Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-08-20, 10:54   Link #1
zzryder

Question Elfen lied like anime

Hello,

I think Elfen lied is the best anime I have ever seen.
Do you fellow members know of any other anime in that genre
IŽve seen berserk, texhnolyze, (not really the same but kinda)
Old 2008-08-20, 12:42   Link #2
Rawgers
Nyaa~

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni is the only one I can think of at the moment.
Old 2008-08-20, 12:44   Link #3
AceD
See You En' Tee

ive never found an anime like elfen lied as yet...id say its unique

what makes it good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawgers View Post
whats this one about exactly? the description on animenews is abit vague really
Old 2008-08-20, 13:18   Link #4
Rawgers
Nyaa~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voracious Hollow View Post
whats this one about exactly? the description on animenews is abit vague really
Spoiler for AniDB Description:

It's a horror mystery kind of anime about mysterious killings occuring in this small village. This anime will probably confuse you, but throughout the series and into the second series you'll start to understand it better. (Plus it has killer lolis!)
Old 2008-08-20, 13:37   Link #5
AceD
See You En' Tee

Quote:
Spoiler for AniDB Description:

It's a horror mystery kind of anime about mysterious killings occuring in this small village. This anime will probably confuse you, but throughout the series and into the second series you'll start to understand it better. (Plus it has killer lolis!)
i best check it out if it has killer lolis
Old 2008-08-20, 13:43   Link #6
Hayaku
Ecchi go Boom 0(^.^)0

I have only seen 3 episodes of Blood+ but there are some similarities between these two;

Spoiler for similar:

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Old 2008-08-20, 14:04   Link #7
jedinat

I've only seen the first episode, but you might look at Mnemosyne. The female protagonist is immortal, so of course nasty things can be done to her with little consequence. She was tortured to death in a very nasty way in the first episode... I'm making the assumption that it is the viscerally violent nature of Elfen Lied you are seeking.
Old 2008-08-20, 14:32   Link #8
zzryder

Looks interesting, IŽll check that on out

Quote:
Old 2008-08-20, 14:35   Link #9
zzryder

I have those six episodes, but I havenŽt seen any of them yet, but the story seem promising
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
I've only seen the first episode, but you might look at Mnemosyne. The female protagonist is immortal, so of course nasty things can be done to her with little consequence. She was tortured to death in a very nasty way in the first episode... I'm making the assumption that it is the viscerally violent nature of Elfen Lied you are seeking.
Old 2008-08-20, 17:24   Link #10
khryoleoz
Power of 9 SoShi-ist

Well, we're all entitled to have opinions even if those opinions are unqualified.

There's really nothing like Elfen Lied out there. Thank goodness.

Red Garden has a similar dark setting with monsters, but the drama (or melodrama) is far more intense and poignant. The girls find out early on that they were actually killed and they're living on borrowed time. A lot of the series show how they each deal with it. And the plight of these girls are portrayed in a much more sympathetic light, as opposed to thrusting upon the viewer some vicious psycopath to whom we owe sympathy by restraining her through the convenience of amnesia that turns her into a cuddly personality who gives free watersport shows. Kinda like what happens to Priscilla (for all ya Claymore fans). Be forewarned though...there's a very awkward musical in one of the early episodes, and it ain't broadway quality.

When They Cry and Narutaru are pretty disturbing.

Best yet is Monster. There is no supernatural creature here, just the making of a brilliant human monster who doesn't play for sympathy and which twist is just incredible.
Old 2008-08-21, 05:52   Link #11
zzryder

I have seen Red garden and Monster and I liked them both,
Too bad there aint any other like Elfen lied though

Quote:
Originally Posted by khryoleoz View Post
Well, we're all entitled to have opinions even if those opinions are unqualified.

Red Garden has a similar dark setting with monsters, but the drama (or melodrama) is far more intense and poignant. The girls find out early on that they were actually killed and they're living on borrowed time. A lot of the series show how they each deal with it. And the plight of these girls are portrayed in a much more sympathetic light, as opposed to thrusting upon the viewer some vicious psycopath to whom we owe sympathy by restraining her through the convenience of amnesia that turns her into a cuddly personality who gives free watersport shows. Kinda like what happens to Priscilla (for all ya Claymore fans). Be forewarned though...there's a very awkward musical in one of the early episodes, and it ain't broadway quality.

When They Cry and Narutaru are pretty disturbing.

Best yet is Monster. There is no supernatural creature here, just the making of a brilliant human monster who doesn't play for sympathy and which twist is just incredible.
Old 2008-08-21, 18:28   Link #12
Echoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by khryoleoz View Post
I love Elfen Lied, but that still made me laugh. A lot.

You probably won't find anything like it, and most of the stuff that's even remotely similar has already been brought up in this thread.

However, you might want to give Speed Grapher a go. It's pretty disturbing and downright nasty at times. It can definitely be over the top at times, though.
It's similar to Elfen Lied in that it shows moral degenerates with no conscience and huge egos doing whatever the hell they want.