AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Horizon

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-11-01, 02:30   Link #1
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon - Episodes 1-4 Discussion

Welcome to the discussion thread for Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon, Episodes 1-4.

Thread Guidelines
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Spoilers or hints about future events must not be posted in this thread.
    If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message, or seek out a more appropriate thread.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if it has not aired yet.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on-topic.
  • Do not post multiple times in a row. Please edit your existing post if you wish to add additional thoughts.
Episode Thread Spoiler Policy
  • Any comment that discloses events, characters, plot or other information before it is revealed in the anime is expressly forbidden whether or not it is behind spoiler tags.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
    Please consult the AnimeSuki Spoiler Policy for more information.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a useful title!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any inappropriate spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting inappropriate spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Old 2011-11-02, 00:57   Link #2
Kayin
s c a r l e t
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to Kayin
Just finished watching the first episode. No spoiler worries here.

What exactly is the hype behind this show? (Enough to make a sub-forum anyway.) Maybe it's because I prefer more serious anime (with a touch of good comedy, like FMA), but the show seems...ridiculous. The setting makes no sense at all, and the mix of characters is...weird. The magic and weapons seems interesting, but much like the story it's completely over the top and makes no sense.

This really doesn't seem to be much more then your usual sci-fi/fantasy anime blend with a wild story that would have to work to hard to make any sense or try to be remotely interesting.

Skip.
Old 2011-11-02, 01:12   Link #3
Kunagisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayin View Post
This really doesn't seem to be much more then your usual sci-fi/fantasy anime blend with a wild story that would have to work to hard to make any sense or try to be remotely interesting.
Well yeah.

The problem lies less with Horizon and more the fact you don't like sci-fi/fantasy. Though I think episode 1-5 could've been made into a 2 hours movie intro and there would be less confusion. There is no hype for the show; SF just means there are more details for discussion. Hype would be for like Guilty Crown an Fate/Zero.

Also implying Horizon is not serious at all ... ;__;
Old 2011-11-02, 01:23   Link #4
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

What does serious show even mean? Base on my experience any show with even the tiniest faction of silliness or disbelief is liable to 'not be taken seriously' by someone out there.
Old 2011-11-02, 19:58   Link #5
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Honestly, I don't like high fantasy that has little to no comedy in it.
It makes the series a yawnfest, and will not make it interesting enough to marathon.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Old 2011-11-03, 18:37   Link #6
Kayin
s c a r l e t
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to Kayin
That's why I pointed out FMA (both series, but Brotherhood the most) which is a very good, original, and mature story - but also has good comedic moments that aren't overdone and are actually funny. It was also highly successful without every female character having water balloon breasts of various (usually large) sizes.

I actually love sci-fi and fantasy, it's all I watch to be honest. But this show just seems like one confusing cliche that makes no sense. Sci-fi or fantasy done badly is often...very bad.
Old 2011-11-03, 18:52   Link #7
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
It was also highly successful without every female character having water balloon breasts of various (usually large) sizes.
It's like you only look at screenshot and go complaining about Horizon, honestly, if this is what you think and see.

And hype? This show got a sub forum on its own. It didn't even get much attention before it's aired. Oh wait, there is a Light Novel thread that got like....2 pages until 1 eps was aired .

Either love it or hate it, I guess. If people can't accept the basic setting (like how alchemist is portrayed in FMA) and pay attention when watching, most will come out saying it's confusing and bad.
Old 2011-11-03, 20:42   Link #8
Kunagisa

I honestly think it's the boobs still (generally speaking, not directed to anyone in particular).

English-speaking audiences seemed to be conditioned by years of anime that boobs = fanservice = 1-tier lower in terms of respect. I wonder if redjuice or Hoshino Lily did the chara design we would be having flocks of followers despite confusing or not. Nobody knows wtf's going on in Penguindrum and we all still enjoy it plenty. Having repulsive character designs mean viewers are less willing to make an effort to follow the plot. By no means this is the fault of the viewers; 'tis simply a compatibility issue.

Yet, series like Akagi has the most butt ugly design in the world but has the most epic plots is still not hated. Non-fans just ignore them instead of saying it's trash. This is the part that I do not comprehend. ┐( ̄ー ̄)┌

tl;dr: stop hating boobs, they didn't murder your family etc.
Old 2011-11-03, 20:57   Link #9
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
That's why I pointed out FMA (both series, but Brotherhood the most) which is a very good, original, and mature story - but also has good comedic moments that aren't overdone and are actually funny. It was also highly successful without every female character having water balloon breasts of various (usually large) sizes.
I' assure you that there are people who thought that FMA is a silly story that doesn't follow with actual alchemy or science and a bad attempt at politics. That's why I ask what does it mean to be a serious story? Because people give any reason to not take something serious.

Btw, you're comparing a 50+ episode series that was adapted twice against one episode of a show that is just starting out and in it's developing stages.

In addition, to judge a show base on how their character looks as one of your major points is rather shallow don't you think? AND to exaggerate and say that ALL of them have large breasts when clearly a number of them are small or flatchested....

Last edited by Chaos2Frozen; 2011-11-03 at 23:28.
Old 2011-11-03, 23:23   Link #10
articuzwolf
Wolf in Sheep's Clothing

Quote:

I actually love sci-fi and fantasy, it's all I watch to be honest. But this show just seems like one confusing cliche that makes no sense. Sci-fi or fantasy done badly is often...very bad.

If I said FMA is bad? will it make the show itself bad? nope

and stop paying attention to the boobs and listen (or read in our case) to the story instead

Judging from your comment I bet you don't understand anything because your mind is always occupied by...err "Boobs"
Old 2011-11-05, 05:41   Link #11
jwai

I think the first few episodes could have set the scene better by bothering to explain the context first, instead of just jumping into the story on the assumption that people have read the light novel source material.
Old 2011-11-05, 15:19   Link #12
Kunagisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwai View Post
I think the first few episodes could have set the scene better by bothering to explain the context first, instead of just jumping into the story on the assumption that people have read the light novel source material.
Yeah, there were discussions that the anime should've done a better job adapting this for anime, though the readers had a hard time eating up Part I for the first volume too (and Part II didn't come out until a full month later ), which really meant Episode 1 to 5 should've been watched in a single sitting, but I doubt any studio has the budget to eat up 100 minutes of TV slot.
Old 2011-11-11, 10:36   Link #13
AzureWrath

So I've watched 2 episodes.....and am I suppose to understand what is going on? Terms dropping every few exchanges, random outbursts from characters, strange settings and other random things an exposition does not make......
Old 2011-11-11, 10:40   Link #14
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzureWrath View Post
So I've watched 2 episodes.....and am I suppose to understand what is going on? Terms dropping every few exchanges, random outbursts from characters, strange settings and other random things an exposition does not make......
watch the first 5 then re-watch. it will make more sense on the re-watch.
Old 2011-11-11, 18:19   Link #15
Xacual

And make sure you aren't watching Hadena's subs. You won't understand anything if you are.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Closed Thread