AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-06-03, 16:10   Link #1
lgmcben

"Neon Genesis Evangelion - Remastered" {Renewal}

"Neon Genesis Evangelion - Remastered"

I saw this release on baka updates website. Is this something different from the original EVA series?

thx ^^
Old 2004-06-03, 16:30   Link #2
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Yes, it's different.

They touched up the animation through out the entire series, fixed inconsistances with the colorings (like the one scene in episode 22 where the interior of Misato's car looks like it was colored with a Mr. Sketch marker >.>), included all the footage that was edited out, used the high quality Laser Disc versions for the video and cleaned up the audio amoung other things. However, as ADV will be releasing the remastered DVDs starting next month(I think) under the title Neon Genesis Evangelion Platinium Edition (aka. Renewal) hold out a bit longer and buy the DVDs instead of robbing the people who worked so hard doing all this work of their livelyhoods.
Old 2004-06-04, 07:24   Link #3
Silver_Scorcher

But what about the last two episodes? In the Japanese version, is it the original 25th and 26th episodes, or two parts of the End of Eva movie? If it is, could that be the reason why ADV didn't license the movie?
Old 2004-06-04, 10:37   Link #4
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

From what I've read, both endings are included. The original TV ending, very though provoking, and the movie ending, eye candy, were both included in the Renewal project. The Japanese release is 9 DVDs; DVD#8 has episodes 25 and 26 as well as a whole lot of extras while DVD#9 has Death(true)^2 and Air:My pure heart.

As per ADV's not licensing the movies. I can only guess that Gainax, to make more money, sold the title rights as seperate franchises and Manga Entertainment wont the bid. Whether or not ADV has the rights to the ReMastered movies is anyone's guess, although I think Manga Entertainment has them. >.>;
Old 2004-06-04, 13:59   Link #5
SirCanealot
What? I am washed up!

Send a message via MSN to SirCanealot
Quote:
They touched up the animation through out the entire series, fixed inconsistances with the colorings (like the one scene in episode 22 where the interior of Misato's car looks like it was colored with a Mr. Sketch marker >.>), included all the footage that was edited out, used the high quality Laser Disc versions for the video and cleaned up the audio amoung other things. However, as ADV will be releasing the remastered DVDs starting next month(I think) under the title Neon Genesis Evangelion Platinium Edition (aka. Renewal) hold out a bit longer and buy the DVDs instead of robbing the people who worked so hard doing all this work of their livelyhoods.
Heh, that's a HUGE understatement. They haven't touched the animation at all, but they actually went back to their original film masters (no way that clarity comes from a 480x source), rescanned the entire series and digitally cleaned up every scene. They've improved the colours, got rid of most other artifacts on the video, the telecline jerk which Evangelion suffered in huge ammounts from is gone, the Japanese DVDs are progressive (although it's been debated on AoD whether ADV are smart enough to release their disks progressive) and best of all, the series has a brand, spanking new 5.1 remix, which sounds absolutely amazing!

This isn't just a minor touch up, it's a complete re-release. The visual quality actually rivals current shows with this touch up. And the sound is just... amazing... :/
Old 2004-06-04, 14:32   Link #6
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

I thought they switched to the LaserDisc version of the video but if it's basically been completely re-animated that's beyond great. I knew about the 5.1 audio, shame since I only have a 2.1 system connected to my DVD player. >.>;
Old 2004-06-04, 14:38   Link #7
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Paper
I thought they switched to the LaserDisc version of the video but if it's basically been completely re-animated that's beyond great. I knew about the 5.1 audio, shame since I only have a 2.1 system connected to my DVD player. >.>;
The LD version, which I also own, is from the same master (the original one with telecine jerks) as the one used for VHS releases.

It seems the Remastered version of Eva in your country is the R1 release of my Evangelion DVD-Box set.

http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...1&postcount=26
Old 2004-06-04, 14:49   Link #8
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Sadly, I don't think we're going to get half the extras you did.
I doubt we'll even get the nice box either. >.>;
Old 2004-06-04, 14:53   Link #9
SirCanealot
What? I am washed up!

Send a message via MSN to SirCanealot
It's not reanimated; they've gone back to the original film masters, and rescaned them (I have no idea what the correct technical terms are for that, sorry :P), cleaned them, made a progressive master, and then shoved them back onto DVD.

And yar, 5.1 track. Mr Paper, this is the perfect excuse to upgrade! Haha.
One of the higher points of the 5.1 track is in the control center during the Angel battles: Having status reports and what not come out of 5 speakers is coooool
Old 2004-06-04, 15:05   Link #10
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Unfortunately, a 5.1 system would be difficult to fit in what little space I have ^^; It would also entail me buying a new reciever and new speakers. >.>;

I could always grab one of these: http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...0&WLBS=fsweb13
The life of a cheap bum... Sales are nice >.>
Old 2007-10-30, 02:54   Link #11
Silvanoshei
ぜんぴょう☆

Well the series that ADV just came out with is excellent, however just wondering what in the world Manga Entertainment is doing with EoE??
Old 2007-10-31, 20:05   Link #12
dauthik
Guitar Hero

Send a message via AIM to dauthik
OMG thread revival. I actually jumped a little being like "what they remastered Evangelion AGAIN? and I was this close to buying the platinum box set too!" But then I realized that this thread is two years old, and I can go buy the box set without fear of an even better remastered version coming out.

As for your question, I'm not sure what you mean. If you're talking about their renewal of EoE, an article from like a year ago said it was going to be sometime this year. But I haven't heard anything else, so I don't really know.
Old 2007-11-04, 15:06   Link #13
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvanoshei View Post
Well the series that ADV just came out with is excellent, however just wondering what in the world Manga Entertainment is doing with EoE??
Quote:
Originally Posted by dauthik View Post
OMG thread revival. I actually jumped a little being like "what they remastered Evangelion AGAIN? and I was this close to buying the platinum box set too!" But then I realized that this thread is two years old, and I can go buy the box set without fear of an even better remastered version coming out.

As for your question, I'm not sure what you mean. If you're talking about their renewal of EoE, an article from like a year ago said it was going to be sometime this year. But I haven't heard anything else, so I don't really know.

world Manga Entertainment is probably not going to do anything with EoE, BUUUT!
as Dauthik pointed witht he aticle, they are making new movies that replay the series and it is kind of obvious that End of will be part of it as well :P
theres a threat for thet in the unaird section
Closed Thread