AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-04-01, 13:15   Link #2481
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Does that mean that people want to see Kanji find true love in a bathhouse?
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-01, 14:27   Link #2482
justsomeguy

Episode 25:
* What the fuck was with Yuu's ass up pose? That was very tasteless, never mind that it didn't come close to matching Izanagi, who just got stabbed in the abdomen.
* Tomoe Gozen uses God's Hand to finish the second Reaper.
* Yuu uses Isis, the highest Empress Arcana Persona, to lift the rocks off himself.
* The setting of the battle against Ameno-sagiri is different. In the game, it takes place in the sky over the real Inaba, with the map screen visible below the battle. The anime doesn't quite capture the "worlds merging" idea with the fight among the ruins of Magatsu Inaba.
* The other party members' Personae finally evolve. In general, they become immune to their own element and lose their weakness to the opposing, except for Yukiko and Teddie.
* Yuu fuses Lucifer, the highest Judgement Arcana Persona, to fight Ameno-sagiri. It' actually weak to Light, but learns Repel Light at lvl 96. No idea what that spell he defeated the boss with, since Lucifer is inherently Ice element.
* In the game, Dojima actually had an ambulance waiting for Adachi after the party dragged him out of the TV.
* Apparently AIC Asta is saving the after party, Christmas party, and extended farewell scene for the True Ending. Oh, and in the game's animated ending, Yuu just stands on the train and stares as he leaves, no waving like he did here. LOL. I expect the ending to be extensively modified for the True End too.
* Still no resolution for what happened to Namatame. The game didn't mention him at all in the ending.
* OVA for True End. I called it. Margaret fight? That I did not expect.

Slightly premature for review, but no need to wait until August:
The Good:
* As far as adaptations go, very faithful to the source, in terms of plot events at least.
* The added humor is good, as is the Nanako episode and the following Social Links episode.
* Good job by the writers fitting in the party members' Social Links with the main plot, for the most part. Yosuke's and Yukiko's stood out as mostly absent and sucking.

The Bad:
* Since most of the dungeons are cut out, we actually don't see the party members' Personae all that much. More often than not, the only time we see them is getting their asses kicked by the boss only for Yuu to save the day by summoning from his huge repertoire.
* Extremely fast pacing from having to squeeze in the entire game means that not many events have much impact.
* Questionable production values. The art looked noticeably awful at times.

"Final" Scores (saving 1/1 for the True End):
6/9 if regarded as a standalone show. Probably will be 7/10 after the True End is released.
9/9 if regarded as supplementary material to the game. Probably 10/10 after the True End is released.

Currently playing: LoH Trails in the Sky SC

Last edited by justsomeguy; 2012-04-01 at 14:44.
justsomeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-01, 14:41   Link #2483
Gundamx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
Does that mean that people want to see Kanji find true love in a bathhouse?
Hmm... I think it because Kanji like cute thing and Sewing (he plan to take over his family business?)
But because he believe that only girls&gay should be interested in cute thing(that why he is denied himself).

While other half because of Investigation Team since they belive that he is gay thanks to Naoto, So they are thinking "Is he a gay? He must be one right?"
(If you want you can add fan girls wish too.)

And why it's bathhouse.... maybe because even though he is denying himself he still want the world to accept him = in other world showing everything he have to the world. (naked?)
While fan girls want to see kanji muscle body (joke)

In other world he want the world accept that he like cute thing but he is afraid that they will thing he is gay since every one been saying that only girl&gay should like cute things till he himself start believing that.
(Don't to mention that he himself start to believe he might be gay for loving cute thing which made him hating/denied himself more.)

That why he start to try to act more mainly(fighting)
And also why he ask Naoto to join beauty contest.
(In order to make sure if he like dude or dudette.)

P.S.: Spelling .
Gundamx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-01, 16:56   Link #2484
Metalsnakezero
Trio Finale!

I have a review on the series if any of you want to read it http://www.animevice.com/persona-4-t...review_id=1131

In short, I was happy to watch this adoption of my favorite game. Its not perfect but it does more right than wrong for the series.
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic176117_1.gif
Metalsnakezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-01, 19:21   Link #2485
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

Quote:
Yuu fuses Lucifer, the highest Judgement Arcana Persona, to fight Ameno-sagiri. It' actually weak to Light, but learns Repel Light at lvl 96. No idea what that spell he defeated the boss with, since Lucifer is inherently Ice element.
Probably morning star (though he doesn't learn it except for his angel counterpart) or perhaps megidoladyne like he used in DeSu 1? It did looks like some blast of light so I assume that it's an almighty spells...

Quote:
"Final" Scores (saving 1/1 for the True End):
6/9 if regarded as a standalone show. Probably will be 7/10 after the True End is released.
9/9 if regarded as supplementary material to the game. Probably 10/10 after the True End is released.
I agree with this. It might be quite decent as a standalone anime but pretty much interesting if you already play the game. But at least despite the pacing, I might still understand what's happening in the anime if I hadn't play the game itself.

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-01, 19:45   Link #2486
rpgman1

It's mostly better than other video game -> anime series. For those who haven't played the game, it's just another average anime series. The best parts were those that didn't involve fighting and solving mysteries (slice-of-life, school, summer vacation, etc.). Animation is certainly bad, but the BD/DVD releases cleaned up most of the mess. I didn't know what Isis and Lucifer were using since they seem to be anime original skills. There are still some things left unsolved after #25, so we'll have to wait to see if the anime added some original content (mostly likely will to please the fanbase).
rpgman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-02, 01:29   Link #2487
Angelic Cross
Soul-eating Librarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
Episode 25:
* Yuu fuses Lucifer, the highest Judgement Arcana Persona, to fight Ameno-sagiri. It' actually weak to Light, but learns Repel Light at lvl 96. No idea what that spell he defeated the boss with, since Lucifer is inherently Ice element.
Yeah, it's weird. I wanted to think it was a Morning Star with a modified animation, but that's on Helel. Unless Yu's cheating with the fusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Himmel View Post
Probably morning star (though he doesn't learn it except for his angel counterpart) or perhaps megidoladyne like he used in DeSu 1? It did looks like some blast of light so I assume that it's an almighty spells...
Nah, can't be Megidoladyne. Not feathery enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpgman1 View Post
It's mostly better than other video game -> anime series. For those who haven't played the game, it's just another average anime series. The best parts were those that didn't involve fighting and solving mysteries (slice-of-life, school, summer vacation, etc.). Animation is certainly bad, but the BD/DVD releases cleaned up most of the mess. I didn't know what Isis and Lucifer were using since they seem to be anime original skills. There are still some things left unsolved after #25, so we'll have to wait to see if the anime added some original content (mostly likely will to please the fanbase).
Yeah, it's pretty much the best MegaTen animated adaptation (I can't really say the Devil Children anime was an adaptation, despite it being entertaining, considering how different it is from the game). It's only the second time watching a MegaTen anime that made me think "I'd like to see them make another SMT-based anime" rather than "Please, please don't let them do this again!"
Angelic Cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-02, 01:37   Link #2488
Vena
Carpe Diem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelic Cross View Post
Yeah, it's pretty much the best MegaTen animated adaptation (I can't really say the Devil Children anime was an adaptation, despite it being entertaining, considering how different it is from the game). It's only the second time watching a MegaTen anime that made me think "I'd like to see them make another SMT-based anime" rather than "Please, please don't let them do this again!"
Some long lost part of me still clings to the hope of an actual P3 but, alas, that will never happen because that game is even harder to turn into a TV series.
Old 2012-04-02, 02:22   Link #2489
black_star
How should i say it?

What's the skill that Lucy used in the battle against amenosagiri?
Pirates are evil? The Marines are righteous? These terms have always changed throughout the course of history! Kids who have never seen peace and kids who have never seen war have different values! Those who stand at the top determine what's wrong and what's right! This very place is neutral ground! Justice will prevail, you say? But of course it will! Whoever wins this war becomes justice! - Doquixote Doflamingo

MAL Twitter
black_star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-02, 02:26   Link #2490
black_star
How should i say it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
Episode 25:
* What the fuck was with Yuu's ass up pose? That was very tasteless, never mind that it didn't come close to matching Izanagi, who just got stabbed in the abdomen.
* Tomoe Gozen uses God's Hand to finish the second Reaper.
* Yuu uses Isis, the highest Empress Arcana Persona, to lift the rocks off himself.
* The setting of the battle against Ameno-sagiri is different. In the game, it takes place in the sky over the real Inaba, with the map screen visible below the battle. The anime doesn't quite capture the "worlds merging" idea with the fight among the ruins of Magatsu Inaba.
* The other party members' Personae finally evolve. In general, they become immune to their own element and lose their weakness to the opposing, except for Yukiko and Teddie.
* In the game, Dojima actually had an ambulance waiting for Adachi after the party dragged him out of the TV.
* Apparently AIC Asta is saving the after party, Christmas party, and extended farewell scene for the True Ending. Oh, and in the game's animated ending, Yuu just stands on the train and stares as he leaves, no waving like he did here. LOL. I expect the ending to be extensively modified for the True End too.
* Still no resolution for what happened to Namatame. The game didn't mention him at all in the ending.
* OVA for True End. I called it. Margaret fight? That I did not expect.
Er... isn't that Suzuka Gongen? It's her evolved personae.
Pirates are evil? The Marines are righteous? These terms have always changed throughout the course of history! Kids who have never seen peace and kids who have never seen war have different values! Those who stand at the top determine what's wrong and what's right! This very place is neutral ground! Justice will prevail, you say? But of course it will! Whoever wins this war becomes justice! - Doquixote Doflamingo

MAL Twitter
black_star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-02, 02:27   Link #2491
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
As justsomeguy wrote, the value of the show is lesser without knowledge of the game. For me the removal of the tedious dungeon crawling was very welcome, as was listening effortlessly* to the original VAs more than welcome, but P4 had the weakest plot from the MegaTen games I am familiar with, add to that skipping the true end, and inferior art (especially the color scheme chosen is simply put... horrible). Dunno, I am surprised that people not having played the game even bothered. Anyway, on the other hand the amount of fan-service (unfortunately limited to non-explicit references, and mainly shounen-ai) was insane, so I enjoyed it, despite not trying to do anything more ambitious... overall 6/10, should I not liked Horie Yui and not having played the game probably I would have dropped it after the 3rd episode

* Since it took quite some effort to get rid of the crappy dub the game came with
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-02, 02:47   Link #2492
warita
Dai-Youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpgman1 View Post
I didnt play the game.... but I enjoyed this anime. I thought it was pretty averige before the slice of life episodes started. I was intrigued for the first time in Yuu, after that one girl abused him as her boyfriend one episode long. I learned to appreciate his kindness and "nothing phases me" attitude. And from there on it was a fun ride.

So yeah, the fights and solving mysteries were not so interesting and obviously catered more to the fans of the game. But I have to praise the creaters of the anime for not concentrating solely on gamers. That usually happens, when you have a game adaptation. I think the slice of life moments were purposely addeded to draw in a larger audience and it was a success!!!

I wont rate this anime. There were times when it bored me and times when it was hilarious and left me screaming for more. It was an anime I wont forget so quickly.
warita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-02, 03:00   Link #2493
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
@warita: You do know that except from endlessly killing 3D post-modernist blobs, called shadows, the game was basically a tame slice-of-life friend-making/date-sim, just like the anime, save for the abundant yaoi doujinshi references, and butchering the mythologies of a multitude of cultures (not that any of the above is bad, it made a subpar animation and game interesting to watch and play)
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-02, 06:39   Link #2494
Angelic Cross
Soul-eating Librarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
and butchering the mythologies of a multitude of cultures
That's pretty much standard for a MegaTen game (and whole lot of RPGs in general)
Angelic Cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-02, 07:56   Link #2495
Kimidori
The Opened Ultimate Gate

now someone should make an anime adaptations of Persona 2 or Devil Survivor Series
Old 2012-04-02, 08:47   Link #2496
LKK

Anime-only person here. I enjoyed the series a lot. I gave it a try on a whim. By the end of the show, it was one of my weekly viewing highlights. The Shadow world fights were my least liked part. Mostly because the odd coloring and the numerous cut shots made the fights difficult to follow. That's also where my lack of game knowledge hurt me because I didn't recognize the persona and had little clue as to what they were doing. However, the real world was interesting, funny, at times touching, and had likeable characters (Yuu joined my all-time favorites list). Yeah, the animation could be awkward and the character design were off-model too many times, but those qualities aren't high on my How Much Did I Enjoy the Show? ranking list. I expect I'll pick up the US release when it comes out.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-02, 09:14   Link #2497
Kakkou
Tch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimidori View Post
now someone should make an anime adaptations of Persona 2 or Devil Survivor Series
I practically pray for this every single time I think about the title. Devil Survivor's getting a manga adaptation in Shonen Sirius soon, so maybe that'll generate interest in an anime adaptation. Hey, I can dream, right?
Kakkou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-02, 10:02   Link #2498
justsomeguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_star View Post
Er... isn't that Suzuka Gongen? It's her evolved personae.
Well, in this case Chie's Persona did not evolve until Ameno-Sagiri showed up, after the Reapers were defeated. So yeah, it's Tomoe, not Suzuka here.

Currently playing: LoH Trails in the Sky SC
justsomeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-02, 11:20   Link #2499
Yuna Amakura

Quote:
Originally Posted by warita View Post

So yeah, the fights and solving mysteries were not so interesting and obviously catered more to the fans of the game. But I have to praise the creaters of the anime for not concentrating solely on gamers. That usually happens, when you have a game adaptation. I think the slice of life moments were purposely addeded to draw in a larger audience and it was a success!!!
I don't quite agree, since these moments already existed in the game and many players love them as well. So, maybe they "exaggerated" on the slic of life side of Persona a little bit in order to draw another public, but it wasn't solely for this. I, for instance, see this adaptation as a way to mainly please the pre-existing fanbase.

I'd rate this 6/7, regardless of my fondness for the game. My favorite character was pretty much useless in this, the pace was chaotic, animation was terrible, the sound director was high sometimes and they focused too much on the comic side of the game. Kudos for the first four episodes plus Namatame's arc.
Yuna Amakura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-02, 11:30   Link #2500
warita
Dai-Youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuna Amakura View Post
I don't quite agree, since these moments already existed in the game and many players love them as well. So, maybe they "exaggerated" on the slic of life side of Persona a little bit in order to draw another public, but it wasn't solely for this. I, for instance, see this adaptation as a way to mainly please the pre-existing fanbase.
Aha, I thought I saw a few people posting that the game didnt focus so much on the slice of life, thats what made me think that. Anyways, thanks for clearing that up for me.

As for the chara design, I actually loved the way the characters were drawn, especially Yu.

I always wonder, what people mean my bad animation. What exactly does that mean? That the characters have jerky movements or dont move naturally? OK, this makes me sound like I am new to anime, but really, I never see the "bad animation" when people complain about that, so I fail to understand it. To me it felt flawless.
warita is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, fantasy