AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2008-06-30, 14:27   Link #881
FuzzyWuzzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcomp View Post
That wasn't a cliff hangar. Just not the happy ending most fictional work wraps up with.
Hanging and cliff hanger aren't the same. "Hanging" means he didn't finish the story and he let the viewers use their imagination to finish the story. Cliff hanger means that a plot or sub plot ended suddenly leaving the audience in suspense but the plot or sub plot will be resolved in the next episode.
FuzzyWuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-30, 16:04   Link #882
Xcomp
Owe No Favours!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyWuzzy View Post
Hanging and cliff hanger aren't the same. "Hanging" means he didn't finish the story and he let the viewers use their imagination to finish the story. Cliff hanger means that a plot or sub plot ended suddenly leaving the audience in suspense but the plot or sub plot will be resolved in the next episode.
Still doesn't change the fact there was an ending and as I already mentioned, it was a sad one

Except those that didn't like it can think about what the characters may come across in the rest of their lives. I'm sure the message that Shinkai tried to get across with this movie's ending is how one should be able to learn and move on as denoted in the novel.

Last edited by Xcomp; 2008-06-30 at 16:16.
Xcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-30, 17:34   Link #883
cheung

Ah you could get the artbook on the BFI screening day argh!

Oh well, hmv.co.jp have it in stock now apparently, just ordered mine

I'm still waiting on the 5cm/s DVD Did they sell posters at the BFI screening? I really want one.
cheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-30, 21:00   Link #884
Izayoi
I LOVE FLAN_CHAN
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Izayoi
Finishing the first episode lead me to a extremely obsession yet I haven't care to see the last two episodes; oh dear, that is how messed up I am.
Old 2008-06-30, 22:57   Link #885
FuzzyWuzzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcomp View Post
Still doesn't change the fact there was an ending and as I already mentioned, it was a sad one

Except those that didn't like it can think about what the characters may come across in the rest of their lives. I'm sure the message that Shinkai tried to get across with this movie's ending is how one should be able to learn and move on as denoted in the novel.
That's what they all said in "voices of a distant star" but we all know shinkai gave it a happy ending after some time has passed.

If that dude ever finishes the story or produce a 30 minute continuation of this anime, it is very likely he will give it a happy ending. It doesn't mean that the two characters will be together but he will definitely give it a happy ending.
Old 2008-07-01, 03:21   Link #886
Xcomp
Owe No Favours!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheung View Post
Ah you could get the artbook on the BFI screening day argh!

Oh well, hmv.co.jp have it in stock now apparently, just ordered mine

I'm still waiting on the 5cm/s DVD Did they sell posters at the BFI screening? I really want one.
The artbook was sold out very quickly there and no, I don't think there were posters being sold. In fact I don' t think there are official posters... If there were they would be the advertisements only

Quote:
That's what they all said in "voices of a distant star" but we all know shinkai gave it a happy ending after some time has passed.

If that dude ever finishes the story or produce a 30 minute continuation of this anime, it is very likely he will give it a happy ending. It doesn't mean that the two characters will be together but he will definitely give it a happy ending.
Who are "they" exactly? I guess you don't consider a sad ending an ending.
Spoiler:
And I think Shinkai movie watchers would say his movies have bitter (sweet?) endings so the "we" must really just be yourself.
Xcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-07, 21:55   Link #887
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

You know, I don't have any special reason to post this - just an overflow of reaction to yet another viewing. This film is so amazing on so many levels, but every time something comes along to put me in mind of it - the blu-ray torrent, the DVD, even a particularly interesting post here - I find myself planted in front of the screen, telling myself I'll just watch a couple minutes, and I end up being unable to stop until I'm all the way through the "One More Time, One More Chance" montage at the end and emotionally drained.

It's funny how a movie - in this case a simple mix of Photoshop and genius - can become a part of you for the rest of your life. 5 CM is always going to be part of my emotional makeup, and it's changed the way I view anime as art, and art itself. Especially "Cherry Blossom" - for all the strength of the other chapters, that's the one my mind always jumps to at the oddest moments. As a mixture of visual imagery and simple emotional truth, it's hard to compare it to anything else. How can a mere 20-odd minutes of animation contain so much elemental power that they can break down all the barriers of a cynical adult and render him helpless to resist their power? How can Shinkai's backgrounds be so hyper-realistic - to look and sound and feel more real than if they were "real" video? If there was ever a testament to how magical this medium can be, that must surely be as good as any, right there.

Sorry to hijack the conversation for selfish reasons - call it therapeutic, if nothing else. Sometimes these things just need to be written down...
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-08, 13:22   Link #888
FuzzyWuzzy

"they" as in people with limited viewpoints, understanding and comprehension.
No matter how you look at it, it's not really a sad ending. Maybe it's a sad story but the ending is by no means sad. Even if you say they both moved on, that's a good ending since both characters lived, there were no tragedies, and they lead a happy life afterward. While it's not a fairy tale happy ending, it's definitely not a sad one.

Think about it, the movie is about this guy who couldn't forget about a girl. We saw how miserable he is and how it affects the people around him but in the end of the movie according to you guys, he moved on. That's not a sad ending. The main character found salvation or a glimpse of light at the end. So it's definitely not a sad ending. I don't even know why I have to explain, it seems so obvious.

Although the movie ended at that part. I do not believe the story ends there.

PS: All of shinkai's works before 5cm have a happy ending. Do you research first please before spouting nonsense.

Last edited by FuzzyWuzzy; 2008-07-08 at 13:53.
Old 2008-07-08, 22:11   Link #889
Fweakin

Quote:

No matter how you look at it, it's not really a sad ending. Maybe it's a sad story but the ending is by no means sad. Even if you say they both moved on, that's a good ending since both characters lived, there were no tragedies, and they lead a happy life afterward. While it's not a fairy tale happy ending, it's definitely not a sad one.
No, what you mean is "they" as in people who have a differing opinion to your own.

Just because people don't die, it doesn't mean that they lead a happy life afterwards, or they eventually do. I don't know whether you see the world as distinctly black or white, or you're just phobic to the idea of a sad ending, but the harshness and arrogance with your comments is really driving me nuts.

I'm not trying to pick a fight, but most of your posts make it seems like you are, whether intentional or not. It's your choice on whether you want to act on that.
Fweakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-09, 01:59   Link #890
cheung

Quote:

Think about it, the movie is about this guy who couldn't forget about a girl. We saw how miserable he is and how it affects the people around him but in the end of the movie according to you guys, he moved on. That's not a sad ending. The main character found salvation or a glimpse of light at the end. So it's definitely not a sad ending. I don't even know why I have to explain, it seems so obvious.

Although the movie ended at that part. I do not believe the story ends there.

PS: All of shinkai's works before 5cm have a happy ending. Do you research first please before spouting nonsense.
The movie was left open on purpose to let the viewer decide the outcome. There isn't enough to suggest a happy or sad ending and it could be argued either way.

For you to think that there is actually a solid happy ending, is up to you, but please don't troll when others interpret the movie differently.
cheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-09, 03:30   Link #891
Z3120

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyWuzzy
Now, now. No need to belittle people to get a point across.

Quote:
I could say for Takaki and Akari to not have been able to grow up together qualifies as a tragedy. Quite saddening considering that the bond they forged while they were youngsters is succumbed to influences beyond their control. It wasn't enough to make me cry, but it felt painful in a mental sense.

And quite frankly, whose to say they both are leading a happy life? I still have my qualms with Takaki's future. Not to say he won't become happy eventually, but from where his actions lead up to the railroad crossing, I wouldn't be so sure at him having one. At most, I see him moving onward and gaining some sort of understanding of whatever it was that was on his mind and became acceptive of it and parted ways; but him being happy immediately afterward? I'm not so sure I would absolutely say he is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheung
There isn't enough to suggest a happy or sad ending and it could be argued either way.
It definitely could be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcomp
And I think Shinkai movie watchers would say his movies have bitter (sweet?) endings so the "we" must really just be yourself.
Yeah, I would say B5CM is a bittersweet ending (not intent to watch his previous movies at the moment). Not happy nor sad, just a purely bittersweet ending imo.
Z3120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-09, 11:41   Link #892
FuzzyWuzzy

I'm pretty sure, that's what I've been saying all through out the thread. The movie's ending is open.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fweakin View Post
No, what you mean is "they" as in people who have a differing opinion to your own.
I'm always right in the end so that's not true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3120 View Post

Yeah, I would say B5CM is a bittersweet ending (not intent to watch his previous movies at the moment). Not happy nor sad, just a purely bittersweet ending imo.
He said "his movies". Not just 5cm. We all know the story of all his movies ended in a happy ending except 5cm.

BUT TY for everyone although I know it wasn't your intention but you guys just back me up on what I'm trying to say all along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3120 View Post
I could say for Takaki and Akari to not have been able to grow up together qualifies as a tragedy. Quite saddening considering that the bond they forged while they were youngsters is succumbed to influences beyond their control. It wasn't enough to make me cry, but it felt painful in a mental sense.
I did say it was a sad story and not a sad ending.
Old 2008-07-09, 13:44   Link #893
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
Uhh... sure, man, sure. Here, have a candy.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-09, 19:02   Link #894
Z3120

Quote:
I'm pretty sure, that's what I've been saying all through out the thread. The movie's ending is open.
A contradiction? If the ending is open, wouldn't that mean how B5CM ended, whether on a happy or sad note, could certainly be open to interpretation?

Quote:
That's such an arrogant statement.

Quote:
He said "his movies". Not just 5cm. We all know the story of all his movies ended in a happy ending except 5cm.
Another contradiction? At least you've admitted there's a potential to B5CM of being sad. Unlike before where you blatantly, downright shot down the possibility of such a thing from happening. What's so hard into accepting there could be a sad ending?

And I do realize what he was referring to by movies. I didn't watch the other 2 movies I know of by Makoto Shinkai (B5CM was my first) so I didn't bother to make any statement about those movies.

Last edited by Z3120; 2008-07-09 at 19:20.
Z3120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-09, 22:50   Link #895
FuzzyWuzzy

You know, if you don't know what we are talking about, you shouldn't butt in. You are making assumptions and putting words in my mouth. When I said "sad ending" I was pointing at the movie ending. When I said, the ending was open, I was talking about the story. The movie may have ended there but the story is still hanging and doesn't have a conclusion yet.

See I was talking to person B. It's an A and B conversation. You are person C. Then you read a reply and butt in but you don't know what we were talking about. Do you always do that? That's a bad habit... you should get rid of it. You are trying to force yourself into a conversation but you don't know what we are talking about. If you want to do that then at least know what is going on then I don't have to waste my time explaining stuff.

So as you can see, at the end, I'm still right. If a person is right, there is no arrogance there. Only truth. If people find the truth too bright then they should close their eyes and be blind.

It doesn't matter whether the story ends with a happy or sad one. I don't really care. But what I do want or in my wishlist is that the story should end. At least the viewers gets some closure and knows what happens to the main characters whether they die, fell into despair or live happily ever after.

Last edited by FuzzyWuzzy; 2008-07-09 at 23:01.
Old 2008-07-09, 23:19   Link #896
Nervous Venus

This is a forum, not a private conversation. Obviously people are going to butt in.

I do agree that the ending had "closure", even though it was pretty sad, and I was sort of like " Aww, man, one of them should have given the other one
Spoiler:
."
Maybe I'm a total moron, but I still don't get why they didn't do it.

Of course, no lesson would be learned, and we wouldn't be discussing this movie for 45 pages, if they had, so all in all, well, all in all, the movie turned out to be a pretty good experience.
Nervous Venus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-10, 10:20   Link #897
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Quote:
So as you can see, at the end, I'm still right. If a person is right, there is no arrogance there. Only truth. If people find the truth too bright then they should close their eyes and be blind.
Man, I think I rarely get the urge to tell someone to shut the fuck up, but you are making me do it.

Realize that this is a discussion forum. If you want to educate people in your enlightened ways, then find a way to do it in your own ego-log, those things that give you complete control on who comments and who doesn't. There are lots of free ego-log providers around, find one and rant about how right you are all you want.

This is a piece of artwork, and as such, it must be interpreted. Unless you have a direct line to Shinkai, unfortunately enough, your interpretation is as valid as that of any other person. Now, I believe that this is not a sad ending, or perhaps merely bittersweet, so I suppose I agree with you, partly, but I find your attitude so ass-backwards that I'm going to ask you to stop posting here, for the sake of everyone's well-being (including yours).

Quote:
It doesn't matter whether the story ends with a happy or sad one. I don't really care. But what I do want or in my wishlist is that the story should end. At least the viewers gets some closure and knows what happens to the main characters whether they die, fell into despair or live happily ever after.
Why? Just why? Perhaps because you can't accept different interpretations? Are you so short-sighted that you can only accept storylines that have a definite closing? That bars you from a lot of damn good pieces of art.

Last edited by WanderingKnight; 2008-07-10 at 10:31.
Old 2008-07-10, 11:00   Link #898
FuzzyWuzzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nervous Venus View Post
This is a forum, not a private conversation. Obviously people are going to butt in.
Yes you are right, I butt in all the time too. But I'm saying, if people are going to butt in, at least they should know what is going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
Why? Just why? Perhaps because you can't accept different interpretations? Are you so short-sighted that you can only accept storylines that have a definite closing? That bars you from a lot of damn good pieces of art.
Why do you want to know? The answer is the same as why you are asking this question.

Curiosity! Because I want to know for no particular reason or even purpose. I want to know what happens to both of them. What happens to Akari after she got married. What happens to Takaki if he did move on.

See while most people can only come up with 1-2 interpretations of what happens to the main characters at the end, I have read and watched enough stories that I can come up with 100 interpretations. It's not that I want to come up with 100 interpretations, they just pop up. All of them are likely to happen or have a high chance of happening. I want Shinkai to tell me which one of those 100 is the right one. I'm curious to which interpretation I come up with is correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nervous Venus View Post
Maybe I'm a total moron, but I still don't get why they didn't do it.

Of course, no lesson would be learned, and we wouldn't be discussing this movie for 45 pages, if they had, so all in all, well, all in all, the movie turned out to be a pretty good experience.
Takaki lost his letter so he couldn't give it to her.

Last edited by FuzzyWuzzy; 2008-07-10 at 11:19.
Old 2008-07-10, 11:16   Link #899
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Quote:
Why do you want to know? The answer is the same as why you are asking this question.

Curiosity! Because I want to know for no particular reason or even purpose. I want to know what happens to both of them. What happens to Akari after she got married. What happens to Takaki if he did move on.
And "your own interpretation of what happens to both of them is what counts" is not an answer? Or are you just lazy?

Old 2008-07-10, 11:21   Link #900
FuzzyWuzzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
And "your own interpretation of what happens to both of them is what counts" is not an answer? Or are you just lazy?
I edited my post! Maybe you didn't read it.

Tags
coming of age, drama, romance, shinkai