Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2021-07-17, 05:28   Link #141
Alchemist007
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBOvenGuy View Post
One scene in the last episode of Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu killed the entire series for me, or at least the second half.
Rarely hear anyone criticize any part of this show but I never liked the 2nd half as much as the first.
Old 2021-07-17, 11:38   Link #142
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist007 View Post
Rarely hear anyone criticize any part of this show but I never liked the 2nd half as much as the first.
It's a fantastic series, to be sure, but that one scene hits a trigger of mine, and blows the whole thing up. And similarly, there are things in WEP (which is chock full of triggers) that some people won't be able to get past.

(Incidentally, the live-action Rakugo Shinjuu doesn't have that scene, or even the character who instigated it.)
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-17, 17:26   Link #143
Alchemist007
*Author

Drama for drama's sake, even when it's not needed
Though Wonder Egg had all the potential but just didn't pay off when it all came to a head. Either that or they really want another season to tell it all...

The characters had their issues and they were understandable as told, but the whole android thing wasn't needed at all. Reminds me of a show a couple seasons back, "Kami sama ni natta Hi," cool tech that just added nothing to the show fundamentally.
Old 2022-01-18, 19:35   Link #144
Ghostfriendly

Late to the party again, but this was a surprising discovery that I really enjoyed, where nuanced and lovable girls dealt with serious issues in their own genuine ways. The ending really showed Goblin Slayer the right way to show that not everyone can be a hero. There was no shame attached to Momoe's breakdown or Rika's loss of mental balance at the end. After all they'd fought through, it brought home the difficulty of the fight, not their weakness, as did Ai's long hesitation before she stepped up to the vocation of a Warrior of Eros. If teen suicide and the abandonment of the girls by their saved friends represent impulsive immaturity, Ai's firm decision in the face of death shows her coming of age.

Appropriately for series with a strong theme of not judging by appearances, quite a bit is suggested as well as stated. Riki doesn't explicitly acknowledge for example, that none of the five male degenerates who shagged her mum are her parent in any meaningful way. Her encounter with the false-father figure of the cult leaders strongly implied subconscious acknowledgement, though. Conscious acknowledgement would probably have involved more tears and wall-punching. The ambiguity of Rika's reconciliation with her mum, as with Momoe's ambiguous sexuality, gives a strongly genuine quality to the proceedings.

Momoe being a trans woman would require her going to a very permissive school, and having had her Adam's apple removed. I don't think it's very likely. The ambiguity may allow trans girls, lesbians and straight, 'unfeminine' women to all identify with Momoe; all their personal struggles are valid. Representation of a normally obscured and excluded group, however, should be unambiguous and unmistakable. Even then, it ideally shouldn't have the price of an appallingly tragic death. Or the 'I'll be reborn as a real boy' cliche. So, it wasn't good trans rep, but at least it was trans rep; I can respect the sincerity of Wonder Egg's writers much more than some other shows.

My object so sublime, I shall achieve in time, to let the punishment fit the crime, get hold of the real rapist kendo teacher, not a dream-monster, and get a giant Tarantula Hawk larvae to eat him alive from the inside. I don't think that would be inappropriate, though it's good to know that Karou is probably alive and happy in several alternative realities. Although the final ep indicate that 'twins' from different realities are not identical or interchangable; every death is a loss.

Momoe is an excellent character herself, whose desire not to be judged by her appearance reinforces a key theme. He support of Mr Sawaki adds nuance to his subplot, where appearances are again deceptive. Sawaki may not be seducing his students in the end, but getting involved with Ai's mother is an abuse of his position in itself. His judgement that Ai should have confidence because of her beautiful eyes and resemblance to her mother assigns her value based on her appearance to him, representing the false judgements AI must break through with her real inward strength.

The ending was more symbolic than detailed, with Frill not only an all-consuming psychic threat in the style of Phillip K. Dick, but despair itself, that cannot be realistically defeated, just fought. I'm more curious that the breakup of Acca and Urra-Acca's same-sex marriage, if they were married, was so uncomplained of. By and large, nothing could have been more satisfactory.
Ghostfriendly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
magical girls, psychological