What do you mean it "doesn't care?"
dbzgundam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-26, 07:41   Link #22
SirJeannot
AT Field

that it can play both
Old 2004-01-26, 13:09   Link #23
Lambda

I've heard that because it stores data at a far greater density, a DVD-R is likely to have a considerably shorter lifespan than a CD-R. Can anyone confirm or deny this?
Lambda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-26, 14:02   Link #24
SirJeannot
AT Field

i would put the quality of the medium much more on the line

i've seen cdr being not readable after 2 years :/
Old 2004-01-26, 17:42   Link #25
EtherNEZ
AIR is good for you

Well, only time will tell - just wait for the complaints from newly converted DVD burner's

But I'd agree with the quality being more of an issue than if it's a DVD-R or CD-R.
EtherNEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-27, 00:06   Link #26
michael_cho_my

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbzgundam
I was mostly responding to the ppl who actually bothered to convert to MPEG2. (I really don't care about DVDs with MPEG4 material since I can fit 1.3GB on a CD-R anyway.)
OFF TOPIC:

Hey hey, how did u get to burn 1.3GB on a CD-R? Is it because u used a special software, cd-burner or disc?
michael_cho_my is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-27, 01:23   Link #27
darkwave
Manual Mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_cho_my
OFF TOPIC:

Hey hey, how did u get to burn 1.3GB on a CD-R? Is it because u used a special software, cd-burner or disc?
Do a search for CDR 1.3gb.
If your lazy here it is on Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...47264?v=glance
darkwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-27, 14:05   Link #28
dbzgundam
A-Blitz Founder/Encoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_cho_my
OFF TOPIC:

Buy a burner that supports "HD-burn" and it can double up the space on a 700MB CD-R!
Old 2004-01-27, 14:37   Link #29
Averance

I have a couple of questions about DVD-R's.... as in since it's only 4.3 GB's of info and usually episodes are 175 MB (for people who burn to CD-R's)... that leaves about an extra 50 megs.... so i was wondering:

1) Can you overburn DVD's like CD's? And if so, how and what program?

2) If u can't overburn DVD's what is there any way to compact each episode by a few megs?

3) Although this isnt' that much on topic.... what's the difference bewteen a DVD fansub vesus a regular one? Is it the resolution or what?
Averance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-27, 15:17   Link #30
dbzgundam
A-Blitz Founder/Encoder

1) No

2) not really

3) The resolution isn't much different actually... For NTSC DVDs, the resolution is 720x480 which is only larger horizontally. This is reduced to the correct 640x480 aspect ratio during playback.

Fansubs are usually 640x480 (except early fansubs, and A-Blitz's UPS) but the difference is the source. The sources on DVDs are from master copies and even the compressed version that you see, can be stretched like 4x as much with a LOT less visible quality loss than a Fansub source.
Old 2004-01-27, 20:11   Link #31
EtherNEZ
AIR is good for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Averance
I have a couple of questions about DVD-R's.... as in since it's only 4.3 GB's of info and usually episodes are 175 MB (for people who burn to CD-R's)... that leaves about an extra 50 megs.... so i was wondering:

2) If u can't overburn DVD's what is there any way to compact each episode by a few megs?
Well, if you are desperate, just using fast compression with most compression utilities (WinRAR in my case) generally knocks down a typical fansub by 2Mb or so, and there's your 50 or so megs for a 26 ep series. It's not much, but it can help occasionally. Don't bother with max compression as it makes little difference, the small amount of data that can be compressed in an AVI or similar is most probably the index/header information.

Of course, it still takes quite a while to do this, even on powerful machines and it adds extra difficulty when playing the files from DVD (not to mention time) so it's not really the best idea to compress. I've only done it to one or two series where the total was annoyingly slightly beyond DVD capacity - I'm too tidy a person to put the lone episode with other material....
EtherNEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-27, 21:44   Link #32
Averance

Quote:
Originally Posted by EtherNEZ
Well, if you are desperate, just using fast compression with most compression utilities (WinRAR in my case) generally knocks down a typical fansub by 2Mb or so, and there's your 50 or so megs for a 26 ep series. It's not much, but it can help occasionally. Don't bother with max compression as it makes little difference, the small amount of data that can be compressed in an AVI or similar is most probably the index/header information.

Of course, it still takes quite a while to do this, even on powerful machines and it adds extra difficulty when playing the files from DVD (not to mention time) so it's not really the best idea to compress. I've only done it to one or two series where the total was annoyingly slightly beyond DVD capacity - I'm too tidy a person to put the lone episode with other material....
So when you don't compress them... do you still fit them on one DVD, and if not.. don't you only have 1 episode after per DVD?
Old 2004-01-28, 05:03   Link #33
Biohazard
-kanashii~desu-

Send a message via ICQ to Biohazard Send a message via MSN to Biohazard
Hehe, when an ep doesnt fit on 1 DVD-R because only one ep is too much ( for example= Mahoromatic Season 1 and 2 )
Then i just burn the leftover episode on a cd and put them in a case where 2 cds/dvds fit in and label them correctly.

^^

Okay so from the start:
Even if said everywhere in the shops, dvd-r's can only hold up to ~4,5gb and you can't overburn them...

1x = ~1 hour
2x = ~ 30 minutes
4x = ~ 15 minutes

I prefer buying 1x dvd-r's
I dont care too much about burning speed, and they are the cheapest. Additionally burning on 1x nearly doesnt uses the hd at all, so you can even play games while burning without slowing anything down or having to fear that you might misburn the dvd.

My dvd-r burner has never screwed a dvd, and i already burned quite much dvd-r's. Well, the pc crashed once while burning, but i guess thats not the fault of the burner is it? ^^

And well, i always do the nero file check after burning, that takes additional 1 hour, but i want to make sure everything i burn is working.

And another thing i love at (data) dvd's:
You dont have to switch cd's after every 3 episodes, yaaaaaaay!

So i myself i am really glad that i bought my dvd-r burner... well i never bothered burning them for DVD-Players, because i rather watch 26 eps on pc, or tv with a tv out, than 4-8 eps on a external dvd-player ^^
Biohazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-28, 14:03   Link #34
Lambda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Averance
If u can't overburn DVD's what is there any way to compact each episode by a few megs?
Another possibility might be to chop bits off, depending on how important things are to you, if you're not interested in watching the closing credits or next episode previews for example, you could remove them. Or you could remove the credits sequences from each individual episode and just store one copy of each on the DVD, reattaching it when watching (or not if you don't feel like it) as appropriate.
Lambda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-28, 15:10   Link #35
Averance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambda
Another possibility might be to chop bits off, depending on how important things are to you, if you're not interested in watching the closing credits or next episode previews for example, you could remove them. Or you could remove the credits sequences from each individual episode and just store one copy of each on the DVD, reattaching it when watching (or not if you don't feel like it) as appropriate.
So what program would i need to do this?
Old 2004-01-28, 16:13   Link #36
dbzgundam
A-Blitz Founder/Encoder

VirtualDub can do it although I'm far too lazy to bother explaining...

Anyway I can get excellent 500-700MB MPEG2's out so it doesn't bother me to much and I can watch the eps on any DVD player.
Old 2004-02-03, 06:11   Link #37
Blitzwing01
Longtime Lurker

What I do if a series is too big, is I just reencode the thing. XviD 1.0 Beta 3 gives smaller file sizes with no preceptible loss of quality. Just skim a few megs off each episode and you can get it to fit...
Blitzwing01 is offline   Reply With Quote