AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2013-03-25, 11:24   Link #2741
Justin_Brett

I think that was a convenient way of getting all these characters together easily.
Justin_Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-25, 14:03   Link #2742
Old_Iron
. . .
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Old_Iron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin_Brett View Post
I think that was a convenient way of getting all these characters together easily.
I can play my Wild Mass Guessing game, can't I? XD

Rather curious about Sieglinde as well. And I'd like to see more of Victoria. Dat axe.
Old 2013-03-25, 14:05   Link #2743
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Iron View Post
I can play my Wild Mass Guessing game, can't I? XD

Rather curious about Sieglinde as well. And I'd like to see more of Victoria. Dat axe.
Poor Shante got smashed.
Old 2013-03-25, 14:11   Link #2744
Old_Iron
. . .
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post
Poor Shante got smashed.
Like a bug. An irritating bug that knows Kage Bunshin and has tonfa-swords, but still a bug.
Old 2013-03-25, 14:38   Link #2745
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
It's curbstomping in fashion.
Old 2013-03-25, 16:57   Link #2746
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post
It's curbstomping in fashion.
Of course, Victoria knows how to deliver a curbstomp with style and elegance xD!

Old Iron, hope you get to write something about her and/or Sieglinde someday xD

...9 years ago, the day after never would be the same

~The ASFB~
Akiyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-25, 18:35   Link #2747
Old_Iron
. . .
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akiyoshi View Post
Old Iron, hope you get to write something about her and/or Sieglinde someday xD
ViVid has been a bit of a treasure trove for fic ideas, so I won't say no immediately. XD

One that actually stuck out to me was the notion of Adult Mode + Clone + Severe Genetic Tampering slowing or even freezing Vivio's growth. Thus putting her in a similar dilemma as Vita. Only perhaps even worse.
Old 2013-03-25, 19:59   Link #2748
Sansker
Manus ad Ferrum

To me the whole idea of the Adult Form is really... stupid.

Adds nothing but odd visuals and adult fanservice with the loli fanservice and we can use two characters to do both! Efficiency, I love it.
Old 2013-03-25, 21:04   Link #2749
Old_Iron
. . .
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sansker View Post
To me the whole idea of the Adult Form is really... stupid.

Adds nothing but odd visuals and adult fanservice with the loli fanservice and we can use two characters to do both! Efficiency, I love it.
It could be handled a lot better than it is, especially considering we're not really being given proper detail on it.

There was bound to be heavy fanservice anyways and at least this way we're not looking at a total dominance by the loli's.

Combat efficiency... not really sure. All I know is that the line about Vivio being better suited to scholarly pursuits is bound to pop up again and bite the girl on the ass.
Old 2013-03-25, 21:11   Link #2750
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Nanya01
And females in this series have a nice ass to have it bite into too. XP

My fics Due to certain things, I am not here, find me over on TFF.
Nanya01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-25, 21:25   Link #2751
Sansker
Manus ad Ferrum

I mean on the fanservice. A single character is, at the same time, a loli and an adult. That way you don't even need to worry with making the story advance and wait until she grows up you can have her just doing it with magic and had both in the same page.
Old 2013-03-25, 21:29   Link #2752
Old_Iron
. . .
*Author

Quote:
I mean on the fanservice. A single character is, at the same time, a loli and an adult. That way you don't even need to worry with making the story advance and wait until she grows up you can have her just doing it with magic and had both in the same page.
Ahh, I see.

Well, we had that in To-Love Ru, Negima (albeit to a lesser extent), and I believe there was a character in Ranma 1/2 that operated under the same principle. Those worked out pretty well.

I think the problem here isn't so much the kind of fanservice, but too much of it too soon. A poor execution more than anything.
Old 2013-03-25, 21:39   Link #2753
Sansker
Manus ad Ferrum

To me ViVid didn't have anywhere to go and nothing to say right out the bat. Then it went in an odd, boring, non impressive, sterile "story" fill with too many characters that act like almost the same in general and have no real interesting interactions. So everything was really going down to me and right now the story doesn't exist, the characters are bland and everything is just so boring despite the action they try to fit in.
Old 2013-03-25, 21:45   Link #2754
Takamura Mamoru
The Hawk

There may also be something about letting 10 year olds beat the shit out of each other with their bare fists... Miura is only 12, so still pretty young, but she looks rather boyish unlike Vivio and Einhart with their long hair.
Old 2013-03-25, 21:48   Link #2755
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Yeah, Vivio and Einhart certainly act the same as each other. And Corona and Rio certainly act the same as one another.

I'd go into an in-depth wall of text as to why you're utterly wrong in this regard, Sansker, but I won't. You're just gonna get mad and ask us to stop talking about it like usual.
Old 2013-03-25, 22:08   Link #2756
Old_Iron
. . .
*Author

Quote:
To me ViVid didn't have anywhere to go and nothing to say right out the bat. Then it went in an odd, boring, non impressive, sterile "story" fill with too many characters that act like almost the same in general and have no real interesting interactions. So everything was really going down to me and right now the story doesn't exist, the characters are bland and everything is just so boring despite the action they try to fit in.
Well, you're not going to find anything new or shiny for the most part in ViVid. Perhaps the only real thinking outside the box I've seen is having Vivio get completely trashed and bounced from the tournament all her friends are still blowing through. The manga is still only 40-something chapters long with 36 translated at the moment. It still has a chance to turn into something pretty good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takamura Mamoru View Post
There may also be something about letting 10 year olds beat the shit out of each other with their bare fists... Miura is only 12, so still pretty young, but she looks rather boyish unlike Vivio and Einhart with their long hair.
It's not really much different from most shounen action series in that regard. Heck, Naruto has them going out as soldiers to kill or be killed.
Old 2013-03-25, 22:57   Link #2757
Sansker
Manus ad Ferrum

Well of course ViVid is nothing new on any way you look at it but that is kind of the problem. It is so… lazy. With the story having non sense of focus over anything or anyone characters come in and out without rhyme or reason so I really know where I am going or why should I care. So is more about this manga being boring and poorly done that really I don’t think is going to get better because even if it does then: why we waste so much time on this pointless and long introduction?

And this without going in the idea that this is a weekly series passing. The manga will still be bad, it just that won’t feel so wrong when you compare a shorter run with such a long one that really moves us nowhere. As long as the manga has fanservice and action it doesn’t seems to care about characters or plot, or at least not in a good way.
Old 2013-03-25, 23:50   Link #2758
Old_Iron
. . .
*Author

Quote:
Well of course ViVid is nothing new on any way you look at it but that is kind of the problem. It is so… lazy. With the story having non sense of focus over anything or anyone characters come in and out without rhyme or reason so I really know where I am going or why should I care. So is more about this manga being boring and poorly done that really I don’t think is going to get better because even if it does then: why we waste so much time on this pointless and long introduction?
Because despite all it's faults, it sells.

Quote:
And this without going in the idea that this is a weekly series passing. The manga will still be bad, it just that won’t feel so wrong when you compare a shorter run with such a long one that really moves us nowhere. As long as the manga has fanservice and action it doesn’t seems to care about characters or plot, or at least not in a good way.
I'm going to hold out in the hopes it becomes something really impressive. I wrote off One Piece, Robotics;Notes, and half a dozen other series because I didn't like how they started. Once I actually gave them a proper shot, I loved them.

So here's hoping. =3

EDIT: And I gave them a shot because someone much wiser than I finally beat it into my head what I was missing out on.

Last edited by Old_Iron; 2013-03-25 at 23:56. Reason: Because violence.
Old_Iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-26, 00:06   Link #2759
Sansker
Manus ad Ferrum

Well it sells, I am not going to say that it doesn’t, but that doesn’t magically make the story any good as far as I know.

I actually did like how this manga started and I dislike how it is right now.
Old 2013-03-26, 00:19   Link #2760
Old_Iron
. . .
*Author

Quote:
Well it sells, I am not going to say that it doesn’t, but that doesn’t magically make the story any good as far as I know.
It doesn't. But it does fund it for more content.
Quote:
I actually did like how this manga started and I dislike how it is right now.
Perhaps let it sit for a bit and come back to it later. Let the current arc finish off and see if what comes after is worth slogging through the the tournament to get to. Not every story is going to be amazing all the way through. Unfortunately for you, ViVid hit that low point pretty early.

Tags
vivid