AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Fullmetal Alchemist

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-10-03, 12:10   Link #61
jpwong

Here's just a quick little link to a short summery of Karl Haushofer.
http://www.bookrags.com/biography/karl-haushofer/

What's probably relevent is
Spoiler:
Old 2004-10-03, 13:42   Link #62
ShinRaKurisu

Thank you for clearing up that for me dreamless.

I wonder what the connection is with Envy and Final Fantasy VII

What if we see Leviathan (could be Envy) in Advent Children

Lol

EDIT: typos

Last edited by ShinRaKurisu; 2004-10-03 at 14:02.
Old 2004-10-03, 14:52   Link #63
JOJOS'STAR
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
Err... to make something clear, Ouroboros practically means a snake/dragon/serpent/whatever biting its tail, as Ouroboros is greek for "devouring its tail", and since Envy was not biting its own tail, so we can't call it Ouroboros. Ouroboros is not a type of snake/serpent/dragon/whatever, rather it's the "biting its own tail" part that matters. So if a snake bites its own tail, it can be called Ouroboros, if a dragon bites its own tail, it can be called Ouroboros, if Leviathan from FF7 bites its own tail, it can be called Ouroboros...

So Envy is definitely NOT Ouroboros at that time, I don't know if he'll go on to bite his own tail to form an Ouroboros or not, but I doubt it (since he's straight travelling towards the exit). Besides if I remember correctly, the head and tail of the dragon/serpent/snake/whatever Envy transformed into looks quite like the Leviathan summon of FF7, and now that I think more, I seem to recall that the FF7 Leviathan is green in color too... Anyone can help find a good FF7 Leviathan pic?
The point about Ouroboros is not that he simply bit his tail but actualy swallow it. Makes it a quite complexe symbole of infinity. The Snake eat himself till no end.. thats about it..
Old 2004-10-03, 16:13   Link #64
EnergyRift

It definitely was a way to clean ending.. I mean sure.. we all enjoy them.. but.. it was.. too clean.. Roy.. c'mon.. =/ I was like, OH NO ROY IS DEAD!! But then they bring him back to life after seeing his bloody body.. it was like.. whoopie? >.>; The vagueness with the bad guys leaves for good opportunities.. but.. I kinda wanted to see a Winry Ed thing.. but no.. they are in seperate worlds.. long distant relationships work out, right? It was just.. too happy for me, I expected a little darker, because it was like.. everyone lives in the end.. >.>;

As for the whole Envy thing.. Yes.. Ouroboros is the biting of the tail thing.. but WHY DO YOU HAVE TO GET SO FREAKING SCIENTIFICAL ABOUT IT? Maybe he's just the creature from the mark itself, which was on the freaking homunculus.. So we called him a freaking Ouroboros.. but Oh no.. he's all not biting his tail, no way.. I think getting to literal is a bad thing in this case, I think he's the Snake/Serpent/Dragon of the Ouroboros, which is probably what they meant for him to be, so it wasn't so random. But showing him eating his own tail, would have been a little too weird, so we can conclude it was an elusion towards the actual thing. So he's not the literal Ouroboros meaning.. he's.. the creature.. in it.. -.-;
Old 2004-10-03, 16:20   Link #65
babbitblob

well remember, in episode, the priest had that weird dream w/ the serpent rising from the ouroboros symbol, but that one was red. :P
Old 2004-10-03, 17:27   Link #66
krem

it was a relatively good epsiode, and one of the better bones jobs when it comes to endings. as mentioned, i felt some of the stuff that happened was far too convenient, such as
Spoiler:

having said all that, it bodes well for the movie in some respects as i expected it to end up as a flashback movie, however, the end of episode 51 provides a different slant, and that is
Spoiler:

so there may not be any fights to speak of in the movie, and instead, possibly, taking on a more philosophical tone with the struggle to reach their goals and such. In part the ending is a cop out, and the movie is just dragging out the obvious, on the other hand for fan's it will be closure, hopefully with an actual, complete ending. So not a bad episode, but not as good as I hoped for.
Old 2004-10-03, 17:36   Link #67
Shigan
Forever a Journey

I'm sorry if this will be an ignorant question, but wasn't FMA supposed to be 52 episodes? 51 sure looked like an ending.
Never stop being a kid. Never stop feeling and seeing and being excited with great things like air and engines and sounds of sunlight within you. Wear your little mask if you must to protect you from the world but if you let that kid disappear you are grown up and you are dead.
— Richard Bach

Shigan's Fanfiction Masterlist -- The Hayate x Vivio Files
Old 2004-10-03, 17:45   Link #68
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
and one of the better bones jobs when it comes to endings
Which isn't saying much anyway
Old 2004-10-03, 19:36   Link #69
Spastic_Hobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shigan
I'm sorry if this will be an ignorant question, but wasn't FMA supposed to be 52 episodes? 51 sure looked like an ending.
There's only 51. That's the end.
Old 2004-10-03, 19:43   Link #70
Anita-chan
Disabled By Request

wah, thought babee roy mustang died but he nvr soooo ......... :P:P:P:P pretty good ending i'd say cant wait till the movie now ^^ i wanna see how ed and al meet hehe!

Shigan: theres 51 episodes and 1 movie coming soon making it a almighty 52 ^^
Old 2004-10-03, 19:56   Link #71
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
They do are 52 chapters... its just that there is a chapter 0 around....i think
Old 2004-10-03, 20:40   Link #72
OMchan
オムちゃん

I remember watching something that was labelled "Episode 0" or something like that a long time ago. It was subbed in Chinese.... and all I can remember is Paku Romi and Kugimiya Rie talking and also an old man.

Kimi ni Todoke
Old 2004-10-03, 21:24   Link #73
Xikius
JTHM ~> Z?

Send a message via AIM to Xikius
I liked this ending a lot, since it reflected what the whole series is about (to me, anyway). This show began and ended being about brotherly love, wanting to do whatever it takes to help the other, no matter the danger involved.
Spoiler:
This show was about the journey they went through for each other. The alchemy, homonculi, army, Ishbal, and all the rest took a back seat to this theme. I have no doubt in mind that if there were no Elric brothers in this story, it would have only been of partial interest to me, but as it turns out, Full Metal Alchemist is now one of my all time favorite shows.
Old 2004-10-03, 22:01   Link #74
Kelya
Pimpster's Widowed

Send a message via MSN to Kelya
Well the most perfect ending ever
Spoiler:

Is it me or Ed looks more and more like a chick *runs*
Old 2004-10-03, 22:04   Link #75
-|(aGe-BuNsHiN-
Vandread

I don't know about you guys but that ending was a little too happy for me. They should have left at least Al dead. Oh wellz the movie better be good....its coming in 2005 right? Anyone know like the exact month or season at least?

Also, did any1 else feel some kind of romance thing between Winry and Al at the end?

Spoiler:

PLEASE prove me WRONG
Old 2004-10-03, 22:06   Link #76
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnergyRift
As for the whole Envy thing.. Yes.. Ouroboros is the biting of the tail thing.. but WHY DO YOU HAVE TO GET SO FREAKING SCIENTIFICAL ABOUT IT? Maybe he's just the creature from the mark itself, which was on the freaking homunculus.. So we called him a freaking Ouroboros.. but Oh no.. he's all not biting his tail, no way.. I think getting to literal is a bad thing in this case, I think he's the Snake/Serpent/Dragon of the Ouroboros, which is probably what they meant for him to be, so it wasn't so random. But showing him eating his own tail, would have been a little too weird, so we can conclude it was an elusion towards the actual thing. So he's not the literal Ouroboros meaning.. he's.. the creature.. in it.. -.-;
It's okay if you want to put it that way, but still the question is... why does Envy's "Ouroboros creature" look like the FF7 summon Leviathan? Lust's Ouroboros creature looks very different in that regard... I can't help but think it's maybe some little "easter egg" put in by SquareEnix

Quote:
Originally Posted by killermonk
Here is one. Yeah, I do notice similarities. Maybe you're correct...
thanks a lot... nice pic... Also I remember seeing a conceptual art of FF7 Leviathan somewhere... but can't remember the adress... oh well

Quote:
Originally Posted by -|(aGe-BuNsHiN-
Also, did any1 else feel some kind of romance thing between Winry and Al at the end?

Spoiler:

PLEASE prove me WRONG
Regarding Winry and romance and things,
Spoiler:

Last edited by dreamless; 2004-10-03 at 22:16.
Old 2004-10-03, 22:19   Link #77
Scrumhalf
Ed & Winry? :O

Send a message via MSN to Scrumhalf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelya
Well the most perfect ending ever
Spoiler:

Is it me or Ed looks more and more like a chick *runs*
Ed looks more and more like a chick? A very muscular chick?

Yea it's just you.
Old 2004-10-03, 22:23   Link #78
Scrumhalf
Ed & Winry? :O

Send a message via MSN to Scrumhalf
Quote:
Originally Posted by -|(aGe-BuNsHiN-
I don't know about you guys but that ending was a little too happy for me. They should have left at least Al dead. Oh wellz the movie better be good....its coming in 2005 right? Anyone know like the exact month or season at least?

Spoiler:

PLEASE prove me WRONG
Spoiler:

Spoiler for Hohenheim:
Old 2004-10-03, 22:55   Link #79
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrumhalf
Spoiler for Hohenheim:
Yup it really makes sense, I love this theory... and judging from their obsession after the supernatural and advanced technology, maybe we can see some Indiana Jones action in the move

However there's still one thing bothering me, which is the time travel or the lack thereof stuff about Ed
Spoiler for time travel or not?:

There are definitely too much things happened too conveniently in the ending like
Spoiler:

For Al and Winry romance idea, well, don't dump it too easily yet,
Spoiler:
Old 2004-10-03, 23:20   Link #80
Tae
Oh reeeeally?

Spoiler for Question about Ed:
Closed Thread