AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2004-01-08, 03:35   Link #1
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

How to overclock my Athlon XP 1800+

First of all, I'm a total noob about that matter. I just know that you have to deal with your mother board and your processor manually. But, I don't know what to touch or not touch. I don't know ANYTHING.

However, I'm really interested about overclocking my AMD because I have read that it encreases the profornmace of your PC greatly without spending any money XD

So please if anyone knows about it let us know about it. I'm sure that this is not just interesting for me but for many other athlon users as well.

Thanks
Old 2004-01-08, 04:18   Link #2
MuGeN_BoY
<--- Lolita Complex

well imho i dont think u should overclock ur AMD XP chip unless u got the fans to cool it ...

Since AMD XP chips heat up very quickly, overclocking it will make it even worse...

And you may even fry your chip, thus ending up with no chip at all...
MuGeN_BoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-08, 05:07   Link #3
u&t

After running fine for 9 months my XP1700 oc ~> XP2400 has kindof died. It still runs if you underklock it but the system is not very stable. I don't mind . I'll just buy a new faster, funnier cpu with more potential.

Anyway. I hope you get the point. If you don't know what you're doing don't do it. If your computer is a brand-name one it is probably not even possible.
u&t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-08, 12:09   Link #4
chris
[root@localhost]#
*IT Support

in my opinion you should not overclock your cpu unless you have sufficient cooling but i am going to say that all motherboards are diffrent and if your computer is "factory assembled" you may not be able to overclock it because it is a piece of trash, the thing is i run a pentium not amd so overclocking for a amd may be diffrent o yah im not responcible if u fry your prosesser but on my computer i go into the bios and change the multiplyer and clock speed the unfortunate thing is that all bios are diffrent now i may be wrong on how to overclock the chip but i have not changed my speed for a while because due to the fact i dont want to ruin my chip. hope this helps a little.
chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-08, 16:01   Link #5
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

Well I built my computer myself, I bought each of the parts and I put them togheter. Therefore, there is no inconvient at all if I want to mess with my processor. My Atx tower has 5 fans in it. So I suppose that's enough cooling. I just wanna try it.

So can anyone give instructions on what the procedures are to overclock my processor? By the way, that is not a very risky process. It is more risky to attach you processor to your mother board.

Does anyone in this forum has the knowledge to overclock a processor? Please.
Old 2004-01-08, 16:12   Link #6
chris
[root@localhost]#
*IT Support

what type of motherboard and bios do u have?
chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-08, 16:15   Link #7
Liddo
wheeeee!~

Send a message via AIM to Liddo Send a message via MSN to Liddo Send a message via Yahoo to Liddo
cooling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugetsu
Well I built my computer myself, I bought each of the parts and I put them togheter. Therefore, there is no inconvient at all if I want to mess with my processor. My Atx tower has 5 fans in it. So I suppose that's enough cooling. I just wanna try it.

So can anyone give instructions on what the procedures are to overclock my processor? By the way, that is not a very risky process. It is more risky to attach you processor to your mother board.

Does anyone in this forum has the knowledge to overclock a processor? Please.
even though u think 5 fans maybe enough for cooling.. thats not exactly the problem... its actually the size of the heatsink and the RPM rate of the fan right above the heatsink.. this determines whether u can overclock or not.. typically a custom comptuer can be overclocked a bit. maybe 1~200 mhz... any higher u probably have to get one of those really fat volcano heatsinks and a fan that runs at like 40,000 rpms.... if u need to overclock anymore or want to best to get water cooling... water cooling can go anywhere from 50~300 bucks.. and up.... the higher the price the better u can overclock because of the heat being ported away.....

lastly depends on what kind of motherboard u have. some motherboards come with overclocking software.. other have the feature locked so that u cant even overclock if u wanted to.... other things u can do is buy a certain little paste thingie.. not sure what its called but basically it bridges the L1-L5 bridges together. u have to do that if ur althonXP wont let to overclock just by settings.

iono if this helps.. i personally have a P4 2.5ghz. P4 tend to be better at overclocking.... because the althons run at higher algorithms they burn hotter... P4 have higher FSB so they dun need to run as high to get the same results. so best of luck.... but IMO just spend like 300 bucks and upgrade to P4 then u can overclock really easy...
Liddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-12, 14:19   Link #8
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

stupid question from a Japanese Akihabara goer:

Don't you guys have water-cooling systems or a peltier-heatsink-fan combo for such matters? If you do, use them instead of old-fashioned lapping heatsinks and generic CPU fans.
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-12, 17:39   Link #9
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris
what type of motherboard and bios do u have?
I have a not well known mother board "n2pap-lite" with a nVdia nForce2 chipset It supports From Duron 900mhz to Amd Athlon XP 3200+, with Ram data bus of 200mhz, 266Mhz, 333mhz and 400Mhz At double date rate. Agp 8x, Ultra DMA 33/66/100/133. And the bios configuration has this misc settings:

Host clock at Next boot is: The choises are: 100mhz, 133mhz, 166mhz, 200mhz, 236mhz, 240mhz, 242mhz, 244mhz, 245mhz, 250mhz. (It is currently set on 133mhz)

DRAM clock at next boot is: The choises are: 100 mhz, 110, 125, 133, 138, 166, 200, 208, 221, 249. (it is corrently on 133mhz)

Cpu Ratio Select: choises are x5 ~ x24

VDD Auxc select: Choises: 1.6V(default), 1.7V

VAGP Output: choises: 1.5V, 1.6V, 17V.

VRAM Output: Choises: 2.5 ~ 3.0V

VAUX Output: Choises: 2%, 4%, 8%, 12%, 16%.

VTT Voltage: choises 1.25v, VDIMM/2.

VAGP/VRAM LUV Protect: Protective funtion on mother board when over current presents: choises: Enable(default) , Disable.

So that's what I have that can possibly help me to overclock my processor. Is it possible to overclock my mother board with this features? How?

Thanks
Old 2004-01-12, 17:46   Link #10
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
I have a not well known mother board "n2pap-lite" with a nVdia nForce2 chipset It supports From Duron 900mhz to Amd Athlon XP 3200+, with Ram data bus of 200mhz, 266Mhz, 333mhz and 400Mhz At double date rate. Agp 8x, Ultra DMA 33/66/100/133. And the bios configuration has this misc settings:

Host clock at Next boot is: The choises are: 100mhz, 133mhz, 166mhz, 200mhz, 236mhz, 240mhz, 242mhz, 244mhz, 245mhz, 250mhz. (It is currently set on 133mhz)
I assume that this would be it...(I never used an Athlon so if I am wrong please feel free to correct the casual assumption I will make...)

If your clock is at 133MHz, than your Athlon 1800 has a multiplier of 13.5.

It is pretty strange why the clock speed isn't selectable in 5Mhz increments. Try changing the clock speed to 166. Then you should get around 2200 on your Athlon. Next time, by an AsusTek or Gigabyte motherboard...they are the best for the casual computer modifier.

Like I said, I am uncertain as I am an Intel user. Try at your own risk. I cannot guarantee that you will not fry your processor or motherboard.
Old 2004-01-12, 17:51   Link #11
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
I assume that this would be it...(I never used an Athlon so if I am wrong please feel free to correct the casual assumption I will make...)

It is pretty strange why the clock speed isn't selectable in 5Mhz increments. Try changing the clock speed to 166. Then you should get around 2200 on your Athlon.

Like I said, I am uncertain as I am an Intel user. Try at your own risk. I cannot guarantee that you will not fry your processor or motherboard.
By the way, if this is of any help, my power supply has 450w of capacity.
Old 2004-01-12, 17:56   Link #12
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
By the way, if this is of any help, my power supply has 450w of capacity.
Should be well enough.

The main concern here is, do you have proper cooling? When overclocking, never use the original heatsink and CPU fan that the CPU came with...buy a better one, or better yet, get a water-cooling system (if you guys have one in your country)
Old 2004-01-12, 18:42   Link #13
LynnieS

I was browsing the Overclocking forum on MSI's site, and one of the posts mentioned that sanding the heatsink that you're planning to use to have a smoother surface should be done also. I can see the point in doing so since you're trying to make sure that as much of the heatsink's surface is being used, but given that you should also use thermal grease, is this all that helpful?
LynnieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-12, 18:53   Link #14
durrem
[megaplay] *sparkles*

I'm an Intel person as well, so I'm not really up on AMD, but I don't think someone should go full out water cooling or peltier for their first overclock If I may, I recommend you take this question over to the overclockers.com forums. They are very newb friendly, and it is a great place to learn about overclocking. Just start reading the forums and you should start picking things up pretty quickly.

Here is a direct link:
http://www.ocforums.com/vb/vb/
durrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-12, 18:54   Link #15
u&t

Quote:
stupid question from a Japanese Akihabara goer:

Don't you guys have water-cooling systems or a peltier-heatsink-fan combo for such matters? If you do, use them instead of old-fashioned lapping heatsinks and generic CPU fans.
We have lots of that stuff although noone uses peltiers anymore. They create too much additional heat and are in most cases not worth the effort.

Hardcore otakus cools down their stuff with compressors that chills even overclocked chips to subzero temperatures. Although I'm sure you can get all this stuff in Japan as well I belive this is one of the few areas where we're actually not totally behind Japan.

Note to Sugetsu.

First make sure how much your memory can handle. Lower the multiplier freq and turn up the cpu clock. if things run stable then start to increas the cpu multiplier again.

You should always run the memory at the maximum speed it can handle. If you only have ddr266 memory you wont get very far though. Your cpu might be multiplier locked and then you're probably screwed...

All that was probably not very informative but I don't think anyone will bother to explain it in more detail. You have to know stuff down to the serial numbers of your cpu to be good at it. Read tech sites like hardocp and anandtech and you will be able to figure it all out yourself in the end.
u&t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-12, 19:23   Link #16
durrem
[megaplay] *sparkles*

Quote:

It is pretty strange why the clock speed isn't selectable in 5Mhz increments. Try changing the clock speed to 166. Then you should get around 2200 on your Athlon. Next time, by an AsusTek or Gigabyte motherboard...they are the best for the casual computer modifier.

AMD got a little "creative" about how they report the performance of their CPUs, starting with the XP line of processors. The number (1800 in this case) isn't the mhz, but rather the PR rating, or the speed of an equivalent Intel CPU. They did this because their chips do more "work" per CPU clock cycle, but their chips run slower compared to intel, on a Mhz basis. Anyway, the 1800 AMD actually runs at 1.53 Mhz (according to newegg.com), so it would be 11.5 x 133.

It doesn't look like that is much of an overclocking board, and ASUS and Gigabyte are good manufacturers. I also recommend Abit. From what I have heard, they have a very good Nforce2 board.

Oh, for Sugetsu, I tracked down your motherboard. I couldn't find an online pdf manual at their site though. Here's the url:

http://www.machspeed.com/n2paplite.htm
Old 2004-01-12, 20:07   Link #17
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

Quote:
Originally Posted by durrem
I'm an Intel person as well, so I'm not really up on AMD, but I don't think someone should go full out water cooling or peltier for their first overclock If I may, I recommend you take this question over to the overclockers.com forums. They are very newb friendly, and it is a great place to learn about overclocking. Just start reading the forums and you should start picking things up pretty quickly.

Here is a direct link:
http://www.ocforums.com/vb/vb/
Thank you! that site is really informative. It is a shame that I'm not well informed about all that tecnical information about processors.

This is what I underestood from all of you:

It is not recomendable to modify the clock's speed becuase it can increase the temperature dramaticly and then it will burn my processor. The other thing is that I can alter the clock speed by changing the host clock's speed in the bios. But, I should be careful with it. It is recomendable to increasse it little by little checking that the system is still stable as you go on.

So what about the voltage? shouldn't I modify the voltage of any of the other parts such as the Vram output? and one more thing, since me host clock's speed cannot be gradually increased by 5mhz is it still recomendable to change it from 133mhz to 166mhz? is that a big jump? If I change it to 166mhz will I notice the difference right the way or I'll have to wait a few minutes to see how the system reacts?

Ah! and by the way my mother board has an speciall proteccion that turns off the pc once the temperature of the system reaches 59 C . So I gues that should be pretty helpful, this mother board includes a termometer. So I gues I should watch the temperature closely.
Old 2004-01-12, 20:50   Link #18
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

??????????? I tried to register in the forums of overclocking but I got a message that my email address has been banned by the web master ??????????????
Old 2004-01-12, 21:14   Link #19
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by u&t
We have lots of that stuff although noone uses peltiers anymore. They create too much additional heat and are in most cases not worth the effort.

Hardcore otakus cools down their stuff with compressors that chills even overclocked chips to subzero temperatures. Although I'm sure you can get all this stuff in Japan as well I belive this is one of the few areas where we're actually not totally behind Japan.
You mean like those extremists that go on to LN2 cooling? Oh yeah, we have those fanatics as well. I don't dare to go that far...water-cooling is fine by me.

Quote:
This is what I underestood from all of you:

It is not recomendable to modify the clock's speed becuase it can increase the temperature dramaticly and then it will burn my processor. The other thing is that I can alter the clock speed by changing the host clock's speed in the bios. But, I should be careful with it. It is recomendable to increasse it little by little checking that the system is still stable as you go on.

So what about the voltage? shouldn't I modify the voltage of any of the other parts such as the Vram output? and one more thing, since me host clock's speed cannot be gradually increased by 5mhz is it still recomendable to change it from 133mhz to 166mhz? is that a big jump? If I change it to 166mhz will I notice the difference right the way or I'll have to wait a few minutes to see how the system reacts?

Ah! and by the way my mother board has an speciall proteccion that turns off the pc once the temperature of the system reaches 59 C . So I gues that should be pretty helpful, this mother board includes a termometer. So I gues I should watch the temperature closely.
You got the gist of it. Kinda weird way explaining things, but I guess you got the whole multiplier x clock thing.

And yes, 133 to 166 is a VERY BIG jump.

According durrem, your Athlon runs at 1.53 GHz (133 x 11.5 = 1530). If you increase your FSB to 166, then it would run at 1.91 GHz (166 x 11.5 = 1909)

I can't stress this enough...make sure you have proper cooling!!

Last edited by kj1980; 2004-01-12 at 21:26.
Old 2004-01-12, 21:18   Link #20
durrem
[megaplay] *sparkles*

Hmm, keep in mind I'm an Intel guy, so everything I say may be incorrect (and your computer may explode with smoke coming out if you listen to me heh). u&t basically had it correct. You have a very limited ability to adjust your FSB, jumping from 133 to 166 in this case. You need to test to see if your memory can handle 166Mhz. I looked at the AMD faq on overclockers forum and it said this:

"All XP2000+ and lower rated tbred cpus will be unlocked from the factory, allowing multipliers 5-12.5 to be adjusted in the bios of ANY MOTHERBOARD that support the processor and have multiplier selection."

(as an asside, this is different from Intel CPUs in that the multiplier is locked, so you can only play with the FSB)

So what you want to do is set your memory to 166, while dropping your multiplier to 9 or 9.5 (9.5 is a 50Mhz overclock, while 9 is slightly underclocked). This will increase the speed that your memory is running to 333 (166x2). This is preferable in that the CPU is at about the same speed, while the memory is running at a greater speed, giving you more bandwith. If you have 333 rated memory you could do this probably with no problem, but 266 might be able to handle it too. You cold up the vdimm by .1 or so to see if that helps. This is basically the first step. Then you play with the FSB and multipliers until you see what speed you can hit. You probably won't get very high, as the AMD retail cooler is a pos from what I've heard (Intel one is decent).

If you have an option to lock the AGP/PCI bus to 66/33 I recommend that you enable it.

This is very important: If you choose a setting and your computer won't post you need to reset the BIOS. There should be a jumper listed in your motherboard's manual to do this. Otherwise you can pop out the BIOS battery (looks like a big watch battery) for like 10 min from the MB.

A couple of programs I recommend:
Motherboard Monitor 5 (MBM5) for monitoring temps and voltages http://mbm.livewiredev.com/

(ah, shoot, I've got to split. You'll have to google them )

CPUZ (cpu and memory status)
Sandra benchmarks
memtest (test memory)
Prime95 (burn in)

Before you do any of this I really recommend you hang out in the AMD forum for a while though, just to get a better idea of what is going on.

Anyway, I've got to split. Good luck.