Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Old 2013-07-21, 08:24   Link #41
Kimidori
The Opened Ultimate Gate

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobita View Post
Can RWBY considered as anime when it only runs for 8 mins average?
never watched anime like Recorder to Randoseru? it only run 5 min average.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
meh

anime is japanese animation.

this is Anime-influenced animation or anime as in "a Japanese style of motion-picture animation"
the difference here that unlike Anime-influenced animation, which keep some trait from western cartoon, this show go full-on anime style, not just influenced.

I think the "anime" have become a word to describe an art form now, as now if you find a random pic of a random girl from anime or manga or LN or even original, people call it an "anime picture", not "manga picture" or anything else, a drawing from a japanese or western artist with anime style is still called an "anime drawing", same with "anime girl" and such. I think the word is not just use to say that a animation work is from japan anymore.

quote from the creator, which I agree with him.

Quote:
Some believe just like Scotch needs to be made in Scotland, an American company can’t make anime. I think that’s a narrow way of seeing it. Anime is an art form, and to say only one country can make this art is wrong.
looking at his deviantart profile, he an anime fan and that probably make this show cause of that, as he list his favourite character is Kimihiro Watanuki from xxxHOLiC
Old 2013-07-21, 08:39   Link #42
DXMichael
Psycho Falling Deep

The word anime is used to describe Japanese animation, but it doesn't intend to say "If the anime wasn't made in Japan, it's not really an anime".

Even though RWBY doesn't exactly portray the Japanese animation art style, Monty intended it to have similarities to a Japanese art style. I'm sure he would have been all for it if he had the budget of average animation company would have to make it into a more Japanese animation art style, but he used his already learned knowledge, his already bought equipment, and his already hired and experienced crew to make the exact same thing with a slightly different animation style.

Is it really justified to say we can't call this an anime simply because he didn't (Or couldn't) use Japanese animation art style and made it in America?
Old 2013-07-21, 08:44   Link #43
Tenzen12

Can someone tell me, why it matter?
Tenzen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-21, 08:49   Link #44
DXMichael
Psycho Falling Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
Can someone tell me, why it matter?
It doesn't matter, it wont change people's opinion on the characters or story or anything.

But people can have discussions can't they?
Old 2013-07-21, 08:55   Link #45
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXMichael View Post
The word anime is used to describe Japanese animation, but it doesn't intend to say "If the anime wasn't made in Japan, it's not really an anime".

Even though RWBY doesn't exactly portray the Japanese animation art style, Monty intended it to have similarities to a Japanese art style. I'm sure he would have been all for it if he had the budget of average animation company would have to make it into a more Japanese animation art style, but he used his already learned knowledge, his already bought equipment, and his already hired and experienced crew to make the exact same thing with a slightly different animation style.

Is it really justified to say we can't call this an anime simply because he didn't (Or couldn't) use Japanese animation art style and made it in America?
"Japanese" implies origins in Japan.

Yes it's justified. Sucks to be him.

Just call it "international anime" or "OEL anime" like they did for the manga section (international manga, OEL manga). "International manga" was the catch all created for the genre that's "inspired by Japanese manga" that included OEL manga. To bring up the Scotch issue isn't really fair as there are regulations set up to tell you what is considered Scotch whiskey. It's a strict chemical, fermentation process. Science is easlily replicated with all the components anywhere.

Animation is an art form. It is not easily replicable. The anime industry doesn't really have these regulations. They probably will now as they have to protect their export product. You can't just have any company making something and calling it your product.

Anime and manga are cultural products from Japan. That's also why ThunderCats, Iron Man, Xmen and Wolverine animation are considered "anime".

Last edited by orion; 2013-07-21 at 09:14.
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-21, 09:04   Link #46
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

it just doesnt feel "Japanese style Anime ". more like "Deviant Art style Anime"

thought make me think

what do you think about Ōban Star-Racers?

anime or not?

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-21, 09:05   Link #47
Nayim

Here's official art in full body and concept sketch.

Spoiler for Ruby Rose:

Spoiler for Weiss Schnee:

Spoiler for Blake Belladonna:

Spoiler for Yang Xiao Long:

Spoiler for Concept Art:

By einlee.
Old 2013-07-21, 09:05   Link #48
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by DXMichael View Post
It's not anime because the studio is American. Outsourced animation is a third party handling the visuals but the "parent company" would still have to be Japanese.

Art style doesn't define anime either or a lot of inconsistencies with shows like Fist of the North Star and Technolyze would pop up very fast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayim View Post
Here's official art in full body and concept sketch.
Spoiler:

By einlee.
Blake and Yang look 80% MILFier. xD
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-21, 09:15   Link #49
Kimidori
The Opened Ultimate Gate

all girls theme + lyric

Old 2013-07-21, 09:15   Link #50
Nayim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akito Kinomoto View Post
It's not anime because the studio is American.Outsourced animation is a third party handling the visuals but the "parent company" would still have to be Japanese.

By that logic:

The Big-O, an anime mecha made by Japan is actually not cartoon show?
Old 2013-07-21, 09:18   Link #51
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

This thread wouldn't get so many passionate replies if it was just moved to the General Chat subforum instead.

I think that the mere fact that RWBY looks similar to some Japanese popular art styles doesn't make it an anime, because the main staff is not Japanese. But it seems like the mods agree that this cartoon is "anime" enough to fit in the Current Anime section, and I'm not very eager to make a ruckus about it like I did with The Legend of Korra.

I watched a couple of the trailers and the first episode. I personally find it impressive how the artists and animators managed to nail Japanese art styles and cinematography so much better than most big North American faux-"anime" shows like My Life Me. Ruby is actually an attractive and cute character, for one thing.

Quote:
Well it seem Japanese audiences was okay with it (Which is kinda surprise everyone acknowledge about RWBY) . There's a lot of RWBY fanart in Pixiv
It doesn't matter. All cartoons are "anime" to them; this debate is purely based on how western languages should use the word.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-21, 09:21   Link #52
Akito Kinomoto

Quote:
By that logic:

The Big-O, an anime mecha made by Japan is actually not cartoon show?
I'm saying If Sunrise Studios outsourced its animation, the end product is still an anime because the "parent company" is Japanese. I'm not sure what you're asking here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
This thread wouldn't get so many passionate replies if it was just moved to the General Chat subforum instead.
Or fan creations (what Roosterteeth is).
GANBARIMASU
Old 2013-07-21, 09:23   Link #53
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
it just doesnt feel "Japanese style Anime ". more like "Deviant Art style Anime"

thought make me think

what do you think about Ōban Star-Racers?

anime or not?
Depends on how much Pumpkin 3D contributed. Without that info, I'd say it's anime especially when info is taken into consideration.
Old 2013-07-21, 09:29   Link #54
Jun pls

For Japanese people anime are all sorts of drawn animation. It's only us Westeners that are picky about it, I guess. I think same goes for manga.

Not like I care what people think we should call it, though. It's in anime style and that's what appeals to people (and me). Not too sure about the story concept after just one episode, so I have to see if it's interesting or not.
Animation is nice, but sometimes looks a bit....stiff? I guess that's because it's computer animated and stuff like that, but well. I'll wait and see.
Jun pls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-21, 09:31   Link #55
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Welp, there goes the discussion: 60% "cartoons vs anime" arguments.

The story is decent, and has some similarities with anime plot layouts.

Ruby is a girl who tries to be normal but her innate fighting prowess makes her stand out above the rest. Her skills are witnessed by a Huntress (possibly an anti-threat organization or something in the league of the Hunters of HxH fame) and she gets into the Huntsman Academy accelerated, ruining her wishes to become a bit more low-profile.

So Yang is actually familiar with Ruby at the beginning. Was she under the same master as Ruby's or was some other event made them friends?

I think I need to rewatch this with a decent amount of volume.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-21, 09:33   Link #56
Kimidori
The Opened Ultimate Gate

unlike The Legend of Korra, Teen Titans and whatever, which at first glance it scream Western, this show feel pure anime, you guys just argue this not an "anime" by the your definition of the word in english, but there are not an real definition of it in english, for most, it describe an art style, what do you call this pic, an "anime pic" right? but it not from an anime, then what do we call it?
Old 2013-07-21, 09:34   Link #57
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

^ An "animated series", perhaps? It's more "country-neutral".
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-21, 09:36   Link #58
Kimidori
The Opened Ultimate Gate

I just want to say that the art style alone enough to make it an "anime".
Old 2013-07-21, 09:39   Link #59
Akito Kinomoto

"anime-styled."

The boorus carry non-anime stuff too but that's another topic altogether.
GANBARIMASU
Old 2013-07-21, 09:49   Link #60
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jun pls View Post
For Japanese people anime are all sorts of drawn animation. It's only us Westeners that are picky about it, I guess. I think same goes for manga.
Its not just 2D animation, all forms of animation are called anime in Japan, be it 3D or stop motion.

Also its not just Westerners that are picky, there are Asians who feel the same.

Actually the only people who are picky are foreign otakus, who feel that for some reason anime is a special term not to be mixed with cartoons.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, cgi, fairy tale, fantasy, rooster teeth, rwby