AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > To Aru... Index [LN/M]

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-02-14, 21:07   Link #7841
gaboratamer

^ Or maybe he's alive and someone is controlling him
Old 2011-02-14, 21:25   Link #7842
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist

Location: All ghillied up spying on someone ~2,000 yards away using telescope sights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Yup, you are crazy

You know what we need now that Touma's MIA? A pure magic protagonist, to see things from their pov.
I can smell this happening if you say so:

Spoiler for Wha--:

--- This line over here is a placeholder. ----
Old 2011-02-14, 21:27   Link #7843
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Ollerus and Silvia?
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Old 2011-02-14, 21:57   Link #7844
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

^^
That's what I'm hoping for as well.

Plus an earlier prediction that Index would try to escape... Put them all together,

Ollerus, Silvia, Fiamma and Index- Strongest Team Ever ?!
Old 2011-02-14, 22:01   Link #7845
Mr.Kyon
I crack you up

Quote:
^^

Plus an earlier prediction that Index would try to escape... Put them all together,

Magical equivalent of GROUP.

Believer of the Great Sumeragi.

One Does Not Simply Make Touma A Good Protagonist ~ The Truth.

"Kyon has set his 'enemy that must be defeated' to be 'bad writing' of the world. The more there is, the stronger his Holy Crack " ~ Chaos2Frozen.
Old 2011-02-14, 22:15   Link #7846
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
^^

- Ollerus: God-damn semi-maijin. HAX enough to make Gunha to look like an idiot.
- Silvia: Tsund.... Saint and probably reaching new power levels if she is going outside Aeon of Osiris if Ollerus' research about Aeon of Horusis going well.
- Fiamma: The Right Hand of God. Currently weakened but... suspected to be inmortal .
- Index: If she gets some help to be free from bitchy-bitchy Laura, well, yeah, damn hax too.

Mix those 4 together and Aiwass will seriously have to rethink if it should keep looking humans as mere ants. Same for Crowley.
Old 2011-02-14, 22:48   Link #7847
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfriback View Post
- Ollerus: God-damn semi-maijin. HAX enough to make Gunha to look like an idiot.
- Silvia: Tsund.... Saint and probably reaching new power levels if she is going outside Aeon of Osiris if Ollerus' research about Aeon of Horusis going well.
- Fiamma: The Right Hand of God. Currently weakened but... suspected to be inmortal .
- Index: If she gets some help to be free from bitchy-bitchy Laura, well, yeah, damn hax too.

Mix those 4 together and Aiwass will seriously have to rethink if it should keep looking humans as mere ants. Same for Crowley.
A Magic God, A Saint, A Right Hand user, and 103 000 Grimoires...

Each of them unique in the magic world, each of them overpowered...

If only Index can activate her magic powers... I wonder what happens if she gets a hold on her remote, would she be able to hack it?
Old 2011-02-15, 00:56   Link #7848
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Rather than a side story, it's more like a new beginning.

Think of it like Shippuden, and Touma disappearing is like Sasuke (lol).
That's pretty much exactly what I mean. It would be stupid. I hope to god that isn't what this turns out to be..........
Old 2011-02-15, 01:11   Link #7849
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
That's pretty much exactly what I mean. It would be stupid. I hope to god that isn't what this turns out to be..........
I don't know, I think taking Touma out of the equation would finally force certain characters to develop, I'm looking at Index and Mikoto in particular.

But essentially it shouldn't be any different from the volumes without Touma as a lead... Unless the Author wants to try something poetic and show how the world is a dark and sorrowful place without it's Hero... But that might be abit too dramatic
Old 2011-02-15, 01:15   Link #7850
zeniselv
Staring into your soul.

... the new character kinda look like some beheaded character from another series, that became sorta of a meme.
Old 2011-02-15, 01:19   Link #7851
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Quote:
I don't know, I think taking Touma out of the equation would finally force certain characters to develop, I'm looking at Index and Mikoto in particular.
Well personally I'd have to disagree; tossing out Touma's character at such a character cliffhanger point is ridiculous and dumb. I'm fine with him disappearing for a volume, MAYBE two, to bring about some development. (although I don't know what development it could bring Mikoto; she's already realized her feelings for him, Index pretty much acknowledged her feelings for him since the end of the first arc, and beyond that I don't see how either could develop as characters due to Touma's absence, especially since neither of them are mentioned in the summary for New Testament which makes it sound like they won't be there either) That would be fine if it's for the sake of story/plot/development, but anything like Sasuke "leaving" in Naruto Shippuden would be stupid.
Old 2011-02-15, 01:37   Link #7852
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeniselv
... the new character kinda look like some beheaded character from another series, that became sorta of a meme.
Celty? What does she have to do with Fre-nda?
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Old 2011-02-15, 02:00   Link #7853
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
(although I don't know what development it could bring Mikoto; she's already realized her feelings for him, Index pretty much acknowledged her feelings for him since the end of the first arc, and beyond that I don't see how either could develop as characters due to Touma's absence, especially since neither of them are mentioned in the summary for New Testament which makes it sound like they won't be there either)
Simple, both Mikoto and Index can finally be more active and involved. With their 'protector' gone, it's time for them to step up and stop being sheltered by people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
Celty? What does she have to do with Fre-nda?
He's refering to a certain mahou shoujo.

Must be the drills.
Old 2011-02-15, 02:13   Link #7854
Karna
just some guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouMAN View Post
I just hope Touma appears in NT (New Testament)

without him there is no point in reading it
I agree. If Touma is gone for good I would be extremely disappointed.
Old 2011-02-15, 02:13   Link #7855
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Quote:
Simple, both Mikoto and Index can finally be more active and involved. With their 'protector' gone, it's time for them to step up and stop being sheltered by people.
They can do that just as easily whether Touma is gone or not. In fact, seeing Touma in need of help should spur them into action. (many chances of which the author dumb-ly skipped, though...........) He's not stopping them; the one time Touma did anything to stop either of them from getting involved was when he told Mikoto to stay on the bridge back in the SISTERS arc because she was planning to let Accelerator kill her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouMAN View Post
I just hope Touma appears in NT (New Testament)

without him there is no point in reading it
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Greed~ View Post
I agree. If Touma is gone for good I would be extremely disappointed.
My thoughts exactly, and that's why I'm worried about this. Touma is the main character; you don't just drop the main character basically on a whim like this. He's not a supporting character like Sasuke. Accelerator and Shiage may have main roles in their arcs, but Touma is the main character.
Old 2011-02-15, 02:35   Link #7856
Xenosnake
Badass

Touma will be back. And he'll be bringing back gifts of the Underworld.
Old 2011-02-15, 03:06   Link #7857
Ice Block
less qq; more pewpew

Quote:
character cliffhanger point
Which is? You are familiar with the events in the World War 3 arc, right? The only cliffhangers there that aren't addressed in the new book's spoilers are Fiamma's fate with Ollerus and Sylvia (who I hope would get the screentime that's usually for Touma while he's gone ) and Laura Stuart's plan to take down AC. Everything regarding Touma's character was pretty much resolved (even the memory loss). He broke Accelerator's illusions on Heroes and Villains and Fiamma's illusions on "saving the world", and his importance to Aleister Crowley's plan was even given a little focus. Of course, because of this importance, his return is pretty much guaranteed. New Testament is a new beginning of sorts, kinda like the world rebuilding after the world war, and Kamachi did mention in Volume 22's epilogue that the next book will be about "the world that has been saved".

And you are familiar with Volume 15 and 19, right? Touma is not even mentioned in 15, and is only mentioned in passing in 19. And you do know that Touma is not the only main character, right? There are three main characters (see the Three_Heroes MAD I posted in the video thread, and Volume 22 afterword). Not one of them holds importance over the other, and you cannot single one out as being more "main" than the rest, as they all follow different paths that sometimes intertwine. The story can stand on its own without Touma for a while. This universe is massive, and there are lots of characters and plot threads that are influenced by the loss of this one trump card of sorts. I bet Kamachi would want to capitalize on this first before reintroducing him physically to the plot.

Quote:
the one time Touma did anything to stop either of them from getting involved was when he told Mikoto to stay on the bridge back in the SISTERS arc
He also stopped Mikoto in Volume 16. And he also stopped her from saving him in 22. Touma also stopped Index from getting involved in the Daihaseisai and Volume 16, and he also tried to stop Itsuwa from going against Acqua.
Old 2011-02-15, 03:34   Link #7858
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Block View Post
Which is? You are familiar with the events in the World War 3 arc, right? The only cliffhangers there that aren't addressed in the new book's spoilers are Fiamma's fate with Ollerus and Sylvia (who I hope would get the screentime that's usually for Touma while he's gone ) and Laura Stuart's plan to take down AC. Everything regarding Touma's character was pretty much resolved (even the memory loss). He broke Accelerator's illusions on Heroes and Villains and Fiamma's illusions on "saving the world", and his importance to Aleister Crowley's plan was even given a little focus. Of course, because of this importance, his return is pretty much guaranteed. New Testament is a new beginning of sorts, kinda like the world rebuilding after the world war, and Kamachi did mention in Volume 22's epilogue that the next book will be about "the world that has been saved".
No cliffhanger? Then where is he? Disappearing with no idea as to what happened to him sounds like a cliffhanger to me.
You yourself also just stated that his role in Aleister's plan was given a "little" focus; what about the rest of his role?

Quote:
And you are familiar with Volume 15 and 19, right? Touma is not even mentioned in 15, and is only mentioned in passing in 19. And you do know that Touma is not the only main character, right? There are three main characters (see the Three_Heroes MAD I posted in the video thread, and Volume 22 afterword). Not one of them holds importance over the other, and you cannot single one out as being more "main" than the rest, as they all follow different paths that sometimes intertwine. The story can stand on its own without Touma for a while. This universe is massive, and there are lots of characters and plot threads that are influenced by the loss of this one trump card of sorts. I bet Kamachi would want to capitalize on this first before reintroducing him physically to the plot.
-10 points for missing everything that I said in my previous posts.
Yes Touma isn't the only main character, as I specifically said myself in my immediately previous post, but he's the main character, not a main character. There's a reason Accelerator and Shiage have less main character focus than Touma overall. That would be because Toaru Index is mainly about Touma. Plenty of other anime/manga/light novels have shifted focus to another character as the main for an arc, but the main main character doesn't change.

Quote:
He also stopped Mikoto in Volume 16. And he also stopped her from saving him in 22. Touma also stopped Index from getting involved in the Daihaseisai and Volume 16, and he also tried to stop Itsuwa from going against Acqua.
Um, there's a couple things you're doing wrong here. First, in volume 16 he didn't stop her; she just didn't follow him of her own accord. (one of the dumb-ly executed moments where Mikoto should have been involved but didn't) The most he said was for her to go home; he didn't make any effort at all to stop her from coming with him besides that one single, short line. She just chose not to go after him. (again, I found this incredibly dumb)
Second, in volume 22, how does stopping her from saving him = stopping her from getting involved at all? Those were different circumstances.
On the Index part, I suppose that's true, but then again that's a whole different thing from Mikoto because Index doesn't (consciously) have the high attack power Mikoto has. (i.e. she can't blow stuff up with a railgun) So naturally he'd worry about her getting hurt in the fight.
Itsuwa is always getting in on the action.
But all of that is beside my point; even if Touma was actively trying to stop them, there' really nothing he could do to succeed in stopping them if they want to help him fight. He's not going to knock them unconscious or anything; if they didn't keep choosing for themselves not to fight (which, again, is stupid), then there would be nothing he could do to stop them. So Touma's not the reason Mikoto and Index don't get more action; the author keeps shafting them on that. Again, I refer to volume 16 where Mikoto goes completely out of character and doesn't follow him to the fight. This is Mikoto we're talking about; she sees someone in trouble, she helps them. All the more so there, where she first acknowledged that she was in love with him. Not only did Touma give little to no resistance against her trying to help him fight, but the novel gave no reason for why she didn't go after him. The novel only pointed out why she didn't stop him.
Old 2011-02-15, 04:04   Link #7859
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
They can do that just as easily whether Touma is gone or not. In fact, seeing Touma in need of help should spur them into action. (many chances of which the author dumb-ly skipped, though...........) He's not stopping them; the one time Touma did anything to stop either of them from getting involved was when he told Mikoto to stay on the bridge back in the SISTERS arc because she was planning to let Accelerator kill her.
I don't mean just in terms of action you know.

Ever since their character arc, they haven't really change that much at all, no matter what happens at the core they remain the same. Shaken but not stirred.

But now with an important person in their life gone, we get a chace to throw the 'holy stone' into their pond to see the ripples, we get to peek into their heads and see how the gears turns, we get to finally see something out of the norm for once. I have no issue with where the plot would lead, but I've notice that the author has been very 'cautious' when it comes to character development, and if Touma disappearing is what it takes to get a reaction out of people, then by all means do what you have to do.

Last edited by Chaos2Frozen; 2011-02-15 at 04:16.
Old 2011-02-15, 04:21   Link #7860
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Quote:
I don't mean just in terms of action you know.

Ever since their character arc, they haven't really change that much at all, no matter what happens at the core they remain the same.

But now with an important person in their life gone, we get a chace to throw the 'holy stone' into their pond to see the ripples, we get to peek into their heads and see how the gears turns, we get to finally see something out of the norm for once. I have no issue with where the plot would lead, but I've notice that the author has been very 'cautious' when it comes to character development, and if Touma disappearing is what it takes to see some changes, then by all means do what you have to do.
I know what you mean, but I still can't completely agree with it; again, Touma's presence doesn't hinder any of this. Its the author who has chosen not to focus on these characters this way before. Touma's character wouldn't prevent an arc(s) about the deeper sides of the characters, the author simply chose not to before, and we still don't know if that is what he's going to do now anyway. We may still get no deep character focus at all.

However, like I said, I'm still fine with a temporary leave from Touma for the sake of character/plot/story focus/development. I'm just saying that he's not some side character to be tossed away, and his presence doesn't hurt the focus/development of other characters action or character-wise.

Tags
action, dengeki bunko, fantasy, light novels, science fiction, shounen