AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2018-11-06, 18:43   Link #141
LG-MAX 2.o

Japan's Weekly Blu-ray and DVD Rankings for Oct 29 - Nov 4

Banana Fish Blu-ray/DVD BOX 1 sold 7.286 copies so far, and clarifying that for an anime that is transmitted late at night selling more than 3.000 copies is considered a success.
LG-MAX 2.o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-06, 19:07   Link #142
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I can't say I expected it to sell so well.
Old 2018-11-06, 19:23   Link #143
MetaKite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Don't underestimate the manga's popularity in boosting the anime's sales.

That's better than the 5000+ estimate I expected.
MetaKite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-06, 21:49   Link #144
Mars Terra

I figured I'd share my thoughts on episode 17, even if it's kind of late.
Yut Long makes a alliance with Dino in order to take out not only the remainder of his brothers, but the remainder of his family as well. This seems to be a bit too far for revenge so I was wondering if there was another, deeper reason for it?
Like maybe he thought that his whole family was corrupt and needed to exterminated from the face of the earth. Or perhaps it's envy out of something he never had--he is very similar to Ash in how he was treated as a child, the main difference being that Ash now has someone like Eiji and he has no one like that--so maybe his desire to eradicate all of his brothers' families is subconsciously out of hatred of something that he never knew or had and will never have as there will be nothing of him when all is said and done . . . ?

Currently reading:: The Sirens of Titan.
Mars Terra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-07, 05:17   Link #145
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Man, Ash has it bad when he's trying to exfiltrate the hospital by disguising as a nurse.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-07, 11:26   Link #146
LG-MAX 2.o

Quote:
selling a good number of DVD-Blu-ray is like a bonus, anime can help the industry in several ways such as: Banana Fish Comes Home to New York for Sight-Seeing Tour

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/int...g-tour/.139096
LG-MAX 2.o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-07, 12:00   Link #147
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars Terra View Post
I figured I'd share my thoughts on episode 17, even if it's kind of late.
Yut Long makes a alliance with Dino in order to take out not only the remainder of his brothers, but the remainder of his family as well. This seems to be a bit too far for revenge so I was wondering if there was another, deeper reason for it?
Like maybe he thought that his whole family was corrupt and needed to exterminated from the face of the earth. Or perhaps it's envy out of something he never had--he is very similar to Ash in how he was treated as a child, the main difference being that Ash now has someone like Eiji and he has no one like that--so maybe his desire to eradicate all of his brothers' families is subconsciously out of hatred of something that he never knew or had and will never have as there will be nothing of him when all is said and done . . . ?
I think it's pure hatred that drives him, for the way his mother was killed and how he was treated his whole life. He even hates himself. No doubt he's jealous of Ash for having what he never had, but I don't think it factors into his revenge.
Old 2018-11-07, 16:41   Link #148
Mars Terra

Quote:
I think it's pure hatred that drives him, for the way his mother was killed and how he was treated his whole life. He even hates himself. No doubt he's jealous of Ash for having what he never had, but I don't think it factors into his revenge.
Well I was going to say that's disappointing, but I think it's better this way.
How he was treated lead him to madness, and all his life he had no choices nor did he have any control of how he turned out. In a sense the outcome of his fate was decided from the beginning. This makes for a stronger story I think.

Old 2018-11-07, 19:45   Link #149
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Well I was going to say that's disappointing, but I think it's better this way.
How he was treated lead him to madness, and all his life he had no choices nor did he have any control of how he turned out. In a sense the outcome of his fate was decided from the beginning. This makes for a stronger story I think.
Well, you know, I could be totally wrong. That's just the impression I have from the way he talked about his family, and his earlier face off with Eiji where he seemed fine with being killed.
Old 2018-11-10, 12:17   Link #150
Mars Terra

Quote:
Well, you know, I could be totally wrong. That's just the impression I have from the way he talked about his family, and his earlier face off with Eiji where he seemed fine with being killed.
From his reaction to Ash taking his own life (or thinking he was going to) with no hesitation at all, I think it's fair to say that he still has some sort of expectation out of life, so it might not be out of place to say there might be more to his character that we haven't seen yet.

Old 2018-11-10, 14:01   Link #151
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
From his reaction to Ash taking his own life (or thinking he was going to) with no hesitation at all, I think it's fair to say that he still has some sort of expectation out of life, so it might not be out of place to say there might be more to his character that we haven't seen yet.
I don't think he was shocked that Ash would be willing to take his own life, but rather than he would do it for Eiji. It was an act of selflessness he, who thinks of himself as similar to Ash, would be completely unable to accomplish.
Old 2018-11-10, 16:22   Link #152
Mars Terra

Quote:
I don't think he was shocked that Ash would be willing to take his own life, but rather than he would do it for Eiji. It was an act of selflessness he, who thinks of himself as similar to Ash, would be completely unable to accomplish.
So in a way it was jealousy that made him lash out at Ash?

Old 2018-11-10, 20:20   Link #153
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
So in a way it was jealousy that made him lash out at Ash?
Not sure if it's jealousy or something else. He just doesn't understand why a guy like Ash would care for Eiji so much.
Old 2018-11-11, 09:27   Link #154
Mars Terra

Yeah.

Well, regarding the latest episode I just wanted to say that I understand how your feelings toward a person can be purely platonic and yet they are the most precious person to you, a person who you cherish more than anything and you would do anything to protect them. This episode shows that Eiji means something like that to Ash, it was something I could feel and relate to.

Old 2018-11-15, 18:03   Link #155
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Ash has finally reached his limits mentally. After everything he went through, and is going through now, it's not surprising. It was pretty sad to see him like this.

Interesting development with Yut Lung. I'm sure he'll be shocked when he sees Ash.
Old 2018-11-15, 23:10   Link #156
Wandering Soul

Well, Ash has been broken. If they don't save him soon, it may be too late for him.

I'm interested in seeing if Eiji can go through with his statement that he is willing to kill for Ash.
Old 2018-11-17, 07:20   Link #157
MetaKite

Quote:
Not sure if it's jealousy or something else. He just doesn't understand why a guy like Ash would care for Eiji so much.
It's jealousy and hatred. Nothing more drives Yut-Lung. Many of his fangirls may really hate him before the series is over.

I don't have much hope for this adaptation anymore though. So much is being cut out that I'm sure a character missing from the opening credits will be left out. So I'm interested to see how they wrap things up since the final character missing will determine the fate of Banana Fish.
MetaKite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-18, 20:37   Link #158
Mars Terra

Quote:
Ash has finally reached his limits mentally. After everything he went through, and is going through now, it's not surprising. It was pretty sad to see him like this.
Yeah, the life Ash was leading would not be easy on someone's mind, but now Dino is intentionally trying to break his soul.

Quote:
Interesting development with Yut Lung. I'm sure he'll be shocked when he sees Ash.
Right, he doesn't know that Ash is being kept alive. This will undoubtedly cause strife between him and Dino later on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetaKite View Post
I don't have much hope for this adaptation anymore though. So much is being cut out that I'm sure a character missing from the opening credits will be left out. So I'm interested to see how they wrap things up since the final character missing will determine the fate of Banana Fish.
This show always has me worried about how they'll keep the story going. I see now that this might be the reason why that is.

Old 2018-11-22, 18:21   Link #159
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

For a guy who's been living off IVs for the past month, Ash sure is light on his feet. I don't know if they cut content or not, but it was weird he recovered so fast, both mentally and physically.
Old 2018-11-23, 22:14   Link #160
Mars Terra

Quote:
For a guy who's been living off IVs for the past month, Ash sure is light on his feet. I don't know if they cut content or not, but it was weird he recovered so fast, both mentally and physically.
The way he went from being in a wheelchair with poor vision to running around like a killing machine, in a dark museum no less, was fairly jarring. Either they skipped something or this is bad writing.

Tags
action