AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2007-12-26, 20:27   Link #1
nonexistinghero

Wireless Router questions

I never had a wireless router before and i bought a netgear wireless g router. I made a wep key, is that enough for security? there's also this passphrase thing in the same section, what is that for?
nonexistinghero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-26, 21:28   Link #2
Ledgem
Love Yourself

These days, WEP is not secure. Supposedly, WEP keys can be broken within a minute. If you want to be more secure, use WPA or WPA2. If going with WPA, you can choose either TKIP or AES - either should be fine, although I prefer AES (WPA2 only supports AES).

The passphrase is essentially just the password. For WEP, when you type out a password it is converted into computer (hex) code. WEP is a bit limited which is why you either have to choose a password that is five or 13 characters in length, because otherwise it doesn't convert well. With WPA, you can have a password of any character length. Just note that longer passwords that make use of letters and numbers/characters are more secure than shorter passwords that may just be a common word or name.
Old 2007-12-27, 00:41   Link #3
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

The E in WEP stands for exposed :P
Old 2007-12-27, 01:59   Link #4
rem

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonexistinghero View Post
I never had a wireless router before and i bought a netgear wireless g router. I made a wep key, is that enough for security? there's also this passphrase thing in the same section, what is that for?
If you're stuck using only WEP (Windows XP SP2 and up support WPA, as does Mac OS X), you might be able to add a bit more security by configuring your router to only allow computers with a particular network card address to log into your network. You'll need to type the individual network card (MAC) addresses into your router and ban any other computers from accessing your network. That way, you'll have to provide both a password and have the correct hardware to log onto your network. MAC addresses can be spoofed, though, so this method isn't foolproof. But it is more secure than plain WEP.
rem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-27, 02:30   Link #5
grey_moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rem View Post
If you're stuck using only WEP (Windows XP SP2 and up support WPA, as does Mac OS X), you might be able to add a bit more security by configuring your router to only allow computers with a particular network card address to log into your network. You'll need to type the individual network card (MAC) addresses into your router and ban any other computers from accessing your network. That way, you'll have to provide both a password and have the correct hardware to log onto your network. MAC addresses can be spoofed, though, so this method isn't foolproof. But it is more secure than plain WEP.
I can crack that in less then a few minutes. Google can link someone to the tools and steps really easy, don't need to be a leet hacker to break WEP and MAC filtering nowadays. The filter only works because of the the traffic is encrypted, once that is broken the rest tumble down real quickly.

Routers are dirt cheap, someone stealing your credit card details or downloading naughty stuff and getting you in trouble isn't.
Old 2007-12-27, 12:13   Link #6
nonexistinghero

i tried using wpa, but i cant get my ds/psp to connect to it, what should i do?
Old 2007-12-27, 12:46   Link #7
Ledgem
Love Yourself

The DS (and likely the PSP as well) only support WEP, unfortunately. You have a few options. You can switch your network over to WEP whenever you want to use the DS/PSP and then switch it back when you're done, although that's a bit of a pain.

Nintendo sells a little USB module that will let your computer create a small WEP-secured wireless network. So basically, your computer would be connected to your router, and your DS/PSP would connect to your computer. If your computer has built-in wireless, you may not even need to buy Nintendo's adapter. I know for a fact that you can do this with Mac computers, and you should be able to do it with a Windows computer too. Basically, you create a network from your computer, secure it with WEP (or don't secure it at all), and connect your DS/PSP to that. The only problem with using your computer's built-in wireless is that the computer has to be connected to your router with an ethernet cable. You can't be connected to a wireless network and create your own wireless network from the same adapter at the same time.
Old 2007-12-27, 13:38   Link #8
nonexistinghero

oh, ill just switch it whenever i play then, kind of stupid question, the router has to be connected to the modem and then thats connected to the computer? it wont work if its just the router?
Old 2007-12-27, 13:54   Link #9
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonexistinghero View Post
oh, ill just switch it whenever i play then, kind of stupid question, the router has to be connected to the modem and then thats connected to the computer? it wont work if its just the router?
That is correct.

I need to go read up on wireless security...stuff's coming up too fast lately.
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-27, 14:12   Link #10
grey_moon

PSP supports WPA TKIP and AES