AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2010-10-05, 17:20   Link #3041
Othello~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by keri View Post
I'm almost positive that some of these things, if not all, will be addressed in book 10, or maybe even 11. We really don't know that much about her yet, and the problem is compounded by the split narrative, I'm sure.
Yeah, that's another reason why I hate waiting for the next book to come out .
Othello~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-06, 01:39   Link #3042
ijuinkun

Quote:
Originally Posted by B2-Lancer View Post
I'm just trying to wrap my arms around Haruhi's world, but one of the things I found interesting with Yuki Nagato/The Data Entities is the remark she made about her/their reluctance to alter the weather during the baseball game episode. One must wonder just why do they really care how her slight weather modifications (which really would've helped things out in that episode) would affect someplace in a few hundred years? Even if it's mere "altruism", why bother mind the welfare of us relative amoebas? Does this imply that they believe Haurhi's "God reign" is pretty much a permanent status quo so they try not to mess with her creations (which says much about how much they'll ever glean of her reality generating power to create their own universe) or that there's even a greater "reality" beyond her that must be respected and cared for?
Notice that Yuki never indicated just how severe the long-term weather effects would be--for all we know, in just a few months the effects could decay to a level that mere humans could not even detect, much less care about. I think that she was using it as an excuse to talk Kyon out of trying to get the game canceled because she, like Koizumi, believed that Haruhi would react adversely to being unable to complete the game.
ijuinkun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-06, 12:25   Link #3043
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijuinkun View Post
I think that she was using it as an excuse to talk Kyon out of trying to get the game canceled because she, like Koizumi, believed that Haruhi would react adversely to being unable to complete the game.
Has Yuki ever used that kind of subtlety before? It just doesn't seem like her.
Old 2010-10-06, 15:57   Link #3044
Othello~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer_2k4 View Post
Has Yuki ever used that kind of subtlety before? It just doesn't seem like her.
She probably wants to get data or something from the baseball game. With that as an explaination, it seems very much like her (to collect data from Haruhi Suzumiya has been the only thing she's really "cared" about).
Old 2010-10-06, 20:01   Link #3045
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

I'm sure she does want data, but the question remains. Isn't Yuki one to say what she wants or to not say anything at all?
Old 2010-10-07, 03:11   Link #3046
ijuinkun

Recall that Yuki's mission is to interfere with Haruhi's actions as little as possible while collecting data. As such, she would be reluctant to force the cancellation of Haruhi's baseball game unless Kyon insisted upon it. Note that she advised against changing the weather, but still implied that she would be willing to do it if he insisted.
Old 2010-10-09, 23:57   Link #3047
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othello~ View Post
I sort of wonder this too . . . (spoilers for book nine)

Spoiler for spoilers:

Pretty confusing . . .
Spoiler for spoiler:
Old 2010-10-10, 02:34   Link #3048
ijuinkun

My personal theory is that Haruhi desired an arch-rival, and so her power took Kyon's previous girlfriend (i.e. the strongest existing rival for his heart outside of the SOS-dan), and built her into an anti-Haruhi, complete with her own esper, time-traveler, and alien factions. Haruhi's subconscious probably looks forward to defeating her "evil twin" in a battle of supposed equals.
Old 2010-10-10, 09:06   Link #3049
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
My personal theory is that Haruhi desired an arch-rival, and so her power took Kyon's previous girlfriend (i.e. the strongest existing rival for his heart outside of the SOS-dan), and built her into an anti-Haruhi, complete with her own esper, time-traveler, and alien factions. Haruhi's subconscious probably looks forward to defeating her "evil twin" in a battle of supposed equals.
There's that possibility as well. I think I remember when that one was first brought up on these forums...
Old 2010-10-10, 09:26   Link #3050
Othello~
*Author

Quote:
Spoiler for stuff:
Old 2010-10-10, 16:52   Link #3051
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Spoiler for stuff:
Spoiler for Reply:
Old 2010-10-10, 20:09   Link #3052
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
Why do fans classify haruhi as a god when there more to it than that?
Old 2010-10-10, 20:20   Link #3053
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guernsey View Post
Basically because Haruhi can do whatever she likes, she can repeat time (Endless Eight) make things happen (Murder Case) very good at everything she does (Baseball, Athletics) has people who follow her (Time Travelers, Espers, Aliens) many more for fans to think of her as a god
Old 2010-10-10, 20:24   Link #3054
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Because it is fun?
Old 2010-10-10, 20:28   Link #3055
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Because it is fun?
There is also that
Old 2010-10-10, 23:11   Link #3056
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
It might...just might...have something to do with people in the actual series calling her a god. That and the whole "doing things that only a god could do" stuff previously mentioned...
Old 2010-10-11, 00:48   Link #3057
ijuinkun

Quote:
Spoiler for stuff:
I think that she wants the glory/ego boost that comes from beating somebody who might actually stand a chance against her--a battle of "equals". She may want to feel like the underdog sometimes, just so that she can come up from behind and win (e.g. winning in the last inning in the baseball game).
Old 2010-10-11, 01:00   Link #3058
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

Quote:
It's because "god" is the simplest way to refer to what Haruhi is capable of. Mikuru's description of her is little more than "she keeps us from going more than three years in the past," which doesn't foster especially useful descriptors for Haruhi. Yuki calls Haruhi the potential for evolution because of her ability to create data (and arguably the power of true creation is solely within the domain of the divine). Itsuki thinks that the world is but a dream of Haruhi's and consequently confirms my point above that the creation and destruction associated with that explanation are abilities found only in a god.

The most relevant way of describing Haruhi is as someone one step above Yuki (a person who Kyon routinely refers to as "Great Goddess Nagato"). At any rate, while you say there's so much more to Haruhi than "god," the truth is that it all boils down to his: Haruhi can alter the world at will. How else would you describe such a being?

--

I found something rather interesting while looking up the actual descriptions of Haruhi in the first novel. Mikuru gives the following account of the structure of time:

"Even if I attempted to change history in this age it would not affect the future, because there is no continuity between time frames. Everything would stay in this temporal plane."

Isn't this at odds with the many, many instances of people going back in time and doing something that totally affects the future? We don't really need to look any farther than Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody, where we find out that the only reason Haruhi starts the SOS Brigade is because Kyon traveled back in time (using Mikuru's methods!) and influenced her to go to North High. Additionally, the whole movie is predicated on time travel affecting the future, and I remember several cases in other novels where people go back in time to either cause something to happen or prevent something from happening.

So what's the deal here? Am I misunderstanding the description Mikuru gives? Is she wrong/mistaken/misleading? Is there just a huge break in continuity? What gives?
Old 2010-10-11, 02:36   Link #3059
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Easy answer is: Haruhi breaks the rules of time travel.

Harder explaination? Mikuru may be correct, but her description is likely extremely simplistic and missing pieces that are difficult to explain (to Kyon). In each time travel instance, the time travelers are still uneffected by the time travel and the future seems uneffected by the time travel. Mikuru (BIG) is there in the past both times Kyon goes there as if nothing happened. In the "second" case, if things from the "present" are correct, Mikuru (BIG) shouldn't exist anymore, yet she does, because she was there before and yet the time plane was not effected by the changes (or so it seems).

However Mikuru's people still seem to steer Kyon to get things done (they don't do things themselves in the past). This is where one questions how things happen in the future. Are these things needed to make sure Mikuru's time exists, or are they done because with Haruhi (via Kyon) involved, it makes it so the time travelers need to make sure things happen. Either because, Haruhi breaks the rules, or because Haruhi wants them to do something or else their would be no reason for the time travelers to even be hanging around (and thus make Mikuru even more useless than she already is).
Old 2010-10-11, 02:49   Link #3060
Joe4evr
(Ex-)Seitenkan VN coder

Location: Slightly south-west of the exact center of this country's X and Y axes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer_2k4 View Post
So what's the deal here? Am I misunderstanding the description Mikuru gives? Is she wrong/mistaken/misleading? Is there just a huge break in continuity? What gives?
Perhaps Mikuru was talking about it being a Stable Time Loop. Even if you go back in time, you couldn't really change anything since, from the linear point of view, you were already there. See volume 7 for example.
Joe4evr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, kadokawa, school life, science fiction, shounen