AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-04-18, 01:56   Link #1
wawbee

Sailor Moon and Sailor Moon R (series 1 & 2)

xxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by wawbee; 2010-08-28 at 20:32.
wawbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-18, 02:32   Link #2
DrWho2002
Fushigi Mystery!! @_@

No. You must still buy the ADV sets even though they are no longer being produced. Since they exist, one is obligated to get those no matter how rare or obscure it becomes. It does not become an excuse to pirate the episodes from them.
DrWho2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-18, 02:55   Link #3
RichMan
????

yo wawbee. I would help you out, but right now the only pirated eps you can find of SailorMoon seasons 1 and 2 are in crappy rm format.

I still haven't bought the season 2 dvd box set yet, it would be nice if you guys provided those episodes so I wouldn't have to spend $100 of my own money.(besides, I'm saving up to buy a Zeta Gundam box set)
RichMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-18, 03:09   Link #4
Gold_Rogers
Famous Dead Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWho2002
No. You must still buy the ADV sets even though they are no longer being produced. Since they exist, one is obligated to get those no matter how rare or obscure it becomes. It does not become an excuse to pirate the episodes from them.
What happens once the current supply runs out?

Oh, and as a side note I think Right Stuf had em on special sale (GOGO CHECK! It may still be there!).
Gold_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-18, 04:58   Link #5
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Technically, since the license ran out, we could start listing fansubs again. Problem
is that most "fansubs" would likely be rips of the DVDs that were released. In any case
at the present moment the license has just ran out, and it should be no problem to
find the DVDs if you look for them.
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-18, 07:48   Link #6
Suikun

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDpro
Technically, since the license ran out, we could start listing fansubs again. Problem
is that most "fansubs" would likely be rips of the DVDs that were released. In any case
at the present moment the license has just ran out, and it should be no problem to
In a year or so from now fansubs may be needed to see this great series, but as it is not only can you find the boxsets pretty easily, sites like www.rightstuf.com have them for about $50 each - that's like bootleg prices for the official sets! Of course... the quality of ADV's sets aren't much better than bootlegs thanks to the masters they recieved from DiC... but I digress...
Suikun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-18, 11:36   Link #7
DrWho2002
Fushigi Mystery!! @_@

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold_Rogers
What happens once the current supply runs out?
Then one becomes SOL, and hopes that someone sells their copy for someone else to buy. As I said, as long as the physical copies exist, one is obligated to get those NO MATTER HOW HARD IT GETS. Someone somewhere is always selling something, so all you have to be is patient. However, due to the nature of the internet, patience always seems to be in short supply...
Old 2004-04-18, 13:06   Link #8
DekaMaster
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDpro

Then also Technically you could also list stuff produced by genon USA but not licsened by them.
DekaMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-18, 14:10   Link #9
RichMan
????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suikun
Of course... the quality of ADV's sets aren't much better than bootlegs thanks to the masters they recieved from DiC... but I digress...
I got the Season 1 box. Yeah, I agree with you. The video quality looks alright, but the audio quality is bad. I had to crank up my stereo high to hear it well.
RichMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-18, 22:56   Link #10
Garylisk
Baka Neko!
*Fansubber

Send a message via ICQ to Garylisk Send a message via AIM to Garylisk Send a message via MSN to Garylisk Send a message via Yahoo to Garylisk
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMan
I got the Season 1 box. Yeah, I agree with you. The video quality looks alright, but the audio quality is bad. I had to crank up my stereo high to hear it well.
I have season 1 fansubs from the group "Studio Chikashitsu" - The audio is much the same.

That's as good as it gets.
Garylisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-19, 03:01   Link #11
Myme

Quote:
Then one becomes SOL, and hopes that someone sells their copy for someone else to buy. As I said, as long as the physical copies exist, one is obligated to get those NO MATTER HOW HARD IT GETS. Someone somewhere is always selling something, so all you have to be is patient. However, due to the nature of the internet, patience always seems to be in short supply...
Well if you're going to be like that, you could say the same about unlicensed anime (or should I say, anime that has never been licensed).

It's just as illegal to download fansubs of unlicensed anime as it is of licensed anime. It's also possible to obtain japanese versions of unlicensed anime that you can apply your own subtitles to, so using your logic, you have to do that.

There is an international copyright law.

You contradict yourself.

First you say, you can download fansubs of unlicensed anime. Well SailorMoon (the first two seasons) has become unlicensed.

Then you say you can't download anime that is obtainable. Well you can obtain any anime and get some subtitles and apply them.

So which is it?

Oh I get it! It's okay to hurt Japanese stores by not buying the product, but it's not okay to hurt the American stores by not buying the product.

That's how it is?

Give me a good reply to this, I'm looking forward to seeing what you say.
Myme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-19, 03:28   Link #12
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garylisk
I have season 1 fansubs from the group "Studio Chikashitsu" - The audio is much the same.

Those are nice. I have the VHS subs by Studio Chikashitsu also. My video quality is just about one generation too many, but the subbing job they did is absolutely first rate. If you want to do for Sailor Moon and Sailor Moon R with Chikashitsu's subs what you did for Sailor Stars I would be very happy. Unfortunately the only encodes for episodes 1-89 on the net right now are rips of ADV's DVDs and we absolutely will not list that.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-19, 10:04   Link #13
DrWho2002
Fushigi Mystery!! @_@

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myme
Well if you're going to be like that, you could say the same about unlicensed anime (or should I say, anime that has never been licensed).

It's just as illegal to download fansubs of unlicensed anime as it is of licensed anime. It's also possible to obtain japanese versions of unlicensed anime that you can apply your own subtitles to, so using your logic, you have to do that.

There is an international copyright law.

You contradict yourself.

First you say, you can download fansubs of unlicensed anime. Well SailorMoon (the first two seasons) has become unlicensed.

Then you say you can't download anime that is obtainable. Well you can obtain any anime and get some subtitles and apply them.

So which is it?

Oh I get it! It's okay to hurt Japanese stores by not buying the product, but it's not okay to hurt the American stores by not buying the product.

That's how it is?

Give me a good reply to this, I'm looking forward to seeing what you say.
Not once in any of my posts here in this thread did I say "I can dload fansubs of unlicensed anime". Don't put words in my mouth. Ideally what should be done is that people get R2 releases from Japan and put their own subs on it and watch it that way. But to expect everyone to do that is a pipe dream.
Old 2004-04-19, 10:59   Link #14
Suikun

Quote:
Not once in any of my posts here in this thread did I say "I can dload fansubs of unlicensed anime". Don't put words in my mouth. Ideally what should be done is that people get R2 releases from Japan and put their own subs on it and watch it that way. But to expect everyone to do that is a pipe dream.
To be real technical, the ideal way to go is to buy the R2's and watch them as is. To put your own subs on there would involve copying the video from the DVD source onto the material that would contain the subtitles overlayed... and any form of copying of copyrighted material is a no-no, regardless of purposes...

So, ideally, everyone should just speak Japanese, buy the R2's, and watch them as is, with no modifications needed.
Old 2004-04-19, 12:15   Link #15
microlith

Send a message via AIM to microlith
and any form of copying of copyrighted material is a no-no, regardless of purposes

Not true, so long as you keep the copies to yourself. You can (per fair use) copy the dvd to your hard drive, your pda, and play it in your dvd player. You can't put that copy up on a P2P service and expect not to get in trouble though.
microlith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-19, 12:23   Link #16
Suikun

Quote:
Originally Posted by microlith
and any form of copying of copyrighted material is a no-no, regardless of purposes

Not true, so long as you keep the copies to yourself. You can (per fair use) copy the dvd to your hard drive, your pda, and play it in your dvd player. You can't put that copy up on a P2P service and expect not to get in trouble though.
Really? With video games, that's always been a controversial thing - many say having a "backup" if you own the game is fine. I've always argued that since the manuals of most games say that backups "aren't necessary" and "are unauthorized" it meant that any form of copying was bad... and I applied those same thoughts to DVDs and movies.
Old 2004-04-19, 14:00   Link #17
linuxguru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garylisk

You must have a bad copy. The Studio Chikashitsu fansubs were made from the laser discs which had much better audio. There's no reason the DVD audio had to be so bad.
linuxguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-19, 14:54   Link #18
Suikun

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxguru
You must have a bad copy. The Studio Chikashitsu fansubs were made from the laser discs which had much better audio. There's no reason the DVD audio had to be so bad.
Other than the masters ADV used were all they had access to. DiC's masters got pretty messed up, and to get new masters (and correct me if I'm wrong here) would involve waiting for the rights to expire and reordering new masters from Toei. Otherwise, they had no masters that they could (legally) use.

And since now it seems Toei doesn't want Sailor Moon to exist in the US anymore, the possibility of ADV, or anyone, getting decent masters from Toei has declined to nothing.
Old 2004-04-19, 21:07   Link #19
Innotech

Ill give you an example of how shitty this situation can get in a couple years. Ive dealt with a discontinued item, only it was a diecast car model. a Mclaren F1, in 1:18 scale that used to cost 24.95 is now selling secondhand for upwards of $100. I got extremely lucky and found one for 60, so I snatched it up but it goes to show that discontinued items like this boxset will only go up in value, not down. Buy it now or youll never want to buy it later. sometimes I hate this method of free enterprise. inflation of collectible worth is lame.
Innotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-20, 02:41   Link #20
DrWho2002
Fushigi Mystery!! @_@

But that's what makes it collectible.

Tags
drama, magical girl, romance