AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2022-07-01, 19:46   Link #1
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Star Ocean: The Divine Force

Mildly surprised there isn't a thread yet for the 6th mainline edition of the Star Ocean series, set to release on October 27th, 2022 according to the release trailer that debuted this past Wednesday.

https://starocean.square-enix-games.com/en-us/

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Also, saw this Tweet today. Got a good smile out of me.
https://twitter.com/StarOcean/status...7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-07-01, 20:25   Link #2
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

As someone severely burned by Integrity and Faithlessness (I bought it full price at launch!) I remain skeptical of how this game might turn out, especially with the claim of how the story will shake the universe of SO given the events of SO3.

And I have to reiterate that SO3, as good as it was, really made it difficult to appreciate the stories and events of the SO down the line in context.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-07-01, 22:09   Link #3
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Yeah, 5 kinda………damaged my appreciation for Star Ocean. That was really bad. If they learned from those mistakes though (mistakes that honestly shouldn’t have been made in the first place), I would be happy to play this one.
Old 2022-07-01, 23:10   Link #4
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

4 and 5 not doing it for me, hopefully they make good use of money and experience from Anamnesis.

Old 2022-07-02, 00:46   Link #5
Mahou
ダメ人 - 人間失格

Never played 4 and 5, but SO6 looks like it leans on SO2 with the dual protagonist setup and dude from high-tech planet vs girl from magic-centric planet. Wouldn't be suprised if some party member are route-exclusive.
Old 2022-07-02, 00:57   Link #6
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

All I really want is a return to the crafting systems used by 2 with the limitations of 3. A hybrid if you will.
Old 2022-07-02, 04:31   Link #7
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

YouTube

Minase Inori, Natsuki Hanae, Atsumi Tanezaki and Takahashi Rie. Well, they tried.

Old 2022-07-02, 19:53   Link #8
JagdPanther

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
As someone severely burned by Integrity and Faithlessness (I bought it full price at launch!) I remain skeptical of how this game might turn out, especially with the claim of how the story will shake the universe of SO given the events of SO3.

And I have to reiterate that SO3, as good as it was, really made it difficult to appreciate the stories and events of the SO down the line in context.
Never played SO4 or SO5 mostly because I just lost interest in JRPGs for a long time. Now that I am back in the saddle, I've replayed SO2 and played SO1 for the first time. Once I finish Final Fantasy V Pixel Remaster, I am going to start a fresh play of SO3.

Reading up on SO4 and SO5, I decided I'll get the Digital Remaster version of SO4 on PSN and give that a whirl. But, going to skip on SO5 given the bad reviews I've seen. No need to have my positive view of the SO series tainted by that.

Quote:
All I really want is a return to the crafting systems used by 2 with the limitations of 3. A hybrid if you will.
I remember the crafting system in SO3 being really complex....?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactics View Post
Minase Inori, Natsuki Hanae, Atsumi Tanezaki and Takahashi Rie. Well, they tried.

When I saw Takahashi Rie on there I was immediately pleased.

Old 2022-07-30, 20:17   Link #9
JagdPanther

Some additional info released the last few weeks:
YouTube
YouTube
YouTube

Last edited by JagdPanther; 2022-07-31 at 20:00.
Old 2022-07-30, 20:51   Link #10
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Hopefully DUMA makes some good updates on the battle system that the series sorely needs. It helped pioneer semi active ARPG combat years ago with the Tales series and has been falling behind since SO4.

That said it's been 2 decades and they still haven't improved that weird doll-like uncanny valley character models with stiff facial animations...
Old 2022-07-30, 22:16   Link #11
stray
Classic Yandere

Quote:
That said it's been 2 decades and they still haven't improved that weird doll-like uncanny valley character models with stiff facial animations...
I think they somehow took a step down from Integrity and Faithlessness... the character design is really not that appealing. That mop/mullet thing on Raymond's head is not okay.

Fiore Brunelli and Emerson T. Kenny were kind of fun in SO5 but I definitely felt like I wasted my money so I'm leaning towards waiting until this game is free on Epic Games Store... I'll check out reviews if nothing else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther View Post
Some additional info released the last few weeks:
I think this was the middle link you were going for, you dropped a "-"
YouTube
stray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-07-31, 20:03   Link #12
JagdPanther

Quote:
Hopefully DUMA makes some good updates on the battle system that the series sorely needs. It helped pioneer semi active ARPG combat years ago with the Tales series and has been falling behind since SO4.

Playing SO3 now (yikes; I do not remember the difficulty being this high), and it is kinda strange to me that a game 18 years old has similar characters appearances to a game coming out in 3 months. Even at that, I've noticed in SO3 that they give some facial expressions via movement of eyelids a bit. Like Nel narrowing her eyes at times to express disgust or suspicion.

I've seen a lot of people comment on these videos that the faces look awful.

I don't mind Laeticia, though. She strikes me as cold, anyway, so the lack of a lot of facial expressions doesn't bother me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stray View Post
I think this was the middle link you were going for, you dropped a "-"
Ack. Right you are. Fixed now.

Old 2022-08-09, 20:22   Link #13
JagdPanther

Quote:
Now that I'm 50 hours into my first play of SO3 since 2005... what did you mean by this, again?

SO3 item creation is driving me insane. It is so frustrating trying to find the right price and create something. And having the right combination of inventors... I haven't even started refining or synthesizing yet. That is going to be the death of me, based on everything I've read. I have no idea what to synth. So many options...

So, kinda curious what you meant by "limitations."

Old 2022-08-10, 04:31   Link #14
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Limitations as in you need specific places and some combos of specific people to craft efficiently. For me it's fine because being able to willy nilly craft anywhere like in 2 as long as you had enough levels in a crafting skill can easily break the game. In SO2 you could have endgame items the moment you load into disc 2.

So for me, I'd like the sheer scale and variety of items that you could make in 2, but with some appropriate restrictions of 3.
Old 2022-08-10, 20:12   Link #15
JagdPanther

Quote:
Limitations as in you need specific places and some combos of specific people to craft efficiently. For me it's fine because being able to willy nilly craft anywhere like in 2 as long as you had enough levels in a crafting skill can easily break the game. In SO2 you could have endgame items the moment you load into disc 2.

So for me, I'd like the sheer scale and variety of items that you could make in 2, but with some appropriate restrictions of 3.
Okay, I can sort of see that. While you could have endgame equipment kinda early in SO2, that didn't necessarily help across the board. Like, even with Cave of Trials equipment and being level 255, Gabriel Unlimited was a nightmare. Parts of the CoT were hard even with craftable endgame equipment and in the mid-100s.

I did my first refining tonight, getting some Rings of Erudition upgraded to give 20% extra XP. That wasn't too bad. Trying to conserve as much of materials as possible, though, given how hard it is to get stuff. I'll probably wait a while longer to give a go at refining anything else. I definitely need to recruit a few of the inventors that open up at the end of Disc 1 (but that you can't actually physically get back to recruit until a ways into Disc 2) so I can craft some particular items.

Having watched some reviews of SO4 and SO5 recently, I am curious to see what SO4's item creation system is like. Sounds like it's different yet again. Admittedly, I prefer the SO1/SO2 system because, to me, it's a heck of a lot less complicated. There's a lot of Random Number Generator madness, but at least it's straightforward.

Old 2022-09-03, 20:35   Link #16
JagdPanther

Forgot to post this earlier:
YouTube
Looks like quite the complicated skill tree.

Can't wait for the next video, which should include info on crafting.

Old 2022-09-11, 08:23   Link #17
The Green One

Played 4, didn't play 5, haven't really bothered to watch or read people's reviews as honestly I can't trust them anymore with them whining and bitching about nonsensical things half the time.
Old 2022-09-15, 18:03   Link #18
stray
Classic Yandere

YouTube
I had an XP deal on GreenManGaming and ended up preordering the Digital Deluxe for Steam against my better judgement. Hopefully it ends up being better than garbage.
stray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-09-15, 19:48   Link #19
JagdPanther

Quote:
Originally Posted by stray View Post
YouTube
I had an XP deal on GreenManGaming and ended up preordering the Digital Deluxe for Steam against my better judgement. Hopefully it ends up being better than garbage.
Sweet. I missed that trailer being released.

I have been hankering for Valkyrie Elysium info lately because there's been so little despite the game coming out in 2 weeks. I have been discouraged a bit by some of the early reviews of the demo as well as some other commentary, and it's made me worry about SO6, as well (namely Square-Enix's possibly meddling given their direction over the years).

But... that trailer has restored a little bit of hope. And I am eager to hear about the demo next week.

I still am not going to get this precisely at release because I want to get it for PS5, and I won't start looking for one until I beat SO4 (which I will start after I beat SO3... slogging through the Sealed Levels of Sphere 211 right now nearly 96 hours into the game).

Old 2022-09-15, 19:57   Link #20
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Yeah uh aside from the open world transition I'm still not impressed. Given SO5 again they need to compensate a lot to convince me to come back. Gonna try the demo though.