AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-04-19, 12:12   Link #2961
Qilin
Romanticist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soverence View Post
I see some people complaining about all the side characters not getting any time in the final chapter, my question is why would they? All of their stories were wrapped up pretty well in the previous chapters in my opinion, what more would you want to see? Them congratulating the two? Negi making more Manga (like you need to see that, the final declaration of "War" was a suitable final scene for him, cause he was the rival through it all). As I said, anymore from them would be buffer, usually mangas wrap up the side characters stories in the final chapter, but Bakuman has been doing it for the past five chapters or so.
Yes, they were probably covered in the last chapter as you said, but honestly, it didn't feel like a conclusion chapter. They practically just breezed through it to the the point that it felt like a usual chapter where you have various rivals commenting on Ashirogi's progress. Not to mention, what about Takagi? You know, the other main character? Whatever happened to him?

So yeah. I can see where the criticisms are coming from.

On the actual finale itself though, I felt that it lacked impact, or at least something memorable for me to remember this series by. Purely subjective rant, of course.
Old 2012-04-19, 12:25   Link #2962
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

anyone knows what new title is taking Bakuman's place in the jump lineup?
Old 2012-04-19, 12:43   Link #2963
Kurosu
KORA!!
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Kurosu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
anyone knows what new title is taking Bakuman's place in the jump lineup?
A couple of new titles are debuting in the coming weeks.
Old 2012-04-19, 14:18   Link #2964
SoFarGone
H.A.M.

that was a weak ending imo. Its nice that we get to see them kiss and all that but what about the other characters? Hopefully an epilogue or something shows up in a few weeks. Oh yea that was pretty awkward to read lol. 9/10
Old 2012-04-19, 17:24   Link #2965
Excelion

Thanks for all the good memories, Bakuman.

I think the bottom left panel of page 14, chapter 173 hinted that we wouldn't get a wedding ceremony.

Looking back, 173 was Takagi's last chance to shine, 174 was Hattori, and 175 was Kaya, Eiji, + the other mangaka, and of course 176 was Mashiro and Azuki. If you read all those chapters again, you'll feel more like every character got their proper due in the end. I do agree though that they could have included to birth of Takagi's child to wrap him up a bit better, as he was the co-protagonist after all. I'm still looking forward to an extra chapter in the final volume though, but not expecting one.

Bakuman's also been a monster in terms of words per chapter, nearly double that of other series, and I greatly appreciate the groups that took the time to do it.
Old 2012-04-19, 21:42   Link #2966
larethian

This series has its ups and downs but overall, I'd say this has been a pretty enjoyable and interesting series.

The first chapters up till the end of Trap arc had been refreshing, gave a lot of interesting information about manga, and had kept me on the edge several times with its nice cliffhangers.

Subsequently however, things started becoming less novel, probably because we already know most of what is to know about manga making. The 2nd serialization (the gag manga whose name I can't remember) was relatively boring for me, but it did provide an important plotline for them to gain experience.

The worst however, was Nanamine part 2. Part 1 was still ok but the return of Nanamine was unbelievable and overdone.

As for the romance part, I think it's a matter of taste and preference. I personally would like more romance sub-chapters and more of Azuki after Trap, as well as a little more development between Hiramaru and Aoki, but judging from what we have so far, I suspect Ouba may not have the necessary skill and experience to execute that well. However, I like the idea of using a seiyuu as a heroine, even though she doesn't have a strong heroine presence at all.

And of course, my favorite character is Hiramaru, and the antics between Yoshida and Hiramaru are pure gold.

The other thing I really like about this series is how sometimes it seems to be making digs at the editorial department, WSJ itself and other manga.

As for the ending, I think the ending closes things well, though I find it overly abrupt and the last page as the last page was pretty jarring. It would have been better if it had a 40-50 page ending chapter to round things better. I'm sure the fans in Japan will be dissatisfied as well, so hopefully, we do get an epilogue chapter in the tankoubon as well.

And finally, while I'm no expert in art, I find that Obata's art is really getting more and more amazing over the years. Drawing realistic manga manuscripts within a manga, and the amount of details he has in the panels, I can only say 'wow' to that. He has definitely leveled up again from Bakuman.

To sum up, Bakuman is really a refreshing manga which is something 'never done before'. Considering the genre and story type, I won't go so far as to call them mediocre compared to other WSJ series, and I would have to say 'kudos' to Ouba and Obata to have been able to make such a genre interesting to read. I think it's not easy to do what they have done. The question is, will some other mangaka be able to write a more interesting 'manga about manga' than them? Frankly speaking, I don't know if someone can do this better than Ouba, but if someone else is going to try it, it would no longer be something novel anymore. And I have to add that Ouba has guts to try out a different genre from what he has done. Another fact is without a doubt, for a non-mainstream series with mainstream elements, to quote Takagi himself, it is popular and among the top 1/3 of the series in WSJ.

Well, now that this has ended, I really look forward to the their next series. As proven again in the 'Classroom of Truth', which seems like a dig to Enigma saying 'we can do better than you', I hope Ouba brings us something of that kind of genre again.
Old 2012-04-19, 22:08   Link #2967
Ami-chan
Raging Ami-chan Fanboy

WAIT THAT BLINDSIDED ME. I wasn't really paying attention to anything that might have tipped me off that the series was ending. *sigh*

Well, I was hoping we'd get to a see a flash forward of the married couple, but I guess we don't get that...

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y193/mrjasonpark/Sigs%20and%20Avys/Momo-01-1.jpg
Old 2012-04-19, 23:50   Link #2968
Nappy Hared Azn
Check out my Rolek!

I was too busy waiting for the car to catch fire to actually enjoy the ending.
Old 2012-04-20, 00:57   Link #2969
Nochgo
iceman
*Scanlator

Um. What? That was a totally unexpected ending. Considering the material though, I guess I should applaud them for taking the story to this length, without boring me too much. I feel like this could've been better if it was fit into 10 volumes, but that's just me. Overall, I'm glad that this series is finally over, and I just hope that their next project will be something more... stimulating for the mind.
Old 2012-04-20, 01:29   Link #2970
Enishi

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soverence View Post
Overall, Bakuman was probably one of the better things I have read in recent years, …
Same here. ;-)
Old 2012-04-20, 04:34   Link #2971
AlaAlba

Woah, didn't expected this would end on this chapter, I expected it at least 2 or 3 more chapters

But, it's nice to see the ending, for what it is and for not being dragged forever.
Old 2012-04-20, 06:30   Link #2972
KLGChaos
The Shermain

I dropped this shortly after Eiji stopped Crow. That always rubbed me the wrong way and felt like a cop out to me. Things really started to drag for me after a while and it looks like it dragged on to the very end, before rushing to an abrupt finish. Not sure if I'll pick it back up to finish it off or not.
Old 2012-04-20, 07:53   Link #2973
ZODDGUTS

Shame the series turned out to be so inconsistent, overall it's a 7/10 for me.
Old 2012-04-20, 08:59   Link #2974
Qilin
Romanticist

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLGChaos View Post
I dropped this shortly after Eiji stopped Crow. That always rubbed me the wrong way and felt like a cop out to me. Things really started to drag for me after a while and it looks like it dragged on to the very end, before rushing to an abrupt finish. Not sure if I'll pick it back up to finish it off or not.
That's around the point when things started going downhill. I can't really say you missed much. It was entertaining to a degree for sure, but nothing truly novel or groundbreaking. Your time would be better spent elsewhere.

That said, I'm still looking forward to their next work.
Old 2012-04-20, 09:01   Link #2975
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLGChaos View Post
I dropped this shortly after Eiji stopped Crow. That always rubbed me the wrong way and felt like a cop out to me.
Really?That's my favorite part of the whole manga!
Old 2012-04-20, 10:09   Link #2976
SoFarGone
H.A.M.

Eiji > Ashirogi
Old 2012-04-20, 10:47   Link #2977
Grey

A fun journey, but the ending felt weak and anti-climactic. Could have used a chapter or two more for a peaceful/happy slice-of-life epilogue and closure.
Old 2012-04-20, 10:55   Link #2978
Sixth
Hu Tao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey View Post
A fun journey, but the ending felt weak and anti-climactic. Could have used a chapter or two more for a peaceful/happy slice-of-life epilogue and closure.
Agreed. The final page of the chapter should be the wedding scene; Hiramaru X Aoki + Mashiro + Miho married together, and the whole Bakuman casts attending their weddings.
Old 2012-04-20, 12:20   Link #2979
Enishi

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobita View Post
The final page of the chapter should be the wedding scene; Hiramaru X Aoki + Mashiro + Miho married together, and the whole Bakuman casts attending their weddings.
It’s so easy for us, fans, to decide how to end it… No matter what, it’s the authors work and they (or Ohba-sensei alone) should know better. :-) I hope someday we’ll know the truth: why did they finish it so suddenly?!
Old 2012-04-20, 13:37   Link #2980
Kokukirin
Shadow of Effilisi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey View Post
Completely agree. Having gone through a long winding journey to reach their goal, they don't even get more than a chapter to actually enjoy the moment. The ending feels so rushed and underwhelming.
Closed Thread

Tags
manga, shounen