AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-10-03, 22:37   Link #901
flying ^

Chris Mathews: "Tonight just wasn't an MSNBC debate, was it?"

... he even criticized 0bama for going out there like a sourpuss with his head down.....OK, I added sourpuss.

Chris is pissed... no tingle tonight!

Old 2012-10-03, 22:45   Link #902
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying ^ View Post
Chris Mathews: "Tonight just wasn't an MSNBC debate, was it?"

... he even criticized 0bama for going out there like a sourpuss with his head down.....OK, I added sourpuss.

Chris is pissed... no tingle tonight!

I saw that earlier on the corvetteforum. Good entertainment for sure.
Old 2012-10-03, 22:52   Link #903
flying ^

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
I saw that earlier on the corvetteforum. Good entertainment for sure.

i have a plasma TV and 2 ipads, and they're tuned to the following:

plasma - CNN
CNN post debate coverage is... just that... CNN quality

ipad 1 - FOX NEWS
more professional grade coverage (for a supposed 'partisan' channel) under Van Sustren... will veer to niche audience when Hannity appears.

ipad 3 - MSNBC
... wow
Old 2012-10-03, 23:07   Link #904
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

FOX sure as hell isn't bipartisan
Old 2012-10-03, 23:13   Link #905
Netto Azure
→ Wandering Bard

This is the best part of the debate.

Romney: "I like Big Bird, But I'm still defunding PBS Jim."

PokeCommuninity | Bulbagarden | Tumblr | MAL
Old 2012-10-03, 23:16   Link #906
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. DJ View Post
FOX sure as hell isn't bipartisan
Greta Van Susteren is one of their somewhat more independent journalists and I'll actually credit her with the title "journalist" instead of "stupid moron"
Old 2012-10-03, 23:16   Link #907
justinstrife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netto Azure View Post

Federal Funding is a small part of where they get their money. He only wants to cut the Federal part of it. They can survive without the Government.
Old 2012-10-03, 23:20   Link #908
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:

That one is hilarious!
Old 2012-10-03, 23:22   Link #909
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

The White House turkey dinner legs will be huge next year? Or will Big Bird be the one that gets the Presidential pardon.
Old 2012-10-03, 23:27   Link #910
Netto Azure
→ Wandering Bard

Quote:
Federal Funding is a small part of where they get their money. He only wants to cut the Federal part of it. They can survive without the Government.
Oh I know that. But the Federal funds go to local stations. (Ranges around 30% of funding I believe for these stations) Which is a lot more important to many rural areas. Private donations usually go to production.

Old 2012-10-03, 23:29   Link #911
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
That is correct, the actual anti-argument is how many millions of "Big Bird" instances one would have to find to balance the budget without putting defense under scrutiny or the medicare/medicaid budgets.

The sad bit of nonsense with Romney's "Obama cut $700B from Medicare" is that Obama *saved* $700B by eliminating wasted monies that weren't going to patient care anyway. Translation: for-profits will profit less.

That's exactly the same kind of savings Romney would have to do.

To some extent, the federal support of public broadcasting is similar to the "Rural Electrification Act" that brought electricity to farms ... or the deals the telecoms had to cut to extend wireless to rural locales. My state would get by, but many other states would simply lose it.
Old 2012-10-03, 23:32   Link #912
Netto Azure
→ Wandering Bard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Not surprisingly it's the same "Savings" that's been proposed by the Romney camp. Other than turning Medicare into a "premium support" program AKA Romney/Obamacare for seniors.

Old 2012-10-03, 23:35   Link #913
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Translation: for-profits will profit less.

''Would have to do. '': Yes but it's the kind of thing so opposite to him, so conter-intuitive than I doubt than he could do it even if he wanted.
Old 2012-10-03, 23:47   Link #914
justinstrife

Quote:
That is correct, the actual anti-argument is how many millions of "Big Bird" instances one would have to find to balance the budget without putting defense under scrutiny or the medicare/medicaid budgets.

The sad bit of nonsense with Romney's "Obama cut $700B from Medicare" is that Obama *saved* $700B by eliminating wasted monies that weren't going to patient care anyway. Translation: for-profits will profit less.

To some extent, the federal support of public broadcasting is similar to the "Rural Electrification Act" that brought electricity to farms ... or the deals the telecoms had to cut to extend wireless to rural locales. My state would get by, but many other states would simply lose it.
With 1.1+ trillion dollar deficits, practically everything needs to be on the table to be cut. Everything.
Old 2012-10-03, 23:50   Link #915
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Rumor has it that even if they cut everything aside from obligation funds (money the government it obligated to pay every year) the deficit still grows by some millions of dollars because the income base isn't even up to the government's obligations. That is the rumor.
Old 2012-10-03, 23:51   Link #916
Netto Azure
→ Wandering Bard

Quote:
With 1.1+ trillion dollar deficits, practically everything needs to be on the table to be cut. Everything.
With no revenue increases? Then again continuing this line of thought will just get us into the topic of of Austerity or counter-cyclical fiscal policy and the merits doing tax-cuts and increased government spending during bad economic times.

Which becomes circular argument altogether. u_u

Personally IMO unless we switch into a healthcare funding system akin to other western democracies, our deficits and debt cannot be handled at all in the long term without getting rid of social programs that much of the American public supports. (Like California's Democratic heart and Republican wallet paradox)

Old 2012-10-03, 23:59   Link #917
justinstrife

Quote:
With no revenue increases? Then again continuing this line of thought will just get us into the topic of of Austerity or counter-cyclical fiscal policy and the merits doing tax-cuts and increased government spending during bad economic times.

Which becomes circular argument altogether. u_u

Personally IMO unless we switch into a healthcare funding system akin to other western democracies, our deficits and debt cannot be handled at all in the long term without getting rid of social programs that much of the American public supports. (Like California's Democratic heart and Republican wallet paradox)
The government is too big, too corrupt, and too inefficient. Regardless of how any of us believes the Government can bring in more cash, it won't use that extra revenue to pay anything down. It will instead, use it to either increase the size of programs, or create new ones. Regardless of what Party is in power, all they know how to do, is spend. Everything needs to be cut or reformed. Military, Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security, you name it.
Old 2012-10-04, 00:10   Link #918
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
The government is too big, too corrupt, and too inefficient. Regardless of how any of us believes the Government can bring in more cash, it won't use that extra revenue to pay anything down. It will instead, use it to either increase the size of programs, or create new ones. Regardless of what Party is in power, all they know how to do, is spend. Everything needs to be cut or reformed. Military, Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security, you name it.
I am afraid I have to agree with Justin on this; however there are elements which I disagree, which includes the element of cutting Medicare and Mediaid.

A sick nation can't produce anything, neither can a poorly paid individual take care of himself to produce something; there has to be a workaround, which unfortunately both parties are too busy antagonising each other to come up with something like that.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2012-10-04, 00:18   Link #919
Netto Azure
→ Wandering Bard

Quote:
I think that's an ideological debate that is somewhat self-perpetrating or fulfilling. If you elect officials that believe government "is too big, too corrupt, and too inefficient" then that would be what you will get.

On the other hand I'm willing to do some austerity, but not in the middle of a recession or economically weak time. Much evidence (AKA Britain and the EuroZone) have shown how abrupt austerity leads to double-dip recessions.

Old 2012-10-04, 00:21   Link #920
james0246

^
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
I am afraid I have to agree with Justin on this; however there are elements which I disagree, which includes the element of cutting Medicare and Mediaid.

A sick nation can't produce anything, neither can a poorly paid individual take care of himself to produce something; there has to be a workaround, which unfortunately both parties are too busy antagonising each other to come up with something like that.
Why are you afraid? . Justin is correct that a complete overhaul needs to take place. Sadly, workarounnds are all that are possible anymore, so a candidate that creates the most efficient workarounds must be chosen, and that (of the two candidates) is Obama.
Closed Thread