Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2007-06-04, 21:14   Link #361
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
Mmm i'm 20 and im about a cm shorter than you and i weigh 62Kilo. (138 pound) And my parents still think i'm skinny...
But, I'm by no means a point of comparison. I'm REALLY skinny. It's scary. Heck, I can see my ribs, and if I lean forward you can count my vertebrae.

Quote:
I even go to gym twice a week and since i started i went from 20kilo to 65 kilo on some devices. And all i gained was 2-3 Kilo's ( and i wasn't fat at all, so even if muscles weigh more than fat.. i didn't really had any)
Doing device exercise is not good at all. It pushes your body too much, and if you stop doing it, the muscles will turn into fat in a couple of days. At least that's how I've been told (not that I needed to lose weight, anyways). Practicing a sport, especially swimming, ought to give you much better muscle growth than device exercise.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-05, 00:45   Link #362
[DOT].L
Delightfully lost...
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
For example, I'm male, 18 years old, weigh 119 pounds and stand 5'7". With most calculators, my BRM is 1534. Now, when I input 200 pounds instead of 119, keeping everything the same way, I get a result of 2037.4. Now, that means that, if I weighed more, my metabolism would be higher! WTF?!
That's a perfectly reasonable number if all those extra pounds are muscle mass. Muscle helps burn fat, and a substantial increase in muscle mass will raise one's metabolic rate. I believe that's the inspiration behind the whole Solar Gauntlet concept in Yakitate! Japan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephi View Post
I even go to gym twice a week and since i started i went from 20kilo to 65 kilo on some devices. And all i gained was 2-3 Kilo's ( and i wasn't fat at all, so even if muscles weigh more than fat.. i didn't really had any)
That's probably one important reason why you're not gaining much weight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
They just don't do the characters. I'd imagine that it's because of the way that their engraving system is set up. It's probably only designed to deal with Roman character sets. Chinese/Japanese characters are quite different. So, I would have expected that jewelers in Chinatown/Little Tokyo areas would have had those language-capable systems, but they don't do engraving at all. I may be going about it wrong, and perhaps rather than checking jewelry stores for engraving capabilities, I should look for a dedicated engraver. I didn't really think that such services existed, but perhaps they do?
Dedicated engravers do exist, as a matter of fact. I can't say I've seen such services in North America, though.
[DOT].L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-05, 02:05   Link #363
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
[DOT].L - True, I don't think i've seen one myself either. Maybe when I go to china town and visit the stores they've setted up.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-05, 14:55   Link #364
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
silly question:

whats actually the difference between symphonic and classical music?
i was wondring ever since i made that classical music suggestion thread way back about ghibli like music and someone told me that was symphonic music, but i kinda gotten confussed ever since :S
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-06, 01:05   Link #365
innominate
hiatus almost permanent

Oh there is a difference? O_o

Hmm maybe symphonic music refers to an orchestral composition whereas classical refers to a type of music played during a specific time period. Most symphonies are classical I suppose. Some aren't, and many classical pieces aren't symphonic.

If anything, there's always wikipedia ^^
innominate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-06, 07:37   Link #366
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

i dont like wiki, but a possible explanation is that classical is old.. and symphonic is new?

o.o;

EDIT
and one more to add:

in Dreamweaver in the html window whats the command for linking an ID to another page

EDIT2: okay found the command, however it still wasnt working for me, this is my 2nd try to edit.. for some reason i wasnt allowed to edit my own post.. donno why

okay lets try again:
i got the link code now (no clue on whetter or not im using it the right way but heck..) however i got 2 problems now

#1 my header image wont show for some reason, i got it in my CSS sheet, a square in the right possition, the right size and the right directory adress but it just stays white (or any other background colour i put in)

im posting my CSS and HTML coding in the post in spoiler tags, maybe someone can pin point me to the right direction because i have no clue on getting it right (suxors at website making -_-; )

2# okay so on my main page i got buttons on the side that link to other pages, however i made images to fill the button spaces and (like the header) they wont show up, i first tried it in the CSS however they stayed white for some reason, then i tried to put the coding into the HTML document with the <a href stuff however then they only pop up as red crosses in white squares as in a image no avaliable kinda thing, while i put int he right directory adress...

the solution could be simple, but heck i know so little of html coding and css (not even starting about java script) that its all alien language to me (would say like math, but math makes more sense than this stuff)

Spoiler for CSS coding:

in the CSS i still have the image links for the buttons (named: home, water etc. up untill content) im gonna try now to see if it does work when i delete them and only have the image links in the HTML (though i wonder if it will even make a difference -_-; i should just kidnap my teacher, get his brain in a pickle jar ad carry him around to ask stuff 24/7 )

Spoiler for HTML coding:

as for last, dont ask me why im using the coordinates.. i just dont know how to get the buttons underneath each other lol

Last edited by -KarumA-; 2007-06-06 at 08:10.
Old 2007-06-06, 15:01   Link #367
Sephi
Thinking outside the box
*Graphic Designer

I only did water and riool. You can press it now and it will link to google. I didn't fully understand the question. But i gave it a go. And btw you can applie the same thing to other buttons and the top banner like thing.

Change the following in your html (replace the old)
Spoiler:

And the following in css (replace the old)
Spoiler:

As you can see i named the img waterlol and rioolol.
Those img must be at the location you given to it when you selected where the pic came from. For me it looked like this
Spoiler:

Site will look like this, if you click it you will go to www.google.nl as i put in the html
Spoiler:

I'm in no way a good coder and i'm really awfull at making websites myself. And i'm sure there is a prettier way than what i did with the css and html. But it works :P

Currently watching: Aria the Origination & Dennou Coil
Sephi: Anime Icons | Signatures & Avatars | Renders
Sephi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-07, 00:00   Link #368
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Just in case anyone was interested, I found a place that does Chinese characters on the rings. It's Cascada Design Studio. They only deal with titanium rings, and they do the design work on the ring they send you (as opposed to a dedicated engraver, where you could send them what you want).

My sister thinks their prices are a rip, but they seemed decent to me. They have some nice options. The one that particularly appealed to the engineer in me: which grade of titanium you want (commercially pure titanium, capable of withstanding 40,000 psi, or aerospace-grade, capable of withstanding 130,000 psi). I messaged them and got a response pretty quickly - they should have the ability to do engraving on the inner part of the ring by the end of the summer, an option that I wanted. So I'll hold off until then. If the rings turn out as nicely as they look in their pictures, then there'd be no need to look anywhere else.

I'll keep searching, but I'm keeping my eye on them.
Old 2007-06-07, 01:32   Link #369
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Ledgem - Titanium? Ewwwie... that could be expensive. Wonder if gold is any cheaper, silver, pyrite ^_^.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-07, 01:58   Link #370
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

i managed to find out why the images werent working lol, well a friend of mine did.. and yes its very silly the images were in JPG and not in Gif, JPG doesnt show well in html website coding thus they stayed white >.<
Old 2007-06-07, 12:47   Link #371
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoie_Emesai View Post
Ledgem - Titanium? Ewwwie... that could be expensive. Wonder if gold is any cheaper, silver, pyrite ^_^.
I'm not big on jewelry, so I'm not sure of prices. The only ring I've bought before was one from Tiffany's, made of sterling silver, and it was over $200. They're a brand name, so that may be why the price was such. I'll have to look into how the pricing of titanium compares against silver/gold/platinum. Either way, given my past purchase experience, I thought that the titanium seemed to be a pretty good deal. (Unless it makes for poor ring material.)
Old 2007-06-07, 12:54   Link #372
innominate
hiatus almost permanent

Haha... I bought a ring a few months back to practice magic and it cost me 70c sing. Stainless steel. Ah, but it was cheap. Probably the best offer I could find, and the quality was good too ^^.

Depends on what you intend to do with it, really.
innominate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-07, 13:23   Link #373
Sephi
Thinking outside the box
*Graphic Designer

I just started with watching Ghost in the Shell. And i got some questions.

Relations

I watched the first movie from 1995. And from what i understand the anime GitS S.A.C. (2002-2003) is a alternative setting of the 1995 Movie right? But should i watch Innocence if i only saw the movie from 1995?

And what order should i watch GitS? Since i'm getting a bit confused even with the relations drawn out. I basically want a good picture of what GitS is about. But i'm not intrested in recaps and summaries and stuff.

Old 2007-06-07, 13:49   Link #374
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

you CAN watch innocence when youve watched the 1995 movie, innocence may be produced way later but it IS atually a continiuation of the 1995 movie (when you hear about several things being said and the ending youll understand)

the movies however have nothing to do with the series, maybe same kind of plot and story but they have nothing to do in general and if im correct this is the series order

GITS Stand alone complex
GITS Stand alone complex 2nd gig
GITS solid state society (OAV after 2nd GIG)

for the movies its just simply the:
Ghost in the Shell movie from 1995
Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence

i watched the movies first, well atleased the first one before i started with the series, after stand alone complex i stopped, still planning on picking up where i left though and after the stop i watched the 2nd movie which around that time came out on DVD
Old 2007-06-08, 00:31   Link #375
Sephi
Thinking outside the box
*Graphic Designer

Ah ok, thanks. I'll check the second movie when i got time. I'm not to impressed by the first movie i saw. And i remembered checking S.A.C. a long time ago. I saw the first episode which didn't made much sense to me and i stopped then.

I thought first movie would give me some more info about GitS and i would understand the anime better if i saw it.

Old 2007-06-08, 01:57   Link #376
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephi View Post
Ah ok, thanks. I'll check the second movie when i got time. I'm not to impressed by the first movie i saw. And i remembered checking S.A.C. a long time ago. I saw the first episode which didn't made much sense to me and i stopped then.

I thought first movie would give me some more info about GitS and i would understand the anime better if i saw it.
yes the first movie isnt like THE best, however movie 2 surely makes up for it in graphics and style

and yes if youve watched the first movie you'll get an idea of how everything works, not everything but a large part of it

i found that there were still many things i didnt knew when i started watching the first series, but then you finally get it

(for me thats like watching the End of EVA before even watching the series, which i did lol i was like o.o
Old 2007-06-08, 16:45   Link #377
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
(Note: I'm a huge GITS enthusiast)

Quote:
I just started with watching Ghost in the Shell. And i got some questions.
Like Karuma said, you're better off watching the movies as a whole standalone (lol, lame joke) unit, and SAC 1, 2 and SSS as another unit. The first movie is okay, but it doesn't do the manga justice. I liked the second one better for its take on getting a strong psychological response out of the viewer. It's got a heavy, really heavy cyberpunk atmosphere, till the point of exhausting the viewer.

SAC 1 is okay, too, but it's too episodic for my taste. SAC 2, however, managed to blow my mind entirely with its excellent plot, a serious analysis on revolutions and the role of the hero, and a solid science-fiction philosophy running on the background to boot. It sits right below NGE in my all-time anime podium.

Solid State Society was good, too. Not as good as SAC 2 (then again, it was a movie and not a series, so the comparison is kinda off), but very enjoyable nonetheless. It revamped some concepts from the first GITS movie, giving it a SAC context.

Note: The divisions you see on the SAC side of the page you linked to are basically storyline summaries of each season. Maybe, if you don't feel like watching SAC 1 (which is very episodic and not much plot-centered) you can go ahead and watch The Laughing Man, but it's nothing you'd miss from watching the whole season.

All in all, I highly recommend watching all of GITS animated versions. While I have my favorites on the list, the franchise is IMO one of the best takes on cyberpunk since the times of MadMax and Blade Runner. You've gotta be able to like the genre to fully enjoy them, though.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-09, 05:51   Link #378
gaguri

This has been bugging me for a while. Who's that girl with elven ears on animesuki page, and what anime is she from?

And is she there because the general population voiced an opinion that such an awesome character be displayed on the homepage, or because the admin has a power and he can choose any character he likes to be on the page regardless of people's opinions?
gaguri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-09, 06:10   Link #379
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaguri View Post
This has been bugging me for a while. Who's that girl with elven ears on animesuki page, and what anime is she from?

And is she there because the general population voiced an opinion that such an awesome character be displayed on the homepage, or because the admin has a power and he can choose any character he likes to be on the page regardless of people's opinions?
As a starter, why not just click on the image in question It will bring you to a thread which gives an indication who she is and where she comes from.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-09, 07:40   Link #380
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

How about a more visible way so she's more recognizable.. maybe her name on the front page as well.. I didn't even knew she's clickable

If you have problem on designing .. How about a contest to design front page as well...

btw, ojisan.. I just noticed... your avie now MOVE O__O!!!
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

Last edited by KiNA; 2007-06-09 at 07:52.
KiNA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
problem, q&a, serious