AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2015-01-07, 06:55   Link #1881
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Digital download save me from one thing, and that's importing. Granted I still buy physical product whenever I can, there are time it's worth buying a digital game over waiting almost a month for the game to arrive.
Old 2015-01-07, 08:24   Link #1882
Chase

For $60 games I usually get the disc. Something about paying that much for a game makes me feel like I have to do it that way. I rarely return games tho. The game really has to upset me or feel like I really got burned for that to happen which is rare cuz im usually on point with the games I choose to buy. Plus im very cautious about going digital on consoles, I don't trust Sony nor Microsoft in terms of the future for my digital purchases in terms of a generation from now. With a disc, I know I can always have access to it. We not getting PC prices on consoles so it doesn't make sense for me do it outside of $20 and under games on PSN/XBL.
Battlefield 4
Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-10, 05:21   Link #1883
SuitUp
¡Gracias Totales!

My real fear is that Sony finds PSNow an inmensly profitable bussines model (the model is stupid even for PS3, but people hace been known to settle for less) and that stops the development of PSX and PS2 emulation (wich has been supposedly worked on since early 2014); frankly that should have been there from the start, this system is powerful enough to fully emulate PS2 (and you can probably emulate PSX on a calculator ) without the issues PS3 had...
Old 2015-01-10, 05:28   Link #1884
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

It's pretty much shown that backward compatibility isn't as big a deal as the online community is making it to be, certainly not to the point of spending the extra cash to squeeze it into the system.

Look at all the youtube comments from people who complains about indies, that might not be far from what the general masses are thinking; Next gen consoles = everything must be AAA graphics.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-10, 14:13   Link #1885
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Yeah, if BC really was a big thing, the original PS3 would've sold like hot cakes. But since the PS3 was such a big departure from PS2 (even bigger than PS4 from PS3?), in order to be BC every first edition PS3 pretty much came with a PS2 in it. And at 600 bucks, practically no one bought it. (some even say if they cut BC from the get go and shaved 100-150 off the price from the get go, maybe the last gen wouldn't be the draw that it was)

So Sony learned their lesson... need to undercut the competition, and as proven last generation, BC isn't going to get them any money. So it had to go pretty much, as the ones who care about BC are the hardcore minority.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-10, 16:49   Link #1886
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuitUp View Post
My real fear is that Sony finds PSNow an inmensly profitable bussines model (the model is stupid even for PS3, but people hace been known to settle for less) and that stops the development of PSX and PS2 emulation (wich has been supposedly worked on since early 2014); frankly that should have been there from the start, this system is powerful enough to fully emulate PS2 (and you can probably emulate PSX on a calculator ) without the issues PS3 had...
The PS2 isn't that simple to emulate actually and I'm pretty sure it would be an interesting issue to solve on the PS4 hardware. I know I had to upgrade my CPU to use the current PS2 PC emulator (I own a PS2 and the games, I just can't be bothered to hack it to run undubs )
Old 2015-01-10, 19:31   Link #1887
Chosen_Hero

At the end of the day BC no matter how much someone wants it is not happening, there are too many factors involved in it's addition to new gen consoles, for example if it were added the consoles themselves would have a higher price than they do now and people would complain about it.

Now let's be real, even if it were added it's not like it would be used that much. it's not like older games themselve would run better on new gen consoles (and we all know how people nowadays are obssesed with 1080p x 60 fps or above resolution), so people would end up complaining about that also. Some games would also start showing their age mechanically, just another reason to complain. How about loading time (god knows people nowadays can't wait a few seconds let alone a minute before getting pissed at a loading screen), the flaws in the games would be more glaring when compared to new gen games, sure there are games that will hold up magnificently, but at some point they will start showing their age.

Then there is the chore of actually acquiring the old games you want to play at a relatively cheap price, a lot of older games (especially the good ones) go for almost double or triple the price of a new release. So unless you are a collector and have being saving your games for a long time (not many people do this because once a new gen releases most of them trade in their current consoles and games in exchange for credit for their new console) you will end up spending more than you need to.

Sadly many people are against hd remasters or remakes (unless it's their favorite game then it's all fine), which gives you the very same games you want to play with a few upgrades and sometimes more content, games that would otherwise be difficult to find at a reasonable price, most seem to seetle between $40 - $60. Sure that's more than they may have used to cost "back in the day", but it's relatively cheaper than the price you would find them nowadays especially if it's a game that is on demand. Sometimes these games come without old bugs or some keep them because those bugs became part of the experience.

At the end of the day it all comes down to just one thing and that is people want the "cheapest solution" for themselves even if it might inconvenience someone else. Pretty much anyone who wants to have BC kept those old games and have a library built, others don't. So why not keep your old consoles and play them on them? Unless your console is broken or doesn't function right for any number of reasons there is no need to sell them, sure maybe you had to sell them because you needed money for something important and selling them was the only way to acquire the amount needed. But still, if you still have the library why not try finding the console itself at a later date instead of waiting for something you know won't be added?

At the end of the day BC would end up being a niche add-on feature that not many people will end up using, especially if a new HD version of a game they like is about to release, they cry, complain and insult the developers for it but at the end of the day they'll just end up caving in. And as much as it may suck to pay for a game for the 3rd or 4th time, at the end of the day you know you will so be glad you have two choices Playstation NOW or HD remasters, we have the ability to choose which one would be more beneficial in the end by as many like to proclaim "voting with our wallets", you have a choice between paying a subscription inline to olay the games as is (and sometimes the upgraded version) or pay for the upgraded version in either physical or digital form and wait until more are re-released are theu the best way to resolve this problem? No, but neither is BC, there are too many variables at work that would end up pissing off someone, somewhere and the trouble will start up once again.

At the end of the day it's all about the money. Like I already said it's a "damned if they do, damned if they don't" scenario no matter what happens, especially in this day and age where everyone complains about every, sinlge, thing.
Old 2015-01-13, 19:36   Link #1888
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosen_Hero View Post
Pretty much anyone who wants to have BC kept those old games and have a library built, others don't. So why not keep your old consoles and play them on them?
I think the biggest concern here is that hardware isn't eternal either. I bought a first ed PS3 (admittedly after the price drop but before they did away the EE chip) because I heard that PS2 disk drives has a tendency to fail. Now I have insurance since I effectively have 2 things that can play PS2 games, but still, I got no backup for my PS3 games (not that they're worth as much as my PS2 games, but that ain't the point XD). So at least for me, it isn't so much as I want BC next gen consoles because I want to play my games on them, but I want a back-up player without buying the same console again.

Of course, me being the realist, I know this is never going to happen, not when hardcore gamers are just a fraction of the sales. ><

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-28, 11:00   Link #1889
Sacredus

Maybe this not games related, but it's very interesting news.
Spotify coming to PS3 and PS4; Music Unlimited shutting down. (NeoGaf topic)
Quote:
We know how important music is to our community of gamers, and this partnership combines the best in music with the best in gaming. PlayStation Network users will enjoy the convenience of linking your accounts to Spotify, making it easy to sign-up with your existing ID and subscribe to Spotify’s Premium service. You can also use Spotify while playing games on PS4, enabling you to soundtrack your gaming sessions with your favorite songs in the background. Want something heavy and rocking for an intense Destiny Raid? How about some old school hip hop while taking the field in Madden NFL? With more than 30 million songs and 1.5 billion playlists, Spotify on PlayStation Music has it covered. As we get closer to launch we look forward to telling you about some of the other great features that will be available exclusively through Spotify on PlayStation Music.
The new service will launch initially on PS4 and PS3, as well as Xperia smartphones and tablets. You’ll of course be able to listen to your favorite playlists – including existing playlists from current Spotify users as well as Spotify curated playlists – and enjoy the service on all of Spotify’s supported devices.
Prior to the launch of Spotify on PlayStation Music, the Music Unlimited service will close in all 19 countries on March 29, 2015. Nearly all of these countries will be among the 41 markets where PlayStation Music featuring Spotify will be available at launch, including the U.S., Canada, Mexico and Brazil. From February 28, 2015, Music Unlimited users with active subscriptions will receive free access to Music Unlimited through March 29, 2015.
Stay tuned to PlayStation.Blog for more details on PlayStation Music featuring Spotify, and in the meantime you can sign up for updates here.
Source: PS Blog

If you don't know what Spotify is: Spotify website and Wikipedia.
Sacredus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-30, 00:57   Link #1890
Chase

PS+ games for Feb:
Transistor(PS4)
Apothron(PS4)
Yakuza 4(PS3)
Thief(PS3)
Rogue Legacy(psvita)
Kick & Fennick(psvita)

Pretty good list
Battlefield 4
Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-18, 04:03   Link #1891
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Dragon Quest Heroes and Final Fantasy Type-0 HD featured in new PS4 TV spot

Quote:
Sony Computer Entertainment Japan has begun airing a new PlayStation 4 TV spot featuring Japanese actor and singer Takayuki Yamada.

In it, we see Yamada talking on his cellphone, turning down work because he doesn’t have enough time on his schedule. ‘I’m signed on to two big projects,’ he says. When the camera pans, we see he just purchased a PlayStation 4, and the projects he’s “signed on” to are actually Dragon Quest Heroes and Final Fantasy Type-0 HD. There’s your schedule
!
Old 2015-02-18, 20:30   Link #1892
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
So.... now Rise of the Tomb Raider is back to being a timed-exclusive instead of a full exclusive for MS? I just read that the other day. They also released some new images today; it looks amazing. I really hope it's not that long of a timed exclusive for X-Box One. I cannot believe Square let this be an exclusive of any type...

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-19, 15:35   Link #1893
Chosen_Hero

Ok, so The Order 1886 seems to be having trouble with reviewers and it's problems seem to be mirrored in different reviews scoring middle to low numbers (I personally don't like reviews assigning a score they do more harm than good in my opinion) and I'm not denying the games bad points reviewers are pointing out since they do seem to be echoed but:

Spoiler for long ass rant:

Bloodborne please oh please hurry up and release just so the self-entitled can shut up and lock themselves away from any human contact because god knows some of the people out there need to be put in cages or something.

P.S. this is in no way to defend the game, many professional opinions are basically the same with the same complaints so there is no denying the games many faults.

Last edited by Chosen_Hero; 2015-02-19 at 15:52.
Chosen_Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-19, 16:06   Link #1894
KleenexGhost
Riding the Ange Express

I haven't really been following The Order. What are the main complaints about it?
Old 2015-02-19, 17:10   Link #1895
Chosen_Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by KleenexGhost View Post
I haven't really been following The Order. What are the main complaints about it?
It the same thing as always, people complaining about the length (because of someone posting a speedrun on easy mode video of the game and breaking the embargo) and people just generally commenting on how bad the game is and everything they always say before they even played the game which hasn't even released yet.

They see reviews on the game and act like they are experts in the game from just reading then without even trying the game out they drop the pre-order and post about doing so in comments sections while trashing the game (which they haven't played) to the point that others read it and they also drop their pre-orders and or get turned off the game eventhough they are interested in the game just to follow the crowd.

Basically same shit different game, different day and people then ask why re-releases are a thing nowadays.
Old 2015-02-20, 01:37   Link #1896
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by KleenexGhost View Post
The main complaint isn't really so much about the length. The main complaint seems to be that the gameplay sections are rather 'uninspiring', linear corridor shooting, occasional stealth sections, QTEs, and apparently even a hacking minigame. None of these in particular seem to be badly done at all, however the gameplay-to-cutscene ratio by all accounts seem to be MGS4 levels.
Old 2015-02-21, 02:12   Link #1897
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
The main complaint isn't really so much about the length. The main complaint seems to be that the gameplay sections are rather 'uninspiring', linear corridor shooting, occasional stealth sections, QTEs, and apparently even a hacking minigame. None of these in particular seem to be badly done at all, however the gameplay-to-cutscene ratio by all accounts seem to be MGS4 levels.
So it is a perfect mainstream game, so why are the people complaining?
From my 26 years of gaming experieince, a technically faulty game can still be a good game overrall and the other way around. But as long as people enjoy the titles, the world is fine.
Some games these days are high budget or ambitious, so publisher and devs are better off appealing to a large audience, rather to a niche section of gamers. But unfortunately these "core" gamers are the most vocal ones and sometimes these people are hired as reviewers, despite knowing jack shit.
But I think I'm going to pass on the Order 1886 for now, because Dragon Quest Heroes looks amazing, and it is on PSN!, no shipping time!
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-21, 03:14   Link #1898
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
So it is a perfect mainstream game, so why are the people complaining?
From my 26 years of gaming experieince, a technically faulty game can still be a good game overrall and the other way around. But as long as people enjoy the titles, the world is fine.
Some games these days are high budget or ambitious, so publisher and devs are better off appealing to a large audience, rather to a niche section of gamers. But unfortunately these "core" gamers are the most vocal ones and sometimes these people are hired as reviewers, despite knowing jack shit.
But I think I'm going to pass on the Order 1886 for now, because Dragon Quest Heroes looks amazing, and it is on PSN!, no shipping time!
It's not really that hard to see why people are disappointed- it's a new ip, a chance a do something different this gen and it turns out to be yet another by the numbers game. Actually it's shocking how much by-the-numbers it is that some people thought it might be parody.

It's everything people were afraid of whenever developers describe their game to be 'cinematic'.

That said it's still not a bad game and is probably worth a playthrough, but not at full price... And not when March is just around the corner.
Old 2015-02-21, 03:33   Link #1899
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

The Order 1886 is averaging 65 on Metacritic so it's really not as bad as the internet to cooking it up to be. Expectations are high considering it's one of the core exclusive games for PS4 and also, console war.
Old 2015-02-23, 10:03   Link #1900
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

No one can deny the fact that the graphics are MARVELOUS. Some people do try, tho...
I'm pretty much enjoying the game, to be honest.

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote