AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2018-06-15, 05:05   Link #3601
marvelB

Well well, looks like Endeavor and Hawks make a pretty good team, after all. At least, Hawks' quirk is really useful as a supportive ability. This Noumu seems to be quite a tough one, though....

And yeah, I appreciate that we're returning focus to Endeavor's past domestic abuse towards his family. Personally, I feel his wife shouldn't forgive him for the trauma he caused her, but at least he seems to be trying to make up for his past mistakes in his own fashion, I guess....
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-15, 07:13   Link #3602
Twi

Nice to see the Todoroki's. And to see his kids still hate him. He royally screwed up.
Old 2018-06-15, 09:13   Link #3603
grecefar

It was a nice thing to do for endeavor, don't expect them to forgive him but at least be civil to each other and see face to face, he change.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-15, 09:22   Link #3604
Sixth
Hu Tao

Nice to see that Endeavor doesn't have the ability to fly like every superhero did. He just has the ability to not falling.
Sixth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-15, 09:34   Link #3605
XFire
150% done

I have a hard time believing he can't produce enough thrust to move upwards when he can clearly move around pretty quick, but I guess it's a fair limitation.
Old 2018-06-15, 09:59   Link #3606
Wandering Soul

It makes sense that an arc focusing on Endeavor would have to give focus to his family. I'm surprised to learn that he actually visited his wife. I feel that while his wife and kids will accept his desire to be a better man, they shouldn't forgive him.
Old 2018-06-15, 10:05   Link #3607
Sixth
Hu Tao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Soul View Post
It makes sense that an arc focusing on Endeavor would have to give focus to his family. I'm surprised to learn that he actually visited his wife. I feel that while his wife and kids will accept his desire to be a better man, they shouldn't forgive him.
Well, Endeavor has a lot to prove himself but they should forgive him when the time comes.
Old 2018-06-15, 10:36   Link #3608
Twi

This conversation came up on another forum, but the deal with Endeavor is that I think the author made what he did too vague at the Tournament arc. While I do agree we don't know all the circumstances of the marriage, we do know enough that he hit her, beat up his son and called it training, and he sent her to a mental hospital after she snapped because of him. This is a horrible thing to be vague about for this reason, because if you don't know how far they went then your mind fills in the blanks.

Someone pointed out a good number of his kids, if not all of them, are about 4 years apart, meaning long enough for them to start manifesting their quirks. So when he didn't get the one he wanted, he had another one, and when he had Shouto, he stopped having kids and started focusing only on him.

For me, that basically states once he got what he wanted he didn't need her anymore. If the author/mangaka had said outright that he had been a loving father until Shoto manifested both their powers or something, it'd just be a case of him seeing the perfect heir and pushing a little too far, rather than my mind coming to the conclusion of him outright using her like that.

More so when you consider that I'm not sure I can trust his mother's words either, since victims do blame themselves more than their abusers in some cases. And the abuser sending flowers and apologizing to victims can lead to a cycle. So while she says that he means well and faces things head-on, we never see them discuss what happened with her on-screen.

Like he never sits down and talks with his children about what he did. Not justifying it, but not admitting fault. Like, if the author had clarified that he had been a loving person by showing me and then show his descent into madness, I could get behind it being a one-time accident.

I really hope those speculations about Dabi turn out to be false, because if we find out his treatment of his children, negligence at minimum, led to one of them becoming a murderer... it really will put a nail in a coffin since him being a better dad meant that Dabi wouldn't be a villain.
Old 2018-06-15, 11:32   Link #3609
XFire
150% done

As long as we're talking Endeavour, it should be noted that there's a large culture gap in how this kind of thing is dealt with between the Japan and the West in general.

It's supposed to be dealt with "in-house" to them, and bringing in the authorities somehow puts the blame on everyone involved. It's similar dissonance to how no one cares that Bakugo told Deku to commit suicide.

So Endeavour trying to make amends here is seen as a broken family trying to deal with its issues rather than an abusive husband evading responsibility.

It's a weird thing to grapple with given how wide the culture gap is for some of this stuff, but it's worth keeping in mind while reading. In the view of the Author and original audience, Endeavour, while certainly an ass, is not nearly so irredeemable as he is to a Western audience, who've been screaming for his blood since Shoto's origin came out.
Old 2018-06-15, 12:07   Link #3610
Twi

Yeah, but the author said he took a lot of inspiration from Western Comics, so there's mixed messages in there.
Old 2018-06-15, 12:36   Link #3611
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I was glad we got to find out what Todoroki's siblings think of their father. This is obviously Endeavor's redemption arc, so he'll probably be forgiven in the end, but it's good to know it won't happen easily.
Old 2018-06-15, 13:21   Link #3612
XFire
150% done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi View Post
Yeah, but the author said he took a lot of inspiration from Western Comics, so there's mixed messages in there.
Inspiration, sure, but it unlikely that affected his core values as a Japanese person.
Old 2018-06-15, 15:25   Link #3613
HtwoN

I don't expect the Todoroki family to be lovey-dovey after this arc. But they should have a serious conversation and make amend. Forgiving Endeavor is a way for Rei to forgive herself and get better. I hope they can be a family again.
HtwoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-16, 20:25   Link #3614
Skaddix

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFire View Post
As long as we're talking Endeavour, it should be noted that there's a large culture gap in how this kind of thing is dealt with between the Japan and the West in general.

It's supposed to be dealt with "in-house" to them, and bringing in the authorities somehow puts the blame on everyone involved. It's similar dissonance to how no one cares that Bakugo told Deku to commit suicide.

So Endeavour trying to make amends here is seen as a broken family trying to deal with its issues rather than an abusive husband evading responsibility.

It's a weird thing to grapple with given how wide the culture gap is for some of this stuff, but it's worth keeping in mind while reading. In the view of the Author and original audience, Endeavour, while certainly an ass, is not nearly so irredeemable as he is to a Western audience, who've been screaming for his blood since Shoto's origin came out.
Eh I wouldn't say the West is Enlightened that there this massive gap...there are plenty of Americans who think this stuff should be kept in the home. We got plenty of American Celebs who bounced back no problem from abusing spouses and girlfriends and plenty have no trouble physically discipling their kids.

I think Dabi is the Eldest Brother though. I mean the evidence is piled pretty high.
Skaddix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-17, 12:59   Link #3615
XFire
150% done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaddix View Post
Eh I wouldn't say the West is Enlightened that there this massive gap...there are plenty of Americans who think this stuff should be kept in the home. We got plenty of American Celebs who bounced back no problem from abusing spouses and girlfriends and plenty have no trouble physically discipling their kids.

I think Dabi is the Eldest Brother though. I mean the evidence is piled pretty high.
Who said we were the ones in the right?

Differences mean just that. They do things differently. Which one is correct is a much more contentious topic. And last I checked Japan outranked us on the list of best places to live.
Old 2018-06-22, 06:26   Link #3616
Sixth
Hu Tao

RIP Endeavor.
Old 2018-06-22, 06:28   Link #3617
marvelB

Huh, kinda surprised there's no talk of the new chapter yet....

Well, long story short, Endeavor's in trouble That Noumu turned out to be a lot more powerful than he expected. Will his first battle as #1 be his last.....!?
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-22, 07:05   Link #3618
Diluc
Darkhero of Monstadt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixth View Post
RIP Endeavor.
He is not die yet he only suffers of losing one eye and some deep cut he can stand up next chapter and ignore the wounds whiile crushed Noumu with some smirk, of course that scenario only apply to truly badass guy which top hero like him should do. Something like Knuckle duster and AM would do.
What a shame to defeated like that hmf.
Diluc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-22, 07:14   Link #3619
Twi

Well, confirmation he had all those children and did all of that to get a heir doesn't help his case, but...

He didn't deserve to go out like that.
Old 2018-06-22, 07:18   Link #3620
Sixth
Hu Tao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberstein View Post
He is not die yet he only suffers of losing one eye and some deep cut he can stand up next chapter and ignore the wounds whiile crushed Noumu with some smirk, of course that scenario only apply to truly badass guy which top hero like him should do. Something like Knuckle duster and AM would do.
What a shame to defeated like that hmf.
and it is his first debut as No.1 hero.

Tags
action, coming of age, great supporting cast, shounen, superhero, unique art/plot