atmospheric conditions, and right now the battle ground is on Earth so gravity and lift etc are now factors, which makes this a KEY factor in why the Core Fighter concept is an advantage.

Last edited by houkoholic; 2012-05-01 at 02:07.
houkoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-01, 05:12   Link #142
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Or, you know, combining mecha are just cool.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-01, 05:26   Link #143
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to Patriot's Blade
i could've sworn that the Superior Gundam from Sentinel makes combining mechas looks realistic & could happen in our everyday lives too
"legends said that Alto Saotome made a correct decision, he left both Ranka Lee & Sheryl Nome to marry the skies & proceed to make love with her, it was a long sight to behold according to the witnesses, the sky is now pregnant"
Patriot's Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-01, 05:59   Link #144
solidvanz
Special Operative

From what I can see, this episode have better starter than previous arcs. I'm really impress with the introduction of AGE-3, really Super Robot-ish than other Gundams. Can't wait to look forward with the next episode.
Old 2012-05-01, 13:56   Link #145
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
The Core Fighter making the AGE System vulnerable is no different than that period of time when the Normal wear parts are ejected to switch to another wear.
Let's be honest here, that was never really a practical use of military hardware.
Yes it works great for a lead gundam in a flashy way which is something I'm kinda fine with but as a fine piece of military hardware, the docking/swapping of parts on the battle field isn't exactly practical(well ok the ease and speedy nature of it is practical but it would never really work)
A lead Gundam has plot armour cause you know for sure when the parts are being exchanged that makes it a sitting duck with a giant moon sized bulleyes on it and any pilot would take that chance to blast it to peices in a matter of seconds but this being anime and a lead gundam it's saved from that particular fault.

I see docking gundams as more of a special unit for more specific roles like when the Impulse did that cave run in SEED.
But as a war machine, gundams should really be flying outta the launch bay as one whole unit and battle ready from the very get go.

Yes I know Gundam as a whole has never really been very military savy(child pilots tend to push the sense of disbelief pretty far) and I can accept that fact but don't mean I can't nitpick at what feels totally off which honestly speaking tends to be quite alot of stuff in Gundam.

Quote:
The suggestion of flying in with a complete Gundam into an active warzone is insane.
You will have to more detailed here, I see nothing "insane" about flying into a warzone with a complete and working battle ready MS, rather than fly in in parts and assemble in the middle of a warzone when you stand a great chance of being shot down during assembly.
Instead if your in a complete and battle ready MS you can fight from the very moment you set foot onto the theater of war.
Old 2012-05-01, 15:18   Link #146
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

If you're going to pull "military hardware" realism card, you might as well just go the whole nine yards and say they wouldn't have built mobile suits in the first place, since it's entirely unfeasible to create.
Old 2012-05-01, 15:39   Link #147
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

The grandpa/grandson with crap load of history card? Me likes.

One complaint though: how repetitive can you get with side character designs? I mean can't the girlfriend at least not be a damn childhood friend for once. And how hard is it to come up with some original close friends for the guy; apparently too hard, hello Fat Guy Mk3. I hope this is some wierd guddamn homage like the stupid mask.
Old 2012-05-01, 15:52   Link #148
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
If you're going to pull "military hardware" realism card, you might as well just go the whole nine yards and say they wouldn't have built mobile suits in the first place, since it's entirely unfeasible to create.
It's not about pulling the realism card cause like I said it's fine as it is as a anime it's it's own flashy way, the flashy way is part of the series and I'm fine with that.

But doesn't mean I can't nitpick at what goes against what I've grown up knowing almost my whole adult life.

There are 3 ways to look at anime, 1) the realistic way 2) the anime way or 3)abit of both.
Gundam I feel could do with 3) abit of both but I certainly don't view the series in a realistic way, thats simply daft given what it is.
But if I feel like then I'll apply what I think is "off" to the content of the show and go from there, it's not right or wrong cause who knows.
Way I see it the AGE system works great in the anime cause it's entertaining and flashy but is flawed as assembling military equipment on the battlefield comes with far too many risks than it does advantages.
Debate over that all you want but thats my opinion.

2 sided debates about gundam is old stuff but fun none the less. Always interesting to hear the many views on the wonder tech.
Old 2012-05-01, 16:48   Link #149
Vsin
Aldracity

The presentation in this episode was wholly unrealistic, but the concept of a core block system is not, even if it's the way AGE pulled it off.

The base concept is essentially an ejectable cockpit, which is doubly important since the cockpit also contains the AGE system. In a real combat scenario, you probably would've already assembled the parts before launching, like how it usually worked in ZZ. Also, it's far easier to hide when you're driving around in a box as opposed to attempting to walk/fly a mobile suit clear across the town.

Now, the idea of assembling the thing smack dab in the middle of the battlefield? Yeah, that's just Flit being crazy. I'll chalk it up to suspension of disbelief there.
Vsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-01, 16:49   Link #150
kakakka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vsin View Post
Now, the idea of assembling the thing smack dab in the middle of the battlefield? Yeah, that's just Flit being crazy. I'll chalk it up to suspension of disbelief there.
Wouldn't surprise me if they pull this off many times.
kakakka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-01, 21:21   Link #151
Sinzz
Orange

While the whole "docking in a battlefield" seems a bit crazy, they did manage to pull it off, by adding a small sense of danger along with it when the Danazine tried to attack it. Overall I also feel that the whole docking thing is unnecessary, especially when it seems that the Core Fighter doesnt have any real defense mechanisms.

An example would be, what if the Wear that he was trying to dock with got shot down? He'd have to fly around until he could get another one? Not safe. but then again, Plot Armor saves the day.
Sinzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-01, 21:27   Link #152
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

The G-Cepter and its attached Wear getting shot down seems unlikely--unlike the Titus, Sparrow, and Double Bullet Wears, the AGE-3's Normal, Fortress, and Orbital Wears are all heavily armored and structurally sturdier than the Wear Exchange, so they'd be hard-pressed to destroy it. The Core Fighter's more likely to be shot down, but even that's unlikely; it's got the same armor and it's a smaller, faster target.
Old 2012-05-01, 22:08   Link #153
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
The G-Cepter and its attached Wear getting shot down seems unlikely--unlike the Titus, Sparrow, and Double Bullet Wears, the AGE-3's Normal, Fortress, and Orbital Wears are all heavily armored and structurally sturdier than the Wear Exchange, so they'd be hard-pressed to destroy it. The Core Fighter's more likely to be shot down, but even that's unlikely; it's got the same armor and it's a smaller, faster target.
Even if the core fighter has the the same armour as the MS it can still take dmg and it's not really about dodging hits as a fighter but being a giant target in it's assembly phase which I'd hazard a guess and say it would be.
Assembling a MS on the battlefield is very risky and can be avoided but we get it anyway cause it's flashy and cool and as it's said plot armour saves the day and as we know nothing beats plot armour!
Wish I had plot armour in RL, would be great!
Old 2012-05-01, 22:17   Link #154
larethian

Docking in battlefield is pretty much always safe in Gundam shows. Wait, there are no tropes on that??
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-01, 22:20   Link #155
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonta Kun View Post
You will have to more detailed here, I see nothing "insane" about flying into a warzone with a complete and working battle ready MS, rather than fly in in parts and assemble in the middle of a warzone when you stand a great chance of being shot down during assembly.
Instead if your in a complete and battle ready MS you can fight from the very moment you set foot onto the theater of war.
Well it depends on how they're going to be doing it from then on.

For the record, since the Vagan infilitration is very deep, it would make sense to put parts of the Gundam in separate locations and when the time came, the components could make their way together to form the Gundam.

Think of it this way, it's a fighter and a tank, in comparison that'd be a low priority target compared to an actual MS. By the time the two components came together it'd be too late for the Vagans to realize that it's an actual Gundam.

Now for the next battles if they go Gundam SEED Destiny style where they launch all components and spend 5 minutes putting the unit together then I can see the issue. If it's just the first time and from then on the Gundam launches as a single unit then it's fine.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-01, 23:47   Link #156
whx_epic

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
Docking in battlefield is pretty much always safe in Gundam shows. Wait, there are no tropes on that??
Yes there is. Look at the tropes Transformation is a Free Action.
whx_epic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-02, 01:07   Link #157
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Plus, the Vagans are terrible shots. They can't hit semi-sized ground vehicles at practically point blank range.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-02, 02:07   Link #158
bio9205
Reborn

Some of you guys are missing the point - the whole purpose of having the Core Fighter separate from the body is to allow for an easier switching of wears, and not assembling the Gundam in the battlefield.
bio9205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-02, 04:33   Link #159
Sinzz
Orange

I wouldn't say that we're missing the point per se, because when will he be switching wears? If he's switching them in a safe location then I personally don't see the point in having a core fighter as that would be a hassle if in a, let's say, bunker or something. Kio will most likely be using it while going to a fight or during a fight.

Though it would make more sense if they were switching wears in an atmosphere. If it were the old style of switching on earth, the torso would just fall to the ground once it pops off the limbs...unless it was done while airborn...then I'm just contradicting myself.. XD
Sinzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-02, 11:34   Link #160
wencong1356

to me, this core fighter thing is to protect the age system, after what happened to age 2
wencong1356 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weekly episode discussion