AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Aldnoah.Zero

Notices

View Poll Results: Aldnoah.Zero - Episode 5 Rating
Perfect 10 15 18.29%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 21 25.61%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 23 28.05%
7 out of 10 : Good 16 19.51%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 4.88%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.22%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.22%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.22%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2014-08-08, 10:42   Link #341
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
You know, I actually completely agree with you on this point. The fights aren't what I'm finding interesting (it's mostly the politics of the Martian side at present, and perhaps the music), though I like the popcorn entertainment factor that they bring.
Actually...on Martian politics....Emperor is told that Earth spies are everywhere and he totally ignores reservations he had 5 min ago about Earth's intentions...which them having spies, even if true, does not address those questions.

He's just asking to get a knife in the back sooner or later.....
Old 2014-08-09, 14:21   Link #342
LoveYouSaber

I don't see what's wrong with portraying Inaho as a smart pilot who is able to take down two arrogant Martians who were underestimating the people on Earth and over-reliant on their superior mechs instead of tactics. That's the way I see things currently, and we're only on episode 5, so there's still a distance to go before they introduce us to antagonists that are going to give Inaho trouble.

Anyhow I am much enjoying the show, with the politics and intrigue a plus, but it is at least refreshing where at least the MC doesn't use an overpowered tech and beam-spam everyone without need for tactics or brain (cough *Kira* cough) or wins the enemy-of-the-wekk by some mysterious power-up via the power of love/friendship/boobs...
Old 2014-08-10, 02:22   Link #343
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Actually...on Martian politics....Emperor is told that Earth spies are everywhere and he totally ignores reservations he had 5 min ago about Earth's intentions...which them having spies, even if true, does not address those questions.

He's just asking to get a knife in the back sooner or later.....
Well, he's sick and possibly senile.
Old 2014-08-10, 07:02   Link #344
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
A few points and clarifications given the posts on the last few pages of this thread.

1. I don't necessarily expect a competent soldier to know everything that can possibly react nastily with his weapon, but he definitely should know of the more common things that can react that way with it. Things like seawater. Now, could such a lack of knowledge be more the fault of the soldier's superior(s) and/or the weapon designer(s) not telling the soldier about this weakness? Sure, generally speaking. But I think Vlad's case is a bit exceptional since (I think?) his weapon is powered by Aldnoah, which wasn't created by any human scientist or engineer. So given that condition, I think Vlad should have taken it upon himself to learn more about the properties, major strengths, and major weaknesses of his weapon.

2. The reason I think Vlad didn't know about the seawater-related inherent weakness of his weapon is twofold...

i) He's attacking an enemy positioned on the ocean, of all places. I'd honestly like to think he's not so incompetent as to do that while knowing full well about the seawater weakness of his weapon. I'd honestly have to 'upgrade' Vlad from "a bit incompetent" to "deserves a Darwin Award" if he was aware of the seawater weakness of his weapon prior to engaging in battle with Inaho.

ii) Vlad seemed genuinely shocked at what was happening when his suit and weapon started getting submerged in water.

The above being said, perhaps he did know about it. It doesn't change my core contention of incompetency on Vlad's part, so it's not a big deal to me if I'm right or wrong on this secondary point.

3. I don't consider the competency level of the Martian side as a whole to be unbelievably bad. I also don't recall ever writing anything that said or implied otherwise.

4. Competency and talent are two different things, in my view. If an ace pilot cavalierly dismisses warnings made to him about his weapon, then he's still a highly talented pilot, but he's acting in an incompetent manner. A big part of competency, in my view, is being prepared to face challenges/obstacles that you're likely to face.
Old 2014-08-10, 07:44   Link #345
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
i) He's attacking an enemy positioned on the ocean, of all places. I'd honestly like to think he's not so incompetent as to do that while knowing full well about the seawater weakness of his weapon. I'd honestly have to 'upgrade' Vlad from "a bit incompetent" to "deserves a Darwin Award" if he was aware of the seawater weakness of his weapon prior to engaging in battle with Inaho.
Irrelevant. It's not like getting a bit of seawater on his weapon would be dangerous. For it to cause an explosion, he has to be completely submerged. It's not like getting submerged with a rifle instead of a plasma sword would have saved him.

At worst, it's like when Iron Men in Game of Throne choose to fight in plate armor instead of mail. Sure, falling in the water in plate is almost certain drowning, but it's better protection against the swords and knives of their enemies - and even in mail, if they fall in during a boarding action, they're probably dead anyway.
Old 2014-08-10, 09:11   Link #346
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Irrelevant.
I strongly disagree. It's very relevant. All Vlad needs to do is make one slight error, or one clumsy move, and bang! game over. It is a stupid risk to needlessly take if you are aware that the risk is there.
Old 2014-08-10, 09:20   Link #347
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
I strongly disagree. It's very relevant. All Vlad needs to do is make one slight error, or one clumsy move, and bang! game over. It is a stupid risk to needlessly take if you are aware that the risk is there.
He needs to fall into the sea, which is probably lethal no matter your armament. I guess you could debate the advisableness of taking a giant mech to fight on a ship at all, but plasma swords aren't the problem.
Old 2014-08-10, 09:30   Link #348
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
He needs to fall into the sea, which is probably lethal no matter your armament.
Well, unless I missed something, we don't know how much maneuverability his suit has in water. You could be right that the suit alone makes a "falls in water" risk severe.

But even if it doesn't, the plasma sword puts it over the top, because we know what that causes when submerged in water.
Old 2014-08-10, 10:33   Link #349
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

It causes him to die quickly rather than being slowly crushed by the pressure or whatever other horrible ways to die could happen. The additional risk (compared to the risk of fighting on water without the sword) is rather negligible.
Old 2014-08-11, 10:44   Link #350
Ultraviolet X

Quote:
1. I don't necessarily expect a competent soldier to know everything that can possibly react nastily with his weapon, but he definitely should know of the more common things that can react that way with it. Things like seawater. Now, could such a lack of knowledge be more the fault of the soldier's superior(s) and/or the weapon designer(s) not telling the soldier about this weakness? Sure, generally speaking. But I think Vlad's case is a bit exceptional since (I think?) his weapon is powered by Aldnoah, which wasn't created by any human scientist or engineer. So given that condition, I think Vlad should have taken it upon himself to learn more about the properties, major strengths, and major weaknesses of his weapon.
The Mech is clearly designed for land combat, and I doubt there's large bodies of water on Mars in any case. So how would that sort of weakness occur to him, and why and how would he follow it up in any case?

I'll agree that hes incompetent, but I don't agree he's incompetent for that reason.
Old 2014-08-13, 12:29   Link #351
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
That "CPR" scene was hot as hell. Good episode overall that proves how a lie can be repeated so much it can become truth, and the truth gets twisted into a lie. Meanwhile, the Count and Co's evil schemes and Slaine Abuse keep up the amusement levels.

Uh, Princess, I think there's still some water left in me

Yea, he totally beat me to the eggs at the supermarket. I won't allow this again!

Yea. I'm like totally bored.
I also find it amusing she often just stands on the side looking completely pissed while waiting to say her mandatory line. Then again, given what happened to her, that makes sense.

Man he seemed awfully pissed. Is it because I didn't type GG?

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Closed Thread