AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-01-06, 00:05   Link #21
_X12A_Testament

Neon Genesis Evangelion

I am considering getting a Neon Genesis Evangelion box set because I never have seen the entire series yet ( I know), but I want to get the complete set with all the eps, and INCLUDING the special OVA ending eps and movies? (I am not exactly sure on everything that got released). I am hoping someone knows if there is a set that has all of these, as I have read that the OVA ending really does it justice over the original aired episodes and I dont want to get screwed in not getting them..

I know some people on here know this, any help is appreciated

Last edited by NoSanninWa; 2006-01-06 at 00:44. Reason: Threads merged. Please SEARCH before posting a new thread. It will keep you from annoying the moderators or making yourself look stupid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
_X12A_Testament is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-06, 00:55   Link #22
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvatarADV
Okay, here we go.

IN THE BEGINNING, there was Neon Genesis Evangelion. Lo, and we looked upon it, and saw that it was good. ;p (Your mileage may vary.)

Four episodes had additional footage added for the Director's Cut; we recently released them and 25-26 on two new discs. (This is "Genesis Reborn" and "Resurrection", respectively.)

After the series was over, and the ending was deemed as bizarre (which it is, though I like it), a new ending was planned as a movie. It took longer to animate than they thought, though, so they ended up releasing it in two parts: first as Death and Rebirth, then as End of Evangelion. They came out in the US at the same time, if I'm not mistaken, but from Manga and not us.

Now we're working on the Platinum release, with the remastered video and a new 5.1 mix (and we're also going back through and reworking the subs ;p).
So what can be added on since this was originally posted?

Now we have the Platinum Edition. Is this the same as the Japanese Renewal edition? Or is the Renewal edition something that still hasn't been brought over to R1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambience Blue
Okay... I'm really confused now. What would be the optimal order to watch them, then? (I've just finished the original series and am confused). Correct me if I'm wrong:

1. Original Series
2. Death and Rebirth
3. End of Eva (movie)
4. Director's Cut 21-26

Thx, folks.
Actually, the best way to watch it is:
1. Evangelion 1-20
2. Director's Cut 21-24
3. Evangelion 25-26
4. End of Evangelion Movie
Death & Rebirth: There is no reason to watch this movie because it contains nothing that isn't included in the list above. The first part, "Death" is merely retelling episode 1-24 with 5 minutes of new footage. All that new footage was included in the Director's Cut rendering "Death" pointless if you saw the director's cut. The second half, "Rebirth" is just the beginning of "End of Evangelion" so that is equally redundant.

The original version of Evangelion 21-24: This is merely an inferior verison to the Director's Cut, lacking all the new footage from Death.

There is no Director's Cut of episodes 25-26.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-06, 01:49   Link #23
_X12A_Testament

So I would have to get the platinum DVD collection + End of Evangelion to get the entire experience? Not too bad....
_X12A_Testament is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-06, 01:56   Link #24
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
Is this the same as the Japanese Renewal edition? Or is the Renewal edition something that still hasn't been brought over to R1?
Renewal is Platinum. Well... almost.

The Japanese release, dubbed Renewal, featured the same remastered video and 5.1 audio that you'll find on the Platinum release. In addition to this, both Renewal and Platinum have incorporated the Director's Cut footage into the normal feature. The only notable difference between the two is that the Japanese release, Renewal, not only has the remastered TV series but also the movies while Platinum is only the TV series due to conflicting license rights over the movies.

If one were to get the Renewal box (it was a limited release and is sold out), there would be no need to ever buy another EVA release... Except the ADV release if you need the subtitles. ^^
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-06, 04:20   Link #25
Soluzar

Send a message via AIM to Soluzar Send a message via MSN to Soluzar Send a message via Yahoo to Soluzar
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
So what can be added on since this was originally posted?

Now we have the Platinum Edition. Is this the same as the Japanese Renewal edition? Or is the Renewal edition something that still hasn't been brought over to R1?
As it happens, the Renewal of Evangelion edition is something that we'll never see in entirety. The Platinum Edition contains all the re-mastered footage from Renewal, but none of the digital omake. There were some pretty darn cool omake in the Renewal set, but the ones on ADVs Platinum Edition pretty much blow.
Soluzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-06, 14:14   Link #26
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Paper
Renewal is Platinum. Well... almost.

The Japanese release, dubbed Renewal, featured the same remastered video and 5.1 audio that you'll find on the Platinum release. In addition to this, both Renewal and Platinum have incorporated the Director's Cut footage into the normal feature. The only notable difference between the two is that the Japanese release, Renewal, not only has the remastered TV series but also the movies while Platinum is only the TV series due to conflicting license rights over the movies.

If one were to get the Renewal box (it was a limited release and is sold out), there would be no need to ever buy another EVA release... Except the ADV release if you need the subtitles. ^^
And practically it was a steal for only 40,000 yen for the entire set, which includes a kick-ass case, a DVD book that looks like the monolith, many extras including AR scripts and pre-production version of the animation, commercial footages, etc. etc.

I really contemplated whether or not to buy it since I already own the LaserDisc sets, but I am now glad that I did. Now that is a limited edition item that I don't regret buying.
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-07, 08:00   Link #27
stonedzombie
またね

Send a message via AIM to stonedzombie
40,000 yen?!?!!?......yikes......thats like 400 buxx american......I'll take the Platinum for 50 buxx
stonedzombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-07, 09:27   Link #28
Eeknay
Gendo died for your sins.
*Fansubber

Protip; if you're watching EoE for the first time try and find a Renewal copy instead of relying on the Manga R1 DVD... the R1 has terrible video quality. Only problem is that the R2 Renewal doesn't have Eng subs.
Eeknay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-08, 19:18   Link #29
Drake
dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ
*Graphic Designer

Erm for those who keep mentioning the Death and rebirth movie as a recap

You do know the 110mins part is like a prologe to explain the series the movie follows a few minutes after........

and the 2 movies are basicly alternative versions of episodes 25-26

and why would we need a platinum version if its already digitaly spectacular with dolby digital surround sound and audio commentary.....?

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-09, 11:03   Link #30
Eeknay
*Fansubber

Yes, I think they're aware it's meant to be viewed as a precursor to EoE. However to many it is still a recap of the series. Also Rebirth is completely redundant.

Also EoE is the alternate version, not Death.

Quote:
and why would we need a platinum version if its already digitaly spectacular with dolby digital surround sound and audio commentary.....?
I don't understand this question. Platinum is just the American version of the Japanese Renewal set.
Old 2006-01-10, 15:42   Link #31
RoRo_en_el_foro

So I understand the platinum edition will have spanish subs? Hope so...
RoRo_en_el_foro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-10, 20:43   Link #32
Eeknay
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoRo_en_el_foro
So I understand the platinum edition will have spanish subs? Hope so...
Not that I'm aware of... R1 NTSC definatly doesn't, R2 PAL also doesn't to my knowledge.
Old 2006-01-30, 23:00   Link #33
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Was EoE ever officially dubbed an 'alternate ending,' since it seems like the two different endings didn't necessarily clash...

At any rate, I'm kind of confused about the end of EoE...
Spoiler:
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-31, 19:16   Link #34
AnimePlus
Banned

Send a message via AIM to AnimePlus
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy
Was EoE ever officially dubbed an 'alternate ending,' since it seems like the two different endings didn't necessarily clash...

At any rate, I'm kind of confused about the end of EoE...
Spoiler:
Wow, there are a lot of things you don't understand hehe. EoE is the official ending, episodes 25-26 of the series are an alternate ending. If you think I'm wrong take a few seconds to look it up.
Now I will explain as briefly as I can EoE and such....
Spoiler:
AnimePlus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-31, 19:32   Link #35
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Thank you very much, AnimePlus, for clarifying all of that for me. I must sound like an idiot with such a little understanding of what is going on, but I did watch it at 1 AM so maybe I have some kind of excuse EoE is, then, an acceptable ending to a fantastic series that, I believe, deserves its popularity.
Old 2006-01-31, 22:03   Link #36
Crimen Scythe
Daemon Mortis

Send a message via ICQ to Crimen Scythe Send a message via AIM to Crimen Scythe Send a message via MSN to Crimen Scythe
I wanna see where the manga of NGE leads to..but it's gonna take a long while to finish at this rate... I consider the eps 25-26 of the TV to probably be the last thoughts of everyone before Third Impact fails; although, Shinji doesnt accept HCP, he is accepted by all the other souls...IMO
EoE was a perfect ending for NGE...
Crimen Scythe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-31, 23:00   Link #37
kitsura
King of Brave

If you think that 40000 yen for the Japanese boxset is expensive you obviously haven't seen the the collectors' edition boxset that Gainax released to commemorate the day of second impact (September 13 2000 I think). Presenting the Second Impact Box. They were released in 3 seperate volumes and each set cost 20000 yen. And supposedly there were only 500 complete sets released worldwide. I bought this boxset since it was the first to be released. Little did I know that Gainax would be releasing another boxset in 2003 with better quality audio and lower price.
kitsura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-01, 17:21   Link #38
RoRo_en_el_foro

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimePlus
Wow, there are a lot of things you don't understand hehe. EoE is the official ending, episodes 25-26 of the series are an alternate ending. If you think I'm wrong take a few seconds to look it up.
Now I will explain as briefly as I can EoE and such....
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
RoRo_en_el_foro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-01, 22:52   Link #39
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoRo_en_el_foro
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Old 2006-02-02, 00:40   Link #40
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

They're basically different approaches to the same theme.

One provides an overtly intellectual view of it (which confused most people) while the other provides an action filled approach downplaying the intellectual aspect of it (which confused many people as it didn't clearly explain anything).
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mecha, psychological