AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Code Geass

Notices

Old 2023-12-19, 21:54   Link #3301
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

No Goro, no dice. This ended at Ressurection for me.
Old 2023-12-20, 03:30   Link #3302
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
No Goro, no dice. This ended at Ressurection for me.
To me it ended at R2.

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
blitz1/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-12-20, 05:36   Link #3303
GundamFan0083

Quote:
Originally Posted by saya_leviathan View Post
Apparently, Code Geass: Z of the Recapture is renamed Code Geass: Rozé of the Recaptured. And it's four movies.

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Interesting.
But after Resurrection what is the point?
I imagine this might be a side story, and that could be fun.
I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
Old 2023-12-20, 07:38   Link #3304
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz1/2 View Post
To me it ended at R2.
In a lot of ways, yes. But a lot of people got closure from Resurrection. Akito the Exiled had a lot of buzz, so that kind of leaves it on a weird note. While that is technically already within the timeline, it then becomes the last thing you see. Resurrection very much feels 'If you want to be done, peace. If not, cash please.' Given what happened with that mobile game cloning everyone, I find it hard to take the future prospects seriously.
Old 2023-12-20, 08:37   Link #3305
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Yeah...nope.
Re;surrection (which, IMHO, was unneeded aside from settling the "Lelouch survived" debate once and for) provided enough closure and had the decency of ending things there before it could charge like a bull into the realm of metaphysical/magical KMF battles (e.g. Machine gun spamming Blaze Luminous wings).
Akito had its flaws (like the whole Euro Britannia concept, for starters), but the animation quality was excellent and it provided some minor insight into what happened during the interstitial time period between CG and R2. The whole teleporting KMF, Caretaker of Spacetime and "brain raid can create Einstein-Rosen Bridges because of the way the universe exists through cross-observation by different minds" twists were iffy, though. The KMFs introduced in Akito were also already powercreeping the ones from the very beginning of R2, which I didn't like much.
Not certain what this new anime would bring; hopefully it isn't something that would make R2, Zero Requiem and Re;surrection look like they were all for nothing in the end and the world is doomed to wallow in eternal conflict fueled by supremacism and whatnot. It's also possible RotR does take place before ZR, but those new KMFs seem more modern to me than those seen in Re;surrection. Last but not least, I'm not very fond of the more colorful character designs and the MC's genki attitude.

*Presses the skip button*

Last edited by Renegade334; 2023-12-20 at 09:22.
Renegade334 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-12-20, 09:37   Link #3306
Kusaja

Given that the trailer is so short, I think the best course of action is to wait.

I'll still say one thing...it's good to see Knightmare Frames on the ground once again.

Personally speaking, I am also glad that the center of the staff's attention is trying to move on past Lelouch by now. Resurrection was already "one last adventure" for those who missed him as the protagonist and it also brought an end to all of the speculation about his fate. He's still around, technically, but more immortal than man. In a way, it's like what happened to various Greek heroes, who became gods after the end of their mortal life. Unsurprisingly, their stories tend to stop there, even if they're still technically somewhere in Mt. Olympus.

Which means there's more space to tell other stories. I liked Akito a fair amount, but I recognize that it had three main issues: awkward pacing during the second half of the OVA series, narrative restrictions caused by happening between the two already existing seasons, and the introduction of far too much under or unexplained new lore towards the end.

One way or another, I hope this Recapture project will go for a different approach. Comparatively speaking, the world after Resurrection was left wide-open. Going by the technology, I think a fair amount of time has already passed since then.
Kusaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-12-21, 14:52   Link #3307
Trogdor Jube
Back at it again

Ehhhh, it's hard to be jazzed about this for a lotta reasons.

1. No Taniguchi or Okouchi

2. A series of movies rather than a TV series. For better or for worse, Geass was its most exciting when a whole season of it. Not saying movies can't be exciting but it's such a rigid format that I feel it has its limitations

3. I never understood why this series didn't simply move on in terms of the timeline. Prequels, alternate interpretations and interquels just make what should be an interesting world feel incredibly small. It also limits any new writers that they bring to the table cause they're gonna eventually have to reference an old character or event that they had nothing to do with.

I was never under any illusion that Geass was ever gonna be a Gundam level franchise for Bandai and I'm ultimately thankful that the original show is such a gem but I can't help but feel like they really fumbled this franchise over the years.
Old 2023-12-24, 01:38   Link #3308
darthfury78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
In a lot of ways, yes. But a lot of people got closure from Resurrection. Akito the Exiled had a lot of buzz, so that kind of leaves it on a weird note. While that is technically already within the timeline, it then becomes the last thing you see. Resurrection very much feels 'If you want to be done, peace. If not, cash please.' Given what happened with that mobile game cloning everyone, I find it hard to take the future prospects seriously.
For me, Code Geass ended with R2. However, if Code Geass: Oz the Reflection is made into a anime, I'll definately watch.
darthfury78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-12-24, 16:41   Link #3309
Kusaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor Jube View Post
Ehhhh, it's hard to be jazzed about this for a lotta reasons.

1. No Taniguchi or Okouchi
As a big fan of Taniguchi (I really enjoyed Film Red, even as someone who is barely a casual fan of One Piece)...I can understand where you're coming from. At the same time, both him and Okouchi have moved on to other projects.

I don't blame them for not wanting to be type-cast, so to speak, as only working on Code Geass.

Quote:
2. A series of movies rather than a TV series. For better or for worse, Geass was its most exciting when a whole season of it. Not saying movies can't be exciting but it's such a rigid format that I feel it has its limitations
That's a good point. In practice, these new movies need to come out at least twice a year. This would come closer to bringing a similar sense of expectation and anticipation, at least for the Japanese audience.

I remember how each Akito movie typically took about a year or more between entries, which didn't help much in that respect. That's too long to maintain hype and interest high.

Quote:
3. I never understood why this series didn't simply move on in terms of the timeline. Prequels, alternate interpretations and interquels just make what should be an interesting world feel incredibly small. It also limits any new writers that they bring to the table cause they're gonna eventually have to reference an old character or event that they had nothing to do with
Well, I would argue that's part of what they're attempting to do with Roze of the Recapture. Based on what I've heard and surmised, this might well involve a significant timeskip after the Resurrection movie's conclusion. Familiar characters will be either much older or dead by then. Unlike Akito the Exiled, which was more or less trapped inside a very narrow slice of time and space, where they couldn't really mess with the existing continuity other than purely tangentially and awkwardly.

As far as I can tell, the main challenge throughout all of these years was how to adapt to changed production realities at Sunrise. Particularly since 2D mechanical animation, while not extinct, is no longer as readily available in terms of resources. Another issue was how to find a way to continue the Code Geass property without messing too much with the ending of the TV series.

Which meant creating a route split, so to speak: Timeline 1 ends with R2, period, while Timeline 2 continues on to Resurrection and Roze without invalidating the former.

Quote:

I was never under any illusion that Geass was ever gonna be a Gundam level franchise for Bandai and I'm ultimately thankful that the original show is such a gem but I can't help but feel like they really fumbled this franchise over the years.
I can see why you'd think that. Still, I can see they're finally trying to find a way to resolve the dilemma. If Roze is decently successful, I imagine more new works will keep moving forward in time.
Kusaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-03-22, 23:37   Link #3310
saya_leviathan

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

"Code Geass: Rozé of the Recapture" will be streamed exclusively by Disney+ worldwide beginning late June. It will be divided into 12 episodes.
saya_leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-03-23, 16:51   Link #3311
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Urgh...I don't know where to begin.
I don't know if I'm just getting older, but Rozé's bubbly demeanor is grating on my nerves. I can't even figure out WHEN the bloody series is supposed to take place - there is only one reference (see below) and it doesn't help much.
Also: Neo Britannia has reconquered the planet? And what's with Charis being the 100th Emperor? Wasn't that supposed to be Nunnally? Or did they reset the counter and enough time passed that there was an absolute boatload of Emblems of Blood occurring during this huge interval, with a new Emperor every new week or bimester?

Anyway, translated a few things for y'all, but beware - there are some things that are not 100% certain, especially with spellings.

SUMMARY: https://geass.jp/roze/
Spoiler:

CHARACTERS: https://geass.jp/roze/character/
Spoiler:

Some of these designs almost feel more Zeonic than Britannian...
And...really? Greedo? Star Wars much?

KNIGHTMARE FRAMES: https://geass.jp/roze/knightmareframe/
Spoiler:

The Arthurian convention is completely thrown out of the window and the names are just either nonsensical or just onomatopoeias strung together with vague Norse, medieval European or Asian overtones. Only the Camden stays faithful to the original naming scheme for standard-issue KMFs.

Anyway, still not feeling like watching this one. It's obvious it's set in the even farther future, with possibly no chance of CG/R2/BnA cameos except maybe for...those two, and that's not guaranteed. Feels like a watered-down Code Geass with the execs saying, "let's pour more Akito-style CG combat in this to make it rain yens". Just not feeling what drew me to the original series and enjoined me to watch Akito to the very end.
And, hell, if Neo Britannia is once again conquering the world, the Zero Requiem was, in the end, a resounding failure.

Last edited by Renegade334; 2024-03-24 at 03:34.
Renegade334 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-03-23, 19:43   Link #3312
B214

I believe Nunnally becoming empress has been retcon.
B214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-03-24, 11:10   Link #3313
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by B214 View Post
I believe Nunnally becoming empress has been retcon.
Ah, right. Forgot that in the Re;surrection movie, Britannia was downgraded to a principality helmed by Schneizel and Nunnally's just a figurehead.
7th Year of the Kowa Period means seven years after Lelouch's public death (~2018 ATB), no? That'd be 2025-2026 ATB then. That's a rather short timeframe for everything geopolitical to go to hell in a handbasket, especially since Suzaku and the Black Knights are supposed to keep watch and prevent a return to the old order of things. Schneizel must've also dropped the ball pretty hard, too, for the principality to go ultra-imperialistic again. It makes you wonder whether any of the surviving big players (Gino, Cornelia, Kaguya, Tianzi, Kallen, Suzaku, etc.) from R2 are still alive, too...

Tags
drama, mecha