AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2013-11-23, 20:35   Link #1
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Crunchyroll on an HDTV via PC?

So I was thinking about trying Crunchyroll streaming on my HDTV but via my PC. Have any of you done this? I will need an HDMI cable that is long enough, for starters. I will also need a wireless mouse so that I can navigate the site away from my desktop. I will want to use headphones, so I'll need to get a wireless pair of headphones. Anyone have a suggestion on those? Something affordable but of solid quality?

Also, I forget, how do you get your computer displayed material up on an HDTV? You go into display settings, right?
Old 2013-11-24, 00:51   Link #2
Kaken

I sometimes hook my laptop up to my TV for watching anime with an HDMI. I'm pretty sure once you connect your HDMI cable and then go to the HDMI slot, the screen will automatically be displayed. Also, rather than using your PC, you should buy Apple Tv or Roku, you can download the Crunchyroll app directly from the device and stream anime on your TV. Both Roku and Apple Tv use HDMI.
Old 2013-11-24, 08:29   Link #3
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I've been streaming Crunchyroll and other video files to my TV for a few years now. At the moment I'm using an ASUS Eeepc 1201n which has embedded NVIDIA Ion graphics. For most streams, and for 8-bit fansubs, this is a fine solution as the Ion provides hardware decoding of H.264. There's no support for 10-bit color in the Ion chip, and the dual-core Atom CPU isn't quite up to the task.

The computer is connected over wifi. Even 802.11g at 54 mbit is sufficient to handle most streams, though I recently bought myself a new N router to improve transfer rates overall.

This machine is running Lubuntu, the Ubuntu core with the LXDE desktop environment. When I connect the computer via HDMI, both screens are active. I then turn off the netbook's screen with Lubuntu's native Display applet. Usually I prefer Kubuntu with the KDE desktop, but it's too demanding for the little netbook.

I have also experimented with using a Raspberry Pi running the Raspbian Debian derivative as a video display device. I didn't think the quality of the HD video signal on the Pi compares well to the netbook's NVIDIA chip, though the Pi also has hardware-accelerated graphics and an HDMI port. However I am thinking about replacing an aging Dell server in my office with the Pi. I had no problem streaming video via wifi off an external hard drive connected to the little device.

I don't see much reason to buy a dedicated device like a Roku player if you have a spare computer with a decent graphics adapter available. Also, if you have a PS/3 you can stream Crunchyroll directly using that, though it won't play Matroska files. You can run the ps3mediaserver application on a PC which does on-the-fly stream conversion and uses DLNA to send the stream to the PS/3. You can also convert the files to MP4 with something like Handbrake, but that's too much work.

Crunchy also has an XBox app, as well as ones for phones and tablets.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-24, 15:58   Link #4
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Once you have the HDMI cable hooked up, you can enable HDMI output via the screen resolution menu (right click on the desktop or bring up the start menu and type "adjust screen resolution").

Newer versions of Windows also have a menu for quickly toggling displays on and off, which is accessible via WinKey+P. The labels on the options assume you're using a laptop with a projector but I it will probably allow you to quickly swap between a monitor and HDTV as well.

Depending on your TV and graphics card you may need to manually tune some colour settings. You'll also most likely want to disable overscan on your HDTV on the input your PC is hooked up to. The option to do this is sometimes labelled something like 1:1 or just scan.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-25, 16:17   Link #5
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Thanks everyone. Doing CR on my TV via my PC isn't half bad, it would just be problematic for using headphones and controlling the cursor. I'd need wireless headphones (decent pair is at least $45, about $60 or $70 for better pairs) and I'd have to use a wireless keyboard and wireless mouse away from a desktop. And I would have to buy both a wireless keyboard and wireless mouse. I could make it all work, but it has absolutely no finesse.

I'm looking into how well the Crunchyroll experience is on Playstation 4. I'm seeking answers regarding it. Crunchyroll made a CR app available for PS4 at launch day. I'm trying to find out if it supports up to 1080p, and also trying to find out if the experience on it is smoother and better than what is found on the Playstation 3 (CR on Playstation 3 is definitely not as good as CR on PC). I'm also trying to find out if you can use headphones (via the headphone jack on the PS4 controller) on content streaming from CR. Depending on how things are with CR on PS4, it may lead me to get a PS4 sometime soon rather than waiting about a year (or more) to get one. If the CR experience is good on PS4, I may get a PS4 soon. Even though I don't want any games on it until spring 2014 arrives, the combination of a blu-ray player and a good CR player in one machine is very appealing. And in 2014 there are a handful of games (revealed thus far) that I'd like to get for the system, so I wouldn't wait too long for games I want to hit the system.
Old 2013-11-26, 09:15   Link #6
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Logitech. makes wireless keyboard and mouse.combos for as little as $30-40. I use one to control the PC attached to my TV.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-26, 19:53   Link #7
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Well, after looking into things (CR on TV via PC, Playstation 4), I think I've decided on how I want CR on this TV. I think I'll buy an Apple TV.

For starters, the Playstation 4 CR app only goes up to 720p. CR people will probably make it 1080p eventually, but they don't have too many technicians to work on these CR apps, so it takes time for them to make them. I am getting a 1080p TV soon, so I want CR in 1080p. Also, you can't hear CR content on headphones which are plugged into the headphone jack of the PS4 controller. I have a peripheral that allows you to use headphones on an HDTV, it is just that it is a little box with a couple of wires and so it is a bit more clutter and wires in a place that already has clutter and wires. Using headphones via a PS4 controller would have been a plus, but this peripheral I have works perfectly well and the clutter it adds isn't bad.

The CR experience you get varies on different devices. It is great on PC. I tried it on PS3 and didn't like it. Clunky, stuttering, not a smooth experience. The Playstation 4 is supposed to be one of the best CR experiences. I also found out that the Apple TV is one of the best CR experiences you can get, and it supports up to 1080p.

So I will get an Apple TV for CR on my TV.