AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-10-31, 09:55   Link #1
Sety
Lost in your Eyes~~~

GR -Giant Robo- 40th Anniversary

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKbVr5zLZjk

A trailer for what seems to be a remake of Giant Robo, looks pretty good.

Also does anyone know what the name of the song is?

Last edited by Sety; 2007-04-16 at 15:40.
Old 2006-10-31, 11:02   Link #2
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Does look promising. I guess this is based on the original live-action series (which I never saw) and not the awesome OAV (which I still have on VHS lol). Shame, geuss that means no Ginrei...

Last edited by Sonhex; 2007-01-17 at 15:24.
Old 2006-12-19, 15:07   Link #3
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

13 episodes. Airs 19/01/07.

The website has a synopsis now (in English thankfully), along with plenty of character info and artwork. The GRs are some of the most distinctive in anime; GR1 especially with its Egyptian-like stylings. Love the look of the characters also and the use of flat colours in their design.

Quote:
The time is 20XX.
Mysterious huge robots called "Giant Robo (GR)" started to appear all over the world and destroy cities. The earth was covered with fear. And their next target is Japan! The hero of this animation Daisaku Kusama, who works in a diving shop, encounters a mysterious girl, simply called V who leads him to make a contract with an enormous robot "Giant Robo 1 (GR1)" at the ancient ruins (Minami Yonaguni Island) in Okinawa.

He made a contract with UNISOM (good guys) and was approved to be a commander of GR1. Thus his battle has begun against GRO (bad guys) and creates a lot of dramas. Before long, Giant Robo of the 21st century will ask the world the true meaning of its power.
If this sounds familiar or cliche, just remember GR did this first in 1967 (and before you and I were born probably). So this is a modern retelling, dispensing with the Cold War setting of the original, but it has the backing of its original creator Mitsuteru Yokoyama (who sadly died in a fire a few years back).

The inclusion of the Yonaguni Island ruins is quite interesting. The ruins are a series of possibly man made pyramids and structures that have been linked to the fanciful theories about Mu and Atlantis, aliens, crop circles and whatever. Anyway it's a neat bit of trivia and ties in with the GRs being created by a 'mysterious ancient race with supernatural power'.

I have fond memories of the Giant Robo OAV though I can't quite believe it's 14 years old! Anyway it was one of the first decent animes released in the UK (that didn't have tentacles in it). But there's no sign of Big Fire, Ginrei (possibly my first anime crush) or Dr.Shizuma and his miraculous drive so guess this'll all be based on the original. I'm looking forward to it.

Last edited by Sonhex; 2006-12-28 at 14:58. Reason: added confirmed airdate
Old 2006-12-28, 14:57   Link #4
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Few images from episode one, titled Qubit:01, confirmed as airing on 19/01/07:

Spoiler for saving space:
Old 2007-01-18, 16:06   Link #5
cyth
Banned

Watched episode 01...
Spoiler:
Old 2007-01-18, 16:15   Link #6
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Doesn't look bad but i would have prefer if the series was base on the Giant Robo OAV. With the Defender of Justice vs Big Fire and the over the top heros, villans and giant robots. And a over the TOP Ginrei
Old 2007-01-18, 16:41   Link #7
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Well yes as Toua said a real shame it aired in yucky DRM'd WMV crappyness, but apart from that is was wonderfully nostalgic and atmospheric throughout...
Spoiler for ep1 + screenshots:

Xellos-_^ I totally agree, but this was still quite nostalgic. But yeah, no Ginrei in this one (though Alex is pretty hot)... :P

Last edited by Sonhex; 2007-01-18 at 17:31. Reason: he he
Old 2007-01-20, 17:35   Link #8
evilgordo
Shizuma Inside

Talking

Hi everyone

I started to watch this on the a.m. of the 19th (Jp time) but only got 10min through. I was at work so I got interrupted

Anyway, seems the site was down for a bit and now, I'm watching it again, but I think its at half the viewing size. Can anyone confirm this, or is it just me.

Visually, its looking great, I'm even liking the soundtrack, but it will never come close to the '92 OVA.

Speaking of which, if anyone is interested, Imagawa is writing a new GR 'chapter' in Champion Red manga magazine. 5 chapters in so far and its really interesting, and who knows, if it does well, it could get animated, right? If not, we still have the Tetsujin 28 movie in March: Zangetsu the Midday!
Old 2007-01-21, 17:06   Link #9
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

You are soooo lucky. I can't download the d**** thing.

Oh well, I can always wait until after Feb 9th and see it the usual way if the site is still overloaded.
Old 2007-01-21, 17:17   Link #10
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

If you're having trouble getting on to the site, try the direct link for the WMV (178mb). It's an RTSP link, so copy/paste it into a download manager. Most download managers *should* be able to handle it. Flashget worked for me for example. You'll still need to register to get the DRM to work though, can't help you there

Last edited by Sonhex; 2007-01-21 at 17:47. Reason: poodle
Old 2007-01-21, 21:37   Link #11
orion

Thanks for your help Sonhex! You're a cherry flavored Life Saver.

Wow, they really have DRMs in Japan! My computer must have been extremely lawless from their perspective. Not even an upgrade to WMP 11 would satisfy that site.

I had to get another security update past WMP 11 to access that video.

Well, anyway... SWEEET! That was worth the effort!

Spoiler:

No classical music this time. It's a J-rock score.

No Ginrei, but we have Alex whose just as good as a contemporary update imo.
Old 2007-01-21, 21:57   Link #12
evilgordo
Shizuma Inside

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post

No classical music this time. It's a J-rock score.
Yeah, they used some orchestral music for the trailer, but I didn't hear anything like that in the 1st episode, so far, I am a little disappointed I hope that changes as the series progresses...IMHO the GR OVA has the most impressive soundtrack ever!
Old 2007-01-24, 02:05   Link #13
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Yay go Johnny Soko with your Giant Robot. But of course there is no Ginrei, a lot of characters were spliced into The Day The Earth Stood Still from Tetsujin-28 Babel and a whole slew of other shows the director worked on. Though the original live action series (the earliest iteration I know of) was pretty low-budget with a guy running around in a plastic Giant Robo costume battling giant monsters. In fact it was indeed spoofed on American Television in a parodub called Johnny Soko and his Flying Robot.
Old 2007-01-24, 06:02   Link #14
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Some info about the length. Giant Robo will be at least 26 episodes long. Season two is being planned already for 2008. There is also a possibility of a third season. ANS has the scoop.

And a reminder that Giant Robo starts it's proper TV broadcast on 9th Feb, with hopefully better raws surfacing thereafter and subs (hopefully).
Old 2007-03-30, 13:16   Link #15
Zagatto

OK... I've seen the raw episodes on YouTube in the low resolution available from there.

From what I can tell they are still looking for a company to license this series in North America. Does anyone know if there is a group fansubbing this series. I grew up watching Giant Robo and as much as I enjoyed the '92 series my heart lies with the old classics and this looks like a pretty solid ancestor to those.
Old 2007-03-30, 22:00   Link #16
orion

Not anyone mentioned here.

It happens....
Old 2007-04-16, 15:40   Link #17
Sety
Lost in your Eyes~~~

Question but does anyone know how to register on sg-TV?

www.sg-TV.co.jp

I recall they used to have a page with english instructions...
Old 2007-05-25, 16:17   Link #18
Blackula_Jonez

guess i joined a little too late, the OVA is one of my fave series of all time, which i own in vhs, bootleg dvd, and official dvd

sad to hear they are gonna have a j-rock score but they prolly don't want to even try to compare to the OVA's divne score in the first place lol
Old 2007-05-25, 20:00   Link #19
Sety
Lost in your Eyes~~~

Whats with all the putdown over the music ? From what I've seen and heard so far theres absolutely nothing wrong.
Old 2007-05-26, 13:54   Link #20
Blackula_Jonez

sorry if i came off like i don't like the new score, the fanboy in me wants them to top the original but thats asking for too much

the new score should stand and be judged on its own merits (even though i will prolly break this rule again, i still stand behind this reasoning)

that link to the wmv is dead, is there a torrent or something else available for download for this series?
Closed Thread