AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-11-18, 22:06   Link #1
Jetbent
Cross Game convert

Misunderstood (delinquent) protagonists?

Anyone know of any shows (preferably romance) where the male protagonist is a misunderstood delinquent or similarly plagued character (due to the way they look or something that happened in their past ) who has a change of heart somehow?

Examples of ones I've seen with this sort of trope include:
  • Midori no Hibi (Main Protagonist is delinquent fighter)
  • Chibi Vampire (Main protagonist has scary eyes that make people afraid of him)
  • Yu Yu Hakusho (Main protagonist is a delinquent fighter)
  • Toradora! (Main character has delinquent eyes)
Old 2009-11-19, 01:18   Link #2
Full Metal Coast
-Gantzer-

Location: Perth, Western Australia - Down Where The City Meets The Sea
Souichiro Nagi in Tenjho Tenge
Kazuma in Kaze no Stigma
Kenshin in Rurouni Kenshin
Vash in Trigun
Casshern in Casshern sins
Old 2009-11-19, 01:57   Link #3
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetbent View Post
Anyone know of any shows (preferably romance) where the male protagonist is a misunderstood delinquent or similarly plagued character (due to the way they look or something that happened in their past ) who has a change of heart somehow?

Examples of ones I've seen with this sort of trope include:
  • Midori no Hibi (Main Protagonist is delinquent fighter)
  • Chibi Vampire (Main protagonist has scary eyes that make people afraid of him)
  • Yu Yu Hakusho (Main protagonist is a delinquent fighter)
  • Toradora! (Main character has delinquent eyes)
I must say, a perfect suggestion I could make for this is Clannad and it's sequel Clannad: After Story but it's hard to imagine that you haven't seen this series yet In case you haven't, Tomoya fits the bill but instead of being misunderstood, he actually is a delinquent who's life dramatically changes after meeting a girl. A must watch series in my opinion.

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
Old 2009-11-19, 02:04   Link #4
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

As Dex-Kun said, Tomoya of both Clannad seasons personifies this archetype.
Old 2009-11-19, 08:53   Link #5
Jetbent
Cross Game convert

Yup I've seen Clannad (and loved it), as well as all of the ones that full metal coast suggested except Casshern sins and Tenjho Tenge. I'll give them both a look. In any case, it's getting to the point where it's almost irresponsible to assume someone hasn't seen Clannad
Old 2009-11-19, 08:58   Link #6
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Clannad definitely and my other thought was Bleach (lol?).
Old 2009-11-19, 09:15   Link #7
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

No one's mentioned Harima Kenji from School Rumble yet? He's the first one I thought of when reading the request.
Old 2009-11-19, 11:05   Link #8
Jetbent
Cross Game convert

Yeh School Rumble is on my watch list. Just having trouble finding it in Japanese with english subtitles, so I put it on my netflix and am hoping for the best
Old 2009-11-19, 11:46   Link #9
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I would recommend you follow Kimi Ni Todoke, except the protagonist in question is actually a girl. Her name is Sawako but everyone calls her Sadako and is afraid of her due to her striking resemblance of the girl in The Ring movie, also called Sadako.

The story revolves around her trying to break the misconceptions surrounding her and making friends, so it's the actual focus of the story, rather than something on the side.
Old 2009-11-19, 12:01   Link #10
Jetbent
Cross Game convert

Already following it but thanks
Old 2009-11-19, 17:59   Link #11
Qilin
Romanticist

What's this? Why is Angel Densetsu not here?
It's the most spot-on recommendation I can think of... but it's a manga.
Old 2009-11-19, 20:17   Link #12
Jetbent
Cross Game convert

I don't necessarily have anything against manga, but I usually find it harder to follow. Anime is simply more accessible for me (usually). Plus, when I read manga, I read it as if the characters are speaking english which I dislike. That's one of the main reasons that I watch all of my shows in Japanese with english subtitles. I still retain the comprehension, but feel like I get more authenticity out of it. Plus there's the fact that dubbing is almost always horrible (to me at least).
Old 2009-11-19, 23:29   Link #13
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Tomoya from Clannad? really? O_o... I thought he was just lazy... other than his subpar grades... he's never given off the impression to me as someone who's misunderstood as a "bad person"
Old 2009-11-20, 01:34   Link #14
andromeda0201

I think Ichigo from Bleach fits the bill as well, his classmates aren't exactly scared of him, but he has this delinquent look in which people don't really dare be friendly to him

Zaitsu Misao from Hatsukoi Limited also fits, but hes more like a supporting character
Old 2009-11-20, 01:59   Link #15
kakakka

Ocha Nigosu really fits your title. Masaya Funebashi is a bit naive and misunderstood Well, unfortunately, the series is a manga and not romance* though. Well, you can probably just take a peek. Only the first 16 chapters were translated. You won't get that much attached to this series, but it's not a total waste to read since it has some hints of comedy.

For anime, I can only think of Hanamichi Sakuragi of Slam Dunk this time. The guy is a deliquent, but tried basketball to win over a girl. Though from what I remembered about the series, it's more sports than romance...
Old 2009-11-20, 03:54   Link #16
Omurqi

I'd recommend Akane-Iro ni Somaru Saka. The anime has a similar feel to it as Midori Days had. It's (also) about a misunderstood deliquent because of his past. He saves a girl from a couple of guys in the beginning, and romance and awkward moments begin. The endings in both series go a bit "deeper" than most romance/ecchi(/harem) shows.

Yes, I guess Clannad also sort of fits the bill, but most people are simply distant to him, instead of fearing him as a delinquent. Although it's something I really like to recommend you seeing the other shows you liked, it probably won't fit your "misunderstood delinquent" request enough.
Old 2009-11-21, 01:32   Link #17
Jetbent
Cross Game convert

I've seen Akane-Iro ni Somaru Saka as well as Clannad. Thanks though. I don't really see how they're delinquents though. I didn't really like the ending of Akane, and I really liked Clannad (and absolutely loved Clannad: After Story). I actually checked out Hatsukoi Limited... the explanation of the show that they gave on anime planet made me think it would be a lot different than how it is... But I realized that it seems pretty episodic. I'm not really into a "change the protagonist from episode to episode" kind of guy, so I dropped it pretty quick.
Old 2009-12-01, 02:33   Link #18
nomuni
Animal Gangster

Cheeky angel is one. I forget the Japanese title though. It has a bit of gender bender or whatever you call it but it's not so bad. Kind of weird at first though but strangely satisfying at the end.
Old 2009-12-01, 03:21   Link #19
Scorch

Most of the really obvious ones have already been mentioned.

Great Teacher Onizuka might have what you're looking for. The main character is a former member of a biker gang who decides he wants to become a teacher. So he's basically trying to reform himself. Several of his students are pretty bad too (bullying etc) and he tries to get them to reform as well.
Old 2009-12-02, 09:04   Link #20
Jetbent
Cross Game convert

Alright I might check it out. It seems to me like one of those "teacher with a troubled past comes and fixes students with a troubled past" tropes that every other american actor is making these days.
Closed Thread