Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2009-09-25, 06:56   Link #21
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Best comedy: Full Metal Panic: Fumoffu
Best parody: Full Metal Panic: Fumoffu
Best satire/gag: Full Metal Panic: Fumoffu (yes, not sure if it qualifies in the all three categories but can't bothered to think which is satire and which is not).

Best drama: Monster

Best swordfight action: no vote
Best gunfight action: Noir
Best martial arts action: no vote
Best man/monster pairing action (ghosts, demons, summons): Er, Mai HiME qualifies, maybe?
Best adventure (something that includes a journey): The Twelve Kingdoms

Best super robots:
Best realistic robots: Macross Zero
Best space opera: Cowboy Bebop
Best mecha overall: Macross Zero

Best kodomo/mina (for kids or all ages) - beats me
Best toy/game promoting (cards, boards, videogames) - ditto

Best slice of life (no restriction to setting) - Nodame Cantabile
Best romance (no restriction to setting) - Nodame Cantabile
Best mahou shoujo/shounen - Mai HiME
Best shoujo overall - as if I care which is classified as shoujo. If we count josei then Nodame Cantabile

Best steampunk - Last Exile
Best cyberpunk - Ghost in The Shell:SAC
Best science fiction overall - Simoun

Best sword and sorcery fantasy - Slayers
Best epic fantasy (oriental included) - er, what's the difference to the above category?
Best dark fantasy (oriental included) - enough with the subcategories...

Best harem/ecchi - does Kure-nai count?
Best shounen ai/yaoi - N/A. Unless Gundam SEED counts.
Best shoujo ai/yuri - Simoun
Best hentai - N/A.

Best mystery/detective - Monster
Best thriller - Monster
Best horror - Monster
Best gore/splatter - Higurashi no Naku Koro ni
Best psychological/dementia - Monster

Best sports - Shion no Ou
Best cooking - Yakitate Japan!
Best gambling - N/A

Best visual novel adaptation - Higurashi no Naku koro ni
Best light novel adaptation - Maria-sama ga Miteru
Best game adaptation - N/A

(what about non-light novel adaptations or manga adaptations?)

Best historical (in terms of realism) - pointless category

Matrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-25, 11:28   Link #22
4Tran

Addendum:

Best parody - Utena

Best satire/gag - Azumanga Daioh
The best comedy has the best gags as well.

Best adventure (something that includes a journey) - Twelve Kingdoms

The sheer power of the imagery of the wagon wheel in the ED is all but unbeatable, even compared to gems like Spice and Wolf and Kino's Journey.

-----------------

Best mecha overall - SDF Macross
Even after twenty-five years, it's hard to come up with any other mecha show that can compare with its strong points.

Best shoujo overall - Utena
While I like Full Moon o Sagashite more, Utena is the quintessential distillation of all that is shoujo, and it's now the standard to which other shows are compared to.

Best science fiction overall - Noein
There are better shows out there that have science fiction in them, but none that are particularly science fictional. It's not hard science by any stretch of the imagination, but it definitely has its moments. Other shows I'd put in this category are Planetes, Rocket Girls and Starship Operators.

-----------------

Best thriller - Perfect Blue
Best psychological/dementia - Perfect Blue
As before, Kon Satoshi is the best there is at this kind of thing.

-----------------

Best sports - Hikaru no Go
I'm not a fan of sports anime in general, but Hikago caputres the essence of sports very very well.

Best cooking - abstain
Best gambling - abstain

Lack of exposure to these sub-genres.

-----------------

Best visual novel adaptation - Kimi ga Nozomu Eien
It captures drama the way few other shows can, and it does so by paring the original game to its essential conflict rather than trying to transfer all of the elements. The end result is a tight story that works on a visceral level. The only other adaptation that manages to do this is probably Canvas 2, and it was nowhere nearly as successful. Heck, even the Kiminozo OVA failed at pulling it off.

Best light novel adaptation - Twelve Kingdoms
It's interesting in that it accomplishes something that novels tend to be good at, but anime generally are poor at - it does a very good job of establishing its setting as a real place. Most shows only use their settings as a framing mechanism for their plots and characters. Crest of the Stars is another novel adaptation that does this very well.

Best game adaptation - abstain
I can't think of any that are exceptional.

Best historical - Rose of Versaille
While Emma - A Victorian Romance is technically more accurate, it also doesn't try to capture historical events. Almost all recent historical shows insert fantasy elements (Chevalier d'Eon being a good example) so they don't work nearly as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Is no one old enough to remember Space Battleship Yamato?
I've been watching Yamato off and on, and its influence on subsequent shows is undoubtedly very strong. However, it's also been superseded at just about everying by other shows, and many of its story elements are now out of fashion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Best shoujo overall - Saiunkoku Monogatari (actually it's josei)
Aside: is it really that good? The first season was pretty decent, but I haven't watched any of the second one.

Quote:
I have a hard time discriminating between "satire" and "parody" (NHK?)
While a lot of satire is made using parody, they're not the same thing at all. Satire is supposed to be about pointing out the foibles of aspects of society, while parody is an allusive work designed to make fun of, or comment upon its subject. Swift's "A Modest Proposal" is a good example of satire without being particularly parodic. Welcome to the NHK and Kino's Journey have strong satirical elements, and even Kurenai has it to some degree.

Quote:
differentiating between an "epic" fantasy and a "swords and sorcery" fantasy. Twelve Kingdoms is both of these, for instance. Can you name an S&S fantasy that's not "epic?"
It's admittedly rare in the most unabashedly fantasy anime, but there are lots of smaller-scaled anime that qualify as fantasy without being so obvious about it - shows like Basilisk or Blade of the Immortal.

Quote:
Remarkably I can't really identify a romance. Many shows I like have strong romantic components -- Nodame, Saiunkoku, REC, Toshokan Sensou, and NHK to name a few -- but romance isn't really the main focus of any of these shows. I don't watch ecchi, harem, or eroge adaptations so I can't judge any of those for romance.
I can't think of too many good anime romances out there either, and you're not missing much from the genres you don't watch. Generally, you'll find better romances in shoujo/josei works than in male-oriented material. One good example that you might want to give a try is Emma - A Victorian Romance. It's a romance through and through, it pays a huge amount of attention to detail, and it's made by one of the best anime production teams (as opposed to studios) out there.
Old 2009-09-25, 14:16   Link #23
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrim View Post
Best satire/gag: Full Metal Panic: Fumoffu (yes, not sure if it qualifies in the all three categories but can't bothered to think which is satire and which is not).
I would think Fumoffu fits best under the category of slapstick whereas parody would be something more like Hayate No Gotoku or Sora Kake Girl. Fumoffu doesn't strike me as the least bit satirical but I do think it qualifies as a slapstick gag comedy. Just since you seemed to be asking around.

Anyway I don't think the whole satire/gag thing works. The two seem completely seperate in my mind because satire generally requires you to be fairly clever and to put some thought into what you are doing whereas gag can be as simple as coarse toilet humour in the long run and still qualify. Needless to say I put SD Gundam in under the gag category since it's pretty silly all things considered.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-25, 16:03   Link #24
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Best comedy: Azumanga Daioh
Best parody : Detroit Metal City
Best satire/gag: Detroit Metal City

Best drama: Monster

Best swordfight action: Sword of the Stranger
Best gunfight action: Black Lagoon
Best martial arts action: Air Master (it also did a good job going against the girl fighting genre tropes)
Best man/monster pairing action (ghosts, demons, summons): JoJo's Bizarre Adventures (Well, Stands are TECHNICALLY spiritual summons)
Best adventure (something that includes a journey): Record of Lodoss War OAVs (The growth of Parn at the core of the tale. Most successful D&D promotion to date)

Best super robots: UFO Grendizer
Best realistic robots: Patlabor
Best space opera: Macross
Best mecha overall: Macross

Best kodomo/mina (for kids or all ages): One Piece?
Best toy/game promoting (cards, boards, videogames): Gungrave

Best slice of life (no restriction to setting): Aria
Best romance (no restriction to setting): Clannad AS
Best mahou shoujo/shounen: Nanoha A's
Best shoujo overall: I can't think of any.

Best steampunk: Trigun
Best cyberpunk: Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex
Best science fiction overall: Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex + The 2nd Gig

Best sword and sorcery fantasy: Berserk
Best epic fantasy (oriental included): Record of Lodoss War
Best dark fantasy (oriental included): Berserk

Best harem/ecchi: Golden Boy (EDIT: What differenciate Golden Boy from others is that girls does NOT fall for Kintaro on sight JUST BECAUSE HE IS A NICE GUY. They did because Kintaro EARNED it through his deeds!)
Best shounen ai/yaoi: Don't watch any
Best shoujo ai/yuri: Marimite
Best hentai: This one is hard to do. What define a good hentai? Pretty drawing? "Cinematography" of the scenes? How plausible or not are the situations?

Best mystery/detective: Death Note
Best thriller: Perfect Blue
Best horror: Kara no Kyoukai
Best gore/splatter: Kurozuka When it was gore, it was also compelling.
Best psychological/dementia: Paranoia Agent

Best sports: N/A, I grew weary of the genre.
Best cooking: Yakitate Japan
Best gambling: Don't watch any. If I did, I can't really remember.

Best visual novel adaptation: Clannad
Best light novel adaptation: Kara no Kyoukai, I am not even certain that the novels count as LN.
Best game adaptation: Gungrave

Best historical (in terms of realism): Rose of Versailles

EDIT:

What differenciate Sword & Sorcery from epic fantasy is the scope of the conflicts in the work of fiction. Lord of the Rings and Lodoss are epic fantasy, the danger is clear and it threaten the country, the world. In Conan the Barbarian & Berserk, the conflicts happens on a more personal level, and the fate of the world comes second, even if they can affect it, they can only affect it on the small scale.

Last edited by Sheba; 2009-10-02 at 04:34. Reason: changed some due to misunderstanding
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-27, 16:49   Link #25
Stealther

I think you are missing best josei, seinen, contemporary fantasy, cast and story (OK, the last two aren't genres per se).

To answer the question of Saiunkoku Monogatari, the sequel is a little better, if only because you know to not expect too much. The story continues and grows more complex. The tone doesn't go all unserious as much as it did in first, and I think the gay tendencies are less (distracting?) too. Still, it could be a lot better given the source material it has.

Last edited by Stealther; 2009-09-27 at 17:01.
Stealther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-27, 21:54   Link #26
Kytherno
12th Supernova

Best comedy: One Piece. Mainly an action Anime, it still makes you laugh through every episode, some to where you cry from laughing so much.

Best adventure: If one piece can go here again...

Best realistic robots: Code Geass. The machines were set to look like a pretty big human, and some with unique features.

Best toy/game promoting: Yu-Gi-OH

Best slice of life: Welcome to the N.H.K.

Best psychological/dementia: Code Geass R2. R2 in particular, because of how everything seemed to come together, and where minds were really blown with all of the psychological ways they talked, communicated, and strategized.

Best game adaptation: One Piece Unlimited Adventure. Although I haven't played many Anime games, this game gave me over 70+ hours of gameplay. The sequel was a bit unbalanced...
Kytherno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-27, 23:19   Link #27
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by roriconfan View Post
It doesn't. Cero-chan was just support. Find something else.

Nadesico does not apply. Gundam does up to a point.

Crayon Shin Chan applies just fine.

Let's stick with Twelve Kingdoms. Edit out the other one.
Well I was talking about the card so I think it fits in, and Nadesico isn't exactly super (while it might have lot of super robot reference but more of a real than a super). And I don't know Gurren Lagann, while might be a sci-fi, it feels and seems like more fantasy.
Old 2009-09-29, 18:15   Link #28
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kytherno View Post
Best realistic robots: Code Geass. The machines were set to look like a pretty big human, and some with unique features.
This option is invalid. Code Geass is almost entirely super.

Quote:
Best psychological/dementia: Code Geass R2. R2 in particular, because of how everything seemed to come together, and where minds were really blown with all of the psychological ways they talked, communicated, and strategized.
This is invalid too as the series was hardly serious or demental.

Quote:
Best game adaptation: One Piece Unlimited Adventure. Although I haven't played many Anime games, this game gave me over 70+ hours of gameplay. The sequel was a bit unbalanced...
Invalid yet again as we are talking about game to anime and not anime to game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
Well I was talking about the card so I think it fits in
If you put it like that, then it fits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
And I don't know Gurren Lagann, while might be a sci-fi, it feels and seems like more fantasy.
Super robots and fantasy have trivial differences.

///////////////////////

On other news, as the month ends I will post tommorow the results of all titles given so far. Some categories have clear winners while others still need more feedback.
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-29, 19:13   Link #29
Kytherno
12th Supernova

Quote:

///////////////////////

On other news, as the month ends I will post tommorow the results of all titles given so far. Some categories have clear winners while others still need more feedback.
Sheesh, talking about pooping a party..

Anyways, I'd change my One Piece: UA vote to Disgaea, cause I think the game came first.
Kytherno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-30, 15:14   Link #30
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:

///////////////////////

Uhhh...you realize when you ask people for their favourites that all bets are kind of off. Let's try not to let your bitterness towards certain series get in the way of this shall we?

If you don't like certain opinions then don't open a whole new thread to ask for them in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
seriously? you're going to analyze and scrutinize everyone's lists? haha. gl hf.
Yeah really. I kind of regret bothering to post in this thread and look forward to it's expedient demise at this point. It can't last much longer before being locked at the rate it's going.
Old 2009-09-30, 16:28   Link #31
Ansalem
Speaker

Quote:
Code Geass has a large amount of mecha, including ones used by main characters for significant portions of the series, that were not super mecha. Even the three mecha (from R1) that I assume you're referring to as super mecha took significant damage and needed repairs. I would definitely call this a real mecha show.

I also fail to see what you're trying to accomplish in what is essentially a "list" thread by flatly denouncing choices as incorrect. Even if you don't think something belongs, your comments seem rudely worded and appear to be discouraging potential posters.
Ansalem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-30, 17:44   Link #32
roriconfan
Banned

Ok then I will keep those options as given.
Old 2009-09-30, 18:23   Link #33
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Ok then I will keep those options as given.
I wasn't aware that it was your choice.
Old 2009-09-30, 20:12   Link #34
roriconfan
Banned

These are the candidates so far. Some categories show no clear picture, some have solid winners.
If the topic is not locked, more members are free to vote.

Best comedy:
Cromartie High School (roriconfan)
Azumanga Daioh (4Tran) (ddwkc) (Sheba)
Skip Beat (Rawgers)
Crayon Shin Chan (Terrestrial Dream)
Nodame Cantabile (SeijiSensei)
Jungle wa Itsumo Hale nochi Guu (James0246)
Lucky Star (Nochgo)
Ping Pong Club (Kaioshin Sama)
Full Metal Panic: Fumoffu (Matrim)
One Piece (Kytherno)

Best parody:
Excel Saga (roriconfan) (James0246)
Revolutionary Girl Utena (4Tran)
Detroit Metal City (ddwkc) (Sheba)
Abenobashi Magical Shopping Arcade (SeijiSensei)
Keroro Gunsou (Kaioshin Sama)

Best satire/gag:
Sayonara Zetsoubu Sensei (roriconfan) (ddwkc) (Nochgo)
Azumanga Daioh (4Tran)
Oh! Edo Rocket (SeijiSensei)
Mahoujin Guru Guru (James0246)
SD Gundam (Kaioshin Sama)
Detroit Metal City (Sheba)

Best drama:
Grave of the Fireflies (roriconfan)
Twelve Kingdoms (4Tran)
Monster (Rawgers) (Terrestrial Dream) (SeijiSensei) (James0246) (Kaioshin Sama) (Matrim) (Sheba)
Only Yesterday (ddwkc)

Best swordfight action:
Serei no Moribito (roriconfan) (4Tran) (SeijiSensei) (James0246)
Sword of the Stranger (Rawgers) (Sheba)
Rurouni Kenshin (ddwkc) (Terrestrial Dream)
Samurai Champloo (Nochgo)
The Vision of Escaflowne (Kaioshin Sama)

Best gunfight action:
Black Lagoon (roriconfan) (Rawgers) (ddwkc) (Terrestrial Dream) (Kaioshin Sama) (Sheba)
Noir (Nochgo) (Matrim)

Best martial arts action:
King of Fighters Another Day (roriconfan)
Samurai Champloo (Rawgers) (ddwkc)
History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi (Terrestrial Dream)
Rurouni Kenshin (Nochgo)
G Gundam (Kaioshin Sama)
Air Master (Sheba)

Best man/monster pairing action (ghosts, demons, summons):
Digimon (roriconfan)
My Hime (4Tran) (Matrim)
Natsume Yuujinchou (Rawgers) (SeijiSensei)
Digimon 1st season. (ddwkc)
Card Captor Sakura (Terrestrial Dream)
Yu Yu Hakusho (Kaioshin Sama)
JoJo's Bizarre Adventures (Sheba)

Best adventure:
Full Metal Alchemist (roriconfan)
Twelve Kingdoms (4Tran) (SeijiSensei) (Matrim)
Kino no Tabi (ddwkc)
One Piece (James0246) (Kytherno)
Spice and Wolf (Nochgo)
Slayers (Kaioshin Sama)
Record of Lodoss War OAVs (Sheba)

Best super robots:
Tengen Toppa Guren Lagann (roriconfan) (Rawgers)
Gunbuster (4Tran)
Mazinger Z (ddwkc)
GaoGaiGar (Terrestrial Dream) (James0246)
Giant Robo (Kaioshin Sama)
UFO Grendizer (Sheba)

Best realistic robots:
Gundam 08th MS Team (roriconfan) (Rawgers)
SDF Macross (4Tran) (Matrim)
Original Mobile Suit Gundam (ddwkc) (Terrestrial Dream)
Patlabor (James0246) (Sheba)
Armored Trooper Votoms (Kaioshin Sama)
Code Geass (Kytherno)

Best space opera:
Legend of Galactic Heroes (roriconfan) (ddwkc) (Kaioshin Sama)
SDF Macross (4Tran) (Terrestrial Dream) (James0246) (Sheba)
Cowboy Bebop (Matrim)

Best mecha overall:
Neon Genesis Evagelion (roriconfan) (ddwkc)
SDF Macross (4Tran) (Matrim) (Sheba)
Armored Trooper Votoms (James0246)
Tengen Toppa Guren Lagann (Nochgo)
Mobile Suit Gundam Series (Kaioshin Sama)

Best kodomo/mina (for kids or all ages):
Doraemon (roriconfan)
Full Moon o Sagashite (4Tran)
Cross Game (Rawgers)
My Neighbor Totoro (ddwkc)
Crayon Shin Chan (Terrestrial Dream)
Kemono no Souja Erin (SeijiSensei)
Mujin Wakusei Survive (James0246)
Pokemon (Nochgo) (Kaioshin Sama)
One Piece (Sheba)

Best toy/game promoting (cards, boards, videogames):
Hikaru no Go (roriconfan) (4Tran) (Terrestrial Dream) (SeijiSensei) (James0246) (Nochgo)
Pokemon (ddwkc)
Yu-Gi-Oh (Kaioshin Sama) (Kytherno)
Gungrave (Sheba)

Best slice of life (no restriction to setting):
Aria (roriconfan) (Rawgers) (ddwkc) (Nochgo) (Sheba)
Figure 17 (4Tran)
Genshiken (Terrestrial Dream)
Kure-nai (SeijiSensei)
Azumanga Daioh (James0246)
Welcome To The NHK (Kaioshin Sama) (Kytherno)
Nodame Cantabile (Matrim)

Best romance (no restriction to setting):
Nana (roriconfan) (Rawgers)
Kimi ga Nozomu Eien (4Tran)
Rurouni Kenshin (ddwkc) (James0246)
Kannazuki no Miko (Terrestrial Dream)
Clannad AS (Nochgo) (Sheba)

Best mahou shoujo/shounen:
Princess Tutu (roriconfan) (ddwkc) (James0246)
Full Moon o Sagashite (4Tran)
Card Capture Sakura (Terrestrial Dream) (Kaioshin Sama)
Mahou Shoujotai Arusu (SeijiSensei)
Nanoha A's (Nochgo)
My Hime (Matrim)

Best shoujo overall:
Nana (roriconfan)
Revolutionary Girl Utena (4Tran) (James0246)
Fruits Basket (ddwkc)
Saiunkoku Monogatari (SeijiSensei)
The Vision of Escaflowne (Kaioshin Sama)

Best steampunk:
The Vision of Escaflowne (roriconfan) (4Tran) (Rawgers) (Kaioshin Sama)
Nadia: Secret of Blue Water (James0246)
Last Exile (Matrim)

Best cyberpunk:
Ghost in the Shell (roriconfan) (Rawgers) (ddwkc) (Matrim) (Sheba)
Serial Experiment Lain (James0246)

Best science fiction overall:
Ghost in the Shell (roriconfan) (Sheba)
Noein (4Tran)
Planetes (ddwkc)
Dennou Coil (SeijiSensei)
Mobile Suit Gundam Series (Kaioshin Sama)
Simoun (Matrim)

Best sword and sorcery fantasy:
Record of Lodoss War (roriconfan) (ddwkc)
Kara no Kyoukai (Rawgers)
Shakugan no Shana (Terrestrial Dream)
Slayers Next (James0246) (Kaioshin Sama) (Matrim)
Berserk (Sheba)

Best epic fantasy (oriental included):
Bastard!! (roriconfan)
Twelve Kingdoms (4Tran) (Rawgers) (ddwkc) (Terrestrial Dream) (SeijiSensei) (James0246)
Record of Lodoss War (Sheba)

Best dark fantasy (oriental included):
Berserk (roriconfan) (ddwkc) (James0246) (Sheba)
Twelve Kingdoms (4Tran)
Claymore (Rawgers)
Mononoke Hime (SeijiSensei)

Best harem/ecchi:
Love Hina (roriconfan) (Terrestrial Dream) (Nochgo)
Touka Gettan (4Tran)
Kanon (2006) (Rawgers)
Negima! (the Shaft version) (ddwkc)
Ouran High School Host Club (James0246)
Moetan (Kaioshin Sama)
Golden Boy (Sheba)

Best shounen ai/yaoi:
Ai no Kusabi (roriconfan)
Utena (4Tran)
Loveless (ddwkc)
Junjou Romantica (James0246)

Best shoujo ai/yuri:
Revolutionary Girl Utena (roriconfan) (4Tran) (ddwkc) (James0246)
Marimite (Rawgers)
Kannazuki no Miko (Terrestrial Dream)
Maria sama ga Miteru (Nochgo)
Simoun (Matrim)

Best hentai:
Bible Black (roriconfan)
Kite (ddwkc)
Swallowtail Inn (SeijiSensei)
Hatsu Inu (James0246)
Sora no Iro, Mizu no Iro (Nochgo)

Best mystery/detective:
Death Note (roriconfan) (Nochgo) (Sheba)
Perfect Blue (4Tran)
Mushishi (Rawgers) (ddwkc)
Monster (Terrestrial Dream) (Matrim)
Mouryou no Hako (SeijiSensei)
Dennou Coil (James0246)
The Big O (Kaioshin Sama)

Best thriller:
Perfect Blue (roriconfan) (4Tran) (Sheba)
Death Note (ddwkc)
Monster (SeijiSensei) (Nochgo) (Matrim)
Kaiji (James0246)
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann (Kaioshin Sama)

Best horror:
Mononoke (roriconfan) (Rawgers) (SeijiSensei)
Ghost Hunt (4Tran)
Monster (ddwkc) (Terrestrial Dream) (Matrim)
Betterman (James0246)
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai (Nochgo)
Kara no Kyoukai (Sheba)

Best gore/splatter:
Hellsing (roriconfan)
Mnemosyne (Rawgers)
Elfen Lied (ddwkc) (Terrestrial Dream)
Claymore (SeijiSensei)
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai (James0246) (Nochgo) (Matrim)
Needless (Kaioshin Sama)

Best psychological/dementia:
Serial Experiments Lain (roriconfan) (ddwkc) (Nochgo)
Welcome to the NHK! (SeijiSensei)
Perfect Blue (James0246)
Neon Genesis Evangelion (Kaioshin Sama)
Monster (Matrim)
Paranoia Agent (Sheba)
Code Geass (Kytherno)

Best sports:
Slam Dunk (roriconfan) (ddwkc) (Terrestrial Dream) (Kaioshin Sama)
Hikaru no Go (4Tran)
Hajime no Ippo (James0246)
Prince of Tennis (Nochgo)
Shion no Ou (Matrim)

Best cooking:
Yakitate Japan! (roriconfan) (ddwkc) (Kaioshin Sama) (Matrim) (Sheba)
Bartender (SeijiSensei)
Ristorante Paradiso (James0246)

Best gambling:
Ultimate Survivor Kaiji (roriconfan) (Kaioshin Sama)
Akagi (ddwkc) (James0246)

Best visual novel adaptation:
Fate/Stay Night (roriconfan)
Kimi ga Nozomu Eien (4Tran)
Clannad (ddwkc) (Nochgo) (Sheba)
Higurashi no Naku koro ni (Matrim)

Best light novel adaptation:
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (roriconfan) (Nochgo)
Twelve Kingdoms (4Tran) (SeijiSensei)
Maria-sama ga Miteru (Matrim)
Kara no Kyoukai (Sheba)

Best game adaptation:
Final Fantasy – Advent Children (roriconfan)
Valkyria Chronicles (ddwkc)
Gungrave (Sheba)
Disgaea (Kytherno)

Best historical:
Rose of Versailles (4Tran) (Sheba)
Zipang (Kaioshin Sama)
Old 2009-10-01, 06:50   Link #35
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Best parody
Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi

Best satire/gag
Hetalia: Axis Power

Best drama
Hataraki Man

Best swordfight action
Sword of the Stranger is the best for me so far, though Seirei no Moribito and Samurai Champloo came close

Best gunfight action
Black Lagoon

Best martial arts action
Cowboy Bebop

Best man/monster pairing action (ghosts, demons, summons)

Best adventure (something that includes a journey)

Best super robots
Gurenn Lagann

Best realistic robots
FLAG

Best space opera
SDF Macross

Best mecha overall
Macross

Best kodomo/mina (for kids or all ages)
Abstain

Best toy/game promoting (cards, boards, videogames)
Gundam

Best slice of life (no restriction to setting)
Honey & Clover

Best romance (no restriction to setting)

Best mahou shoujo/shounen

Best shoujo overall

Best steampunk
Best cyberpunk
Best science fiction overall

Best sword and sorcery fantasy
Does Twelve Kingdom fit in this? If not, then I vote for Berzerk

Best epic fantasy (oriental included)
Twelve Kingdom

Best dark fantasy (oriental included)
Twelve Kingdom

Best mystery/detective
Death Note

Best horror
Ghost Hound

Best gore/splatter
Blood - The Original Movie
Old 2009-10-01, 08:53   Link #36
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Now now, will this list topic go on or will better judges give those anime a more detailed review? IMHO, this topic is made a wee bit biased by no other than TS her/himself. o_o
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-01, 13:53   Link #37
roriconfan
Banned

It is not biased. Some people confuse genres. I have stopped correcting them in the open as I saw it causes complaints. Still, I won't allow someone listing Pokemon as best thriller or Monster as best comedy. The list can be as less biased as possible as more people contribute to it. I myself altered some of my own choices after I saw some feedback from others. For example, I had originally places Steam Boy as the best steampunk because I had completely forgotten how Escaflowne was steampunk too.

Further comments about the results will follow soon.
Old 2009-10-01, 14:30   Link #38
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
It is not biased. Some people confuse genres. I have stopped correcting them in the open as I saw it causes complaints. Still, I won't allow someone listing Pokemon as best thriller or Monster as best comedy. The list can be as less biased as possible as more people contribute to it. I myself altered some of my own choices after I saw some feedback from others. For example, I had originally places Steam Boy as the best steampunk because I had completely forgotten how Escaflowne was steampunk too.

Further comments about the results will follow soon.
It just amazes me that you use the word "correcting" to describe what you are doing. Jesus Christ are you arrogant to think your's is the only proper categorization of genres. Maybe you ought to just stop commenting on other people's lists altogether. That would be my advice.
Old 2009-10-01, 15:19   Link #39
Nicholi
King of Hosers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Best cyberpunk: Just make a Shadowrun anime and that will be it.
You are correct sir.
Nicholi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-01, 17:39   Link #40
roriconfan
Banned

Ok, maybe the term "thinking about it again" is better. There is nothing wrong to be asked that.
So, without trying to trick anyone about what to choose, my comments about the current results follow. You are free to do the same without ofcourse heading to a flame war.

Best comedy so far: Azumanga Daioh

Best parody so far: None.

Best satire/gag so far: Sayonara Zetsoubu Sensei

Best drama so far: Monster
This category seems to be overrun with Monster. Personally, the drama was ruined for me since the series was very slow and Yohan was this sort of supernatural Houdini who could turn you into a psycho killer without ever explaining how.

Best swordfight action so far: Serei no Moribito, followed closely by Sword of the Stranger

Best gunfight action so far: Black Lagoon
Almost the certain winner in this one. Well, I might as well rename the category Best Chicks with Guns and Tight Pants.

Best martial arts action so far: Samurai Champloo, although not by much.

Best man/monster pairing action so far: None.

Best adventure so far: Twelve Kingdoms
I would pick this one too if the story was not left incomplete.

Best super robots so far: Tengen Toppa Guren Lagann, followed closely by GaoGaiGar.
Heck, how more super than those can you get?

Best realistic robots so far: None.

Best space opera so far: SDF Macross
I was kinda shocked with this. Why not LoGH?

Best mecha overall so far: SDF Macross

Best kodomo/mina so far: Pokemon, but not by much.

Best toy/game promoting so far: Hikaru no Go
Probably the winner too.

Best slice of life so far: Aria

Best romance so far: None.

Best mahou shoujo/shounen so far: Princess Tutu, followed closely by Card Capture Sakura

Best shoujo overall so far: Revolutionary Girl Utena, but not by much.

Best steampunk so far: The Vision of Escaflowne
I had forgotten that this counts as steampunk. It counts as anything actually. Probably the winner.

Best cyberpunk so far: Ghost in the Shell. Probably the winner.

Best science fiction overall so far: Ghost in the Shell, but not by much.

Best sword and sorcery fantasy so far: Slayers Next, followed closely by Record of Lodoss War.
Strange. I always saw Slayers as more comedy and epic fantasy than S&S.

Best epic fantasy so far: Twelve Kingdoms
It is probably going to win here although I never considered it as epic. It is about personal drama than epic scale events.

Best dark fantasy so far: Berserk. Probably the winner.

Best harem/ecchi so far: Love Hina. So old and still kicking.
It did establish how a modern harem should be like. Its style went out of fashion recently, as newer series turn way too much to pedo and yuri.

Best shounen ai/yaoi so far: None.

Best shoujo ai/yuri so far: Revolutionary Girl Utena

Best hentai so far: None.
Damn, I was so sure this was an easy one.

Best mystery/detective so far: Death Note

Best thriller so far: Perfect Blue versus Monster. Take your pick.

Best horror so far: Mononoke versus Monster.

Best gore/splatter so far: Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai, followed closely by Elfen Lied
Damn, this category could easily be renamed Best Killer lolis.

Best psychological/dementia so far: Serial Experiments Lain

Best sports so far: Slam Dunk

Best cooking so far: Yakitate Japan!
Why did I add this category again? There doesn’t seem to be any good competition. I might as well close it with this being the solid winner.

Best gambling so far: Ultimate Survivor Kaiji
Another category I am having second thoughts about. Besides this and Akagi, no other competition seems to exist. And they are both made by the same guy so where is the fun to this?

Best visual novel adaptation so far: Clannad. I kinda saw it coming.

Best light novel adaptation so far: The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya versus Twelve Kingdoms

Best game adaptation so far: None. Is this category even interesting to bother with?

Best historical so far: None. Another strange category.