AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > High School DxD

Notices

Old 2012-01-08, 18:34   Link #261
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

High School DxD. First Impressions

Initially, I was indecisive whether or not to pick this show for the season, because I made my mind at selecting only four shows to watch in this winter's anime season. Nevertheless, I ended watching it as well due to after a week of inactivity in the internet.

Yuki Kaji is rising into the anime community fandom having a substantial schedule with last year's Ao no Exorcist, the ongoing Guilty Crown, and this recently started anime.

I will comment that the theme of an unfortunate boy getting killed, and later revived by a supernatural master whom always is revealed to be a girl reignites my love for previous shows like Kore wa Zombie Desu Ka? and the Princess Ressurrection OVAs.

To spice things up High School DxD offers a lot of ecchiness fan-service substantially, though those are better appreciated if you watch the Director's Cut and will be more appreciated when the Blu-Ray version of the episodes come out.

The summary runs down the following:
Spoiler:
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-08, 18:51   Link #262
Sai Feng
Yo-poko! O_O

Hmmm....

Nice sound effects for the jiggles

Trap + Ponytail + Mini-skirt + Stockings = Deadly Combo
Sai Feng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-09, 00:28   Link #263
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido View Post
Spoiler:
The summary is similar to Horizon from last season: "Stuff happen, but I am a horny joke of a protagonist... sooooo boobs and asses..." and here is the difference, since one gropes them every single episode, while the other never did so in the first one, at least
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-09, 01:29   Link #264
Nvis
Where are the good animes

Seeing all the attention, I smell a 2nd(and possible 3rd+) season.
Nvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-09, 01:44   Link #265
mangatron
worshipping the pantyhose

"Smell"? I can "see" a 2nd season, considering the pacing so far

We've only had one thing happened to the protag, and that was his circumstance that led to his (supposedly) first conversation with Rias. We've yet to have the character specific episodes, the swimsuit episode, the hot spring episode, the rated r-18 episode, the....er I mean...

There's also those BDVD specials too, so perhaps the pacing was slowed to accomodate additional seasons if this first one takes off in sales, so yeah, more boobies Akeno isn't a bad thing to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
The summary is similar to Horizon from last season: "Stuff happen, but I am a horny joke of a protagonist... sooooo boobs and asses..." and here is the difference, since one gropes them every single episode, while the other never did so in the first one, at least
Well..... at least Issei slept in the same bed as naked-Rias

Toori only slept in the same shop as Horizon. So, add to the fact Toori only touched boobies that were covered, eh I'd rather sleep in the same bed as my naked waifu than touch a random girls rack and get a retaliatory strike to my body. Well...... not that I wouldn't want that to happen to me....
mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-09, 01:56   Link #266
Nvis
Where are the good animes

^
Your avatar............................................ ...........................I liked the Akeno one you had before the anime.

My sense of smell far exceeds anything seen.
Nvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-09, 02:05   Link #267
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Quote:
Thank you very much, I only thought of two dimensions, but you added three into the mix.

Kore wa Zombie Desu Ka and Kaibutsu Oujo came into my mind, and you placed a good example with Horizon.

Hmph, even citing Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou as another example comes into mind, given that the red-haired girl in that last show mentioned went around some few episodes naked.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-09, 03:18   Link #268
mangatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvis View Post
^
Your avatar............................................ ...........................I liked the Akeno one you had before the anime.
Yeah, I really felt so bad kicking Akeno from my avatar slot.... If only she stripped!

Quote:
My sense of smell far exceeds anything seen.
So... In other words, you can smell what can't be seen.

Dog/wolf? *runs*

Quote:
Kore wa Zombie Desu Ka and Kaibutsu Oujo came into my mind, and you placed a good example with Horizon.
I'd like to throw in a chunk of Lim Dal Young's manwha to this mix *cough*

Quote:
Hmph, even citing Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou as another example comes into mind, given that the red-haired girl in that last show mentioned went around some few episodes naked.
Well, Keena (from DaiMaou) goes around naked due to her mysterious (YES mysterious, to this day I have no idea how she does it lol) ability to invisify herself but not her clothes. I still don't know where she hides her wand *ahem cough*

Man, is there a flu going around?
Old 2012-01-09, 06:37   Link #269
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

That is without a doubt THE most totally-righteous alarm-clock in recent anime.

I would happily pay a small fortune to have one!!
Old 2012-01-09, 08:16   Link #270
tsunade666

I also agree. Where the heck could I buy that clock.
Old 2012-01-09, 09:57   Link #271
zzhk
Summary Machine

Quote:
Spoiler:
Great observations!
Though I would add one more detail:
7.5. Issei's intense dying desires activate the magic circle he received earlier from a flyer (not a random occurrence) which summons Rias Gremory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvis View Post
Seeing all the attention, I smell a 2nd(and possible 3rd+) season.
Considering the source light novels have 10 volumes, with one more this month, they could easily do 4 or 5 seasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangatron View Post
Well, Keena (from DaiMaou) goes around naked due to her mysterious (YES mysterious, to this day I have no idea how she does it lol) ability to invisify herself but not her clothes. I still don't know where she hides her wand *ahem cough*

Man, is there a flu going around?
Well, Rias isn't actually going around naked.
Ignoring possibilities of intimate healing, do people really need to justify a preference for sleeping nude?

Quote:
Actually, Toori fondles the teacher's chest in the 1st episode although it was censored.

I don't really see the comparison with Horizon though, other than some viewers dismissing it as a fanservice show simply due to the busty character designs.
There's no massive detailed sci-fi setting, huge cast or diving into action before proper introductions.
High School DxD is a far more accessible and straightforward story about a normal high school boy whose life suddenly changes forever and sets off on a shounen path of getting strong and achieving his dream of harem king.

Quote:
Thank you very much, I only thought of two dimensions, but you added three into the mix.

Kore wa Zombie is actually a good comparison because Issei's heightened senses are most obvious in the dark and he suffers under bright daylight (though not to the same extent as Ayumu).
zzhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-09, 20:27   Link #272
Shimapan
Try me! <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yui Is My Wife View Post
That is without a doubt THE most totally-righteous alarm-clock in recent anime.

I would happily pay a small fortune to have one!!
Yes, interesting alarm clock... but I'm sure that pretty soon, there'll be an iPhone app that does the same XD

Quote:
And to celebrate this new barely censored ep, I release my first avatar for use to the first person that claims this: (my previous avatar is still unavailable)

On second thought, no one use this. Akeno-chan deserves my avatar space only. No one use it, okay! OR else..... I'll throw a cookie at you
Nice bounce, but fully clothed, and I already got a bra bounce. Also, they're bouncing too hectically there...
But I'm sure there's still plenty of opportunity for bounce with less clothes
Old 2012-01-09, 20:29   Link #273
Malkuth
Banned

KoreZon, Monogatari, Kaibutsu Oujo, and Shana indeed have like DxD a protagonist that can not die, and is subject to abuse from his harem. At least, in the first two those harems are composed of interesting characters, instead of just two pairs of censored assets. If one removes the undying protagonist the same troupe is present in most recent harem anime.

@zzhk: Originally, I mentioned Horizon because its and DxD's protagonists share the uncanny ability to form a harem, despite being useless jerks that talk way too much. As for Horizon's rich setting, it would have been nice if it did not take 6 hours to stitch cool, yet random ideas together through boring monologues and an army of fanboys posting explanation after explanation. Simply put, DxD through action, dialogue, and gainaxing presented a more coherent and equally rich setting within 20 minutes. Having cool ideas, rich settings, large casts, etc. is not enough, you also need the ability to narrate them in a coherent manner. As for being Horizon being inaccessible, its sales show the opposite. Like typical shounen, no one cares about settings, storytelling, etc. they just want nonsensical action, chicks, and a protagonist of their caliber

Quote:
Well..... at least Issei slept in the same bed as naked-Rias
And that's all; only slept in the same bed, like a baby with its mom
Old 2012-01-09, 20:40   Link #274
mangatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimapan View Post
Nice bounce, but fully clothed, and I already got a bra bounce. Also, they're bouncing too hectically there...
But I'm sure there's still plenty of opportunity for bounce with less clothes
So she has to show some skin, eh? This is what's driving me insane, when am I going to see her strip? Is it going to be another episode 05 thing? If she doesn't bare some skin next ep, I'm..... going to assault Koneko *hides*

Quote:
And that's all; only slept in the same bed, like a baby with its mom
Who knows, maybe he has bad sleeping habits, you know, it's not so difficult to bump into a booby or two

I for one am not a person who sleeps face down
Old 2012-01-09, 21:13   Link #275
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Them some nice breasts. I don't get why they show bare breasts and not her ass, but whatever. At least we don't have horrible censoring.

Anyway, the story was entertaining and quite funny. I didn't see the innocent girl to be an evil whatever she is. Reminds me of another series that did it wonderfully at the end of the series.
Old 2012-01-09, 21:54   Link #276
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author

Grr, if I was Issei, I'd want to see 'Yuuma-chan' again just so I could repay the favor of being 'unexpectedly penetrated'...
Old 2012-01-09, 22:02   Link #277
Malkuth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
I didn't see the innocent girl to be an evil whatever she is. Reminds me of another series that did it wonderfully at the end of the series.
Eh!? Seriously, you're the No.3 virgin joke in high school, and a beautiful random girl confesses her love out of the blue, and you expect her not to be a succubus or Yuno
Old 2012-01-09, 22:04   Link #278
Znail

Quote:
Who knows, maybe he has bad sleeping habits, you know, it's not so difficult to bump into a booby or two

I for one am not a person who sleeps face down
Not him, but...
Spoiler for Rias sleeping habits:
Znail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-09, 22:18   Link #279
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Eh!? Seriously, you're the No.3 virgin joke in high school, and a beautiful random girl confesses her love out of the blue, and you expect her not to be a succubus or Yuno
I didn't think she was evil. I figured she was in league with the red-head or something. In my defense, the bouncing breasts restricts my mental capability.
Old 2012-01-09, 22:26   Link #280
Malkuth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
I didn't think she was evil. I figured she was in league with the red-head or something. In my defense, the bouncing breasts restricts my mental capability.
That's why lolicons are so clever

Tags
comedy, ecchi, fantasy, harem, romance, shounen