AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2011-12-29, 20:21   Link #1321
Sunder the Gold

Or they could have been left out of the story entirely, existing only for the arcade/versus mode.

Did Precia and Linith really need to be there either?

The Gears should have just come from another planet. Time travel is stupid. Super convenient memory-editing makes it worse, especially when the A's crew are allowed to remember "acceptable" visitors from the future and only forget the ones that would prove inconvenient to the canonical events of StrikerS, ViVid and Force.
Sunder the Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-29, 20:48   Link #1322
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

They were thrown in the game to boost sales (both for the mangas and the game itself) and given a story because... well... let's face it, that often is the major grumble of fighting games that have a decent story: The one character that doesn't. I have heard (and have done) some major grumbling about a lack of a Makoto story in Blazblue, to name an example.

Bottom line: Blame marketing.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-29, 20:57   Link #1323
Justin_Brett

Yeah, but you'd think if they were put in here to basically advertise their mangas, they'd...do something to advertise them. Seems more like badly implemented marketing is to blame.
Justin_Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-29, 21:03   Link #1324
Sunder the Gold

Well, at least it's really easy to do a personal retcon of GoD for one's own fanfiction, along the "there was no time-travel" line of thinking.

Especially if one was already of a mind to mildly or totally retcon StrikerS.
Old 2011-12-29, 21:07   Link #1325
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Their presence is enough advertisement. It raises awareness and curiosity to those not yet familiar with either manga, and to fans of the mangas their presence in the game is enough incentive to buy it.

Bad marketing? Depends on your point of view. From a marketing perspective it's a solid move. From an author's perspective, it's another headache to deal with. When marketing departments (or any of the financial backers, really) start deciding what to do, things can go bad really fast. The biggest downside being that we don't know where the authors own ideas stop, and the ideas of the financers begin.
Old 2011-12-29, 21:32   Link #1326
Sunder the Gold

What Keroko said.
Old 2011-12-29, 21:46   Link #1327
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
I agree with Zero No Ichi.

What's the point of an interplanetary setting if you're not going to make use of the fact that the characters can travel to or come from different planets?
lol maybe Kyrie will be tempted to see her "kawaiiko-chan"
Old 2011-12-29, 21:50   Link #1328
Sunder the Gold

And maybe Levi will fight Fate for parental custody of Caro, so that she can have a free source of dragonmeat.
Old 2011-12-29, 21:53   Link #1329
Justin_Brett

Curiosity, sure, but does it really paint a good picture of the protagonists when they're only tangentially related to the game's plot. Makes them seem pretty ineffectual if they only in one part and at the end.

(And okay yeah, Touma and Vivio aren't the most thrilling heroes in the world, but Marketing isn't about honesty.)
Old 2011-12-29, 22:21   Link #1330
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Curiosity is all that's needed. It's what's going to be driving people to go look for those manga.

At the same time, it's also a reason to avoid character development that would not exist in the mangas for them. People will be looking for those manga with expectations formed by the way the characters were portrayed in the game, so they cannot be too different from one another.
Old 2011-12-29, 22:33   Link #1331
Justin_Brett

Yeah the very design of this game kinda screwed them from the start. Makes me think they weren't even planned from the beginning to be in it.
Old 2011-12-29, 22:37   Link #1332
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

That would not surprise me one bit.
Old 2011-12-29, 22:49   Link #1333
ZeroIchiNi

Send a message via AIM to ZeroIchiNi
Agree with this entire page.

If there is a third game, I hope that both mangas would be finished so that character development could apply.

Edit:
Spoiler for Game ending:

Last edited by ZeroIchiNi; 2011-12-29 at 23:02.
ZeroIchiNi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-29, 23:07   Link #1334
Sunder the Gold

But the players will not have forgotten it, and some Viewers Are Morons.

Anyway, the videos haven't shown what Yuuno's charged Chain Bind "Chain Anchor" looks like. What does that do?
Old 2011-12-29, 23:12   Link #1335
Laith
Even if it just for a bit
*Author

I... liked the Vivid and Force characters in the game...

Chain anchor makes Yuuno throw a chain (duh) and impulses him to where the enemy is. It also stuns them for a second.
Laith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-29, 23:51   Link #1336
Sunder the Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laith View Post
Chain anchor makes Yuuno throw a chain (duh) and impulses him to where the enemy is. It also stuns them for a second.
So the regular bind just shoots out and binds them in place, leaving him to close the distance on his own?
Old 2011-12-30, 02:52   Link #1337
Hayate22
TSAB Enforcer

Send a message via AIM to Hayate22 Send a message via MSN to Hayate22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
So the regular bind just shoots out and binds them in place, leaving him to close the distance on his own?
Chain Anchor

Tap O. He sends out chain and if it hits them, binds them for a second to allow an attack or let him close distance.

Hold O. He sends chain out, and if it hits them, 'anchors' onto the opponent which then pulls Yuuno all the way to his opponent into close range. This also binds the opponent in place and allows Yuuno to combo.

-------------------------

Thanks to the guys who gave me tips for Yuuno I came up with an 8 hit combo with him.

Close range [ ] [ ] combo, Long range O, Long range / \, Close Range O: This ocassionally can work or not depending on how it is timed for the long range part. Sometimes the close range O at the end doesn't catch cause the opponent is hit too far with the long range / \.
Hayate22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-30, 05:53   Link #1338
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laith View Post
I... liked the Vivid and Force characters in the game...

Rad Spencer called.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-30, 10:37   Link #1339
Sunder the Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayate22 View Post
Thanks to the guys who gave me tips for Yuuno I came up with an 8 hit combo with him.

Close range [ ] [ ] combo
What's that look like?

I know the basic starters are the Palm Ball and the Dashing "Shoot!" Punch, which I assume to be [] and /\, respectively.

But I've also noticed the Double Palm Blast, a Triple Chain Shot, and a Rising Chain Upper Cut. I know that at least the first two can be the second attack in a Combo. I'm less sure about the Chain Uppercut.

If there are any other Combo attack animations, I haven't seen them.

The O is the trapping circle, and I assume pressing O again when an opponent is trapped is what causes Yuuno to put his palm down on the circle and make it explode.

He also says something (hopefully the attack's name), but of course I can't understand it.

I guess that pressing O in the middle of a Combo doesn't set down a trapping circle, but instead leads to something like the Double-Palm Blast?

His counterattack after a Barrier Block is a palm thrust that creates a magical circle behind his opponent, catching them in what seems to be a field that electricifies them for a bit before exploding and sending them flying away.

He also says something, if I recall correctly. Hopefully the spell's name.

I haven't seen his charged Shoot Bullet. (Incidentally, his projectiles have oddly long staying power for bullets that can be so easily dodged. If the target drifts to the left or the right at the last moment and the bullet will orbit helplessly around them two or three times without ever hitting. So far, I've only noticed Linith's flying rings having similar on-screen time, as they continue out far into the distance.)

Charging his Protection Smash probably increases its speed, reach, protection, damage, or a combination thereof.

And the Chain Anchor has been explained to me, so I haven't actually seen his regular Chain Bind be used successfully in the few videos featuring him.

His Full Drive Burst can be used like a Long Range Bind -- at any range, and it cannot be blocked, only dodged. Fitting, considering that the move IS a long-range bind. (Though it's really funny that long-range characters like Chrono and Nanoha cannot use their FDBs without a melee attack.)
Old 2011-12-30, 11:15   Link #1340
rxrx

I think all FDB cannot be dodged, though Yunno and Yuri's are long range and can hit easier as compared to people like Reinforce.
rxrx is offline   Reply With Quote