AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-06-21, 21:17   Link #81
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbin
Too bad Geneon really messed up on Ana. Her English VA is such a bad fit for a kawaii loli.
Thats why you don't watch something dubbed, even more so for Ichigo Mashimaro.
Old 2006-06-21, 21:21   Link #82
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I listened to the english dub once.... I didn't actually lose my lunch but once again, I feel like I'm listening to people in a studio reading lines instead of roles being acted. I get more sincerity from a good Pinky & Brain episode. Even Geneon (one of the better companies) keeps pulling from a pool of VAs that simply don't *act* very convincingly with their voices. There are *extremely* talented VAs out there .... they're just not being used.

I'm sure its a budget thing to some degree but the industry also tends to do "whats easy" - going back to the same well. They should do some casting calls --- they might be surprised at the talent upgrade for about the same price.
Old 2006-06-22, 12:24   Link #83
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

I wonder if it is the director. Talisen (sp) who did Read or Die was pretty spot on with picking his VA's. (Or at least I thought so). I wonder who directed this.

I was Hmm..Nobue is ok, the 3 girls are good then Ana came...I had this major Di Gi Charat (R1) flashback of really bad VA casting.

1) By and Large...they are ** and *****.
2) What kind of girls do Anime Otaku males want? ..................... Female.
3) The odds are good, that the goods are odd.
Old 2006-06-22, 12:49   Link #84
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'm just pretty picky when it comes to voice work. The voice can be "dead on" appropriate but if they can't *act* its worse than if the voice is wrong and they can act.
Most anime just fails in the english dub because there is no heart or sincerity in the reading. Even in a Disney production (some of the best VA dubbing for JP anime), the results seem mixed (example: I thought Totoro was a pretty good dub outside of the dad - who sounded like he was reading lines though I blame the dialog he was given to some extent).

Ah well... I have a deal with my wife that as long as we occasionally watch dubs she'll tolerate the subtitles more often... expecially since it helps my son with his japanese as well as mine.
Old 2006-06-23, 19:45   Link #85
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooboy666
...They're both slice of life comedies about friends in school. They're not identical by any means (Azumanga is funnier, Ichigo is more touching), but I would always recommend Ichigo to someone who liked Azumanga because they are as similar as two slice-of-life shows are going to be. Nobue-oneechan is my favorite part of the whole series.....
For me, Ichigo Mashimaro is much funnier than Azumanga Daioh, and in a completely different style. In my opinion, Ichigo Mashimaro is the funniest anime ever made (as well as being touching and humane). That's probably because it just hits the kind of subtle (?) absurdity I love. A couple of episodes of Suzumiya Haruhi come close. But in any case, I hope you're right that Azumanga Daioh fans would like the show, since I believe it deserves a wide audience.

I agree that Nobue-oneesan is terrific. I can't put what Nabatame Hitomi does with her above Orikasa Fumiko's inspired performance as Miu, but Nobue really is the glue that holds this show together.

As for dubs, I can't stand them. It's like covering up the Mona Lisa with a copy by someone in art school. It's a slap in the face to the excellent work of the original voice actors and reduces the quality of the work of art. If I were watching Meryl Streep or Adam Sandler or Kate Blanchett, I'd certainly want to hear their voices rather than someone else's, wouldn't I? Having to read a subtitle is a small price to pay for getting the real thing. That's true for any anime, but for this one, which has the best ensemble voice-acting cast I've ever heard, I think subtitles are almost immoral.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2006-06-23, 20:29   Link #86
Srin Tuar
無謀

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo
I agree that Nobue-oneesan is terrific. I can't put what Nabatame Hitomi does with her above Orikasa Fumiko's inspired performance as Miu, but Nobue really is the glue that holds this show together.

As for dubs, I can't stand them. It's like covering up the Mona Lisa with a copy by someone in art school. It's a slap in the face to the excellent work of the original voice actors and reduces the quality of the work of art.
The awesomeness that is Miu cannot be easily overexaggerated.
If you get a chance, also listen to the clip of Miu talking with Rukia.
Old 2006-06-23, 21:14   Link #87
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo
Habatame add's that style that only she could add for Nobue to be truely who she is - imo it has to be the best seiyuu work i've ever seen.

I also agree that Ichigo Mashimaro is the funniest anime made, and not just that - but it can also deliver heart warming scene's that some shows could never dream about doing.
Old 2006-06-23, 22:02   Link #88
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I love both series because they each tickle different parts of my funny bone and evoke different forms of what I call "faux nostalgia".

I'll say omitting the actual violence done to "hyper girl" (sorry, still haven't gotten the names down) is subtle brilliance: she does something inane.. next scene she's face down somewhere.

Azumanga is more about watching the individual characters unfold and evolve through their years in high school. To some extent, Azumanga informs me about tolerating and appreciating character flaws in your comrades. I.M. just makes me smile for now --- I'll know more as the DVDs arrive.

My next task: avoid posting again til I've the girl's names straight

Last edited by Vexx; 2006-06-23 at 22:19.
Old 2006-06-23, 23:42   Link #89
howzitboy

i really loved this show. i think im one who also liked it a bit more then azumanga daioh. id rank it even with kamichu. we need more animes like these.
Old 2006-06-24, 00:13   Link #90
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Azumanga will remain *a* favorite if only because of Osaka and Sakaki's adventures but I'd really really hate to have to choose between Azumanga or Kamichu! I'll no doubt add I.M. to the list but first I have to see all the eps..... (waits by the door for next I.M. dvd).

Its good to have a superfluity of good choices in the library.
Old 2006-07-16, 18:06   Link #91
ashefatal
YOUR secret stalker

I've only seen one episode but I was instantly hooked. I had bought the July issue of the Newtype USA yesterday, coincidently the issue's little dvd had the first episode on it (dub of course). I popped the disc in my dvd player, it was first in the selection screen so I just played it, and that's pretty much it how I got into it.

Thanks to YouTube I found the subtitled eps, in all it's blah quality....sigh... right now I'm loading the first ep to experience the Jap version and the fact that the main cast VA are some of favorites <3

Speaking of VAs, I noticed in the English dub...all the VAs excluding the one who voiced Matsuri...they all had roles in the Mai Hime dub.....just a random note..

From what I read in this thread, I'll probaly buy the dvds as they are relased after watching the YouTube poor quality versions xD

ara, ara

Last edited by ashefatal; 2006-07-16 at 18:38.
Old 2006-07-26, 19:51   Link #92
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Just so you guys know, Volume 03 thats being released in October is coming with a artbox to house all three volumes.

I was a lil' shocked that one didn't come with the first volume, happy to hear we're getting one now. ^^
Old 2006-07-30, 22:11   Link #93
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Ah thats good.... my volume 2 just *arrived* today. whee for new anime (to me).

Glad to hear an artbox is coming but thats a bit odd for it to arrive at the end.

The comedy timing on this series is just excellent.

edit: just watched ep 5 at lunch ("Sleepover") .... probably not a good idea to watch while trying to chew.
In my neophyte speculation, I'd say the Forever Martyr boy behind Ana is probably the source of the letters.... no don't spoil my babbling.

Last edited by Vexx; 2006-08-02 at 16:46.
Old 2006-08-03, 07:29   Link #94
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
In my neophyte speculation, I'd say the Forever Martyr boy behind Ana is probably the source of the letters.... no don't spoil my babbling.
You never find out. ^^;;
Old 2006-08-03, 13:46   Link #95
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelsama
Just so you guys know, Volume 03 thats being released in October is coming with a artbox to house all three volumes.

I was a lil' shocked that one didn't come with the first volume, happy to hear we're getting one now. ^^
At the producer's panel at AX they mentioned that they will probably NOT put on box sets with disc one and will start doing it on disc 2 or even 3

Old 2006-08-15, 11:36   Link #96
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Volume 3 is available for preorder (with box) at DVD Pacific

http://www.dvdpacific.com/item.asp?ID=742660

Oi the fun of actually receiving anime DVD I've not seen yet ...
Old 2006-08-15, 19:17   Link #97
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Rewatching episode 05 brought helped me remember just one of the best quotes from the series. And before i say it.. yes i know it was used in episode 02, but seriously.. it brought so many tears when hearing it in episode 05..

"Sasazuka, go stand in the hall!"
Old 2006-08-16, 15:52   Link #98
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

Got the 2nd R1 and I'm still disappointed at the dubbing. It's not as bad as Negima but it's not top tier quality.

Though I think they fixed the Ana problems, or did the others just get worse to cover her up. I like Nobue though and that Cell phone gag worked great in English.

Old 2006-08-16, 16:04   Link #99
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I probably should give the english dub another listen ...... its all the expense of the chiropractor afterwards that limits it.

They just keep using the *same*pack of VAs who have pretty minimal acting skills in all these R1 dubs....

Nothing just quite beats Miu razzing out her impertinent honest quips in the original language.

edit: (listened to ep 1, 2, & 5 in english) .... the *script* is pretty good.... the voice casting isn't horrid .... but the acting just isn't bloody there.
They *sound* like people standing in a studio reading their lines for the first time.

Ana... .... eeeyah... granted the "english-to-english" is a toughy ... but they're inconsistent about the <SPEAKING ENGLISH> overtitle. But... isn't Ana supposed to be BRITISH???? sheesh, not even a fake brit accent?

Last edited by Vexx; 2006-08-16 at 16:45.
Old 2006-09-28, 23:18   Link #100
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Followup: I suppose Ana is supposed to have been raised in the local dialect so in the english dub one might not hear much of an accent --- but I'd kind of expect her to at least 'fake' a british accent. imo, the dub team just flubbed it.

In more important news, I just got word the third and final volume of Ichigo Masimaru with the set box just shipped today from DVD Pacific. .... woot, I say ....

Tags
comedy, loli, seinen, slice of life