AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2004-02-26, 17:58   Link #21
KoroshiyaX
X

A good irc guide for IRC is here: http://ronin.soldats.net

Thanks to Ronin :P

For XDCC bots, what you have to do is type /msg botnick XDCC List

And you will receive a pack listing of the releases.

Afterwards, you type /msg botnick xdcc send #packnumber

#packnumber is the digit corresponding to the file you are looking for.

good luck, if you ever have any problems in A-E in particular, please drop me a private message and I'll gladly help you out.
KoroshiyaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-26, 18:03   Link #22
nojevo

When I started watching fansubs over a year ago, I learned about bt and how effective it was to get new releases. Once I got my cable modem, it was apparent that bt wasnt using the full bandwidth of my connection and went to find other ways to get new releases. Thats when I sarted to use irc to get the newest releases.
IMO xdcc is better than bt in terms of speed. I used to download naruto ep and it would take me aprox 2 hours to get it and I always leave it seeding for about an extra hour or two (system hogger and does not let me do much while seeding). But with xdcc I am able to get it in 45 minutes and after that i'm able to seed if I feel like it. max speed in bt = 60kBs (sometimes), xdcc = 75kBs (always), you do the math
nojevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-26, 18:15   Link #23
eliviex

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
Actually I have to confess that it wasn't this easy to download on IRC before the advent of BitTorrent. The queues used to be horrendous, but with BitTorrent taking the brunt of a release, downloading has become easy and often queueless.
I agree with you.
Only few people have the fast server that can be used as XDCC BOTS.
The number of FAST servers that can upload a large size file is limited.
If many people want to download from XDCC BOTS,
we have to wait a long time until download starts.
eliviex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-26, 18:19   Link #24
bluemist
i am the mist

I am a lousy 56K modem user, and so BT is definitely not practical for me, because it eats all my bandwidth like crazy by opening many connections to many peers. Moreover, the uploading eats away my downloading as well, so I get files the more slowly than ever.

But in XDCC, I get to have only one connection per file, and that still allows me to surf the internet while downloading stuff. Also, I get to utilize my maximum bandwidth of... tadah! 4.5 kilobytes/sec. (not even 56K yet grrr.) The only hard part about this is where to find a readily open XDCC server. What's more is that the server should not alienate 56K users using minimum speed restrictions. Once I have found that good server, I can just lazily blow away and even sleep while the computer is running. The only caveat is my electric bill.
bluemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-26, 18:33   Link #25
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoroshiyaX
We're putting the files on BT today, so you can stop your complaints :P which imo, are coming from a spoiled impatient anime fan.
Since it is on BitTorrent, I'm helping to seed. After all, I got the file some time ago.

Actually, the ability to aid the BitTorrent distro in this way makes for a strong case in favor of distroing on IRC a day ahead of BT as a standard practice.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-26, 18:34   Link #26
Mr.Minou

well people who said that nobody would help them with irc were unlucky I must say beacause I usually see people who help each others. that was the same case for me : someone taught me how to use an fserv, when there was barely an xdcc bot...

about the xdcc/bt matter : well I use both. but not for the same purpose. for the latest releases, if the fansub team has a xdcc bot I use it because like many people said, it's faster. now for older realeses that are not on bots I use BT (and wait until I have 1~1.5 of share rating.)
Mr.Minou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-26, 18:59   Link #27
DrWho2002
Fushigi Mystery!! @_@

I like BT because it is instant really, but if I'm not dloading much else with it, I'll use Usenet. When I'm not doing anything else, I can usually get download speeds of 150 k/s or more off it, most eps download in about 1/2 hour or less. Not everything posted on BT appears on Usenet though, but I am grateful to the people that post stuff on there. If I'm using 2 or 3 BT's at the same time trying to dload stuff from Usenet, Usenet dload speed drops to about 50-60 k/s or less (depends on what kind of bandwith BT is using).
DrWho2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-26, 19:23   Link #28
KoroshiyaX
X

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliviex
I agree with you.
Only few people have the fast server that can be used as XDCC BOTS.
The number of FAST servers that can upload a large size file is limited.
If many people want to download from XDCC BOTS,
we have to wait a long time until download starts.
There are always free slots, at least in A-E's case, even when many people want to download =)

I know a few other big fansub groups have mutiple bots which have 100 send slots.

That is the difference between a regular XDCC server, and mutiple Fast XDCC bots.

It only takes a few extra minute to find the bot with the free slots, and since they're all named AE|nick, it is quite easy.

No effort, no gain

I just took down one of my XDCC bots to seed Planetes 15 and UFO 9. BT is currently using 70% of the CPU and 320MB of RAM. Doing roughly 350KB/sec combined upload. I set each torrent to have 15 uploads each, and no upload speed CAP.

When I was using Iroffer XDCC, it was using 10% of CPU, 56MB of RAM, and doing 2MB/sec (~2000KB/sec) upload over only 15 dcc sends.

You can clearly see the difference now.
Old 2004-02-26, 19:31   Link #29
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber

Quote:
We're putting the files on BT today, so you can stop your complaints :P which imo, are coming from a spoiled impatient anime fan.
No, I can wait for you, I just didn't see why you were preferring an older, less useful protocol.
Old 2004-02-26, 19:39   Link #30
KoroshiyaX
X

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashibaka
No, I can wait for you, I just didn't see why you were preferring an older, less useful protocol.
I clearly stated the reason if you had read carefully. It was promotional in order to make the fans aware that A-E has moved to a new IRC network.

And yes, in the end, I still do prefer Fast XDCC over BT. I was able to get FMA20 in 6 minutes because of XDCC ^_^

It took me 2 hours to get PMK20 over BT last night. And it had 500 seeds?
Old 2004-02-26, 19:40   Link #31
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashibaka
I thought that I answered that. This is why they were preferring an older protocol. (Click here) It isn't less useful, just different.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-26, 19:43   Link #32
AnimeFangirl

I notice that the people whining and crying about not being able to use IRC have forgotten/don't know that there are people out there who can't use bittorrent either (grrrr, evil network admins). Maybe we should start howling and screaming too.
Old 2004-02-26, 19:45   Link #33
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

BT is easy and simple. Hence it can breed some impatient, immature people sometimes.

But enough of that. Both IRC and BT are great. Personally though, I've experienced faster speeds with IRC than BT.

And what was that about being unable to resume? I've never been unable to resume a file on XDCC or fserve unless the server specifically does not allow resumes.

Oh yeah, with IRC, you can watch the episode as it downloads.

Dorfl: My campus has blocked BT too. If it weren't, I'd use it more.
Old 2004-02-26, 19:49   Link #34
lavalyn

Repeat: I think the request is not to abandon XDCC, but rather to increase BT traffic, as BT is (in the average run) faster given equal resources.

While you're thinking "wow bots are so fast", note that files could be released 2.5-4h earlier without the overhead of pre-release IRC distro. As a member of a fansub team, I'm sure you know how long it takes to get the new releases to a bot - you're still only going as fast as the encoder. In that amount of time, a BT solution would have distributed the file not only to the bots, but also to the masses.

The single-user nature of XDCC is what BT makes obsolete.

BT has evened the playing field between distro and leecher - by making all leechers distro at least somewhat.
lavalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-26, 20:01   Link #35
KoroshiyaX
X

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavalyn
Repeat: I think the request is not to abandon XDCC, but rather to increase BT traffic, as BT is (in the average run) faster given equal resources.

While you're thinking "wow bots are so fast", note that files could be released 2.5-4h earlier without the overhead of pre-release IRC distro. As a member of a fansub team, I'm sure you know how long it takes to get the new releases to a bot - you're still only going as fast as the encoder. In that amount of time, a BT solution would have distributed the file not only to the bots, but also to the masses.

The single-user nature of XDCC is what BT makes obsolete.

BT has evened the playing field between distro and leecher - by making all leechers distro at least somewhat.
BT traffic is always high. My only problem is those people that complain that we, fansubbers, should use our fast XDCC bots to Seed. People do no realize how much resources BT can take when doing high speed and high number of transfers as I mentioned in my previous post.

Over broadband it is not as apparent.

As fo your comment in pre-distro. We would still need to use XDCC bots or fast fileservers to send several ppl the file in order for them to seed it in the first place. Releasing an episode with only 1 seeder, you will have ppl complaining.

I remember once I did that, and I'm also an encoder, I released after I finished encoding. We got several dozen complaints on how slow BT was :P

BT is an efficient means of distribution as a whole, and Fast XDCC is still more of an instant gratification. That is why I prefer it over BT.

A combination of Both methods is what we've been doing.

And to those who reacted strongly to our promotional idea, the world isn't coming to an end if not available on BT you know :P
Old 2004-02-26, 20:02   Link #36
CelestiaLegends

Ugh...Based on everything everyone's said so far, I think I'd like to use XDCC as well, I've been using BT up till now. IRC is still a maze to me, the guide didn't help much :P By typing list I get a 5 page list of servers, most of them completely unrelated o.o While trying to DL PLANATES I get naruto manga, ROD TV, I don't wana go through each and every one to look through it :P

I guess BT is much much more userfriendly, but XDCC is faster. Like linux (XDCC), the majority of the population sticks to windows (BT.) Just my two cents :P

Oh is there an easier way for the !list thing?
CelestiaLegends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-26, 20:07   Link #37
KoroshiyaX
X

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelestiaLegends
Ugh...Based on everything everyone's said so far, I think I'd like to use XDCC as well, I've been using BT up till now. IRC is still a maze to me, the guide didn't help much :P By typing list I get a 5 page list of servers, most of them completely unrelated o.o While trying to DL PLANATES I get naruto manga, ROD TV, I don't wana go through each and every one to look through it :P

I guess BT is much much more userfriendly, but XDCC is faster. Like linux (XDCC), the majority of the population sticks to windows (BT.) Just my two cents :P

Oh is there an easier way for the !list thing?
Sysreset has a fserv tracker you can use for !list.

As for the XDCC bots themselves, you do not need to do !list. Just directly do /msg botname xdcc list

They are normally named by the group's tag and then nick

For ex: A-K|botname for Anime-Keep, or AE|botname for Anime-Empire

And you are right, (linux) iroffer xdcc servers are the fastest. With so little code it optimizes speed in both linux and windows operating systems.

With Windows based MIRC, I can send at 175KB/sec to one of my MIT servers.

When I load the i386 compiled version of the linux iroffer, I can send at 1.5MB/sec to the exact same MIT server. Same source, same destination.

Iroffer is optimized for dcc sends.
Old 2004-02-26, 20:08   Link #38
Somedude

Quote:
It took me 2 hours to get PMK20 over BT last night. And it had 500 seeds?
Hmm... It took me just over half an hour when there were only 50 or so seeds and a few hundred leechers.

Do you have the ports for BT open? Are you throttling your upload a bunch? It sounds like you may just have something configured wrong.
Somedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-26, 20:11   Link #39
KoroshiyaX
X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somedude
Hmm... It took me just over half an hour when there were only 50 or so seeds and a few hundred leechers.

Do you have the ports for BT open? Are you throttling your upload a bunch? It sounds like you may just have something configured wrong.
You probably got lucky when there weren't too many clients at the beginning. When I was trying there were thousands of leechers haha.

All my ports are open.

I still prefer my 4 to 6 min XDCC leeching styles :P
Old 2004-02-26, 20:16   Link #40
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber

Quote:
I clearly stated the reason if you had read carefully.
That's why I used the past tense.