AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Angel Beats!

Notices

View Poll Results: Angel Beats! - Episode 6 Rating
Perfect 10 41 21.69%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 55 29.10%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 45 23.81%
7 out of 10 : Good 24 12.70%
6 out of 10 : Average 10 5.29%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 9 4.76%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 1.06%
3 out of 10 : Bad 2 1.06%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.53%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-05-08, 23:07   Link #141
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneDragon View Post
Was it because of her being manhandled and mindraped at the end? Because having a Haruhi-lookalike on the other end of some abuse is kinda... not bad.
and/or because Yurippe's va is use to these kind of roles
Old 2010-05-08, 23:11   Link #142
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
People seem to be blaming Maeda for how shallow all this feels, but anyone who says that obviously hasn't actually played the games written by him. The problem is, of course, that it's just so rushed.
I completely agree with you. The pacing is really off not just because of time constraints, but the overall structure is very difficult withe mass cast too. So far this story seems to not work for an anime adaption. I would love a novel adaption.

I also note too that people haven't obviously played or read his work before, let alone what his work is inspired from. I couldn't put the blame on him entirely. Since how the director and studio used his story is another thing.
Old 2010-05-08, 23:23   Link #143
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Otaku View Post
I completely agree with you. The pacing is really off not just because of time constraints, but the overall structure is very difficult withe mass cast too. So far this story seems to not work for an anime adaption. I would love a novel adaption.

I also note too that people haven't obviously played or read his work before, let alone what his work is inspired from. I couldn't put the blame on him entirely. Since how the director and studio used his story is another thing.
I hope that people don't blame Maeda for the pacing issues because on paper, I'm pretty sure this series is much better than what we're currently watching. Like I said in my previous post, this episode in particular suffers because of pacing and not because of content. If Ayato's story had proper development, I'm pretty sure the impact of this episode would have been much more significant. Fortunately, I had been prepared for what was to come so it's really not that surprising.

This plot would have worked perfectly as an anime adaptation but the problem lies more within time constraints, it's such a shame as well because this has so much more potential. I kind of wish Maeda was more patient and maybe waited until he found the right budget for a longer series. Admittedly, I'm not sure if it's for financial reasons or not but that's my best guess.

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
Old 2010-05-09, 00:07   Link #144
Spiritual

Yeah, I'm not exactly familiar with the artist who created the works or his inspiration but I can definitely agree that the "pacing" became rushed after Kanade and Ootanashi had to see the massacre. Perhaps if he/they studied with the creators of Baccano! or studied the work for inspiration about how to use large cast they would of been a bit better? Just speculation there. Story thoughts incoming.

Thumbs up to to Yuri in the beginning, she shows she leads with thoughtfulness even though she is very emotional. I gather she gained leadership from being in the position rather than having it already.

Needs moar Yui and Hinata Antics. I say we need moar T.K., but well he said he's gonna be back. Loved the Terminator reference.

Sad Tenshi is sad. "If I get friends they disappear anyway." seems to come to mind. It makes the way she reacts to people sensible. It appears she makes a logical choice not to go out of her way to bother with people beyond her duty. Still screen time for her and Ootanashi is great. Who pulled the anchor?

My theory on the Massacre seen is they were the most part grieved and killed repeatedly. Hinata probably just laid there and pretended to be hurt up after just one blow, considering he still pulled off some humor. What would really harness the scare of this massacre is if he had actually hypnotized an SSS member into oblivion(or wherever they go.)

Yuri just gained Ms. Fanservice and we get to see Naoi's rape face, but the whole premise behind what he was doing failing at the first try means either he hadn't had enough pottery practice with it or she was just immune to her own mind-blow. Not a Hinamori.

It disappoints me that someone who gains the ego of thinking they are god-like, with bulling on the side, suddenly falls from a hug.. Disgaea 2 anyone? And the how did he get there in time was awful, considering at every 90 degree angle he had a gun in his face(Not a great tactic if the gunners have slow reflexes), just to do that. Hinata was right in asking that question. "Are you?" Only thing we have here are steers and queers, and you ain't no steer Ootanashi.
Old 2010-05-09, 00:24   Link #145
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

So let's assume that they don't have to rush through everything, then what more could they put in?
- Naoi put Kanede under surveillance so he can wait for her breaking the rule and trap her
- Yuri put up precaution after witnessing that beating up screen for the first time (why didn't she see it even once before....? Let's assume: that is a different roof top)
- Otonashi moment with Kanede is not rushed through. A hint for more Tenshi's past
- How the whole SSS can actually be trapped and slaughter without a chance or to snipe back, put up some melee fight or escape. They are certainly more maneuver and act more independently that those mindless "droid"
- What Tenshi do with her "Hand sonic" on under that rain screen? Probably beat up or block some NPC's shooting. Then her conflict between actually duty and following the acting president words
- More of how Naoi can develop his hypnotism and Yuri struggling against it. How can you feel relax and ascend in Yuri's case btw? AT least throw her into a comfortable living room without those coffins
- Naoi plan is overthrown, put him in state of desperation. Otonashi smack him up. Better flashback

Still there are tons more of plot holes. The second half is beyond repair....
Well i will forgive them all if they have Yuri making up out with Kanede next episode
Old 2010-05-09, 00:31   Link #146
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
and/or because Yurippe's va is use to these kind of roles
QUOTED FOR TRUTH! that made my day.

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
Old 2010-05-09, 00:41   Link #147
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
So let's assume that they don't have to rush through everything, then what more could they put in?
- Naoi put Kanede under surveillance so he can wait for her breaking the rule and trap her
- Yuri put up precaution after witnessing that beating up screen for the first time (why didn't she see it even once before....? Let's assume: that is a different roof top)
- Otonashi moment with Kanede is not rushed through. A hint for more Tenshi's past
- How the whole SSS can actually be trapped and slaughter without a chance or to snipe back, put up some melee fight or escape. They are certainly more maneuver and act more independently that those mindless "droid"
- What Tenshi do with her "Hand sonic" on under that rain screen? Probably beat up or block some NPC's shooting. Then her conflict between actually duty and following the acting president words
- More of how Naoi can develop his hypnotism and Yuri struggling against it. How can you feel relax and ascend in Yuri's case btw? AT least throw her into a comfortable living room without those coffins
- Naoi plan is overthrown, put him in state of desperation. Otonashi smack him up. Better flashback

Still there are tons more of plot holes. The second half is beyond repair....
Well i will forgive them all if they have Yuri making up out with Kanede next episode
It doesn't necessarily have to be limited to just this episode, if they had introduced Ayato earlier and maybe revealed his past earlier for example, it would have been easier to sympathize with his character rather than having him look like a villain for most of the time, and then all of a sudden throwing a tragic past at us. Iwasawa was no exception either. This anime could have benefited from a 2 cour season but I guess we'll just have to deal with what we're receiving.

I'm sure Yuri doesn't hold any grudges towards Kanade, on the contrary I think she feels the same as Otonashi now that they know the truth about her.

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
Old 2010-05-09, 01:04   Link #148
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

pacing was a bit off. if they had 2 eps to flesh out of his story, it would have been much better and more powerful. but i guess it makes sense: he wants to be acknowledged as himself, not as his brother. so he goes and becomes god, who is the most acknowledged being.

i really wonder how many members of the cast they can resolve. or if it'll be like 2 eps for Kanade, and the last two eps for Yuri and Otonashi. throw whatever they want in between those eps and now, and i think the series will be rather solid. i don't care whatever else they put in it as long as they flesh out the three major plot lines.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
Old 2010-05-09, 01:09   Link #149
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
pacing was a bit off. if they had 2 eps to flesh out of his story, it would have been much better and more powerful. but i guess it makes sense: he wants to be acknowledged as himself, not as his brother. so he goes and becomes god, who is the most acknowledged being.

i really wonder how many members of the cast they can resolve. or if it'll be like 2 eps for Kanade, and the last two eps for Yuri and Otonashi. throw whatever they want in between those eps and now, and i think the series will be rather solid. i don't care whatever else they put in it as long as they flesh out the three major plot lines.
We can have more of Yuri and Otonashi's past in S2 through. Maybe give us some hints so we can get excited over or something.

I wishes they were just trying to surprise us with another 13 episodes by the end of ep 12.
Old 2010-05-09, 01:10   Link #150
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

there's a season 2? that's news to me.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
Old 2010-05-09, 01:12   Link #151
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
there's a season 2? that's news to me.
No... that was my wish..... -__-'

There's likely a chance if S1 is successful enough
Old 2010-05-09, 01:15   Link #152
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

then don't go posting it like its a fact..

Old 2010-05-09, 01:40   Link #153
Francismeunier
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
Is it me or Yuri just gained points on being sexy in this episode? o.o
Yes she did because of that one scene around the massacre when she was held by Naoi.
Quote:
No... that was my wish..... -__-'

There's likely a chance if S1 is successful enough
Most likely if the series does not get rushed like I heard around.
Old 2010-05-09, 04:56   Link #154
Qikz

Quote:
We can have more of Yuri and Otonashi's past in S2 through. Maybe give us some hints so we can get excited over or something.

I wishes they were just trying to surprise us with another 13 episodes by the end of ep 12.
Yeah, the whole extra episodes or a new season would be my wish aswell. It seems all the animes I really get into are generally only 13 episodes long and it's like damnit all when it ends.
Old 2010-05-09, 05:14   Link #155
Archangel Roy
Nandaiyo
*Graphic Designer

I just started watching this series and finished this episode.
Spoiler for Episode 6:
Old 2010-05-09, 05:43   Link #156
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

This ep was all over the place. had plenty of good moments (the mahjong in class, Yui's bathroom antics, the scene with Otonashi and Kanade trapped together, Tensho's 4 Guard Mode levels with the last one made with the desire to 'look cute' and the whole massacre), but the ending failed on so many levels.

A guy having hypnotic eyes is one thing, but his whole motivation for being so power-hungry sees a bit off to me, even more so considering his past.

We need more shots of Yuri being battered, bruised and clothes torn like that. No greater satisfaction can be achieved than seeing her in the most humiliating way possible. For a second, I expected Naoi to rape her on the spot.
Old 2010-05-09, 05:51   Link #157
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I agree with everyone else. The pacing was just weird. It should've been developed into 2 or maybe even 3 episodes instead of just 1. And the whole "Pottery = SRSBSNS" just didn't get to me. The drama felt a bit contrived (you take one punch and then suddenly give us your life story?) and Otonashi was is bordering on a typical 'Messiah - like' protagonist in a crappy shonen manga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
On another note, I loved the BGM playing during Otonashi's speech to Ayato.
I have to admit that was awesome.
Old 2010-05-09, 06:10   Link #158
kache
Asobo~
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DmonHiro View Post
Actually...this kind of bothers me. They know she's been making her skills. Why isn't anyone else doing the same? If I just learned that it is possible for me to create my own super-powers/equipment, I'd spend all day figuring out how. And since I can already make stuff out of dirt, I'd eventually figure it out. Why isn't anyone doing that?
Exactly.
I too thought that after finding out how Kanade developed her skills everyone in the SSS would start working on that and we would have a super esper war at the end.
But they just seemed to ignore that...

Watching at the moment: click on the image.

Old 2010-05-09, 06:12   Link #159
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

They don't know how to. (probably)

Nor do they have a computer.
Old 2010-05-09, 06:30   Link #160
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by kache View Post
Exactly.
I too thought that after finding out how Kanade developed her skills everyone in the SSS would start working on that and we would have a super esper war at the end.
But they just seemed to ignore that...
Like Khu said, they're probably trying to figure it out and haven't yet, but aren't going to try and ask Tenshi for help for obvious reasons.
Closed Thread