AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2004-02-11, 05:57   Link #1
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*

Hoshi no Koe (Voice of a Distant Star) Spoilers

I seen this short OVA sometime ago and some things about the show really bugged me. so now I'm finally posting.

What happened to the girl at the end? Did everyone in the expedition group get wiped out by the aliens? I just don't get the ending. If she did die in deep space then it’s truly a sad ending.
Old 2004-02-11, 07:24   Link #2
sperry

Send a message via AIM to sperry
I'm not really sure. I think you're supposed to be left guessing. I always thought that, since she destroyed the last Tartian ship, that the Lisithia survived, and would find her eventually. But, it could also go the other way. I really don't know.
sperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-11, 07:45   Link #3
Elfir

The way I understood it, since the ship that brought her way out to the alien planet was destroyed, she decided to cause as much damage as possible before dying, to save earth and Noburu-kun. It's implied that the last text message she sent was the last one ever. I think it's better to think she died than to think she lived out the rest of her life stranded on that alien planet.

I love anime for its tragic endings. It's so refreshing ^_^
Elfir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-11, 11:46   Link #4
Fronzel
Schmuck

But she saved her mothership but destroying that one alien ship. It was the only carrier that survived.
Fronzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-11, 12:24   Link #5
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

If you don't get the ending, that's the whole point. You are left to be guess what happened on your own, and your guess is your ending.

Release yourself from blant to-the-point Hollywood type endings. A lot of recent anime use this technique, for example: Scryed, Saishuu Heiki Kanojo, etc.
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-11, 13:33   Link #6
mirichan

Actually, this was discussed in an old thread before... on AnimeOnDVD (in June, to be exact).

But I can't find the thread back and it's too long to post the answer here.

But according to the last 50 pages of the novel, things worked out fine for the girl and the boy waiting for her on earth.
mirichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-11, 13:40   Link #7
Go-lytely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfir
The way I understood it, since the ship that brought her way out to the alien planet was destroyed, she decided to cause as much damage as possible before dying, to save earth and Noburu-kun. It's implied that the last text message she sent was the last one ever. I think it's better to think she died than to think she lived out the rest of her life stranded on that alien planet.

I love anime for its tragic endings. It's so refreshing ^_^
Nope, the Listeria, or whatever it was called, was the only ship to survive and return to earth. You see it in the newspaper when Noboru walks into his apartment. It's almost a certainty that she did die just based on the mood of the anime. Her mech had no propulsion and was aimlessly floating in space. Really, there was no way she could have got back to the alien planet.
Go-lytely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-11, 13:49   Link #8
mirichan

Since I don't have webspace to upload the HTML file I took from AnimeOnDVD forum at the time, I'll upload some of the stuff here instead:

According to the novel:

March, 2056
Saitama Space Self Defense Force Base

News of the battle at Agharta has arrived on Earth. Initial reports are very confusing, but one thing is clear. Casualties were heavy, and the Lysithea was the sole survivor of the engagement. Noboru is called up to duty ahead of his deployment date. He is confused and worried. After all, he has just received the message Mikako sent before the battle earlier that day. The media releases an incomplete list of confirmed survivors, and Mikako’s name is not on it.

At Saitama base, Noboru finds out they are scrambling a rescue mission to rendezvous with Lysithea, which explains why he’s called up ahead of time. As he is being shipped out to the moon base, another message from Mikako arrives.

September, 2047
Lysithea

Mikako wakes up at the medical room. It was a close call for her, as her Tracer had lost all power and was traveling under inertia only. By the time the rescue crew got to her, she has already passed out. Mikako finds out that of the 1000 or so Tracer operators, only 172 survived the battle. Due to the lack of hanger space, her damaged Tracer was deemed not worth repairing and abandoned.

Commander Rokomov, who is in charge of the expedition, gathers his crew and informs them he is aborting their mission and returning to Earth. He has already requested a rescue ship from Earth. It will take 8 years and 7 months before Earth receives his message. In the mean time, Lysithea will move under its own power to the nearest anchor point, Sirius Alpha, which is 2.1 light years from Earth and 6.5 light years from Agharta. Traveling at sub-light speed, Lysithea can get there within the 8 years 7 months time span. Due to time dilation, only 4 years will pass for those onboard.

Please note I'm cutting the messages being sent back & forth as it would be too long for the thread. [Mirichan]

April, 2056
Rescue Ship

Noboru is assigned to one of the latest class of Cosmoknight (interstellar warship = Cosmoknight). It is equipped with a hyper-drive with a jump radius of 3 light years, and an experimental faster-than-light communication system. Noboru will serve as a communication technician onboard the ship. As one of the youngest and greenest crewmember, he works hard at learning his job while the ship travels to the jump-safe zone between Mars and Jupiter.

He digs up Nagamine’s service photo, and passes it around his crew mates, asking them to keep a lookout for her once they docked with the Lysithea. It is the first time he sees any visual records of Nagamine after she left. Seeing her at 15 years old, Noboru once again feels the length and weight of the 9 years that has passed since then.

Coming out of the warp jump, they find and make contact with Lysithea quickly. Noboru decides to send Nagamine a message.

April, 2056
Sirius Alpha

The dramatic reunion Noboru has planned did not happen. Instead, as soon as the rescue ship docked with Lysithea, he was overwhelmed with all kinds of tasks. After all, nobody feels any qualms about making the new guy work whenever and wherever they can. In the end, hours after they’ve taken onboard everyone from Lysithea, Noboru finds himself sitting on a bench next to a vending machine, drinking canned coffee. Nagamine is nowhere in sight, and the spiffy white uniform he puts on for her sake looks a little abused. Just as he loosens it up some more as he rests, the cell phone rings.

Noboru-kun.
I am here.

—From “What secret plan?” Mikako

Surprised, Noboru looks around. “I’m here, Noboru-kun.” It’s a familiar voice he knows well. From one end of the corridor, a woman dressed in a nurse’s uniform is looking at him. Waving her cell phone, she walks up to him slowly.

“At last, we meet again, Noboru-kun.” Nagamine Mikako smiles.

“Ah……” Embarrassed, Noboru can’t look at her directly. “You’ve grown taller.”

“5 cm in fact. However, my weight and three-size remains the same.”

The more Nagamine changes, the more she stays the same. When he realizes that, Noboru is relieved.

May, 2056
On the flight of steps

Like all the rest of the draftees, Nagamine has been discharged from the space fleet. Though Commander Rokomov has made clear she’ll always have a spot as a Tracer operator if she re-enlist, she’d rather be a nurse should she rejoins. In the mean time, a second Tarsian expedition has been postponed as knowledge gained from the first one is being analyzed. Among other things, Nagamine and other Tracer operators all reported receiving the same mental communication from the Tarsians just before the battle. Just exactly what they meant or tried to accomplish, nobody knows as yet.

On this day, Noboru has managed to get some leave and is meeting Nagamine for a date. As he walks up the familiar flight of concrete steps, he is overwhelmed by memories of the past 9 years. Arriving at the little rundown shack at the bus stop, he finds Nagamine already waiting for him.

“Where should we go?”

“To the convenience store. I want some ice-cream.”

“Reliving our junior high days?”

“Just for today. I’ll be starting high school tomorrow……” Nagamine stands up and straightens her dress. “I want more time, so I can catch up to the 24-years old Noboru-kun.” Nagamine exits the little shack and starts walking.

The one who wants more time is me, Noboru thinks as he chases after the 19-years old Nagamine.
Old 2004-02-11, 15:15   Link #9
Fronzel
Schmuck

That's a bit too pat and happy for my tastes. I like the bittersweet tone of the anime. Just telling us that they get back togerther seems...boring.
Old 2004-02-11, 15:53   Link #10
Go-lytely

Was that written before or after the anime came out? It is a copout and ties things up too neatly.
Go-lytely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-11, 17:52   Link #11
Ballz
<3 Boogiepop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go-lytely
Was that written before or after the anime came out? It is a copout and ties things up too neatly.
What's wrong with having a happy ending and tying up all the loose ends? You don't like Shawshank Redemption?

I believe Makoto wrote it during/after the anime was made.
Ballz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-11, 22:14   Link #12
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
If you don't get the ending, that's the whole point. You are left to be guess what happened on your own, and your guess is your ending.

Release yourself from blant to-the-point Hollywood type endings. A lot of recent anime use this technique, for example: Scryed, Saishuu Heiki Kanojo, etc.
It’s just that I happen to like my anime to end without any loose ends and don't have to guess my own ending up. This type of technique is what I hate. It really bugs me. Sorry if I'm ranting on like this.

Mirichan: I never knew there was a novel. So they did get a happy ending. Why didn't he include that in the OVA? I love happy endings. Also do you know if the novel is available in English?

Anyways thanks guys for replying, I really appreciate it.
Old 2004-02-12, 02:53   Link #13
Fronzel
Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballz
You don't like Shawshank Redemption?

I like The Shawshank Redemption expect for that lame scene at the end that tritely tied things together.

And no, I don't like happy endings when they contradict the tone of the rest of the thing. It was fairly happy for what it was, anyway. It's not like the ending of Kare Kano or anything.
Old 2004-02-12, 05:55   Link #14
Ballz
<3 Boogiepop

The novel's not out in english yet. Maybe someday...
Ballz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-12, 12:43   Link #15
Fronzel
Schmuck

And it even took care of their widening age differance. That was part of the tradegy, that she remained 15 while he grew up. But this just reduces it to acceptable levels just like that!
Old 2004-02-12, 17:30   Link #16
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballz
The novel's not out in english yet. Maybe someday...
Though I'd prefer for the Crest novels to be translated first They probably have a better chance too, since Crest seems to be more popular than HnK amongst the general population.
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-13, 14:42   Link #17
tsurumaru
I refuse to die dammit!

Just a semi pointless titbit of information for you. I haven't seen the anime but thought it might be of interest to you that in next months Afternoon magazine in Japan a new manga series will be starting up.......that series will be Hoshi no Koe! (1st Chapter will feature 8 colour pages)
(Story: Shinkai Makoto, Art: Sabara "Mizu") They are also giving away a DVD featuring Hoshi no Koe (but to what extent I cant tell) There's something about a "long" version but my Japanese isn't good enough to translate it all. (Sorry)

If people are super enthusiastic I could scan in the page and post it here for someone to translate properly.
tsurumaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-13, 17:56   Link #18
Fronzel
Schmuck

I've got to wonder what it'll be about....I suppose you don't know; the anime is 25 minutes. That's all. I'm not sure expanding it will be a good idea. I kinda like its concise nature.
Old 2004-02-13, 18:26   Link #19
mirichan

That might sounds rude, sorry in advance, but...

You know what?

If the creator decides to expand the story, it's his prerogative. You liked the OVA as is? Nobody forces you to read/watch more of it.

We got the point quite a few posts ago that you liked it as it was done in the OVA... bemoaning the fact the novel went further won't change the fact the novel exists.

I loved Star Wars when I was young... Hate the 2 movies done in the last couple of years... I just decided NOT to watch them! I'm not going around beating everybody's over the head with my opinion.
Old 2004-02-14, 00:57   Link #20
Fronzel
Schmuck

That was rude. I don't think our discussion constitutes whining.

Tags
drama, romance