AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2021-08-10, 08:29   Link #1
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Question on renaming drive letter.

is it safe to rename local disk G: to E: ?? The reason is, one of my games, Otomedius G, wants a drive E:, so that it can save high scores and ranks.

local disk C and D are one disk (this is the one that boots the pc), local disk F and G are one disk, and I don't know which disk System Reserved E: belongs.

Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-08-10, 09:03   Link #2
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

System Reserved should be on the main disk, right alongside the Windows installation. If you're not certain, click on the Windows Start Button, type diskmgmt and press "Enter". It'll open the Disk Manager and you'll see which disk the SR is physically on.

As for the System Reserved partition, I usually leave that alone and do not push my luck. However, in the event that the letter change option is NOT available in Disk Manager (greyed out), it should be possible to do it with DISKPART console commands.

That said, before tinkering with anything related to System partitions and whatnot, I suggest you do a full backup of your hard drive using backup & restore software, just to be safe, as I don't know whether it's going to break something on your rig or will pass by completely unnoticed.
Old 2021-08-10, 09:13   Link #3
demonix

Send a message via Yahoo to demonix
System reserved shouldn't even be visible or assigned a drive letter, so something is definitely amiss there.
demonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-08-10, 09:45   Link #4
Liddo-kun
is this so?

this pc used to only have C: and D: .. then one of my other pc broke down, I got the HDD from that pc and put it into this one... causing F: and G: to appear .. but I can't remember when the System Reserved E: appeared.

my thoughts is, since G: is not really a part of the boot disk, then it could be renamed safely to E: ... or maybe this would affect system reserved in some way, since it's also named E: ??

after reading the comments. I suppose, leaving things alone would be better.
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-08-10, 10:55   Link #5
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Don't use Windows much these days, but maybe you can use aliasing? DK if that still exists in modern Windows,

https://nagpurchasysadmin.blogspot.c...n-windows.html
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-08-10, 16:53   Link #6
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Better leave SR alone. That stuff contains data pertaining to the boot process, including the Boot Manager and even some BitLocker stuff if you have that enabled.

By the way, this smaller partition is typically created when you make a new Windows install OR when your current Windows receives a major update (e.g. Windows 10's 20H2 "October 2020 Update"). It's pretty normal.
Old 2021-11-11, 18:21   Link #7
Strahan

You can go into computer management and remove the E: from the SR volume, that's totally unnecessary to have a drive letter connected to it. Any drive aside from the system volume (typically c:) can be changed to whatever you want - caveat being, you obviously need to let programs know that was done. If you have like F:\Apps\Photoshop\photoshop.exe and you change F: to I:, then the shortcuts to Photoshop in the start menu need to be edited and anything in the program's configuration that references F: has to change to I:, etc etc.

Personally, I moved away from drive letters. I have a pair of file servers I use for anime and other media, one is 42 TB RAID6 the other is 45TB JBOD. Since the one is JBOD, to access all the media I'd have to map nine drive letters. Then I also like to have mappings to the rest of the systems on my LAN, which would result in 12 more drive letters lol. Folder mounting is so much cleaner.

What I did was copy linux's /mnt idea and made c:\mnt then you go into drive management and remove all letter mappings, then map to c:\mnt as a folder. Then for network shares, one can make symlinks to that folder. Works great. Then if you really wanna get fancy, you can leverage DFS to make one single UNC path that has a collection of all the various systems' media. I use that to tie all the random content from the JBOD system into one path. I have \\domain\video which picks up each drive's \media\video folder content and collates it. Very efficient and clean.
Strahan is online now   Reply With Quote