AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-04-06, 20:57   Link #101
shmaster
オンドリャァァァ!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger02 View Post
Anyway, I found the pacing in the first half to be a bit odd. Perhaps I wanted more back story on Gareki. Nai is a mystery in the manga, but his story is reveled as time passes by. I actually don't remember about Gareki.
I actually like how they skip forward. After all, a good portion of the early plot isn't that important, on the other hand, getting Yogi, who is part of the main character trio, to appear quickly is top priority.

I am already excited that he is already appearing next episode.

Of the relationship of the main trio, I find it to be more of familial love.
Yogi feel like a unreliable and weak willed big brother that is really good at taking care of the two youngsters. Gareki is the more independent one who has an attitude but is growing up. Nai is like a wishful little brother who and is as dependent on their relationship as Yogi.
shmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-06, 23:34   Link #102
ginger02

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmaster View Post
I actually like how they skip forward. After all, a good portion of the early plot isn't that important, on the other hand, getting Yogi, who is part of the main character trio, to appear quickly is top priority.

I am already excited that he is already appearing next episode.

Of the relationship of the main trio, I find it to be more of familial love.
Yogi feel like a unreliable and weak willed big brother that is really good at taking care of the two youngsters. Gareki is the more independent one who has an attitude but is growing up. Nai is like a wishful little brother who and is as dependent on their relationship as Yogi.
I am happy he is appearing so early. I was worried we'd go maybe 1/5 to 1/4 of the show and not see him.

And I think a trio of brothers is the best way to describe them too. Lol such an odd bunch.
ginger02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-07, 02:03   Link #103
Haiprbim
Banned

I cannot find Karneval anywhere!
Is there a different name that I should be searching with?
Haiprbim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-07, 02:07   Link #104
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by backbone View Post
No BL-hint i suppose, it's just your usual bromance that you can find in many shounen manga. Although it seems like the bishonen look on the protags rubs some people the wrong way
In other words, the low largely forgotten term shounen-ai seems to fit perfectly.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-07, 02:08   Link #105
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haiprbim View Post
I cannot find Karneval anywhere!
Is there a different name that I should be searching with?
I think the title is simply Karneval. IMO It's pretty easy to find in anime streaming & download sites. Just look more closely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
In other words, the low largely forgotten term shounen-ai seems to fit perfectly.
My bad (since the question is from me), I thought Yaoi, Shounen-ai and BL are the same thing . Maybe BL is stronger in sexual department? Tbh, this kind of genre is not my favorite so I don't know the differences XP.
Old 2013-04-07, 02:09   Link #106
Haiprbim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
I think the title is simply Karneval. IMO It's pretty easy to find in anime streaming & download sites.
Meh, I searched that in a Download site but did not find a thing.
Old 2013-04-07, 02:39   Link #107
ginger02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haiprbim View Post
Meh, I searched that in a Download site but did not find a thing.
Not a download side, but gooddrama should have it, alone with animefreak tv.

Quote:
Lol yeah I guess that fits the best, but even that may be a slight stretch. Certainly not yaoi or anything. I feel like BL encompasses both terms.

Speaking of that, I really like Nai and Gareki's relationship. They tend to juxtapose each other nicely, with Nai's innocence and naïveté acting as a foil to Gareki's more hardened view and methods.
ginger02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-07, 02:40   Link #108
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Shounen-ai's more like Hakkenden. This one is too mild for that term
Old 2013-04-07, 02:43   Link #109
shmaster
オンドリャァァァ!!!

Quote:
My bad (since the question is from me), I thought Yaoi, Shounen-ai and BL are the same thing . Maybe BL is stronger in sexual department? Tbh, this kind of genre is not my favorite so I don't know the differences XP.
BL encomass both yaoi and shounen-ai.
Yaoi is the more sexual term, while shounen-ai is the mild term.
But both terms indicates the romantic love between boys.

Though, this show is even milder than that. The relationship between the main trio is truly brotherly and familial.
shmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-07, 04:59   Link #110
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Well, when the name of 07 Ghost came up as a model, shounen-ai was certainly what came to mind...
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-07, 05:28   Link #111
Kirarakim

I never saw Ghost-07 so I can't compare but I didn't even see mild BL hints from the manga-ka. However I think the relationships are written in a way to appeal to female fans.

Also lets not ignore the fact that it is not a trio but a quartet and the 4th character is a girl.
Old 2013-04-07, 10:28   Link #112
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi

Quote:

In yaoi animes, you get to see romance in action (do you get my drift, lol), while shounen-ai does not involve sex. I personally prefer shounen-ai more than yaoi cause the plot in yaoi animes are usually less than satisfactory, since the concern is on the, you know, sex. If you want to get a taste of yaoi animes, you can pm me and I will tell you of a certain place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmaster View Post
BL encomass both yaoi and shounen-ai.
Yaoi is the more sexual term, while shounen-ai is the mild term.
But both terms indicates the romantic love between boys.

Though, this show is even milder than that. The relationship between the main trio is truly brotherly and familial.
I can't agree more. As a female, I certainly like to convince myself that romantic interest is involved, but in Karneval, I just couldn't get the feeling no matter how hard I try.

Quote:
Well, when the name of 07 Ghost came up as a model, shounen-ai was certainly what came to mind...
I know it's hard to believe that it's not shounen-ai given the character designs and the overpopulated male characters, but shounen-ai is not present in 07-Ghost. It's easy, is it not, for you guys out there to perceive that if an anime/manga has plenty of bishounens and strong bonds between characters, then the anime/manga falls under yaoi/shounen-ai genre. I understand, but I would like to emphasize that it's not always the case.I think this misconception partly stems from yaoi/shounen-ai fandoms.

Last edited by MUAHAHAHAHAHA; 2013-04-07 at 11:03.
MUAHAHAHAHAHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-07, 10:47   Link #113
Kirarakim

Quote:
I think this misconception partly stems from yaoi/shounen-ai fandoms.
Exactly, honestly just because the fandom is heavily yaoi/shounen-ai does not mean that is what the manga-ka was hinting at.

I think any m/m relationship (even if they don't like each other in the story but have some type of interaction) whatever it actually is, is going to create a fujoshi fandom. That's almost a given. And it doesn't even have to be aimed at female fandom.

But at this point because of how these fandoms have come to be I think even some guys start imagining it is there when it's really not.
Old 2013-04-07, 10:58   Link #114
Kakkou
Tch.

Shounen-ai =/= strong suggestive bromance. So unless actual romance is involved the likes of 07-Ghost & Karneval do not count. Hakkenden doesn't count either despite Genpachi's character, since it's being played as more of a running gag than anything serious. They're are all just big cockteases.
Kakkou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-07, 11:33   Link #115
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUAHAHAHAHAHA View Post
If you want to get a taste of yaoi animes, you can pm me and I will tell you of a certain place.
Thank you very much, but no thanx. If I haven’t “tasted” any yaoi anime so far, that’s for a reason (you should know what it is. Me being a straight guy and all ).

Quote:
It's easy, is it not, for you guys out there to perceive that if an anime/manga has plenty of bishounens and strong bonds between characters, then the anime/manga falls under yaoi/shounen-ai genre. I understand, but I would like to emphasize that it's not always the case.I think this misconception partly stems from yaoi/shounen-ai fandoms.
Oh, some guys do understand it. For example, those who like Saint Seiya franchise like me. There are hordes of bishounens in it (some even very pretty and feminin) but no BL-vibe, save for a certain awkward scene (even though all the fans know that there’s no suggestive meaning in it). So, many guys won’t be easily driven away by a large number of bishounens by default. It’s the BL-vibe that matters. We’re also able to like reverse-harem as long as the characters and the story is well-written and interesting ^^.
Old 2013-04-07, 11:59   Link #116
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi

Quote:
Thank you very much, but no thanx. If I haven’t “tasted” any yaoi anime so far, that’s for a reason (you should know what it is. Me being a straight guy and all ).
My bad, for some reason you gave off the she-vibe, so I thought you were female

Anyway, my advice to those who are curious but not sure if there is any BL vibes, the best thing to do is to watch a couple of episodes first and then decide it for yourself.
MUAHAHAHAHAHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-07, 12:11   Link #117
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
My bad, for some reason you gave off the she-vibe, so I thought you were female
I’m giving a she-vibe? Really?! Wow...that’s the first time anyone ever said that to me. I don't know what to make of it .
Old 2013-04-07, 15:19   Link #118
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Well.....that was about as helpful as Id expected I thought they couldnt make the start to the manga anymore confusing, the anime succeeded XD Im in for the long run though, Ive loved this manga since it came out. And Kamiyan as Gareki is perfect
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-07, 15:25   Link #119
Haiprbim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Manju Bun View Post
I thought they couldnt make the start to the manga anymore confusing, the anime succeeded XD
I have to agree with that fully.
Old 2013-04-07, 15:27   Link #120
Enternal

Wow... been reading the manga for a very very long time and now there's an anime! Yeah!

But yes, it may give off a shounen-ai feel at times but it's definitely not. Just like 07 Ghost and a few others.

On the other hand, somehow I'm still a bit bothered by Tsukumo's golden hair. It should be more of a mix of platinum and gold.
Enternal is offline   Reply With Quote