AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2012-04-06, 12:47   Link #1881
teja208
Critical fanboy

Seeing this chapter gives me the impression that Kakifly is trying to find ways to connect Azusa’s club life both past and present which wasn’t emphasis before in the manga. Azusa was the only kohai member so she got spoiled and teased a lot by the rest of the club for two years. The thing about Sumire and Nao is they have no idea of what Azusa had gone through. From readers’ perspective, they know very little about the club history. On the other hand, current Azusa is still embarrassed with how she was treated back then and thus sharing them with her kouhai members is strictly forbidden (especially her nickname), but I believe there are a number of fans who would like to exploit this side of her and embarrass her in front of the kouhais even against her will for laughs and moe. What I find missing from the manga is how Sumire and Nao never questioned anything related to events that happened before they entered the club out of curiosity until this chapter.
teja208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-06, 18:05   Link #1882
Bikerider
Senior Rider of Bikes

This chapter proves that Azusa may be the club president, but: Ui is the one who is really running it. She's the club manager.
Bikerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-06, 23:43   Link #1883
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

If so...who was managing the club in the days of Ritsu?
Old 2012-04-06, 23:53   Link #1884
blaze0041
a.k.a. Flammenkrieg
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
If it makes sense, I presumed management was handled by "everyone and no one".
Old 2012-04-07, 01:41   Link #1885
teja208
Critical fanboy

Quote:
Probabily Mugi, she supplies everything the club needs.

I don't know what's Azusa's definition of a successful light music club president, but definitely not Ritsu or Sawako or to some extention Yoshii if she knows about her.
teja208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-07, 09:47   Link #1886
Bikerider
Senior Rider of Bikes

I too say Mugi was the previous club manager. She handled nearly all the funding... and in her own way "managed" the other members. She even left instructions with Sawako on acquiring one particular member for the club.
Bikerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-07, 12:31   Link #1887
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Mugi-chan is the mastermind behind everything I'd bet, probably even planned to get the other girls to join her at the same Uni and all.
She's one to be feared on many levels

Rather amusing chapter even if just for Azu-nyan alone, she's really coming into her own now without HTT.

I look forward to seeing the band playing for real, would be great to see that in anime form.
Old 2012-04-08, 03:09   Link #1888
kaitok
Inspired Musician

Man... If you guys never stated those I won't even have realised how true it is that Mugi is the one running the club. Ritsu and Mio recruited the right person at the very beginning then!

I'm amusing myself now that I think that Ui is the "woman behind every successful man" (Azusa). I guess it works in this case. xD
Old 2012-04-08, 16:22   Link #1889
FlavorOfLife
Uncaring

The University chapter was great, much better than its slow start. The Highschool chapter continues its good start. Sawako is still a great bag of laughs especially played off Azunyan
FlavorOfLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-09, 13:16   Link #1890
Goggen

K-On! is having the month off, it seems. I guess Kakifly needs a break every now and then.
Old 2012-04-15, 08:37   Link #1891
novalysis

For some reason, I am enjoying the Highschool segment much more than the University segment. Nao, for one is a character type yet unseen in the previous HTT, but it's working out very, very well.

Still, if Kakifly was going for a HTT V3, made out of Nao, Surime and two other freshmen, now that's a greater challenge here. If he made it that far, and continued the HTT in Highschool, and yet writers such interesting characters, he would certainly prove that he is not a one Trick Pony.

It'll be a very interesting premise if K-on morphs into a long runner about the various members of the Light Music Club, through the years, as members come and ago. It'll be fitting, actually, if the story of K-on was not the story of Yui, but the story of a club.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-15, 09:18   Link #1892
Goggen

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
It'll be a very interesting premise if K-on morphs into a long runner about the various members of the Light Music Club, through the years, as members come and ago. It'll be fitting, actually, if the story of K-on was not the story of Yui, but the story of a club.
You just described my worst fear for the future of K-on!. Seriously, that would be horrible.
Old 2012-04-15, 16:20   Link #1893
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Still, if Kakifly was going for a HTT V3, made out of Nao, Surime and two other freshmen, now that's a greater challenge here. If he made it that far, and continued the HTT in Highschool, and yet writers such interesting characters, he would certainly prove that he is not a one Trick Pony.

I'm willing to bet a lot of people wouldn't like forgetting the original characters that made this franchise such a huge hit. Heck, if he just keeps repeating this central theme of people coming and going into the LMC, I think that would make Kakifly a one-trick pony. He already took a bit of a gamble by putting the original four through college, I don't think recycling the HS, or even Uni chapters with different characters will keep the fans interested for years to come.
Old 2012-04-15, 16:49   Link #1894
Goggen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Fire View Post
I'm willing to bet a lot of people wouldn't like forgetting the original characters that made this franchise such a huge hit.
Exactly. If Kakifly went that route, that would imply the characters are interchangeable and ultimately insignificant. Not a pleasant thought.
Old 2012-04-15, 18:20   Link #1895
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Well there is the two track route.

One follows HTT

The other Sawako and the Light Music Club...if the characters are interesting.

Sumire and Nao are interesting. There is no sure way that the next members will be interesting at all. If he can't come up with interesting characters to match those two to keep their band going, then it will probably end either with Azusa's graduation, or with an epilouge of Sumire and Nao's time in the Light Music Club...post Azusa. (besides, unless Mugi and Sumire have even younger siblings...the "Tea and Cake" Club will end when Sumire graduates...thus depriving Sawako of her Earthly pleasures.)
Old 2012-04-15, 18:33   Link #1896
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Mio at first wasn't it?

Later Azusa took on a lot of the load. At that point it was Mio and Azusa keeping order, with Mugi handling finances and logistics.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-15, 21:26   Link #1897
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:

I can't say *I'd* be fond of it and it isn't really even very original -- that's essentially how Lucky*Star went and (imo) it pretty much damaged the franchise. I certainly stopped following it when the camera stayed "in the room" while the characters moved on.

As Goggen notes, it implies the characters are disposable/interchangeable -- which is anathema to a series that is totally dependent on character interaction between unique characters. The new characters did not have nearly the same feel ... and it just amplified the appearance that the author is just using a matrix diagram to create characters.

I'm okay with expanding the cast (if we can trace direct connections to the original group) ... but even that can become unmanageable or leave no one actually getting any "screen time".

Last edited by Vexx; 2012-04-15 at 21:39.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-16, 03:16   Link #1898
novalysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I can't say *I'd* be fond of it and it isn't really even very original -- that's essentially how Lucky*Star went and (imo) it pretty much damaged the franchise. I certainly stopped following it when the camera stayed "in the room" while the characters moved on.

As Goggen notes, it implies the characters are disposable/interchangeable -- which is anathema to a series that is totally dependent on character interaction between unique characters. The new characters did not have nearly the same feel ... and it just amplified the appearance that the author is just using a matrix diagram to create characters.

I'm okay with expanding the cast (if we can trace direct connections to the original group) ... but even that can become unmanageable or leave no one actually getting any "screen time".
More accurately though, those issues are indeed contingent on whether any hypothetical expansions are as compelling, and interesting as the initial cast.

What's more likely of course, is that given these issues, I'd imagine that Kakifly might start a new Slice of Life Project. But then, that requires an utterly new set of cast, which would bring in the same issues that a K-on that changes it's cast every 100 chapters or so would put to the table.

So, more accurately, the question is whether Kakifly can keep producing characters that can prove to be just as compelling as his first breakout success, and yet are distinctively unique.

Personally, I feel while there's not a vast difference between Surime and Mugi, there's no parallel to Nao with regards to the members of the HTT, and yet I still find that the High School Expanded characters (Nao and Surime) are more memorable and engaging to read about then the University Expanded Characters.

If Kakifly keeps filling up the High School segment with more Surimes than Naos, then I would have to agree on the point of interchangeability. If fresh characters constructed around a wide variety of archetypes like Nao can be continually produced, and done well, then it could work.

Though certainly seeing the subtle changes in the character interactions of the Core Four characters in University is entertaining, and part of the reason why most of us probably still follow this manga.

If of course, Kakifly wants to focus on the Core Four characters, and yet stay true to the theme of a group of musicians, then there has to be signs that the Four are going to go professional at one point or another, which has interesting potential. Or , there could simply be the bittersweet theme of how growing up sometimes leads to a greater degree of separation between close friends. (That of course, we're far away from).

To me, if the author can only stick to certain character archetypes, then he is indeed a One Trick pony, at least judging by his ability to write characters alone.

Ultimately though, the issue would be whether K-on is the Story of four girls, and three juniors, or that of a Resurrected Light Music Club at a certain Japanese Highschool. So far, it seems that the author is hedging his bets, but eventually, he'll have to come to a decision. And if K-on is definitely about the first, then this project will end much sooner rather than later.

Of course, better for it to end on a High, than be dragged on to a parody of itself. We'd probably see once Azusa, Ui and Jun graduates whether Kakifly would axe the High School segment completely. If he chooses to continue on with the High School, then everything hinges on whether he can pump in two or three more fresh characters.

We'd have to keep in mind though that there's two and a half year more of story time at least to play with for the Four HTT Girls.

I wonder, will the High School and University chapters be released in separate volumes?
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-16, 12:33   Link #1899
Goggen

Quote:
I wonder, will the High School and University chapters be released in separate volumes?
Probably. There's been more than enough chapters to fill one volume for a while now, the fact that no release has been announced is probably an indication that they're waiting until they have enough chapters for two - one for the uni and one for the HS group. An unfortunate decision IMO, as it will mess with the chronology. The cross-referencing in the last two chapters especially will suffer, and who knows what else Kakifly has up his sleeve with the upcoming school festival...
Old 2012-04-16, 14:48   Link #1900
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

yeah, I think separating the HS and Uni into separate volumes would be a mess on chronology, crossover events, etc. In the end, they'll do whatever they think makes the most money though. And Kakifly is probably getting pressure from the editors to move in directions he may not want... that's what editors often do after all

Tags
comedy, seinen, slice of life