AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Code Geass

Notices

Old 2009-09-15, 00:15   Link #6121
Betteroffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobodyman9 View Post
She didn't slice it into three pieces. She just swatted it dead.

Anyway, interesting news GundamFan. I wasn't really getting my hopes up with the upcoming Newtype article, but now I think we really may get something. I hope so
I just looked at the scene again, and the bee VERY clearly broke into three pieces of its head, thorax, and abdomen.

I would hope this new material would be something like a new series, retelling, or an OVA, but I'm not getting my hopes up yet.
Betteroffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-15, 00:18   Link #6122
Nobodyman9
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamFan0083 View Post
I really hope so as well.
R2 as Taniguchi meant it to be would be excellent IMHO, but probably expecting too much.

And if it's an R3 (or whatever they would name a sequel), I hope that they don't screw up the story with something like, Oh BTW, that cart driver was Lelouch. That would just make my blood boil.
If they resurrect Lelouch for a sequel, I hope to god they do it right.
The main problem I have with a remake of R2 as Taniguchi "meant it to be" is that from what I've heard the way Taniguchi intended it isn't really all that different from what we actually. I just don't think it's worth all that time and effort to just remake the same series while only making a few minor changes.

Anyway, I'm still not getting my hopes up too much, but I would be please with anything new and Code Geass-related. An OVA would be great, as would a movie. A new series might be asking too much, but I would gladly welcome it. Personally, if they did make a new series, I'd prefer an entirely new series with new characters or a sequel, but it would have to be done really good.
Nobodyman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-15, 00:21   Link #6123
GundamFan0083

Quote:
The main problem I have with a remake of R2 as Taniguchi "meant it to be" is that from what I've heard the way Taniguchi intended it isn't really all that different from what we actually. I just don't think it's worth all that time and effort to just remake the same series while only making a few minor changes.

Anyway, I'm still not getting my hopes up too much, but I would be please with anything new and Code Geass-related. An OVA would be great, as would a movie. A new series might be asking too much, but I would gladly welcome it. Personally, if they did make a new series, I'd prefer an entirely new series with new characters or a sequel, but it would have to be done really good.
You're probably right.

I thought I read somewhere that R2 was changed quite a bit due to the timeslot change...LiveJournal I think is where I read that...but like you said, it isn't very likely that we'll see R2 redone.

An OVA would be nice.
GundamFan0083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-15, 00:29   Link #6124
NoLongerSane

If they do another animation of Code Geass, I hope that they get the same animation team and character designers. One of the main reasons that this anime caught my eye was that one of the character designers did designs for the women of Gaogaigar, Godannar, and Betterman and I thought I recognized the designs with Kallen and C.C.
NoLongerSane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-15, 00:30   Link #6125
Nobodyman9
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betteroffer View Post
I just looked at the scene again, and the bee VERY clearly broke into three pieces of its head, thorax, and abdomen.
Hmm, you're right.
Old 2009-09-15, 00:32   Link #6126
Betteroffer

Quote:
If I recall, some article said that Turn 25 was the only episode that really went mostly as it was intended from the very beginning. As for changes, there is the confirmation that Lelouch was supposed to win on Kamine, mentions that there was never a timeskip in the original, the promise of seeing Suzaku's connection to Geass, along with C.C.'s and Kallen's backstories, and another Shirley subplot, and you've got a decent amount of altered material. There is also the probability that the warfare would be kept more on strategy and the KMF's would remain closer to Real Robots for a lot longer, if not the whole series.
Old 2009-09-15, 00:48   Link #6127
Nobodyman9
Banned

Quote:
If I recall, some article said that Turn 25 was the only episode that really went mostly as it was intended from the very beginning. As for changes, there is the confirmation that Lelouch was supposed to win on Kamine, mentions that there was never a timeskip in the original, the promise of seeing Suzaku's connection to Geass, along with C.C.'s and Kallen's backstories, and another Shirley subplot, and you've got a decent amount of altered material. There is also the probability that the warfare would be kept more on strategy and the KMF's would remain closer to Real Robots for a lot longer, if not the whole series.
Hmm, you're right.
Old 2009-09-15, 01:26   Link #6128
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
In other words, a timeskip in anime translates as "get ready for a retarded continuation".

For more info, check Naruto's "three years of trainning for nothing"
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-15, 01:36   Link #6129
NoLongerSane

Quote:
Originally Posted by roriconfan View Post
In other words, a timeskip in anime translates as "get ready for a retarded continuation".

For more info, check Naruto's "three years of trainning for nothing"
Well, it would depend on the situation. Will the director be the one in charge of the series to have his ideas created or will the company Sunrise be the ones that has final say on what is going to be animated and what is not.
Old 2009-09-15, 01:55   Link #6130
Paladinoras
Pancakes

Well, if Code Geass is gonna have another series... I want to know three things.

- For god's sake, is Lelouch alive or not? Make it so obviously sure that no one can argue over it anymore.

- What happened to Kallen and Co after the final battle?

- What is C.C gonna do now..?

Credit to Godlike1889 for the sig!
Paladinoras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-15, 02:23   Link #6131
darthfury78

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLongerSane View Post
Well, it would depend on the situation. Will the director be the one in charge of the series to have his ideas created or will the company Sunrise be the ones that has final say on what is going to be animated and what is not.
Taniguchi will no doubt be in charge with producing the next Code Geass project. Despite everything, the series made a lot of money for Sunrise. And there is still a lot of unresolved issues that Taniguchi was forced to omit from Code Geass R2.

In fact, it seems that remakes of popular anime are in vogue these days. I only want to see a remake of Code Geass R2 that starts were the orginal completed scripts (Stage 26, Stage 27, and Stage 28) had left off.

From what I have read, the original format for Code Geass R2 might have been much different than what we got. Even if the Zero Requiem does occur. I just can't see a Code Geass R3 unless Code Geass R2 gets remade to it's original format that the producers were forced to drop.
darthfury78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-15, 02:30   Link #6132
darthfury78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladinoras View Post
Well, if Code Geass is gonna have another series... I want to know three things.

- For god's sake, is Lelouch alive or not? Make it so obviously sure that no one can argue over it anymore.

- What happened to Kallen and Co after the final battle?

- What is C.C gonna do now..?
I think that it's best for the producers to leave the current version of Code Geass R2 as is because that version of the second season is over. Let the fans who like this version speculate whether Lelouch is alive or not. Considering the problems that the producers had with making the second season, they probably feel that it's best not to continue the story from where Turn 25 had left off. The ending was quite nice. Just like the first series of Fullmetal Alchemist.
Old 2009-09-15, 02:57   Link #6133
Xander

Quote:
If I recall, some article said that Turn 25 was the only episode that really went mostly as it was intended from the very beginning.
For the sake of clarity, here's the relevant part of an interview with the writer in Continue volume 42:

-----Congratulations on the completion of "Code Geass"!! It was a shocking final episode; did you have a difficult time writing it, Mr. Okouchi?

Okouchi: No. The last episode wasn't difficult at all; in fact, it was the middle parts of R2 that turned out to be rough going. For the final episode, [I'd/we'd] already decided on the ending when writing the script for the first episode of the previous series. Episode 1, Episode 25 (Episode 1 and the final episode of the previous series) and episode 25 of R2 -- these episodes did not deviate much from our original plans.

If we take his words literally, only three episodes in the entire show, including both seasons, can be said to follow the original plans. That's probably too narrow for it to be an accurate interpretation though...

Quote:
As for changes, there is the confirmation that Lelouch was supposed to win on Kamine
This was mentioned before too, I believe, but was later confirmed during an event summarized here (LJ).

Quote:
the promise of seeing Suzaku's connection to Geass, along with C.C.'s and Kallen's backstories, and another Shirley subplot, and you've got a decent amount of altered material.
Generally speaking that's right, but I would still like to comment on those.

Suzaku's connection to Geass is the worst of those, by more than a mile, since apparently they didn't just decide to leave that out of the show, despite heavily hinting that it would be important. They retroactively removed it from continuity and left him as a mere superhuman with unexplained powers. That really is a wallbanger in my eyes.

In C.C.'s case the obvious issue would be actually finding out what her real name was, although I don't think it was ever strictly necessary for the story to work and can be explained away as an intentional, if very sloppy, omission since only Lelouch would need to know. The basics of her origin were, however, revealed to the audience during R2 so there was at least some undeniable progress. More details would have been welcome though.

I don't believe there's been a specific reference to any new Shirley subplot, but most fans tend to assume that would be a matter of continuing on from where we last saw her instead of having Charles rewrite her memories between seasons. There's really no telling what would happen, although her future didn't look too bright.

Kallen's backstory wasn't exactly a loose thread though. It's just that there was an expectation of seeing much more about it, but that was mostly fan created for all I know (including my own original hopes to that effect). Her mother gave her a new motivation to fight, her brother was already dead (so other than a flashback there was nothing else to expect...unless you want him to be secretly working for Britannia or something crazy like that) and her absent father was barely referenced at all. There wasn't any immediate plot necessity to go back to any of this, although it would have been nice to do so if you ask me. That's just a personal preference, mind you.

Quote:
There is also the probability that the warfare would be kept more on strategy and the KMF's would remain closer to Real Robots for a lot longer, if not the whole series.
That's more of a popular desire than something worth taking for granted, but one can always hope. I don't think that would have eliminated technological progression from the show though, given everything we had seen during the first season alone (flight packs, Siegfried, Gawain, Avalon). At most it would have slowed down, I guess.

And then there's the whole debate about how the Real Robot genre has almost never escaped from its Super Robot roots, long before Code Geass ever aired, but let's not go there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthfury78 View Post
Taniguchi will no doubt be in charge with producing the next Code Geass project.
I'm actually not betting on that myself, but here's another relevant quote from Continue.

-----Now that you've finished your work on "Code Geass", which has spanned almost 5 years, what kind of show do you think it's turned out to be, Mr. Okouchi?

Okouchi: Starting with Mr. Taniguchi himself, I think the staff members for Code Geass were a 2-Years-Only Dream Team that can never be assembled again. For example, in the art department, we have CLAMP, Mr. Kimura Takahiro, Ms. Chiba Yuriko, Mr. Nakatani Seiichi, Mr. Yasuda Akira, Mr. Nakada Eiji, Mr. Teraoka Kenji -- usually these people take on whole projects by themselves, and yet we have a number of them here. Mr. Yoshida, the sub-series compositionist, was my junior back in university, which was why I was able to casually ask him for a favour, but under normal circumstances he would be the head series compositionist. I'm thankful to be able to have been part of such an extravagant production.

All of this has probably been posted before, the credit for the Continue translations goes to Celiss Galvea.

Last edited by Xander; 2009-09-15 at 03:09.
Xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-15, 11:04   Link #6134
darthfury78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander View Post
I'm actually not betting on that myself, but here's another relevant quote from Continue.

-----Now that you've finished your work on "Code Geass", which has spanned almost 5 years, what kind of show do you think it's turned out to be, Mr. Okouchi?

Okouchi: Starting with Mr. Taniguchi himself, I think the staff members for Code Geass were a 2-Years-Only Dream Team that can never be assembled again. For example, in the art department, we have CLAMP, Mr. Kimura Takahiro, Ms. Chiba Yuriko, Mr. Nakatani Seiichi, Mr. Yasuda Akira, Mr. Nakada Eiji, Mr. Teraoka Kenji -- usually these people take on whole projects by themselves, and yet we have a number of them here. Mr. Yoshida, the sub-series compositionist, was my junior back in university, which was why I was able to casually ask him for a favour, but under normal circumstances he would be the head series compositionist. I'm thankful to be able to have been part of such an extravagant production.

All of this has probably been posted before, the credit for the Continue translations goes to Celiss Galvea.
The same creative team can be reassembled for the right kind of money. There is still a lot of work to do with Code Geass. Especially with remaking Code Geass R2 since it left a lot of important infomation out of the story. Considering how successful the series was, Sunrise might allow a remake of the second season. In fact, I understand that not too long ago, Taniguchi had a Q&A session about Code Geass in Japan with the fans. There is so much support to see a remake of the second season.

The only reason why Sunrise might have changed Code Geass R2's original timeslot was because they lost the Saturday evening timeslot for Gundam 00 for the Fall 2008 season. Because of that, Sunrise was given the Sunday 5PM option. Why would Sunrise accept a 5PM timeslot that doesn't attract a very large audience, in contrast to 7PM to 10PM for their flagship title? It was the only timeslot available. However, it was for a one year commitment, from the Spring 2008 Season through Spring 2009. Thus, Sunrise had the guarantee that Gundam 00 Fall schedule would be secure. However, they needed another anime title to assume the Spring 2008 schedule. And because Sunrise had no other anime in the pipeline to assume the 5PM timeslot, Code Geass was moved in order to save Gundam 00 Fall schedule. Had Sunrise been able to retain Gundam 00 original Saturday night timeslot, Code Geass R2 would have retained its original Thursday latenight timeslot that Sunrise had in place before the timeslot change. It would not have made any sense for Sunrise to alter the schedule for a very popular series like Code Geass unless it had something to do with saving the timeslot for Gundam.
Old 2009-09-15, 14:39   Link #6135
Xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthfury78 View Post
In fact, I understand that not too long ago, Taniguchi had a Q&A session about Code Geass in Japan with the fans. There is so much support to see a remake of the second season.
If true, that's interesting enough. Where did you hear about that? There are so many rumors these days that something without a source should be questioned.

Quote:
It would not have made any sense for Sunrise to alter the schedule for a very popular series like Code Geass unless it had something to do with saving the timeslot for Gundam.
That would be assuming we have all the necessary information in order to make that call.

We honestly don't.
Xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-15, 18:36   Link #6136
FerrisWheel
Earl of Cookies
*Author

You guys were also forgeting the super cougarific relationship Suzaku x Cecile Croomy were supposed to have....*sighs sadly*
FerrisWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-15, 18:41   Link #6137
NoLongerSane

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisWheel View Post
You guys were also forgeting the super cougarific relationship Suzaku x Cecile Croomy were supposed to have....*sighs sadly*
I remember that, but I was under the impression that the relationship was suppose to be a big sister looking after her younger brother type of relationship.
Old 2009-09-15, 20:00   Link #6138
Sailor C.C

i agree, i think Cecile and Schneizel make an awesome couple!
Sailor C.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-15, 20:09   Link #6139
Betteroffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLongerSane View Post
I remember that, but I was under the impression that the relationship was suppose to be a big sister looking after her younger brother type of relationship.
Consideing how close the siblings in Code Geass are...

Still, it would have been nice to see it fleshed out a bit. Maybe see a bit of the Ohgi-Kallen surrogate sibling dynamic, learn just why Lloyd is called the Earl of Pudding, get some development on Kaguya, learn if Minami really is a raging lolicon...

Who knows, Gino might even get a consistant personality (stranger things have happened).
Old 2009-09-15, 20:22   Link #6140
Wargumm1i
Hentai

Either way Im hoping for a third season with the return of Lelouch or something similer, why? because Im a hardcore Lelouch Fan I really liked his character and I really dont like male characters all that often. So far Lelouch, Layfon, Naruto, Luffy, Zoro, Ichigo, are the only male characters in the entire anime universe I like. I have lots and lots of girls I like

But according too Director Goro Taniguchi states that it's up to the viewers to decide how they want to interpret the ending, but that he himself likes to see it as a happy ending. Writer Ichirō Ōkouchi agrees, saying that while some may regard Lelouch's end as a tragedy, he too likes to think of the ending as a happy one because Lelouch created a better tomorrow for those left behind.

And that is why Im hoping due too lelouch´s very very high popularity rate, If by some crazy chance they made a third one, Lelouch would most likely be on the bad size but with very good reasons etc etc. But still I really am hoping third season with Lelouch either alive and have aged abit or immortal along side C.C. How he became immortal or how he survived is up too the director and writter too come up with since if they do make a third and Lelouch is alive, im pretty sure they will come up with a very good reason like they always do.
Wargumm1i is offline   Reply With Quote