AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-10-23, 21:50   Link #101
HybridBloodsZak

If someone asks me which version or part of HxH I like more. I can tell them and why and if they agree or not is fine with me.

For the record, more often than not I like the artwork and animation(different things btw which people always mix up) of the remake more because it is clean and consistent. I can always tell what is going on whether it is brightly lit or a dark environment. That's something I can't say for the old series.

I'd honestly rather bring in new people to appreciate the story rather than convince 2 or 3 people who are pretty grounded in their opinions already. As the hundreds of comments on Crunchyroll for episode 52 show, the reception to the fight has been more positive while this thread, which is made up of more hardcore fans, is more often than not negative.

"Amazing!!! I'm glued in my seat!"

"awesome!! I am hooked!! This is an Epic tale."

"I love this<3 Killua's family amazing "

Last edited by Daniel E.; 2012-10-24 at 16:51.
HybridBloodsZak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-28, 07:56   Link #102
SHINOBI-03

-EPISODE 53-

Spoiler for Part 1:

--

Spoiler for Part 2:

Last edited by SHINOBI-03; 2012-11-02 at 06:08.
SHINOBI-03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-28, 16:42   Link #103
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHINOBI-03 View Post
The episode didn't have any action
lol I do understand what you meant but I still felt the need to do this. :P
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-28, 17:04   Link #104
SHINOBI-03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
lol I do understand what you meant but I still felt the need to do this. :P
I stand corrected! (But it's still just one punch)
Old 2012-10-28, 17:24   Link #105
vansonbee
❤Ichigo 100%❤

Both show Kura with a different style of hitting the bald dude, which I ain't complaining much, still personal favorite is the 1999 version of him punching him away. It reminds me of DBZ. lol
Old 2012-10-28, 19:09   Link #106
Toto y Moi
Amor Fati

A quick note: Kurapika's line to Zenji in the 1999 series is different from the manga/2011 series.

Kurapika (1999): "Stop. Don't bother me as I am right now."
Kurapika (manga/2011): "Stop. I'm ready to lash out against the first person I see...and it might as well be you."

The 1999 series had many little line changes like this, for some bizarre reason. Another example, from the top of my head, is during the arm wrestling scene between Gon and Nobunaga. When Killua interjects into their conversation, Nobunaga in the manga and 2011 series threatens to kill the boy if he speaks again. In the 1999 series, Nobunaga's line is changed to "hurt" from "kill."
Toto y Moi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-28, 22:12   Link #107
vansonbee
❤Ichigo 100%❤

You sure its not a translating error or a similar meaning? (regarding Nobunaga line)

The kurapika line did not matter and I like the change, because he does not need much dialogue to show how craze he is.
Old 2012-10-29, 05:07   Link #108
Toto y Moi
Amor Fati

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansonbee View Post
You sure its not a translating error or a similar meaning? (regarding Nobunaga line)

The kurapika line did not matter and I like the change, because he does not need much dialogue to show how craze he is.
100%. Actually, the 1999 series censored direct references to death (in language) quite frequently.

As for Kurapika's line, it may not have mattered to you...but it did to me. Take that as you will. It's also worth mentioning that in the manga, Kurapika punches Zenji because the latter implies that the former is Nostrade's prostitute. A line about "sucking off your limp master" is changed to "lick your master's boots" in the anime.

Last edited by Toto y Moi; 2012-10-29 at 05:17.
Toto y Moi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-30, 03:35   Link #109
fanty
STARVING ARTIST

Kurapika's line was not much when translated into English, so it's easy to not be bothered by the change, but in Japanese, it sounded so absolutely awesome, I would have missed a lot if I didn't get to hear it.

Quote:
I love these two pages.
Old 2012-11-02, 06:08   Link #110
SHINOBI-03

This note is added.

Quote:
There's a goof in Madhouse's adaptation. Kurapika still have his chains on his hands. How did the Phantom Troupe not notice it? In the manga and Nippon's adaptation he did not have them.

Old 2012-11-04, 12:02   Link #111
SHINOBI-03

-EPISODE 54-

Spoiler for Part 1:

--

Spoiler for Part 2:
Old 2012-11-04, 13:16   Link #112
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

As far as I'm concerned, the OVAs were a definite step up from the original series in terms of image quality. There's not much to be said for Kurapica's characterization since the OVAs scenes match the manga more accurately, which is my prime criteria for judging a series.
Old 2012-11-04, 13:25   Link #113
SHINOBI-03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
As far as I'm concerned, the OVAs were a definite step up from the original series in terms of image quality. There's not much to be said for Kurapica's characterization since the OVAs scenes match the manga more accurately, which is my prime criteria for judging a series.
We will see as time goes on if Saga decided to stick to the manga characterizations or forced himself to adapt Furuhashi's "image" for the sake of continuity.
Old 2012-11-04, 23:19   Link #114
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Hmmm... I didn't know Shizuku was going to die. Since chances are she'll avoid that prophecy, what do you think "a room filled with black merchandise" means?

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-05, 01:51   Link #115
SHINOBI-03

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
Hmmm... I didn't know Shizuku was going to die. Since chances are she'll avoid that prophecy, what do you think "a room filled with black merchandise" means?
Maybe it's their current hideout filled with the stolen auction goods.
Old 2012-11-11, 05:49   Link #116
SHINOBI-03

-EPISODE 55-

Spoiler for Part 1:

--

Spoiler for Part 2:
Old 2012-11-11, 06:30   Link #117
waterdragon1793

Thank you so much Shinobi for always doing these comparisons. I always look forward to them.

I kinda wish the Phantom Rouge movie were more about what was really supposed to happen with the Troupe if they weren't able to avoid the prophecy. Like, I would love to see how Shizuku, Shalnark and Pakunoda would die under the circumstances that they were supposed to be in.

Spoiler:

Although I'm aware an alternative retelling of the Phantom Troupe arc would be boring to some, I guess.
waterdragon1793 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-11, 14:55   Link #118
bbsbwk

Quote:
-EPISODE 55-

BTW, is there any idea who is this?
Sheena Ringo (Japanese female rocker most popular in late 90s)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ringo_Sheena
Given the height of her popularity around the time of the release of that chapter and that mole on her face, that's probably her. Probably just Togashi being a fan.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wGRddRF2i0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLGygctzL0s

Togashi also mentioned another Japanese female alternative rocker called Jun Togawa (she started in the 80s, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jun_Togawa) in YYH before. The character Itsuki mentioned about looking forward to buy her new album...such remark stunned the then-Spirit detective Sensui and ended up not killing Itsuki. Here's the connection: Sheena Ringo was always criticized for ripping off Jun Togawa (both have wild singing voice, unhinged persona, playing with parody of 'Showa period" Japanese iconography/music with a scandalous twist, and of course the most obvious one is dressing up as a nurse). So you can kinda see where Togashi's type lies. Oh yeah Jun Togawa's debut album was Insect theme too (Insect Woman....inspiration?).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c45a1WTr-wY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKGtWrNr0Cs&
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M53s...eature=related

Last edited by bbsbwk; 2012-11-11 at 15:34.
bbsbwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-13, 16:20   Link #119
noktown

Despite all the weirdness around Hisoka,he's smart as hell to come up with a fake prophecy that would fool Chrollo...
noktown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-13, 16:24   Link #120
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Hisoka lives and breathes deception.