AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-09-07, 08:24   Link #1
BumRush6

Dubbed Comedy

Hey guys. I looking for a new comedy to watch but it must be dubbed. Not too picky about much else except that it is an obvious comedy and it is dubbed.

Some anime i have watched and liked in the past is:

Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu
History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi
Jungle wa Itsumo Hare nochi Guu
Jungle wa Itsumo Hare nochi Guu Deluxe
Lucky ☆ Star
Ouran High School Host Club
School Rumble
School Rumble Ni Gakki
Slam DunK
Zero no Tsukaima

Can't seem to find any other ones. All suggestions welcomed. Thanks
Old 2010-09-07, 08:58   Link #2
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_i-XL_fm6E&list=SL

There you go.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2010-09-07, 10:01   Link #3
Ichihara Asako
Horoist

Cromartie High had a decent dub. Many claim it's better than the original, though I think Norio as Mechazawa is unbeatable. It's great either way, though.
Old 2010-09-07, 10:21   Link #4
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I liked the dub on Abenobashi Magical Shopping Arcade. Funny, but complicated story.

You do have to accept the common R1 practice of dubbing Osakan accents as American Southern, though. Speaking of Osakan accents, how about Azumanga Daioh? It's got a pretty good dub as I recall.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2010-09-07 at 20:10. Reason: Added link to AnimeNetwork dubbed stream for Azumanga Daioh
Old 2010-09-07, 14:54   Link #5
NervZero
RAWR!!!

Send a message via AIM to NervZero
hmm..

umm..
Special A
Rosario to Vampire
One Piece
Kare Kano
King of Bandit Jing

those are just a few Speical A and R+V might be to new to find dubbed i'm not really sure.. But your best official bet would be to look on amazon.com............

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

Last edited by NervZero; 2010-09-07 at 15:10.
Old 2010-09-07, 17:21   Link #6
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

I second Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi...I loved that show..

I'll add Dokkaida (sort of a spoof on Kaiden Raider type anime shows), and one of my alltime fav comedies Cromartie HS (A high School of delinquents that over-stretches every Anime HS stereotype there is, it's hilarious)...Super Milk Chan isn't too bad either, but it's out-there...It's just outrages non-sequitor comedy...
Old 2010-09-07, 18:18   Link #7
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I liked the dub on Abenobashi Magical Shopping Arcade. Funny, but complicated story.

You do have to accept the common R1 practice of dubbing Osakan accents as American Southern, though. Speaking of Osakan accents, how about Azumanga Daioh? It's got a pretty good dub as I recall.
Great suggestion, which I second - Abenobashi is truly an excellent dub. FLCL also has a superb dub - many of the same cast - but while it can be hilarious, it's definitely much more than just a comedy.
Old 2010-09-07, 21:54   Link #8
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I'm watching the R1 DVD subs of Abenobashi from a location I can't name. (I own the DVDs as well; it's just more convenient to watch something on my computer.) It is truly a remarkable show. I'm sure I still miss a number of the references to Japanese pop culture, but the parodies of the other genres are truly spot on. It's also an hilariously ecchi show; it's "over the top" but never "crosses the line" as they say. I just re-warched episode three where Mune-mune's breasts bounce onto the screen at a moment's notice. The outfit she wears with the beads across the nipples is hilarious. I love the double entredres in sequence where Arumi and Sasshi have to "hook up" to create the Transformers-like mecha. (Yes, I know they're twelve; you have to put that aside for this show. There's a whole episode devoted to Arumi having her panties stolen by a goblin, after all, and many scenes where circumstances leave Sasshi looking up her skirt.)

I haven't yet gotten to perhaps my favorite episode. the film noir parody episode six. Arumi is just a knockout as a twenty-something jazz singer. The design of her character in this sequence is especially remarkable as it preserves the essence of her newly-pubescent self while projecting her into an adult a decade older.
Old 2010-09-08, 05:55   Link #9
BumRush6

Thanks for the suggestions guys. However if Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi is anything like FLCL then I don't think it's for me. I tried watching it and did not like it at all.
Old 2010-09-08, 07:45   Link #10
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

If by watching "it" you meant FLCL, it depends on what you didn't like about that show. Abenobashi is much easier to understand and more linear than FLCL. If you don't like ecchi comedies, though, then I'd say Abenobashi probably isn't for you either.
Old 2010-09-08, 07:50   Link #11
BumRush6

Yeah I meant FLCL. I'm not quite sure exactly why I didn't like it. I think it was just too odd for me. I only watched the first episode but the whole horn growing thing and the girl with the guitar was pretty confusing. I think I generally like more down to earth sort of stuff.
Old 2010-09-08, 23:08   Link #12
NervZero
RAWR!!!

Send a message via AIM to NervZero
a new show that i'm watching currently is Kaichou wa maid-sama! its kind of cheese.. but its funny..

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Old 2010-09-08, 23:54   Link #13
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

FUNimation's dub of Crayon Shin-chan. They were pretty loose with the source material. It had lots of American pop-culture references ranging from the Simpson (Jessica and Ashlee) sisters to Rudy Guliani. For that reason, it was a 'love it or hate it' type dub. I found it funny, personally.
Old 2010-09-09, 20:53   Link #14
Mute
エアコンを止めろ!
*Artist

Send a message via AIM to Mute
Welcome to the NHK. It's pretty funny, but has some meaning to it as well. Also Genshiken.
Old 2010-09-09, 22:05   Link #15
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichihara Asako View Post
Cromartie High had a decent dub. Many claim it's better than the original, though I think Norio as Mechazawa is unbeatable. It's great either way, though.
I second Cromartie High but I too also preferred the Japanese voice overs.

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
Closed Thread