Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Science & Technology

Notices

Old 2013-10-20, 05:23   Link #321
bigdeal000
malefic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireminer View Post
Well, only my grandfather's brother had a heart attack, and he is now paralyzed. Outside of that, everyone is healthy.

Also, I'm 7.
seven...years...old?
At your age I had no idea what a heart attack is...heck, I don't even remember if I knew anything at all back then

as to your headache, beats me, I'm no good with children. Hope it'll get better.
bigdeal000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-21, 13:18   Link #322
AnimeFan188

Discovery of DNA "Biological Clock" Could Get Us Closer to Immortality:

"The identification of the DNA markers associated with aging has brought us one step
closer to the ever-elusive Fountain of Youth. UCLA geneticist Steve Horvath just
published details about the discovery, and says that this could actually lead to drugs
that reverse the process of aging."

See:

http://gizmodo.com/discovery-of-dna-...ser-1449089144
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-22, 11:33   Link #323
GDB

So, anyone ever had random throbbing pain (makes it sound worse than it is, but it's still painful and annoying and not sure how else to describe it) in their left temple? Been happening every now and then since this morning and I have no idea what could have caused it or why it's random as opposed to constant.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-22, 13:11   Link #324
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
So, anyone ever had random throbbing pain (makes it sound worse than it is, but it's still painful and annoying and not sure how else to describe it) in their left temple? Been happening every now and then since this morning and I have no idea what could have caused it or why it's random as opposed to constant.
I assume you are a right hander. How much workload have you had in the past month?

And how long have you been sleeping per day?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-22, 13:32   Link #325
GDB

By workload, you mean physical labor? Quite a bit (comparatively, at least) in the past week and a half due to moving and having to lug everything around. I've been getting good sleep, about 8-9 hours a night. And yes, I'm right handed.
Old 2013-10-22, 14:07   Link #326
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
By workload, you mean physical labor? Quite a bit (comparatively, at least) in the past week and a half due to moving and having to lug everything around. I've been getting good sleep, about 8-9 hours a night. And yes, I'm right handed.
Do you have that almost-uncontrollable rage within you when you have the headaches? Like having the urge to shout/scream at someone, or wanting to punch the crap out of him/her?

Or just a simple bad headache that affects your left eye from opening fully?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2013-10-22, 14:46   Link #327
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Try to use pain killers if necessary.... If not relieved then seek a doctor as soon as possible. It can be a sign of an aneurysm in the brain, a tumour or progressive cerebral hemorrhage.

Last edited by NoemiChan; 2013-10-22 at 15:19.
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-22, 14:49   Link #328
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Do you have that almost-uncontrollable rage within you when you have the headaches? Like having the urge to shout/scream at someone, or wanting to punch the crap out of him/her?

Or just a simple bad headache that affects your left eye from opening fully?
Neither, it's just a throbbing pain that gets annoying and happens to be located in a specific, somewhat worrisome spot.
Old 2013-10-22, 15:19   Link #329
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Neither, it's just a throbbing pain that gets annoying and happens to be located in a specific, somewhat worrisome spot.
See a doctor, and check for hereditary diseases. I have the same issue that is worse since I left the army, but the doctors told me it was insufficient rest.

I suspect it has got something to do with my grandfather'stroke; according to my mother, it is hereditary.

Old 2013-10-25, 13:09   Link #330
AnimeFan188

Scientists say they’ve found new ‘hungry gene’ that causes obesity:

"Researchers with the University of Cambridge in Britain said they looked at 2,101
obese patients and found that several with the same mutation of a gene called KSR2
were hungrier than those with normal variances of the gene, the Daily Mail reported.
They also found that those with the mutated gene had much slower metabolisms than
others with the normal gene.

“The discovery of a new obesity gene, KSR2, demonstrates that genes can contribute
to obesity by reducing the metabolic rate— i.e. how well the body burns calories,” Dr. I.
Sadaf Farooqi of Cambridge said in the Daily Mail.

The discovery opens the door to new drugs that could treat obesity, as well as Type 2
diabetes, which often comes on the heels of obesity."

See:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...gene-causes-o/
Old 2013-10-26, 08:55   Link #331
TooPurePureBoy
Socially Inept

So recently I've been making some life changes that might be making me feel pretty bad.

I've been trying to eat more healthy (which is difficult because I rent a room but don't really have access to a fridge or kitchen, this leads to me living off of mostly fast food or premade junk from the grocery store) or just a lot less.

I've also cut caffeine as much as possible.

This all started because I was experiencing a feeling of overall bad health that had me feeling I was really pushing the envelope the last year with this extremely poor diet.

Anyway over the last couple weeks I've had some strange symptoms. At first I was having caffeine withdrawal that was giving me headaches later in the day. I would drink a soda (just a little, nothing like the usual 3 energy drinks a day I was going on for the last 10 or so years) and it would go away.

Now yesterday at work I took a 5 hour energy shot because I was having a tough time having enough energy to get through the work day. For the first time in my life I got dizzy FROM the caffeine not because of a lack of it. Is this just a result of taking in a lot of caffeine after a few days without it?

Also I'm a long time pot smoker (ya ya I know) and I've always had a large constitution when it came to what I could handle. Lately it just makes me have panic attacks and/or getting extremely dizzy, even from just a little.

I woke up this morning with a dull headache and dizziness again. This worries me which is of course triggering the onset of a panic attack.

Is this just from trying to cut back on caffeine, sugar, and fatty foods all at the same time or should I actually be worried here?
Old 2013-10-27, 02:59   Link #332
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
^ I advice you to consult a psychiatrist for your smoking and a dietitian for your unbalance diet. Discuss with them all your concerns and please, please, please.... TELL THEM EVERYTHING AND THE TRUTH. Effectiveness of treatment is not based on the treatment alone but on the appropriateness of the treatment based on the FACTS you are giving them.
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-27, 05:26   Link #333
Bri

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooPurePureBoy View Post
Anyway over the last couple weeks I've had some strange symptoms. At first I was having caffeine withdrawal that was giving me headaches later in the day. I would drink a soda (just a little, nothing like the usual 3 energy drinks a day I was going on for the last 10 or so years) and it would go away.

Now yesterday at work I took a 5 hour energy shot because I was having a tough time having enough energy to get through the work day. For the first time in my life I got dizzy FROM the caffeine not because of a lack of it. Is this just a result of taking in a lot of caffeine after a few days without it?
Can't say anything about pot, but that is a normal response when you quit caffeine.
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-27, 10:46   Link #334
SummeryDreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooPurePureBoy View Post
So recently I've been making some life changes that might be making me feel pretty bad.

I've been trying to eat more healthy (which is difficult because I rent a room but don't really have access to a fridge or kitchen, this leads to me living off of mostly fast food or premade junk from the grocery store) or just a lot less.

I've also cut caffeine as much as possible.

This all started because I was experiencing a feeling of overall bad health that had me feeling I was really pushing the envelope the last year with this extremely poor diet.

Also I'm a long time pot smoker (ya ya I know) and I've always had a large constitution when it came to what I could handle. Lately it just makes me have panic attacks and/or getting extremely dizzy, even from just a little.

I woke up this morning with a dull headache and dizziness again. This worries me which is of course triggering the onset of a panic attack.

Is this just from trying to cut back on caffeine, sugar, and fatty foods all at the same time or should I actually be worried here?

That's most likely be a withdrawal symptom from those substances that you've been taking. Well psychiatrists knows best what to do for that, they will give you medications for that as well.
SummeryDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-29, 02:27   Link #335
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

So tomorrow if I don't get accepted at a third institution for radiology, I'm down to my last institution for my current and future prospects.

It's my medical school alma mater, but still nervous. Maybe I should start washing the cars of the consultants.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-29, 21:19   Link #336
AnimeFan188

Brooke Greenberg: 20-Year-Old "Toddler's" Legacy of Hope and Love:

"The baffling case of Brooke Greenberg, a 20-year-old who never developed beyond
the toddler stage, may provide clues to help scientists unlock the secrets of
longevity and fight age-related disorders, such as Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, and
heart disease. Brooke, who passed away last Thursday, had the body and cognitive
function of a 1-year-old. She didn't grow after the age of 5 — and basically, she
stopped aging entirely."

See:

http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-livin...185100345.html
Old 2013-11-09, 21:20   Link #337
AnimeFan188

The Co-Villains Behind Obesity’s Rise:

"They collected data from animals raised in captivity: macaques, marmosets,
chimpanzees, vervets, lab rats and mice. The data came from labs and centers and
spanned several decades. These captive animals are also becoming fatter: weight
gain for female lab mice, for example, came out to 11.8 percent a decade from 1982
to 2003.

But this weight gain is harder to explain. Captive animals are fed carefully controlled
diets, which the researchers argue have not changed for decades. Animal obesity
cannot be explained through eating behavior alone. We must look to some other —
biological — driver."

See:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/10/bu...oofinance&_r=0
Old 2013-11-16, 20:17   Link #338
AnimeFan188

New Cell Therapy Leading Way to Faster Tissue Repair:

"As early as 2002, the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency put out a
request for proposals seeking novel ideas giving troops a technology to
immediately accelerate tissue repair for wounded or injured soldiers. Ideas
suggested in the proposal included use of electromagnetic fields such as near
infrared, millimeter waves and radio frequency.

But now researchers say an evolutionarily conserved gene called Lin28a, active in
embryos but not in adults, enhanced the repair of damaged tissue in a test using
mice. By reactivating the dormant gene Lin28a, which is active in embryonic stem
cells, researchers were able to regrow hair and repair cartilage, bone, skin and
other soft tissues in mice, Boston Children’s Hospital said in a Nov. 7 statement.

“It sounds like science fiction, but Lin28a could be part of a healing cocktail that
gives adults the superior tissue repair seen in juvenile animals,” lead researcher
Dr. George Daley, director of the hospital’s Stem Cell Transplantation Program,
said in a Nov. 7 statement. The findings were published that day in the journal
Cell."

See:

http://defensetech.org/2013/11/16/ne...tissue-repair/
Old 2013-11-22, 00:10   Link #339
AnimeFan188

Bio Patch Shows Promise for Regenerating, Growing Bone:

"Researchers at the University of Iowa have developed a bio patch that helps
to regenerate and grow damaged bone, possibly meaning a new way of
treating wounds.

The patch is a collagen “scaffold” seeded with synthetically created plasmids –
self-replicating DNA molecules – for producing bone. Researchers reported that the
bio patch led to significant bone regeneration and growth in animal lab testing.

Aliasger Salem, a professor of pharmaceutical science and director of the school’s
College of Pharmacy, said the technology could be applied to a range of injuries,
including arm and leg fractures and craniofacial damage."

See:

http://defensetech.org/2013/11/21/bi...-growing-bone/
Old 2013-11-29, 03:34   Link #340
AnimeFan188

DARPA seeks brain recovery implant:

"The Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency is asking for proposals to build a
brain implant that can help recovery memories lost to injury.

Best known for leading weapons research, DARPA has also pushed medical
technology and sustainable energy. The latest DARPA request would represent a
major medical leap.

“Ultimately, it is desired to develop a prototype implantable neural device that
enables recovery of memory in a human clinical population. Additionally, the program
encompasses the development of quantitative models of complex, hierarchical
memories and exploration of neurobiological and behavioral distinctions between
memory function using the implantable device versus natural learning and training,”
the agency posted on FedBizOpps.gov."

See:

http://blogs.gazette.com/highground/...overy-implant/