AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2005-12-19, 09:07   Link #1
devilcoelhodog

MEDUSA 0.1.2.0 + ChronoSub

I try very hard to find Medusa Subtitling Station around internet, but without success.

It's very strange not to find any trace about such program outside.

I think that people of community must have a place to find these prog and be able to test it, comparing with many other programs around the subtitling business.

But, finally... I got it !!

Follow the link above:

---> http://rapidshare.de/files/9184944/M...1.2.0.rar.html

And, for the new project that replace the old Medusa, called ChronoSub, follows the link too:

--> http://sourceforge.net/projects/medusa/

--> http://sourceforge.net/project/show...group_id=104310

PS: do a virus check before open the files (just in case), ok?

I hope you enjoy!

devil (johner)
devilcoelhodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-26, 21:17   Link #2
ArchMageZeratuL
Aegisub dev
*IT Support

I found that ChronoSub is actually much worse than Medusa, somehow..... -_-
ArchMageZeratuL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-26, 23:21   Link #3
Itachikun
Animesuki's Janitor

Send a message via AIM to Itachikun Send a message via MSN to Itachikun
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchMageZeratuL
I found that ChronoSub is actually much worse than Medusa, somehow..... -_-
Actually, to be honest, I do too. I first tried out Medusa and loved it, then people stated that Chronosub was the father of Medusa, so I thought it was good. It wasnt.

I still use Medusa till now, also Aegisub.
________
ALASKA MEDICAL MARIJUANA

Last edited by Itachikun; 2011-02-15 at 07:46.
Itachikun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-27, 00:12   Link #4
getfresh
done
*Fansubber

I still use ssa + subresync and vdub for bleed scene timing. Most other people I know use sabbu. No one I know uses medusa except for the shifting by selection for ass files since ssa doesn't process them. Most people I know dislike aegisub and say it's only good for karaoke.
getfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-27, 00:25   Link #5
Itachikun
Animesuki's Janitor

I use Medusa for everything, I dunno. Its just that when I time, Im either very skilled or lucky to get like 0.01 sec off, either scene bleed or sync off. I also use it for karoake.

I would probably start to use Aegisub when it has the click and point like Medusa, but Aegisub is a good tool for typesetters. I know lots of people say Sabbu is good for timing, but I just never got it.
________
Macintosh Games

Last edited by Itachikun; 2011-02-15 at 07:47.
Old 2005-12-27, 00:27   Link #6
getfresh
done
*Fansubber

like I said I know of no tsers using aegi, cause tsers typeset in notepad or ultraedit32 with a color grabber and vdub
Old 2005-12-27, 00:55   Link #7
Sylf
翻訳家わなびぃ
*Fansubber

Send a message via MSN to Sylf Send a message via Yahoo to Sylf
I actually used aegisub to typeset about 3 or 4 eps worth of stuff. I ended up going back to plain text editor. (In my case, that text editor happens to be Scite.)
Sylf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-27, 01:24   Link #8
getfresh
done
*Fansubber

never heard of scite, mind sending me a version on irc or is it pay per use ^^;;
Old 2005-12-27, 01:39   Link #9
Sylf
翻訳家わなびぃ
*Fansubber

Send a message via MSN to Sylf Send a message via Yahoo to Sylf
Scite is opensource, and it's free.
http://gisdeveloper.tripod.com/scite.html is the version of installer/build I use. I really don't know if it'll give ANY advantage over ultraedit. I just recently switched to it from TextPad because of better compatible unicode support, and better compatibility with vsfilter. (Old VobSub/TextFilter plugins for vdub didn't have issues with TextPad... Oh well.)
Sylf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-27, 01:56   Link #10
getfresh
done
*Fansubber

ultraedit has no uni issues as far as I've seen and it just saving in .txt/.ass/.ssa/etc if you like. I only use things like that for mass amounts of code though. Mainly I still use good old notepad for norm TSing like signs and styles.
Old 2005-12-27, 01:57   Link #11
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itachikun
I use Medusa for everything, I dunno. Its just that when I time, Im either very skilled or lucky to get like 0.01 sec off, either scene bleed or sync off. I also use it for karoake.
That sounds like DirectShow seeking inaccuracies or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itachikun
I would probably start to use Aegisub when it has the click and point like Medusa, but Aegisub is a good tool for typesetters. I know lots of people say Sabbu is good for timing, but I just never got it.
You mean point-and-click to set start/end times? Aegisub has that. It's called "SSA timing mode". It's been slightly weird in the past but it's been fixed in 1.07.

Quote:
Originally Posted by getfresh
like I said I know of no tsers using aegi, cause tsers typeset in notepad or ultraedit32 with a color grabber and vdub
This TSer doesn't. Aegisub > * for TSing, especially when you never needed to unlearn TSing with a texteditor and vdub (no, this doesn't mean I'm a newb at TS'ing).

BTW, just for the record, I don't dislike Aegisub IMHO it's better than both Medusa and Sabbu - there's not much they do that Aegisub doesn't do, and in many cases do better.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-27, 02:18   Link #12
getfresh
done
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff
This TSer doesn't. Aegisub > * for TSing, especially when you never needed to unlearn TSing with a texteditor and vdub (no, this doesn't mean I'm a newb at TS'ing).
sorry f'd up the qoute ;p

What I was telling you was what most of the TSers with the most experiance to date use. Pointing and clicking takes longer then just coding or changing a letter here and there if you are a tser with alot of experiance. This is not an ego move so don't take it wrong, but even pro afxers use scripts to do alot of their work. Ask around to the people you know with 3 yrs exp and ask em if they know positions by heart, alpha codes, colors, scaling, and rotations. I bet they will all say yes. Learning and remembering all those is what seperates the great from the ok. People who use nothing but auto scripters and "dumby" tools never get a great grasp of how the coding can be manipulated and what bugs you can use to your advantage. I will always push texteditor tsing since it is the bread and butter. ^_^
Old 2005-12-27, 02:19   Link #13
Itachikun
Animesuki's Janitor

Ya, I havent updated my Aegisub. Hopefully tonight, then I will check it out.
________
Gx1

Last edited by Itachikun; 2011-02-15 at 07:47.
Old 2005-12-27, 02:45   Link #14
deathbygirl

I was "raised" into typesetting from the old text editor and virtualdub methodology, but have used AegiSub to handle work since itslate alpha days. I find it a lot more convenient, since I don't have to sift through multiple applications to preview an effect and fix it through another. You can cite that I'm a "noob" at typesetting and I should have no say among the "elite" typesetters that have been working in the "business" for a fair number of years, and you wouldn't be far off. I don't claim to be very good (but IMO I don't think I'm bad D: ), and I only have a couple months experience on hand. But it sounds silly to denounce a program when it removes the necessity of "[memorizing] positions by heart, alpha codes, colors, scaling, and rotations," especially when it saves you a lot of time and effort. Have I memorized positions, alpha codes, colors, scaling, and rotations? To a certain degree, yeah, but not as well as some other talented individuals out there. It's not as if AegiSub, Medusa, ChronoSub, SSAtool, or other programs meant to aid the typesetting process make it any easier, in terms of knowing how to create the effects needed to be displayed on-screen through the various commands; they're simply there to make life a little easier on the typesetter, and as far as my personal experience has displayed, it's done just that.

On another point, I do agree that pointing and clicking to arrange a position takes longer than actually just punching in the values of the coordinates (since the "perfect" position is not nailed too often without manual adjusting needed), but knowing the basic area and fine-tuning the values is helpful at the very least, IMHO.
deathbygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-27, 03:06   Link #15
Draders
... :D

Chrono sub is just to unfinished to be used. I myself use medusa for all timing including karaoke, and aegisub for typesetting. I use sabbu for shifting since it keeps blank lines and is fastest with large files.
Draders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-27, 03:20   Link #16
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Who said that you have to use the point-and-click approach just because you use Aegisub? The point-and-click positioning is useful for doing a rough placement of a sign, but after that it's just all the normal typing. I usually don't use the color dialogues (except the new color picker one) either - typing in the overrides by hand is easier. I mostly use Aegisub for the incredible convenience of two key combinations: ctrl-3 and ctrl-4 (that's "set line start to current frame" and "set line end to current frame" for those of you who doesn't use it). If there's one aspect of TS'ing that Aegisub is really, really good for, it's frame-by-frame'ing. The only thing that's missing is a "duplicate line" hotkey... Then Aegisub has a bunch of other nice features that makes life as a TS easier, but that's another story.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-27, 03:36   Link #17
Itachikun
Animesuki's Janitor

You havent seen me time. I swear, Im freaking lucky. When I timed an episode, using Medusa, its mostly point and click. I swear, 92% of the script was perfect....I have a good ear.

Well, depends on my mood more.
________
OREGON MEDICAL MARIJUANA

Last edited by Itachikun; 2011-02-15 at 07:48.
Old 2005-12-27, 07:57   Link #18
Schneizel
uwu
*Fansubber

What the hell is wrong with you people... use Notepad. \o\
Schneizel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-27, 15:47   Link #19
el
Slave to the D:

The whole fun of typesetting is to sit there forever guessing \pos positions, then realising you entered the wrong script resolution so you have to do them all again because you deleted them and forgot what position they were in <_<
el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-27, 16:01   Link #20
jfs
Aegisub dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by erusupaasu
The whole fun of typesetting is to sit there forever guessing \pos positions, then realising you entered the wrong script resolution so you have to do them all again because you deleted them and forgot what position they were in <_<
Good thing Aegisub can handle that too. Check out the "Resample Resolution" function in newer versions.

Oh well this thread is getting majorly offtopic, considering it's supposed to be about Medusa/ChronoSub :P

Aegisub developer [ Forum | Manual | Feature requests | Bug reports | IRC ]
Don't ask for: More VSFilter changes (I won't), karaoke effects, help in PM's
jfs is offline   Reply With Quote