AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Chuunibyou

Notices

Old 2012-10-06, 01:23   Link #901
Hyper
Irregular Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronelm2000 View Post
Plot-wise, I don't think that applies... I do agree otherwise, though. Plus, I have a hunch that the limits of a chu2byo will be tested here, as well as my childhood...

IMO, when I think about it more carefully, isn't KyoAni technically making a rather big risk in making this? I mean, if the anime fails, what will happen to the credibility of the KyoAni Awards?
Well, it feels forced compare to Hyouka, bus that probably true for almost every anime as well, so I wouldn't make that comparison. I would rather use "fast" rather than "force."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronelm2000 View Post
...so yeah, back to the days when yugioh was the trend and I was practically saying aloud my next move, just because it was stellar. Those were the days...
Come on, that's totally normal..right? I mean, are there people who play Yugioh without screaming "duel!", "draw!", or "card of destiny" every once in a while?

Now that I think about it, my choice of career might as well partially effected by the chuunibyou I had back in the middle school (a mild one mind you). Thinking positively, I'd argue it's the part of me that refused to let my childhood ends. I wonder if this anime will touch upon that?
Hyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 02:09   Link #902
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper View Post
Well, it feels forced compare to Hyouka, bus that probably true for almost every anime as well, so I wouldn't make that comparison. I would rather use "fast" rather than "force."
Well, all animes (1-cour) suffer from "fast" relationships (this is of course, in terms of episodes). In the end though, "fast" is subjective... I mean, look at the SAO thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper View Post
Come on, that's totally normal..right? I mean, are there people who play Yugioh without screaming "duel!", "draw!", or "card of destiny" every once in a while?

Now that I think about it, my choice of career might as well partially effected by the chuunibyou I had back in the middle school (a mild one mind you). Thinking positively, I'd argue it's the part of me that refused to let my childhood ends. I wonder if this anime will touch upon that?
Only I was using a "Pyramid of Light" Deck. ...and all the non-sense related to it.
ronelm2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 03:58   Link #903
Anime Online

Am I correct to assume that the other girls in the character cast also have varying cases of chunibyo? If that is the case, I wonder what kind of delusion Shinka (the representative who gave the speech) has. I don't think she has the anti-social chunibyo, so perhaps the subcultural/hipster chunibyo? The subcultural/hipster symptom gives the kind of elitist image, so I think it kind of fits her.
Anime Online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 04:15   Link #904
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

Saw this episode, and I really can't help but to turn that mana potion into what it rightfully is: a drink for the chosen ones.

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

panzerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 04:17   Link #905
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerfan View Post
Saw this episode, and I really can't help but to turn that mana potion into what it rightfully is: a drink for the chosen ones.

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
I approve this. But, does this mean that all chu2byos drink Dr. Pepper?
Old 2012-10-06, 04:26   Link #906
Hyper
Irregular Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anime Online View Post
Am I correct to assume that the other girls in the character cast also have varying cases of chunibyo? If that is the case, I wonder what kind of delusion Shinka (the representative who gave the speech) has. I don't think she has the anti-social chunibyo, so perhaps the subcultural/hipster chunibyo? The subcultural/hipster symptom gives the kind of elitist image, so I think it kind of fits her.
Short of spoiling ourselves, I don't think anyone can make a conclusion either way from the first episode. My guess would be she's the same as Yuuta--a former chuunibyou patience.
Hyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 04:34   Link #907
brocko

I really hope they all aren't total nutcases. Just because I'd actually like to see the social circle actively steer away from being a "everyone is here because they share the same nutjob interest."

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
brocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 05:17   Link #908
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Psychologically speaking a delusion is a sustained and unshakable belief in something despite irrefutable proof to the contrary. For a first episode it's kind of too early to say if how many of those characters actually have a delusion according to the DSM-IV clinical definition.

On the other hand since it IS a sustained belief that runs contrary to reality, Yuuta's acceptance of his... past beliefs does not make him delusional since he has accepted the "falseness" of his assumed middle school identity.

But is it really false?

For all we know she really does have a Demon Eye and he's really a Dark Master. That would be a nice twist, since you know this is billed to have some supernatural elements and not just delusional allusions to it. Or maybe I inhaled too much Desflurane in the OR again.

Also I swear her ahegao has a life of its own...
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 05:26   Link #909
rulfo

Holy hell they even fixed it...

Anyway did they release the staff listing for next episode?
rulfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 05:33   Link #910
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

Well, Kyoani can print money easy with this anime and spinoff(s)... people would now gladly watch Riika with her Demon Eye shooting a customized C96 Mauser while the Dark Flame Master goes around painting the world in a dark shade (hold on, this is sounding more and more like what Urobutcher might work with), become heroes destined to win in athletic tournaments in some faraway land, and collect ancient relics lest anyone do the unthinkable with them...

or they can simply keep getting slapped with the chuunibyou realities. Either would sell like hotcakes.

@Ahegao... someone has seen enough Hentai to know where this is going.

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

Last edited by panzerfan; 2012-10-06 at 05:55.
panzerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 06:12   Link #911
Qilin
Romanticist

First thought: Is chuunibyou an actual thing in Japan?

Maybe it's the cultural dissonance talking here, but the first episode didn't hook me in that well. Well, I'm not expecting it match Hyouka, but I hope this finds its groove soon. I'll just have to see where it goes from here. That way I see it, this can either go with the pandering route, where the whole chuunibyou set up is just an excuse to create a cast of oddballs (w/ a straight man male lead), or it can choose to play the theme straight, along with a bit of social commentary. Only time will tell.

I wouldn't call them delusional just yet though. I'd rather just call it escapism at this point.
Old 2012-10-06, 06:21   Link #912
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qilin View Post
First thought: Is chuunibyou an actual thing in Japan?
It have been defined since as early as 2002 iirc. And it's quite possible that it's also a widesprad phenomenon in the world. We have all meet someone who is delusional as hell and can't get over that delusion. It could be that scrawny nerd who suddenly takes on a gangsta persona, taking on the mannerisms of Scarface or gangster stereotypes, goths who are a little too much into their things, metalheads who takes the occult schtick of their genre litterally and starts acting out sacrifices by slicing a chick's throat over a grave. Some are amusing, many are amusing and a few are just plain worrying.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 06:22   Link #913
Excorsism

After watching the Lite episode 2, I really think Rikka should take off that eyepatch. Her cuteness increases exponentially when it's off, it's ridiculous.

Also, I can't help but laugh because it just looks like she's screwing around half the time. lol
Old 2012-10-06, 06:47   Link #914
Scarletknive
Meister

So a total of how many episodes(Including Lite)? I am confused whether the Lite is an OVA or a prequel series(1 cour)...

Last edited by Scarletknive; 2012-10-06 at 07:04.
Scarletknive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 07:07   Link #915
Qilin
Romanticist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
It have been defined since as early as 2002 iirc. And it's quite possible that it's also a widesprad phenomenon in the world. We have all meet someone who is delusional as hell and can't get over that delusion. It could be that scrawny nerd who suddenly takes on a gangsta persona, taking on the mannerisms of Scarface or gangster stereotypes, goths who are a little too much into their things, metalheads who takes the occult schtick of their genre litterally and starts acting out sacrifices by slicing a chick's throat over a grave. Some are amusing, many are amusing and a few are just plain worrying.
Well, it's not like I get what you're talking about, but most of the time those kinds of instances are superficial at best. I don't think I've ever met anyone who was actually delusional. The fact that they have a specific term for it in Japan suggests that such incidents aren't simply outliers over there and are relatively more frequent.

If you ask me, it's a good example of doublethink in action. That is, holding two contradicting beliefs without them inducing any form of cognitive dissonance.
Old 2012-10-06, 07:11   Link #916
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarletknive View Post
So a total of how many episodes(Including Lite)? I am confused whether the Lite is an OVA or a prequel series(1 cour)...
Picture the Lite series as something like Haruhi-chan, a net-exclusive series that takes a much more "comedic" view of the series.

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
ultimatemegax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 07:16   Link #917
brocko

lol, I've been under the impression that the lite things were just previews/snippets taken from future episodes. If they're their own stand-alone spin-off things then if the actual show nosedives that means I'll at least have the lite stuff to fall back on

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
brocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 07:46   Link #918
kimpleng
Lurker

No photo of real location yet? Actual train station, actual school.
I guess it need few more week. If someone found it, please post the photo here.
kimpleng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 08:45   Link #919
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
After verifying with several sites again, I beg to differ. I won't categorize Okabe as a jakigan-kei chuuni. Even though there is a certain amount of overlapping when it comes to 'cool' lines and dialogue and even world view, Jakigan-kei chuunis are used to refer to those who are 'into' supernatural powers, which is not the case with Okabe.
I would say Okabe falls under both categories. He is also into supernatural powers, as he has a possessed right hand (that would go out of control at convenient times) and even an evil eye. His general demeanor and way of talking is definitely an evil eye type, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Also I swear her ahegao has a life of its own...
Ahoge, you mean. I haven't seen any ahegao... so far
Old 2012-10-06, 08:45   Link #920
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimpleng View Post
No photo of real location yet? Actual train station, actual school.
I guess it need few more week. If someone found it, please post the photo here.
There's a thread on 4chan that shows it....

lemme browse the entire trainwreck...

*after 3 minutes reading*

Anō Station (Shiga)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/An%C5%8...on_%28Shiga%29

Tags
chuunibyou, drama, romance, romantic comedy, school, seinen