Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-01-12, 03:11   Link #221
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseykid View Post
Err why did the characters have absolutely zero response to Hirose now being able to see? It's like we skipped an episode.
I just figured that there was a time gap between episodes 1 and 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimkill7 View Post
The aforementioned scene could have only been enhanced if he proceeded to beat down those thugs and then pimpslapped Yui.

And in related news, the teacher is a stupid b***h! Seriously, I don't know what kind of backwards town this is, but that is never ok.
Spoiler for The teacher's thoughts:
Absolutely!

Absolutely!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbl View Post
I don't think that's the problem, Hinata genuinely believes that she is protecting Takuma IMO. The problem isa lack of communication. Explain why he should stay away from Hayami, rather than saying some unexplained cryptic things about a bridge, a monster and cockroaches as well "subtly" trying to get Takuma away from Hayami by asking if he can be her partner for making the pin wheel.
Hoh~, are you thinking that Hayami really is dangerous and needs to be avoided?
From what I see, Hinata's just following her dad's orders and the expectations of the villagers. Kind of like Higurashi and Satoko. There might be people who care about Hayami, but they feel it isn't in their place to do anything.
Hinata looks like she wants to talk to Hayami, but doesn't. She's basically at the very top compared to the very bottom Hayami, so she isn't allowed to interact with the "cockroach".
Yui seems to be on the higher scale too, and looks down on Hayami (just like people do to real cockroaches?).

But this is all a guess.
Of course.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-12, 03:29   Link #222
longshot

hmm from what i can tell about episode 2 takuma is the 1st an i do mean 1st to grow a pair an stand up for someone. This is the fastest ive ever seen a male lead ever done this.
longshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-12, 03:58   Link #223
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimkill7 View Post
And in related news, the teacher is a stupid b***h! Seriously, I don't know what kind of backwards town this is, but that is never ok.
Spoiler for The teacher's thoughts:
She shouldn't be allowed to teach...seriously...
Teachers are meant to maintain a neutral stance towards their students...she is another bitch who has decided to follow the leader
Hayami getting bullied like that must have some connection with her firey past...even so, she is just a kid dammit!

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-12, 04:37   Link #224
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Um, what is up with people bashing H2O? It seems every blog is bashing it for the most silliest and obvious of reasons (okay, so the animation isn't perfect and the melodrama is melodramatic. Okay, so...)

I thought ep 2 was pretty good for what it was. I mean, Hayami is so bedeviled that adults actually condone her being attacked and being physically isolated?

I'm guessing that she either purposefully set her own home on fire. Though it's likely that it's all a terrible mi stake. Myself;Yourself de ja vu!
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-12, 07:21   Link #225
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Episode 2 was kinda... a big letdown compared to episode 1.

the major 2 issues here were already mentioned but anyway: the drastic drop of quality (art and animation wise) and simply the plot itself.

For the first point, I don't really expect a show to be consistent at each episode (especially that H2O wasn't bright in that regard from the start). However, we are only at episode 2, and the characters faces are not only "shifting" in proportions, but expressions were also off. What is more is actually how frame are skipped (the way how Hayami was acting on the bridge with Takuma was enough to warrant a "meh").

Now, for the second point, my opinion matches quite well with omni's: basically the plot doesn't move that well, as Takuma didn't exactly did anything that different from episode 1. The situation didn't go farther, as he only get a slight stronger bound with Hayami, that's all.
Though it is assumed to keep the "mystery" and "suspense" why everyone "hates" Hayami, I feel the situation is completely irrealist in that regard: I can buy this "hate" from the students (more or less), but I don't exactly get the adults reaction.
If Hayami is that hated, why is she allowed to come in the school to begin with? The reasoning and actions aren't matching well: is this revenge or only bully actions? Such hate should involve the first point though the way how it is played so far would involve the second point.
The other issue is how the characters fail to actually justify themselves: I don't mind hayami "don't involve with me", but Hinata's reactions are so extreme it is a wonder why she didn't say a reason to Takuma (I even expected a simple lie or so, because she consider Hayami as a demon... that's quite big for such character).
The final plot issue is most likely Takmua's miracle eyesight: why people just don't have any problem with this?
And no, it seems that they didn't do a "true timeskip" considering that Takuma "paid back" the ramen cups, which he would do it already by his nature if we skipped some time already.

H2O sure has potential, but episode 2 is nothing more than a dragged demonstration of Hayami's predicament. The pace isn't exactly matching episode 1, and I feel it really lack of fine follow up.
Waiting for episode 3.
Old 2008-01-12, 07:39   Link #226
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Omni didn't say the plot didn't move at all.. The only real gripe other than the animation quality drop being the lack of reaction shown by townsfolk after Takuma got his eyesight back (maybe they realized it was a psychological issue? who knows).

I think it's too early to gauge exactly why Hayami still goes to school and lets herself be tortured and factionalized, but obviously the reason can't possibly be because of some pedestrian bullying when it's gotten to the point where the adults feel uneasy handling Hayami. I agree that it's ridiculous: in a normal setting. But the situation is obviously FAR from normal.

I think in a sense, the plot did move forward a bit. And I can only assume Takuma got his eyesight back due to some divine intervention steering Hayami and him together. And let's not forget that Takuma is firmly pro-Hayami and possibly is getting the townsfolk get irked by that. That will obviously develop further as the show goes on.

I have to agree that it did not pack the punch of the first episode (mostly via animation quality and the fact that Takuma couldn't see) and yes, the overall quality wasn't quite as good. Again, it reminds me of middling shows like Myself;Yourself. It has the potential, but maybe not the budget or followthrough of a more full fledged series.
Old 2008-01-12, 07:43   Link #227
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

If Hayami ends up actually being some kind of monster, my interest in the story will rise considerably. Otherwise, the intense bullying is a bit silly - especially from the adults.

I don't think we're supposed to assume that Otoha is the second coming of the Christ or anything, so I'd like just a hint of explanation as to why and how she cured Takuma's blindness. Even if she's the fairy of sounds... what does that have to do with sight?
And like Klashikari said: the blind boy sees, and no one has a problem with this? If nothing else, people should be a little irritated at what would now seem like a put-on in the first episode. I really like the idea of having a blind male lead, but that didn't last at all...
I have a pretty liberal suspension of disbelief, but leaving things such as these completely unaddressed when the entire story hinges on them is just bad storytelling. Hopefully things start improving in the next episode.
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-12, 07:51   Link #228
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy View Post
If Hayami ends up actually being some kind of monster, my interest in the story will rise considerably. Otherwise, the intense bullying is a bit silly - especially from the adults.
But she is already portrayed and treated as one. She may as well be one even if she factually isn't.

Quote:
I don't think we're supposed to assume that Otoha is the second coming of the Christ or anything, so I'd like just a hint of explanation as to why and how she cured Takuma's blindness. Even if she's the fairy of sounds... what does that have to do with sight?
What's to explain when that's obviously one of the sticking mysteries of the show? I wouldn't expect any type of answer, maybe not till the end of the show. Like with ef, we still didn't figure out who or what Yu and Yuuko were supposed to be while guiding the troubled teens.

Quote:
And like Klashikari said: the blind boy sees, and no one has a problem with this? If nothing else, people should be a little irritated at what would now seem like a put-on in the first episode.
Well, would you have a problem or voice it out aloud when it's a total stranger + it's well known to be a psychological impairment and not a purely physiological one? I think it's more realistic than we'd think, though for melodrama's sakes, I fully expect the issue to be risen later on. That's what I hope anyway.

Quote:
I really like the idea of having a blind male lead, but that didn't last at all...
I have a pretty liberal suspension of disbelief, but leaving things such as these completely unaddressed when the entire story hinges on them is just bad storytelling. Hopefully things start improving in the next episode.
Episode 2 is still waaaay too early to jump the gun I'd say. And again, if melodrama serves its duty, Takuma most likely will lose his sight to complicate things. That could get interesting then. Also, I don't see why people gripe so much about the supernatural in H2O when Key shows do that on a daily basis and in the case of Kanon and Air, the explanation doesn't even come.
Old 2008-01-12, 07:53   Link #229
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
Omni didn't say the plot didn't move at all.. The only real gripe other than the animation quality drop being the lack of reaction shown by townsfolk after Takuma got his eyesight back (maybe they realized it was a psychological issue? who knows).
I mentioned about "matching", it wasn't similar to each point. Personally, the way how Hayami is bullied didn't make sense compared to the rest (which is matching omni's comment for the bully-roach, though the reasons for this comment are most likely different anyway).

As for "realizing" it is a psychological issue, it isn't the problem. The issue is the fact there is a TOTAL lack of reaction, which is abnormal, whatever they knew he could be "cured" or not.
Quote:
I think it's too early to gauge exactly why Hayami still goes to school and lets herself be tortured and factionalized, but obviously the reason can't possibly be because of some pedestrian bullying when it's gotten to the point where the adults feel uneasy handling Hayami.
Early or not, the problem isn't exactly the reason, but how the "bully period" seems to be quite rampant and on a daily basis without much an appropriate setup.
I used some " for hate before, because the bullies aren't exactly "hating" Hayami in a conventional way. They loathe at her, but they have fun at beating her as their target. As result, it doesn't really involve angst.
I might be wrong, but their motivation doesn't seem to be extreme (their actions are, but the origin doesn't seem so). The sole exception is obviously Hinata who shares some heavy past with Hayami, but even so, claiming Hayami is a demon involves a deep aversion.
Now if we add the fact that adults aren't exactly concerned in any way (the teacher isn't even uneasy, rather "well... leave them be, even if she might have broken bones or so"), the hatred is just too fishy.

As I said, If hayami is so hated to the point the adults don't care about her, why is she allowed to go to school?
It might be similar to Satoko from Higurashi, but the way how it is done is drastically different.

Quote:
I think in that sense, the plot did move forward a bit. And I can only assume Takuma got his eyesight back due to some divine intervention steering Hayami and him together.
Otoha is obviously behind this stunt. Considering the trauma Takuma got in the past (with that train accident nightmare), it might be a simple way to help him in happiness. Now the question is: why otoha doesn't help the rest of the cast, as Hayami and maybe Hinata aren't exactly in a good situation either. (It might be because of the "promised one" part, but again, it is too obscure).
Quote:
I have to agree that it did not pack the punch of the first episode and yes, the animation wasn't quite as good. Again, it reminds me of middling shows like Myself;Yourself. It has the potential, but maybe not the budget or followthrough of a more full fledged series.
The budget doesn't have anything to do with either H2O or Myself Yourself. For both, it is rather an issue with how they execute and bloom the plots. M;Y was plagued because the scripters were way too ambitious, cluttering the plot with too much things to resolve, which obviously screwed up by the time of episode 8-9. Fitting a script within the lifespan of a series isn't related to budget.
Budget of course can have an impact on the length of the series (so, 1 or 2 cour), however, such decision is most likely taken first, then the script is fitted within such limits.
Old 2008-01-12, 07:59   Link #230
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
I don't see how the plot isn't moving...clearly this is the arc where Hayami is the main character - like any other arcs from any other series that feature multiple girls. Its rather significant to have the flashback as well as Hinata's utter dislike for Hayami - and here I was thinking that she, at least, was the only other person to understand Hayami. Now it seems like she is even crueler towards Hayami compared to her other two friends - while they did "weep" about the oni stuff, they did so in a "fun" way - whereas all Hinata could do as make that stupid frown face. More reason is need for her but based on what has happened up til now, she seems like a "bitch" to me >.> Hayami really isn't as stong as she looks...and to see her attempting to look for help (yet still her voice says otherwise) we can se how much she needed that hug from Takuma. This kind of development from this series is soothing to watch...and whilst the animation has taken a hit, I prefer to look at the story first rather than thinking crap animation = crap series.

The one thing that bugged me is obviously the skip from Takuma being blind to being able to see...goddam what did I say all along? He is faking blindness Seriously though, at least give us a "reaction" scene - my only hope is a time skip.

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-12, 08:11   Link #231
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
As for "realizing" it is a psychological issue, it isn't the problem. The issue is the fact there is a TOTAL lack of reaction, which is abnormal, whatever they knew he could be "cured" or not.
I won't argue that it's not strange because it is. I only said that like three times in a few minutes already. My guess is that some time has passed (even a week would do) since Takuma has regained sight. I seriously doubt there'd be no reaction if the kids found it out a day after. Also, Takuma actively going out with the girls is a sign that they have moved well past the initial shock and revelation period. Was that a good choice? I don't know. But it did move the story beyond the speculative part. If I was the director, I wouldn't have jumped a week or two in the story like that, but I thought it got the job done. Not satisfactorily, but it got it done.

Quote:
Early or not, the problem isn't exactly the reason, but how the "bully period" seems to be quite rampant and on a daily basis without much an appropriate setup.

I used some " for hate before, because the bullies aren't exactly "hating" Hayami in a conventional way. They loathe at her, but they have fun at beating her as their target. As result, it doesn't really involve angst.
I might be wrong, but their motivation doesn't seem to be extreme (their actions are, but the origin doesn't seem so). The sole exception is obviously Hinata who shares some hevay past with Hayami, but even so, claiming Hayami is a demon involves a deep aversion.
Now if we add the fact that adults aren't exactly concerned in any way (the teacher isn't even uneasy, rather "well... leave them be, even if she might have broken bones or so"), the hatred is just too fishy.
I'm willing to bet the origin of the bullying is pretty extreme. It probably doesn't matter if the others aren't as personally involved as Hinata is. It doesn't seem to be a matter of open, conventional type of bullying as in 'oh, I hate that person, let's bully', but more of a taboo thing. Hayami has a reputation that precedes the bullying. And obviously, Yui is one of the few who openly confront her about it.

Also, it's apparent that they're going backwards with the setup. Because the setup towards the bullying seems to be the underlying mystery to the show.

Quote:
Otoha is obviously behind this stunt. Considering the trauma Takuma got in the past (with that train accident nightmare), it might be a simple way to help him in happiness. Now the question is: why otoha doesn't help the rest of the cast, as Hayami and maybe Hinata aren't exactly in a good situation either. (It might be because of the "promised one" part, but again, it is too obscure).
God works in mysterious ways

Quote:
The budget doesn't have anything to do with either H2O or Myself Yourself.
Never said it was. Not fully anyway. It's just that both shows are confined to 12 episodes (let's face it: ef, as great as that show was, Air, as great as that was too, were confined to the shortness of the series). The followthrough also being that like many of these shows that didn't fully exploit their potential, they're basically built like show that aim for more ambitious storytelling (as in having filler, comedic moments, fanservice, drama all at once like what a typically longer, 26 episode shows tends to do). So the followthrough suffers through all that. They try to do too much in a short series that is essentially over in the span of the length of a long movie.

As for the budget, since we're seeing the quality drop already in a 12-13 ep series, I'd say that is definitely a part of it. I feel these types of shows could benefit a lot from a more stylistic portrayal as much as the storytelling itself. I mean, in Myself;Yourself, the animation quality wasn't great, but at least it was consistent. ef, the same, Air was obviously high quality throughout. With H2O, we're seeing the quality drop you'd expect out of a 50 episode show (Gundam 00 already had a few of those extreme-animation-quality drop moments..)

Quote:
For both, it is rather an issue with how they execute and bloom the plots. M;Y was plagued because the scripters were way too ambitious, cluttering the plot with too much things to resolve, which obviously screwed up by the time of episode 8-9. Fitting a script within the lifespan of a series isn't related to budget.
Budget of course can have an impact on the length of the series (so, 1 or 2 cour), however, such decision is most likely taken first, then the script is fitted within such limits.
I agree. I wouldn't say H2O has jumped the shark yet though. Since like I said, they could be jumping a week or two before letting on the apparent repercussions that comes with Takuma seeing and vice versa. Not the most optimal way to do it, but that seems to be the way they're at it. I still don't see what's so fatalistically wrong about the approach even if it's not the best way to doing it. I'd say Myself;Yourself dug its hole way earlier than H2O did.
Old 2008-01-12, 08:19   Link #232
tbl
Affably Evil

Personally I think it would be a great twist if Hayami actually is a cockroach and due to some accident from a science experiment, she (being a cockroach) turned into a human girl.

The biggest problem was that no one seemed bothered that he got his eyesight back. And I thought him being blind would be central to the plot, it lasted one episode. I'm guessing there will be a point to it later on, but even still some reaction from the other characters would be nice.

Animation - people are just too fussy IMO.
Destroy. Destroy. Destroy. Slowly, completely, gently beyond comparison, cruelly to the point of numbness, I'll violate your life. That's right. The instant I rip off your limbs, tear open your rib and pull out your intestines, biting into your neck as you scream in agony, chewing through your eyes as I ignore your pleas for mercy and spreading your brains on the ground like butter! I am sane, well more or less

tbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-12, 08:38   Link #233
ReizoSan
Make Your Move

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
Episode 2 was kinda... a big letdown compared to episode 1.

the major 2 issues here were already mentioned but anyway: the drastic drop of quality (art and animation wise) and simply the plot itself.

For the first point, I don't really expect a show to be consistent at each episode (especially that H2O wasn't bright in that regard from the start). However, we are only at episode 2, and the characters faces are not only "shifting" in proportions, but expressions were also off. What is more is actually how frame are skipped (the way how Hayami was acting on the bridge with Takuma was enough to warrant a "meh").

Now, for the second point, my opinion matches quite well with omni's: basically the plot doesn't move that well, as Takuma didn't exactly did anything that different from episode 1. The situation didn't go farther, as he only get a slight stronger bound with Hayami, that's all.
Though it is assumed to keep the "mystery" and "suspense" why everyone "hates" Hayami, I feel the situation is completely irrealist in that regard: I can buy this "hate" from the students (more or less), but I don't exactly get the adults reaction.
If Hayami is that hated, why is she allowed to come in the school to begin with? The reasoning and actions aren't matching well: is this revenge or only bully actions? Such hate should involve the first point though the way how it is played so far would involve the second point.
The other issue is how the characters fail to actually justify themselves: I don't mind hayami "don't involve with me", but Hinata's reactions are so extreme it is a wonder why she didn't say a reason to Takuma (I even expected a simple lie or so, because she consider Hayami as a demon... that's quite big for such character).
The final plot issue is most likely Takmua's miracle eyesight: why people just don't have any problem with this?
And no, it seems that they didn't do a "true timeskip" considering that Takuma "paid back" the ramen cups, which he would do it already by his nature if we skipped some time already.

H2O sure has potential, but episode 2 is nothing more than a dragged demonstration of Hayami's predicament. The pace isn't exactly matching episode 1, and I feel it really lack of fine follow up.
Waiting for episode 3.
Spoiler for felt the same + more:
ReizoSan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-12, 09:12   Link #234
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
I won't argue that it's not strange because it is. I only said that like three times in a few minutes already. My guess is that some time has passed (even a week would do) since Takuma has regained sight. I seriously doubt there'd be no reaction if the kids found it out a day after. Also, Takuma actively going out with the girls is a sign that they have moved well past the initial shock and revelation period. Was that a good choice? I don't know. But it did move the story beyond the speculative part. If I was the director, I wouldn't have jumped a week or two in the story like that, but I thought it got the job done. Not satisfactorily, but it got it done.
This is the most probable explanation behind it. I would just nitpick that considering Takuma's "good will", I would expect him to "pay back" Hayami for the noodle quite early, that's why Time Skip point was a bit average in my books. I think this is such kind of situations that you would like to have some TIME reference points in anime OTZ.

Quote:
As for the budget, since we're seeing the quality drop already in a 12-13 ep series, I'd say that is definitely a part of it. I feel these types of shows could benefit a lot from a more stylistic portrayal as much as the storytelling itself. I mean, in Myself;Yourself, the animation quality wasn't great, but at least it was consistent. ef, the same, Air was obviously high quality throughout. With H2O, we're seeing the quality drop you'd expect out of a 50 episode show (Gundam 00 already had a few of those extreme-animation-quality drop moments..)
That's correct. The budget is obviously taking its toll on the quality and the initial life span. But even so, I believe this issue is bypassed for the plot itself as long as the script is altered in a good fashion. That's why I commented on M;Y, because even if they had oustanding budget (keeping at 13 episodes, nevertherless), it wouldn't save the boat if the script was the same.
Granted, H2O isn't as QUALITY anime (read mediocre) than what we could get recently (as long it isn't anything lik Ninomiya-kun, Higurashi S1, etc any of such whacky quality drop from a "barely average" look). Nvertherless, as long as the script shines, it won't be that impaired by the art, but sure this drop just after the second episode is worrisome.
Quote:
I agree. I wouldn't say H2O has jumped the shark yet though. Since like I said, they could be jumping a week or two before letting on the apparent repercussions that comes with Takuma seeing and vice versa. Not the most optimal way to do it, but that seems to be the way they're at it. I still don't see what's so fatalistically wrong about the approach even if it's not the best way to doing it. I'd say Myself;Yourself dug its hole way earlier than H2O did.
I feel the same way: even if I ranted about this inconsistency in the flow of the plot between ep1 and 2, it might be a safety net so the scripters won't dig their own grave by the time they are dragging too much, such like M;Y.
This is in fact the reason why I was bugged a bit by the "pace", because even if the scripters tried to go forward (if it is indeed a time jump), aside of some interactions, the situation didn't move well.
I might except a bit too much (mind you, I feel like Hayami issues will be fixed only around episode 6-8), but well, that's my 2 cents.
Quote:
Personally I think it would be a great twist if Hayami actually is a cockroach and due to some accident from a science experiment, she (being a cockroach) turned into a human girl.
That kind of twist would sure change dramatically the genre of this series
Quote:
I'm usualy not nosy with quality in general (as I wasn't exactly bothered by the sub par quality of the quoted series above), such drop cannot be ignored, especially for its timing. If it was only for 1-2 shots, i wouldn't say anything, but the whole episode itself was terribly inconsistent in both art and animation.
If it turns like CABBAGE LOVE (on a serious note: Yoake Mae yori Ruri Iro na -Crescent Love-), i think it would be quite a turn off.
Old 2008-01-12, 11:36   Link #235
Ashlotte
Clockwork

Quote:

The biggest problem was that no one seemed bothered that he got his eyesight back. And I thought him being blind would be central to the plot, it lasted one episode. I'm guessing there will be a point to it later on, but even still some reaction from the other characters would be nice.

Yea...I'm either blind or slow because I can't name even one scene in episode two that stood out to me as "OMG thats horrible animation". Eh maybe I need to go back and rewatch the episode paying more attention to the animation then the plot, but for now ill say there wasn't anything there that detracted from the story.

And I was a big basher of the "Cabbages" back when.

Like others said though I hope the boy either A.) Goes blind again or B.) Get some better explinations on the situation...It all feels kinda half-assed for the moment in that regard...But thats about my only real complaint right now. Loving the rest.

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Ashlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-12, 11:47   Link #236
Dop
Mmmm....

So, the plot thickens. I wonder if there's some kind of ritualistic thing going on here. Hayami has been chosen as the village's scapegoat to keep misfortune from the village, and so she has to be hated in order to make the ritual work, which is why the teacher doesn't do anything.
Also, whether Takuma's status as 'the promised one' is also tied in to this ritual/charm/magic whatnot.

Maybe I'm overcomplicating things, but I'm on board for the ride, now.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-12, 13:49   Link #237
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
I was truly shocked that the teacher turned a blind eye to the harassment of Hayami . Which leads me to believe that the whole village is in on this. Takuma being able to see now is kind of weird for me as i was very turned on to the series because he was a blind. I admire his dedication to Hayami and does not care what others think of him. Even to the point where they start calling him a roach as well, its obvious he feels more of a connection with Hayami then he does with anyone else including Hinata.

We have 2 short flashbacks that didnt really show much except that Hinata once had what looked like to me a friendship with Hayami when they younger. The other scene was of a fire but we saw nothing much in that scene. Hinata seem adamant about keep Takuma away from Hayami almost to the point of annoyance. The question is why?

The drop in animation didnt really bother me that much, but the repercussions for having Takuma with sight could be coming. From what i can tell most viewers were excited by the prospect of blind male lead. We are only on episode 2 and now he can see im sure he will lose it again as Otoha has told him to use his time wisely.

Over all not a bad episode but the randomness bothered me a bit. Everyone hates Hayami and it seems to be to the extreme. Also, Hayami practically invited the ass whooping this time and god knows what would have happened if Takuma didnt step in. Her guard with him is dropping bit by bit even as they worked on the project together. Im afraid that the potential for the show might be wasted.
Old 2008-01-12, 14:15   Link #238
rg4619

Quote:
Um, what is up with people bashing H2O? It seems every blog is bashing it for the most silliest and obvious of reasons (okay, so the animation isn't perfect and the melodrama is melodramatic. Okay, so...)
For some bloggers, it seems to take a few superficial hooks to elevate a show from "crap" to "awesome". You just need blood, a particularly attractive (or despicable) character, or some vague promises of thrilling plot development.

Myself; Yourself? School Days? Da Capo (fun show, but one that's elevated to greatness thanks to clumsy melodrama. From a quality standpoint, the unpopular D.C.S.S. is on a similar level)?

For now, H2O comes across as a decent eroge adaptation - fairly average in quality, but not shockingly bad in any way. Aside from a couple awkward moments, I'd say that the script/planning is a cut above M; Y, which many seemed enamoured with.

Quote:
Also, I don't see why people gripe so much about the supernatural in H2O when Key shows do that on a daily basis and in the case of Kanon and Air, the explanation doesn't even come.
Yep.

For me though, Kanon is about as far as I'd like these plot devices to go. In terms of shameless manipulation and unexplained phenomena, AIR and Clannad are too much for me.
rg4619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-12, 15:37   Link #239
Tatiana Razajev
Karen

Send a message via AIM to Tatiana Razajev
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
I was truly shocked that the teacher turned a blind eye to the harassment of Hayami . Which leads me to believe that the whole village is in on this.
Yeah it's definite in my view the whole village is in on it. I'm personally convinced that Hayami really is a village scapegoat or something along those lines. If they need someone to hate, she's there. If they need someone to fear, she's there. If they need a punching bag, she's there. It just pains me how heartless a village is capable of being. Heck I would not be surprised if Hayami wasn't the first village "punching bag" and unless Takuma get them to gain that organ known as a heart, she won't be the last.
Old 2008-01-12, 15:57   Link #240
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Razajev View Post
Yeah it's definite in my view the whole village is in on it. I'm personally convinced that Hayami really is a village scapegoat or something along those lines. If they need someone to hate, she's there. If they need someone to fear, she's there. If they need a punching bag, she's there. It just pains me how heartless a village is capable of being. Heck I would not be surprised if Hayami wasn't the first village "punching bag" and unless Takuma get them to gain that organ known as a heart, she won't be the last.
Well, yeah, I think it's something multi-generational too, which would explain Hayami's hatred for her last name. As others have commented, I think the village thinks they're cursed/the "village plague". Hinata was ignorant of it all (and hence was friends with Hayami) until something bad happened in the village and Hayami got blamed for it (even though it wasn't her fault). I wonder... could the bad thing be somehow related to Takuma's blindness? Maybe more likely to Hinata's parents or something... Hmm...

In either case, I think you're right: Hayami's obviously the village scourge. Others have asked "if she's so hated, why do they let her go to school?" and I imagine the reason is that, by law, they can't stop her, though I imagine they've probably "suggested" it before (in a not so friendly way...). I assume that either Hayami is forcing herself to go to school (her stubborness/rebellion), and/or perhaps it's related to some sort of promise she made to her parents/grandparents/someone about it. In either case, she's developed this sort of "I won't let them beat me" attitude towards the world (to hide/face her inner "I was defeated before I started" realization), which is both admirable and tragic.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bishoujo, drama, kadokawa, makura, romance, school life, seinen, zexcs