AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-09-07, 02:31   Link #1
Diabolix

Something good based on highest scores on my list.

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Knave&status=2&order=0

Check out my list, and sort it by scores. After you see what i scored high, and what i scored low, recommend me a good show. I haven't seen a completed anime in about a month now, because nothing catches my interest. I don't want it to be longer than 26 episodes. I'm looking for completed shows, not ongoing. I don't care about the genre, but if possible, avoid sci-fi, mecha, and futuristic stuff. Thank you!
Old 2010-09-07, 03:22   Link #2
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
Mononoke
12 Kingdoms
Serei no Moribito
Old 2010-09-07, 03:27   Link #3
jedinat

Quote:
Originally Posted by roriconfan View Post
12 Kingdoms
Seconded.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roriconfan View Post
Serei no Moribito
Minused.

Hellsing
Mushishi
Kino no Tabi
Added.
Old 2010-09-07, 03:29   Link #4
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Alright, I suggest checking out any Satoshi Kon work (Unfortunately this legendary director just passed away). However since you are most likely looking for series rather than movies, then I suggest you his one and only series Paranoia Agent. Descriptions won't do it justice, but all of Kon's works are very rich and visually appealing.

For other shows I'd suggest...

Last Exile - Since you liked Gankutsuo you may also like this great show by the same studio (Gonzo).

Haibane Renmei - Unique show, very different than most. Just read any plot synopsis to get an idea of it.

Mushishi - Main character is Ginko, a mushishi, who goes around helping people who are troubled by mushi (A lifeform that is neither animal or plant but somewhere in the middle, sort of ). Episodic, and has slow pace, but is brilliantly constructed. One of the most relaxing anime you'll ever see.

Spice and Wolf - Two seasons, each 12-13 episodes each or something. Dialogue heavy show, with two strong leads Lawrence and Horo. Lawrence is a merchant.

Claymore - In terms of fighting nature shows, every one can bow before this one. However the very end diverges from the manga, so if you read manga you should just jump to the manga afterwards, or just finish the anime for closure.
Old 2010-09-07, 18:27   Link #5
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Seconding Seirei no Moribito - as good as it gets. And based on your list I really recommend Capeta, a terribly underrated sports anime based on a continuing manga. It has many of the same elements I love about Major at its best.
Old 2010-09-07, 23:34   Link #6
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Serei no Moribito is just one of those shows that alot of people suggest, but the people that don't like it really don't like it...It has some great visual fighting (blows it's wad early on IMO), but I honestly was bored to tears after about 11 eps...Maybe I was over-hyped...

HeatguyJ
Mitchiko E Hatchin
Summer Wars
Tokyo Tribe2
DNAngel
Generator Gawl
Angel Links
Fafner
Desert Punk
Boogiepop Phantom
Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi
Flame of Recca
Serial Experiments Lain (holy $hit at your list not having this)

You seem to be an excellent student, so you should have fun researching some of these titles...I'm basically going thru your alphabet seeing what you don't have...I'm sure I'll be back...
Old 2010-09-08, 00:05   Link #7
jedinat

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
Serei no Moribito is just one of those shows that alot of people suggest, but the people that don't like it really don't like it...It has some great visual fighting (blows it's wad early on IMO), but I honestly was bored to tears after about 11 eps...Maybe I was over-hyped...
I loved the first episode. It was the high point. The rest consists mostly of characters talking, talking, talking, talking about the plot. Add to that that nothing went in the directions I wanted to see and I become "people that don't like it." The "really don't like it" derives mostly from disappointment that it wasn't another Twelve Kingdoms.
Old 2010-09-08, 00:21   Link #8
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

People are entitled to like or not like whatever they want, of course - but given that those of us who love Moribito could hardly love it more, I think in the spirit of "Suggestions" the OP should check it out and make up their own mind.

To defend Moribito, I hardly think it was "over-hyped" - considering that it was hardly hyped at all. The "hype" comes from people saying they love the series - which isn't hype at all. I think people who expected an action-oriented shounen series were mostly the ones who were disappointed. Those who expected something closer to Kenji Kamiyama's style - smart. thoughtful, emotionally honest and incredibly beautiful - were amply rewarded.
Old 2010-09-08, 02:07   Link #9
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
I suggested it first yet I don't like it either. I just recommend it as an interesting setting with good visuals; that's all. I too prefer more action and less talking and I would recommend Escaflowne instead of this but the OP doesn't want mecha.
Closed Thread