AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2014-04-07, 05:15   Link #2401
rpapo

Quote:
Originally Posted by apr View Post
I read the books in the original Japanese, so I don't have to rely on translations. It's at Banri's family home. Matsuko is Banri's family cat. Same as the anime.
And I believe I've said this already: my translation of the last few pages is not final. My Japanese is less than perfect, and context (what has gone before) is everything when you are trying to read Japanese. The anime shows Banri and Kouko with his mother, with a cat called Matsuko. The light novel makes it quite clear that Kouko's father either came to pick up Banri, or is coming to pick up Kouko. What is not clear is which.

I am told that the cat (or dog? It's not stated.) Matsuko belonged to Banri's family. I wouldn't have known that, not having read volumes 5-8 through from start to finish yet.

The text said that Matsuko and somebody's father bracketed Kouko. I took that as jealously protective, as Kaga family members. They may have simply been attracted to Kouko's beauty. Their reasons for sticking to Kouko were not stated in the book.

So for the time being, I am willing to accept the idea that they were really in Banri's house, and when the time comes to review the end of volume 8 after having translated everything else up to then, I may alter my translation of the ending somewhat. But it looks right now like the only thing that may need changing is the location. The rest of what I translated wound up agreeing quite well with the anime ending, which I had not yet seen when I did that translation.

My understanding of Japanese has improved enormously since I started this project, and hopefully I will understand it yet better by the time I finish it.
rpapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-08, 02:18   Link #2402
RightSaidFred

Quote:
I read the books in the original Japanese, so I don't have to rely on translations. It's at Banri's family home. Matsuko is Banri's family cat. Same as the anime.
We see in episode 16 of the anime, that Koko has a cat, when Banri visits Koko at her house. We don't see a cat at Banri's house at any time not even the final episode. Obviously this can be an anime deviation but the anime reflects what rpapo translated.

As the story goes, Koko comes to bring Banri back. Koko's father is coming to get Koko with or without Banri. Koko is surrounded by someone's father and a cat/pet. Based on this context, it would make the most sense that they are at Koko's house. That's not to say they can't be at Banri's house.

You're relying on your own translation. This would not be the first time someone has a different translation. Translations are tricky. Context is everything. At this point I can't say who has the correct translation. I know rpapo doesn't consider himself the official version but until someone can walk through the text and indicate where the translation is in error, I will go with rpapo's version.
RightSaidFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-08, 08:17   Link #2403
apr
Pedestrian

Yeah, there are in fact 2 cats. As usual they've cut "unnecessary" parts from the anime. The Tada family cat is introduced in volume 6 chapter 4 (page 172). Can't remember where they decide on a name for it, but it's confirmed in volume 8 chapter 6 (page 331) that its final name is Matsuko.
Old 2014-04-08, 08:25   Link #2404
rpapo

Quote:
Yeah, there are in fact 2 cats. As usual they've cut "unnecessary" parts from the anime. The Tada family cat is introduced in volume 6 chapter 4 (page 172). Can't remember where they decide on a name for it, but it's confirmed in volume 8 chapter 6 (page 331) that its final name is Matsuko.
In fact, when I was translating those last few pages, I had no idea who or what Matsuko was at first. I initially assumed it was Kouko's little brother (mentioned in volume 2), but then when I saw the bit about it being stretched across their laps and licking its paws, I realized it was a pet. I assumed it to be a cat at that point, though the text doesn't say what kind of pet it is. Not there in those pages.
rpapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-08, 09:01   Link #2405
ginger02

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpapo View Post
In fact, when I was translating those last few pages, I had no idea who or what Matsuko was at first. I initially assumed it was Kouko's little brother (mentioned in volume 2), but then when I saw the bit about it being stretched across their laps and licking its paws, I realized it was a pet. I assumed it to be a cat at that point, though the text doesn't say what kind of pet it is. Not there in those pages.
I dunno, there are some boys I know that are like that too
ginger02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-08, 17:50   Link #2406
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

I really liked this anime, and the last few episodes left me with tears a couple times. Right now I'm still seeing Yana-san crying before Banri, telling him that Koko told him everything, and I can't hold back my tears. It was such a powerful moment to me.

I agree with the others that the ending was rushed, but my only real problem with it is how at the bridge Linda suddenly appears and can see and touch the old Banri. It makes no sense. Even if somehow she could see old Banri, she would wonder why she's seeing two Banris, and be utterly confused.

Something I would have liked to see is how the parents of Banri and Koko saw their relationship. Especially Koko's father, as we're led to believe that he thinks of her as a disaster.
Old 2014-04-09, 18:38   Link #2407
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

The more I think about it, the more disappointed I am with the ending. If all you wanted was a happy ending with Koko, it's okay, but as a whole it's not very convincing.

Banri's memories coming back is like a convenient flip of a switch, like was already stated. Furthermore, what actually happened? Does he now have both sets of memories? What's to say that he won't forget part or all of his memory again? Nothing convinces me that Banri's ordeal is over.

If he did retain both sets of memories, wouldn't he have to give some pause to having feelings for both Linda and Koko? He doesn't even think about it once he remembers Koko, which would actually suggest that he lost his older memories again.

Something tells me the author didn't have much of an idea of how to conclude his/her tale and just wanted to get it over with.
Old 2014-04-10, 02:09   Link #2408
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
Something tells me the author didn't have much of an idea of how to conclude his/her tale and just wanted to get it over with.
That's not it, most likely the author was under pressure to rush the LN ending, in order to have it come out at the same time as the anime ending. From what I get the LN could have used another volume.
Old 2014-04-10, 07:17   Link #2409
apr
Pedestrian

So uh. Apparently I managed to convince CR to update their subtitles a bit, but Linda's last line on the bridge is still only halfway there.
Old 2014-04-14, 09:39   Link #2410
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
DANGIT, why wasn't this in the anime?! >.>

Old 2014-04-14, 20:26   Link #2411
User68604
Disabled By Request

liked the ending but that picture above is icing on the cake.
User68604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-14, 23:43   Link #2412
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
DANGIT, why wasn't this in the anime?! >.>

K...Kouko in that wedding dress .

I seriously hope this isn't the last scan we get for Golden Time, or the last official anime art with Kouko in it, but if it is I can probably be satisfied considering the content .

Really, just a lovely picture, and one I expect to be fulfilled in the immediate future for this couple .
Old 2014-04-16, 09:40   Link #2413
Kakurin
大佐

Kouko looks great! But why couldn't they have added this into the anime, at least as an end card after the credits? Still, nice to see that.
Old 2014-05-14, 04:48   Link #2414
Mubyoshi

I'm late as hell to the party, finally got around to finishing this anime. And it is... wtf? I give it a 5/10. Wish they had expanded more on the side characters and I'm probably the only one here that didn't really like Koko very much. Also, old Banri pisses me off, constantly crying for Linda like she's his mom or something. Can't compare to Toradora imo.
Mubyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-16, 00:38   Link #2415
RightSaidFred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mubyoshi View Post
I'm late as hell to the party, finally got around to finishing this anime. And it is... wtf? I give it a 5/10. Wish they had expanded more on the side characters and I'm probably the only one here that didn't really like Koko very much. Also, old Banri pisses me off, constantly crying for Linda like she's his mom or something. Can't compare to Toradora imo.
Welcome, it's never too late.

In terms of the anime Toradora was better, agreed. The more I read of the LN the more I see how the anime fell short. What is interesting is the number of people who did not like Koko. I wonder if the same people who did not like Koko from watching the anime feel the same way when reading the LN.

@apr thanks for the info about the cats. Guess I can't judge the LN based on the anime.
RightSaidFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-15, 21:46   Link #2416
EroKing

Old 2014-06-16, 14:29   Link #2417
Frontier

That's a really nice group shot .

I also like Kouko's face in the pic and that she's wearing her ring .
Old 2014-07-15, 04:44   Link #2418
Arturia Polaris
Good OP Hunter

Talk about being late. I probably vanished since the Animesuki password debacle, but since I have an exam in like 3 hours I had no better idea than to finish watching golden time (Stuck at 15).

Up till the appearance of the ghost banri everything was A-Ok. Ghost Banri ruined like 5 episodes of 24 total (a big number imo). I would have liked this series to be more about emotional drama instead of forced drama (by a ghost no less).

I was always for team linda, but the ghost ruined it for me. However, I do believe that episode 22 was the highlight of the entire anime. That's the kind of drama I signed into at first. Episode 6 really got me into the whole Linda thing, but whatever. Kouko won me in the end, and everyone else apparently.

I'm not saying that she's not flawed. But that's exactly what makes her great, isn't it? Same as Linda, same as Yana. I liked almost all the characters except the ghost and the lack of screentime Okamera got.

In the end my emotions were all over the place and by episode 24 I was not even sure what I felt. In fact I know what I did feel: A sour taste in my mouth.

This is the equivalent of a Phyrric Victory in anime romance. Kouko won but in the end she didn't win, in fact no one won; it was just that Tada Banri finally split and Linda confessed to the somehow materialized ghost, finally getting that huge load of her chest and being able to move on, Ghost banri was happy and new banri got back to the happy self of the first 12 episodes minus linda parts.

This was a rollercoaster. And just for messing with my emotions before an exam I'm giving it a solid 6,5/10.

Linda with long hair wins though. *hides in a bunker*

My fanfiction works include:

Tari Tari: Past and Present, As the Gentle Breeze Blows
Little Busters: Bird's Song
Sword Art Online: Vanquishing of the Laughing Coffin

My own works include: Social Fact
Arturia Polaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-15, 13:03   Link #2419
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
NSFW
Warning: Not safe to view at work or school!
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2014-07-29, 15:00   Link #2420
Frontier

Two pics showing off Kouko's perfect body/figure, and one in a very attractive bikini? Thank you kindly !

Tags
college, comedy, drama, love triangle, romance, seinen